Kenwood 505 consensus???

Anonymous
From my hours of reading, it did seem that the Kenwood 504 was a real winner. However, as the 505 has now replaced it, I'm hearing good and bad things about it. What's the opinion on it from people who have used it or own it? I'm currently looking to buy a system ranging anywhere from $500-1000, obviously lower the better. I've read enough of the posts to know what seems more recommened, (the JBL speaker sets, possibly the Onkyo s650, etc..) but in terms of the current equipment that is now CURRENTLY available, what would you suggest?

kevin
I have the HTB-505, but don't really have anything good to compare it against.

I can say that I've been really happy with it though. It's definately lived up to my expectations. I think the only thing the 504 has going for it that the 505 doesn't is a few extra hook ups...

Anonymous
How about kenwood/unity home theater system which listed under$ 1000? Has anyone heart about it?

It appears the VR-6050 is actually more like the HTB-504. Unfortunately, there is no HTB package (with speakers) that includes the VR-6050.

The HTB-505 (VR-606 receiver) has 2 features that the HTB-504 does not have: Auto Detect (auto input mode switching between digital an analog sources) and Active EQ.

The HTB-504 had the following features that are not included with the HTB-505:

*B speaker outputs
*2 optical inputs (VR-606 has only one)
*Video 3 input section (analog and optical, mentioned above)
*Phono input
*S-Video input for Video 1
*CS 5.1
*3-Stereo
*Monitor section (used for a external graphic equalizer)

The tweeters in the HTB-505 have a better frequency response compared to the speakers of the HBT-504, so DVDAudio disc's sound can be more faithfully reproduced.

The VR-6050 does have all the features of the VR-507 (HTB-504's receiver) mentioned above, except for a monitor section (used for a external graphic equalizer). The VR-6050 retails for $350. Add a $150 speaker package that includes a powered sub woofer, and you have a system pretty similar to the HTB-504 at a similar price point. Or, add speakers that are slightly better, now you have something even better then the HTB-504.

Anonymous
The 505 has a 120 watt powered subwoofer. The 504 does not.I get a great sound out of my 505 and am very happy with the cinema eq. Although not as crisp as the Bose acoustamass its only half the price.

Calling all Kenwood HTB-505 users and Onkyo HT-S650 users. Please post or e-mail me your reviews on each of these systems that you are currently using.
Many thanks.

Flags6363@aol.com

Anonymous
You have to realize that some people do not have megabucks to spend on home theater so I can recommend how to get the most bang for your buck.

HTB-205 by Kenwood

HTB-505 by Kenwood

The 205 is 85% as good as the Onkyo HT-S650
at half the price and the 505 is 98% to 99%
as good and is $150.00 less.

Anonymous
I love my little Kenwood HTB-205. It blows the socks off of the HTB-505 and the HT-S650 at half the price.

Anonymous
I just bought a htb-505 from best buy yesterday. I'm very pleased with it, but it is my first home theater system, and I don't have much to compare it too. However, I thought I'd throw this out - BestBuy has the 505 for $399 and you can get a $100 mail in rebate off BestBuys website (click on rebates on the left side). The rebate ends at the end of February. Just in case someone is ready to buy...

Anonymous
Thanks everyone for your post to this site, has helped my search, I really like and needed the advise of the Dec. 31, 2002 post by anonymous, I have been reading and reading, was going to go with the HTB-805 V, untill I saw the HTB505 on sale at BestBuy with 150.00 in rebates, so am 99% sure will go their tomorrow and get it, providing its in stock, they also have the DVD Changer DV-605 on sale for 189.00, anyone have experience with it? I'm sold on Kenwood, we have an old Kenwood VCR date back to about, 1985, paid alot of money back then for it 379.00, but still works good. So if anyone has more input on the 505 vs. the 805HTB, and or the dvd changer 605 would appreciate your input, thanks
deepuff@hotmail.com

Anonymous
In ref to the above post, OPPS!! just realized this site is also in the business of selling audio equip., I apologize, for taking up space here, but hard to pass up the rebates, I looked to see if they were on the Kenwood site, so I would have more freedom in my shopping, but didn't find them. Thanks again

I have narrowed my Home Theater system choice to two, Yamaha YHT-300 and Kenwood HTB-505. Does anyone have comparisons on these two systems or opinions on the two systems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us