Confused about DVD-Audio and Regular Audio CD's

Username: Spetznaz24

Post Number: 3
I have a Kenwood 6.1 HTIB connected to a Panasonic DVD Player using a optical (toslink) cable, When watching dvd movies, the sound is awesome. However i have a question about dvd-audio.(my dvd player supports it) Somewhere i read that DVD-Audio cannot be played through optical cable. The player must be connected to the reciever via composite cables or something like that. Is this true. Can I have it connected both ways. If i have it connected via composite audio cables, will it still produce 5.1 sound in movies like it does through optical? Also I have bought this HTIB to enjoy my old audio cd's and mp3 cd's. However the sound isnt good at all, they sounded much better on my 5.1 computer speakers and my old hifi stereo system. The sound is flat. I think maybe its because i have it connected through optical cable. Do audio cds sound better when connected with composite cables or some other way. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 637
Somewhere i read that DVD-Audio cannot be played through optical cable. The player must be connected to the reciever via composite cables or something like that. Is this true.

Yes. The digital to analog decoding for DVD-A takes place in the player. Then, to hear the DVD-A track, the receiver or pre-amp must have multi-channel analog line inputs.

Can I have it connected both ways. If i have it connected via composite audio cables, will it still produce 5.1 sound in movies like it does through optical?

Yes, but the DVD-A signal is only available through the multi-channel line outputs on the player. Merely feeding the ordinary stereo R/L line output into an aux input on your HTIB won't do it.

The sound is flat. I think maybe its because i have it connected through optical cable.

I doubt the reason for your lies with the optical cable. After all....When watching dvd movies, the sound is awesome.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us