Archive through May 26, 2005

Bronze Member
Username: Hershon

Post Number: 13
Well I hate to ruin everyones bubble & tell you you wasted your money on your receivers but you have. First off I have Orbs and love them. The owner/designer of Orbs recommends you use a JVC DVD Receiver RX-31SL which you can get for anyone from $225 to $450 new and that receiver produced better sound quality for the Orbs then Denon, Rotell, etc. I personally tried several high end systems out after I bought my JVC Receiver and none of them produced the sound quality of the JVC with the Orbs.

Anonymous

I had asked Orb Audio in an email as to why they rave about the audiophile quality of their speakers and then sell JVC as a receiver to use with them and the response was that in it's category or price point they felt it was the best. They are not saying that the JVC will sound better with their speakers than anything else. They are appealing to a certain price point. They would acknowledge that better electronics would sound better. Sound is objective and whatever sounds the best to each person is the best choice for them.

FloridaSun
Unregistered guest
I asked them the same thing and they recommended the Onkyo 602, Pioneer 1014 and a few Denon receivers as one or two steps up from that JVC. I think the JVC is in their package b/c there aren't many DVD/Receiver combo units left on the market, are there? I picked the 602 and I am totally in LOVE w/ the Orb system. I spoke w/ Orb a few times and they were very knowledgeable and didn't even ask me to place an order when I called for information. Anyhow, if you pair the Orbs w/ a decent receiver (say $300-$500 range) you won't be disappointed.

Username: Divot

Noank, CT USA

Post Number: 7
My only concern with my decision to purchase Orb speakers is the uneasy acknowkedgment that at one point in my life my audio tastes must have serendipitously crossed paths with hershon Hershon...I offer my assurance to prospective buyers looking how best to drive Orb speakers that hershon Hershon's receiver comments should neither ruin any bubbles nor burst any bubbles while pondering a receiver purchase...the power handling cababilities and efficiency of Orb speakers allow for a wide variety of a/v receiver choices throughout a number of different price plateaus...at some point, common sense must be factored into the a/v receiver decision-making process...my audio experience has taught me that audible change at the lower price end of the receiver market is almost totally dependent upon one's speaker selection... audible gain is essentially negligible when comparing lower-end receiver to lower-end receiver when power is run through the the same speakers...change can become proportinately apparent when one moves to higher a/v receiver price points...these receivers can and do discriminate a speaker's sound imaging, detailing and sound staging abilities...one can easily get caught up in a leap-frog chase to find the ultimate compatible receiver/speaker match...if pursued, this path will quickly exit the world of a/v receivers and enter the separate component zone where counting always begins with the number 3...it is always possible that after a brief sojourn into digital camera and scanner country, hershon Hershon's LA bus tour will eventually re-enter the audiozone and mention the Orb's ability to quickly and reasonably upgrade from Mod 1 to Mod 2 status...a wise selection might include a 7.1 A/V receiver choice in preparation for future audio and video expansion plans...regardless, there are a number of possibilities for you to consider...keep in mind, however, that sometimes you truly do get what you pay for...hershon Hershon seems to be the only Orb owner who is still out searching instead of home listening...be well!

Username: Walkeye

Post Number: 6
Wow. What an intriguing thread! I have been researching modest 5:1 bookshelf systems for over a year now. I've considered Ascend, Axiom, Wharfedale, PSB, and Monitor Audio, to mention a few. As a result of an advertisement on ANOTHER webpage, I just took my first look at the Orbs. Then did a search here at Ecoustics for feedback from buyers. I did not see a single negative statment regarding these little guys. Based on what I've read, I see the following "pros:"

- Highly unobtrusive, and handsome = high "W A F"
- Favorable performance specs
- Favorable price point
- Direct marketed with highly-regarded customer care
- "Made in America"

The only reservation I have is the same one with Ascend, Axiom, Aperion and all the other direct marketers . . . I simply have reservations about purchasing a product sight (or sound, in this case) unseen. I know they have the return policy, but still a bit of a hassle.

These speakers are beginning to sound like "the best thing since sliced bread." Anyone have more praises (or negative feedback) for the Orbs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
You are totally misinterpreting what I said. I bought Orb Mod 1 Speakers & Supereight Sub and with the JVC DVD Receiver that Orb recommends (which I got cheaper online)the sound quality was incredible. I therefore decided that if the sound quality was this great with a not highly regarded relatively inexpensive (DVD)receiver, imagine how great it would be with an expensive high end receiver. Alot of people on another board said the same thing. I then, using the same Beatles CD as my reference, went to several high end shops, listening to different receivers such as Rotell, Denon, etc., albeit with different speakers, and none of them sounded as good as the JVC with the Orbs. I then even bought a Denon 2105 Receiver home with me to connect to my Orbs (as well as at different times a high end Marantz and Onkyo CD player) & again this didn't sound as good as my JVC receiver, so I returned all the above stuff. On 2 seperate occassions, I spoke to 2 different people at Orb and they both basically said words to the effect, that other more expensive receivers might technically be better than the JVC, but in terms of sound quality with the Orbs, the amount of diffeence I would see with these more expensive receivers would probably be not financially worth my while.

Noank, CT USA

Post Number: 8
To hershon Hershon...

Please explain which words in your sentence have been misinterpreted:

"Well I hate to ruin everyones bubble & tell you you wasted your money on your receivers but you have."

...hmmmmmm

Well, perhaps you can enlighten the masses on the specifics of your testing procedures.

...hmmmmmm

Maybe you can share with us your rationale determining that the Denon 2105 a/v receiver breaks from the JVC pack and enters your world of "expensive high end receivers."

...hmmmmmm

Much like the "Rolix" watches and "Louis Vitton" bags hawked on big city streets, perhaps the "Rotell" receiver that you previewed was also an illusion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
You are in denial Noanker. If you can afford to throw away your money great, I'm not so lucky. I went to the following high end stores in LA, Ken Craines, Shellys, Magnolia. I played the same tracks from the Beatles Rubber Soul CD "Norwegian Wood" and "Nowhere Man", on every system I heard at each of these places. I listened to Rotell, Denon, Yamaha receivers with some expensive speakers & subs attached. The sound was nowhere as good as the sound of my JVC RX-DV31SL which Orb recomends, albeit I'm hearing these tracks on the stores settings with the stores accoustics with different speakers than Orb. I actually purchased a Denon 2105 receiver & a 1910 Denon DVD player from Magnolia as well as a Marantz high end CD player from Shellys and also an Onkyo 390 CD player as well (all of which were returned by me). As I also had a full second set of Orbs that I use in my bedroom, I attached this second set to the Denon Receiver and placed the speakers next to my original speakers. I also connected the same sub to the Denon as well. This was all done in my carpeted living room where my JVC was set up. I then burned 2 identical CDR's of "Rubber Soul". After I had set the Denon receiver up, I put both Cd's in the 2 receivers, played them at approximately the same volume level, and the sound quality difference was significant in favor of my original JVC receiver. The sound quality of the Denon receiver sounded flat compared to the JVC. The sound on the JVC was a juiced up sound, the Denon lacked balls. I've got a good set of ears as I used to produce a bunch of rock bands who's names you would probably recognize, so I'm pretty accurate on my assessment. The thing that bothers me about both this board and the other audio board I'm on is, people seem to be more impressed with the technical specs of something rather than what it sounds like to them. I agree on paper, I should have heard better sound from all of the above systems rather than my JVC RX-DV31SL DVD receiver, but in this case, for whatever reason, as the people of Orb said and recommended, the sound of the JVC unit is just as good if not better with the Orb than much more expensive models at least in regards to rock music. Whether classical music would sound better, I couldn't say.

firstentryintoHT
Unregistered guest
well I certainly didnt want to cause a disagreement, all I'm looking for is some constructive advice, read up on differnt sites, learn, listen and decide what is best for me. I've been reading up on denon and I do like their 3805 receiver and 2910 DVD player. I can fudge a few hundred on my budget ( I will sleep on the couch for a few days) but what I want is something that is quality built, expandable and will last but more importantly sound great to my taste. I've read up about the Magnepan MMG series and I do like those. I want options, that's all.

I'm here to learn....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
What I'd honestly recommend, as it sounds like you have a good budget, is to get your high end receiver & DVD player & also shell out $250 or so (you can get it new online) for the JVC system, and then compare the sound. If the 3805 receiver sounds better with the Orbs then send the JVC back (I'm assuming you can get this at a store with a return policy). If the JVC sounds better, then send the 3805 back and give me a hundred dollars for saving you a few thousand. Good lck on whatever you buy

firstentryintoHT
Unregistered guest
Hershon, thanks, it will be trial and error on my part until I find what sounds good to me. Who knows, it might even be a radio shack all in one as it comes down to what my ears like. Just because I have X amount of $$ to spend doesnt mean I need too.

Noank, CT USA

Post Number: 9
Hi and welcome back firstentryintoHT...You have caused no disagreement at this end...I think that we have collectively rustled up the neurotic delusions of a troubled audio soul...Sirhan Sirhan just needs to stop shopping for a day and simply download a compilation of his rather amusing posts in an effort to better appreciate his random rantings and snake oil purchases...anyone who claims to be so accurate in his listening assessment certainly needs neither the perspective nor validation of anyone on this board...my feeling is that he crossed the line that divides personal taste from expert opinion with his bubble ruination claims and someone needed to reel him in a bit...he's actually a pretty good egg who adds a lot of reading pleasure to a number of forum members' days...now if we can just figure out the size of the bus that transports him around LA...by the way, I owned Maggie I's back in the late '70's and found that the sound dispersal was significantly altered when body position changed...it would be interesting to hear them again...I drove them with some pretty impressive Audio Research separates...they remained a bachelor novelty until marriage when aesthetics trumped testoserone-driven sound and had the collective "we" trading in the Maggies for a pair of less bulky Linn Sara's...I feel that the Orb speakers work well for our current needs...our house is a painstakingly-restored 19th century New England post and beam barn that sits overlooking the point wher the Mystic River meets Fisher Island Sound...ceiling height ranges from 12 feet to 29 feet...full walls of glass are neutralized by plank floors and oriental rugs so sound brightness became a strong consideration... the entire house is wired for in-wall sound but I did not want the restrictive placement limitations created by the in-wall musak speakers...while I shared your lack of up close and personal auditioning concern, I also needed to keep in mind my wife's only request not to re-enter the '70's and fill the room with behemoth speakers, a rack full of electronics and a snake pit of wiring...I researched, looked and listened but always seemed to feel that I was compromising sound at the expense of appearance and vice versa...as a result of the prompt, professional and personal advice from Will and Ethan at Orb, I ordered the Mod I system with HOSS s/s stands...Mod I was so well received sonically and aesthetically that Mod I's soon after became Mod 2's...Gary, the creator of the magnificent HOSS stands, even custom-designed and built a rather unique center channel HOSS stand...it doesn't get any better than this team of audio professionals...the family loves the invisible Orb sound while my beautiful wife delights in the visible speaker/stand presentation...our no-tell Rotel effortlessly drives the Orbs to our complete satisfaction...although the Orbs met our needs they certainly aren't the be-all end-all of speaker technology...I guess that's why Howard Johnson's carries so many flavors of ice cream...given your budget, they are certainly well worth auditioning in your home as they represent great value for a remarkably affordable price...I again urge you to do your research at home while continuing to ask meaningful questions in this forum as well as other forums...at one point, however, you need to put the specs on the back burner and let your ears and your wife's eyes take over...have fun!

firstentryintoHT
Unregistered guest
and having fun is what its' all about. Thanks!

I don't need the latest and greatest since I look at computers the same way. I'll call Orb audition the Mod2 system with a few A/V receivers that I've been eyeing and reading up upon then find a set-up that my ears like. Part of the journey is to enjoy oneself and this is what I'm going to do. I have a selection of music and videos that I will be using as a base line for all. I'll let the thread know what I end up getting.

2Jonathans
Unregistered guest
Another happy Orb customer here...loved them from the moment I set them up. What a great value. Now I have to save up for the HOSS stands...

WONGA
Unregistered guest
Hi guys, i about to set up my first separates and have spotted the orb which fits both price/looks/ and im hoping sound. Ive chosen a set and I really just need your thoughts on the amp and cd its going to run on and if its ok, also does anyone know if the speakers are biwirable?

NAD C352CT - amp
NAD C542 - cd
KEF PSW2500 - sub - i cant have the orb sub because it wont work in my country n e other subs woth looking into?

Cheers

Zeiss
Unregistered guest
For those who are interested the Drivers are custom Tangband

bargamon
Unregistered guest
I just got the now discontinued JVC unit for $118 from Sears Liquidators found on E-bay. Paying $400 from the Orb guys was not gonna happen for that unit. I will wire the room for 6.1 or 7.1 soon but see this reciever as "disposable" for now. At that price point I can live with it for a year or two.

These Orbs are on my list cuz the soundstage is very forgiving given unorthodox installation. That is what made the Bose appealing is they sound great in a variety of angles. I just can't bring myself to do it! The pure hunt of bargains and sound it so much fun! Buying Bose is selling out to the convienence! I must admit, the bose sitting on my desk are neat little computer speakers that don't need a little sub to piss off others in my office, and the 4 bose 251's in my yard can fill it with great sound. I do want one of those table radios for the bedroom also. But none of those little cubes in the house! We all want balls, not cubes!

I think what "Sirhan Sirhan" is trying to say is he is happy with his JVC. Perhaps when putting these recievers in the "small speaker mode" it negates some of the finer amplfiers ability for depth and warmth. Just a theory. Speaker placement, acustics and digital "trickery" will play a big part. So many receivers just add more bells and wistles than pure sonic improvement until you get into a certain price point. The JVC (or similar specs per price)might be the most effiecnt buy when matched with a sub-sat like the Mod system. If you happy and you know it, clap your hands and enjoy the music!

Username: Neuronerd

West Orange, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 1
If anyone is still monitoring this board I'd like to extend a collective 'thanks' for the discussion on ORBs. Curious if TOBIAS had time to reflect on his purchase.

Also, has anyone set up the rears with a wireless transmitter?

Anonymous

Just want to say thanks to all who contributed to this board as based on it I have ordered some Mod1's to see how they are! Hope they are better than the A'Divas I turned down!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
To update, revise my previous posts, I was able to buy on Ebay in excellent condition a Denon 3801 receiver (lists at $1200 cost me $450 with shipping)& a new Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player ($350 list cost me $250 new)and this combination with my Orb Mod 1 Set Up is absolutely incredible and far exceeds my JVC sound. I listen to CD's via a fiber optics cable and the sound is absolutely incredible (as are DVD's). If you have some extra money around, I recommend you try to get the above items.

Post Number: 2
I now have had the ORBs for a few days. My system:
Outlaw 1050 receiver (since discontinued, but a great buy)
Yamaha CD/DVD 6480
RCA DLP HD61LPW42 HDTV
RCA Directv Receiver
ORBs (Mod 2 for front and center; Mod 1 for rear and center-rear; Orb subwoofer).
optical interconnects
AR subwoofer cable
Kenwood wireless for rears

While skeptical, I have been amazed by the Orbs right out of the box. HT was impressive from the beginning. I didn't receive the subwoofer with the speakers so I initially set them up with my Sound Dynamics (Canadian Company changed to Energy) subwoofer. Very clear, precise, and enjoyable to listen to. A couple of days later I matched the ORBs to their subwoofer. I really big difference. The ORB subwoofer is very dynamic and matches the ORBs well.

As for stereo listening, the ORBs are developing. Initially they were VERY forward with a real lack of depth. But with playing, the sound has rounded and acquired depth. I have been rotating through a number of cds daily to break them in and the sound seems to get incrimentally better. The tech guy at Orb quipped that I could just be getting used to the Orb sound. Possible.

As for the lack of tweeter, I do not miss one. The highs of the music I listen (acid rock to classical and jazz) are certainly within range of the Orbs. I am one of the males over 45 who can still hear high frequencies.
Honestly, it is just plain annoying. Video screens and electronics can put off god awful high pitched whines. I'd rather have roll off (-3:6 dB) at the highest frequencies than recreate for the sake of harmonics. I do not miss the 18-20K range at all.

One question remains hazy. Is the difference between Mod1 and Mod2 (yoking) just loudness? Why then would not amplification just compensate?

All in all, the ORBs are keepers. My wife loves the aesthetics. I certainly love the HT and either are growing to like the stereo or the speakers are breaking in nicely.

markmcintosh
Unregistered guest
Anybody out there familiar with my 20 year old KEF 103.2's? I have had them for about 20 years and I still love the sound, but due to new house and some compromises, I agreed to get some smaller speakers. I have a Sony 50" HDTV, Yamaha RX-V800 receiver, Dayton sub, and baby Advents for my rears. I love the Kefs and the sub, but the rears definitely need upgrading. Anyway, after college, a few years of apartment life, the dog peeing on the grills, etc, the KEF's look pretty ragged. Will I give up a lot in the sound I love from the KEF's if I buy the Orb's?

Post Number: 3
I don't know the KEF's first hand. Looked at a couple of descriptions and reviews. Would dare to say that the Orbs will be quite different in sound. Orbs are a single driver system; KEFs have a crossover. The posted reviews rave about the neutrality and smooth depth of the KEFs. Orbs will not elicit such descriptions, at least initially. The Orbs have a surprising full sound given their size. There is a 30 day trial period, so you have nothing really to lose.

Do you mean the advents are fronts or are you considering the orbs for the rear?

Mark McIntosh
Unregistered guest
I had the Advents as the 2 rears, but I ordered the Orbs all around. Mod2's for the fronts and center and Mod1's for the rears, plus the Orb sub. We'll see. If I can get close to the sound quality and make my wife happy, I win. If not, back the Orbs go.

iceland
Unregistered guest
hey guys what a great thread this is! so consistent unlike many others, im glad i found it.

In need of some expertise, thinking of buying the orbs Mod2 and have them shipped to iceland spoke to orb but their sub wont work due to voltage differences so whats the best sub to use with the orbs!!!!!

I have a Denon avr 2105 reciever,
a Pionner 575 dvd player to go with my Pioneer PDP50XDE screen.

the orbs guys recommended a few but id thought id ask u guys as well.

HELP!!!

Thanx

Post Number: 4
Well...
Another breakthrough, apropos to ICELAND. Last night had a couple of 'ears' over to hear the Orbs. Set the spacing, orientation and crossover to sub at 120Hz and viola! What a sound. Here are a couple observations: 1) the distance of the Orbs in stereo have to be at least 10' to 12' apart to get seperation, 2) crossover to to sub is critical. Hard to put a finger on the problem until I played Hogwood's Panchebel. Resonnance at low frequency is lost with a crossover higher than 120Hz. I'm using an Outlaw 1050 receiver to manage the subwoofer and it has incrimental settings from 80 to 240 Hz, 20 Hz. Now everything sings -- Jazz, classical, acid rock, metal and blue grass (I have eclectic tastes).

Thus, the subwoofer is critical. My inclination is seriously check out their suggestions. Also, what is the price range? The Orb is $400, for me it didn't make sense NOT to buy it. For you, it's not an option. Here's a link to Outlaw audio.
https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/bstock.html
For a LFM1, B-stock.
The subwoofer must be tight.
At least the price is right.

As for WAF, my wife's opinion is now icing on the cake.

Username: Rsan21

Had two sets of bose over the past several years and just bought the ORB,,, man what a difference can't believe the sound I have been missing out on. I use them on a Harmon/Kardon AVR 300 for both movies and of course music CD. I'll never buy Bose again.

AVExplorer
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I've been reading the posts here on the Orb systems and have been impressed. I am thinking about buying the Mod2 Home Theater setup. I was originally thinking of purchasing the home theater system with the JV DVD/Receiver, but I have a DVD/CD player and wanted to get a separate AV Receiver. Many posts suggested the JVC DVD/Receiver Orb provides with their system sounded better than trying to pair it with another receiver (unless you're willing to spend a lot more money). Can anyone recommend an AV receiver which works well with the Orbs for both music and movies?

I've been researching Denon and Harmon Kardon so far. Thanks.

Username: Rsan21

Bought the ORB's after owning twow sets of Bose I must admit the ORBs outclass the Bose in both Music and as a Home Theater. of course all of us hear things different. I use an older modelharmon/Kardon AVR 300 and they sound great. I stick with a mid to high end receiver. The only problem I see with the integrated systems is that what happens when the cd/dvd breaks etc. Plus if you want to ugrade at a later date you do not have to buy all new components again. Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 59
I don't think you will be disappointed w/ Denon or HK.

Post Number: 5
I have an Outlaw 1050 which has since been discontinued. One can be picked up on EBAY. I would look for clean sound with at least 5.1. The bundle does not look like a bad deal.

Unregistered guest
Thanks everyone for the suggestions on receivers. I also received an email from Ehtan at Orb. He recommended that focus more on features than power if I am looking for a more expensive receiver, since the Mod1's or 2 do not need much power to play loudly. He suggested the Onkyo 602 or any HK or Denon receiver. I've had good luck with Denon in the past, but I've read that the setup for their AV receivers can be complicated. I'll also check out the Outlaw. Any other suggestions for other receivers and cables/speaker wire to use?

Does anyone also have any suggestions for DVD players and CD players? Is it better to purchase separate units or ones that can play both?

I'm getting excited about my future purchase...I'm glad I waited to purchase a HT. I held off to purchase a system which could reproduce both music and movies very well.

Unregistered guest
Hi,

I had one more question. I saw the impedance for the MOD2s was 4 ohms nominal, although the web site states that the Mod2 is compatible with all popular receivers & amps rated at 6-8 ohms. Has anyone had any problems with matching the right receiver with the MOD2 and any potential damage?

First, I've seen nothing over the years to suggest that separate DVD/CD makes sense. The developmental changes can be rather quick compared to the lifetime of the player. The days when the expensive players are significantly different is past, probably to the chagrin of the companies producing them. The major players -- yahama, denon, philips, etc -- will all have great players. Expensive will not be a good guide, save to avoid the disposable ones.

As for cables, my way of thinking echoed here by numerous others is the interconnects make a BIG difference. For example, optical is better than cable interconnects. Speaker wire makes little difference for most applications. 16 ga is fine.

Funny thing about sound. You are the major determiner. We correct vision. Except for extremes, hearing is left unaltered. Objective measures in the laboratory only go so far; determining presence, but not appreciation. This is long way of saying try out the cables/wire you want. Like the Kentucky Derby just past, only spend what you can afford! You can spend hundereds on cabling without a discernable difference. But to whom? There are those that CAN discern differences. There are those than like to intimate that the differences are discernable. I would start out inexpensively, if the quality seems to be lacking, upgrade. That advice is trite if the work to wire is extensive, then go with the best you can afford and live with it!

Lastly, I absolutely HATE the wireless setup. I bought the Kenwood for the reas and it cuts out and the quality is pretty poor. If there are suggestions to improve I'm willing to try them, but I expect I'll be drilling soon.

EinsteinJr
Unregistered guest
The guys at Orb told me that the existing wireless technology from Kenwood works static free for only about 80-90% of the people. I guess that's not bad, but wires work 100% of the time if you can physically run them. They also told me they are coming out with their own digital wireless product in the next few months that is much much closer to wired sound quality in terms of signal/noise, etc. and will also have a lot less dropouts and problems like that. I still say go wired if you can, but if not, mabye call them up and find out more.

AVExplorer
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll stick with a full wired setup until something better is developed in the wireless world. I'll figure out a way to run the wires and hide them somehow if the difference in sound quality is poor. Besides it adds another project for to install the HT system.

Now I just have to decide on a receiver for the MOD2s. :-)

AVExplorer
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll stick with a full wired setup until something better is developed in the wireless world. I'll figure out a way to run the wires and hide them somehow if the sound quality is poor. Besides it adds another project for to install the HT system.

Now I just have to decide on a receiver for the MOD2s. :-)

AVExplorer
Unregistered guest
I had another question about DVD Recorders/DVRs. Can anyone recommend a good DVD recorder for a HT system? I was looking for something with an internal Harddrive or TiVo device integrated within the DVD recorder. IT's mainly for recording from TV or home movies.

Thanks again

James_Bean
Unregistered guest
Here's a question no one has asked....
If these speakers are so good and affordable how come none of the regular audio magazine's have caught on to them?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
To be redundant, I would recommend you get an excellent used Denon 3801 receiver for around $450 on Ebay including shipping, a Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player which you can get new online for $250 with shipping & Orb Mod 1 System and Supereight Sub. Unless you are planning to play your CD's, DVD's in a huge room, the Mod 1 set up is more than enough. If you do buy Mod 2, you are wasting your money with a capital W. I personally, because I have a second Mod 1 system in my bedroom, one day assembled all those speakers to hear what the Mod 2 set up would sound like and believe it or not, and I'm sure the people who own Mod 2 don't want to hear this and will tell me off, the sound isn't as clear or rich. Too me the only purpose in buying the Mod 2 set yup is if you have a huge room and you want more power. For most normal sized rooms the Mod 1 set up is more than enough. If there are people who started with Mod 1 and then went to Mod 2, and truly think the sound is an improvement without trying to justify their cost, good for you. In regards to a receiver, believe it or not, the JVC DV 31 SL which you can get for around $200-$250 new online with shipping gave me the best sound with the Orb speakers till I went to a Denon 3801. The JVC actually sounded better with the Orbs than the Denon 2105, and other high grade receivers.

To J_B:
I have no clue how regular audio magazines choose speakers to review. Stereophile reviews at such a high end, that I am left with speaker-envy, but no real information on a system that I afford. I guess the real question is: What would such information impart? Would a professional magazine issue a better review? Would you trust the professional review more? Is the absence of professional review a subtle condemnation of those not reviewed?

To Hershon:
I still don't understand the Mod 1/Mod 2 difference. Is there an advantage? If it is simply loudness, and the Mod are relatively efficient, and most modern amps like the one you tout have more the enough clean power for the Mod 1s, why have a yoking? Why not simply turn up the volume? The sub has its own amplification and can be separately adjusted. The point source is similar with yoking. Does the Mod 2 have any advantage?

James_Bean
Unregistered guest
Well, a "professional" review, IMHO, simply adds value to the product. It also adds credibility, that is the primary reason why companies get their products reviewed by professional groups in their industry. What we have in the case of the Orb's are user reviews, which are good, but will always leave that sense of "are these guys really *not* working for the company?". It's so damned easy to post a review that even one person can do it multiple times and use a slew of different names.

If Orb is proud of their product, why not put it out there and have professionals give it a spin? I think that plus their direct sales model will yeild them much more sales. In case you have not noticed, everyone who has come to this forum has come in with the questions "are these speakers any good?". Orb's marketing arm needs to see all these posts as potential sales and realize that they are missing an opportunity here. If Orb chooses to sell over the Net, directly to consumers, they need to realize what an average Net user needs before making a decision for that will cost $1000.

I am not dissing the product, just the fact that Orb Audio needs to "feel" out their pre-customer needs a little more and connect up with some groups that will give them rave reviews and will put to rest all doubts. Had that information been available, I would have already sent my order in to try them out. Since that info is not there, or is available from "fickle" sources, I am left to research on my own.

I'll concede that professional reviews have merit to many, and aid the marketing efforts of the company -- a seemingly win-win situation. As for myself, I look through everything, conceding nothing to professionals outside of identifying critical flaws. Inasmuch as sound and sound appreciation is subjective, it is very difficult to separate the source (music) from the opinion. Reputable sources such as Stereophile sometimes fall into this trap. I appreciate the reviews from quasi-pros, audioholics as much. Room dynamics and materials are such a large uncontrolled variable influencing sound reproduction and transmission that reviews can only be approximations. Unlike wine, the trained sensory apparatus for sound only goes so far.

Personally, I rather suffer the possibilty of 'plants'.

The Orbs could have been an elaborate ruse. I do like the internet model, I also bought from Outlaw. The bare bones style MAY just allow quality merchandise to be affordable!

As for the Orbs, the decision of many on this board and other boards seems to be the same: the big draw is the SIZE, the NEAT looks, the FIT and FINISH. These are not related what so ever to the sound.

Since I bought the Orbs I have critically listened to alot of material to make sure the Emperor is wearing clothes. A review from a professional magazine would do me little good in this regard. Similar to the opinion of Consumer Reports, I do not seemed to fit their audience.

This all said...I have to concede that I may have felt more secure in dealing with the company. Which is partly your point.

I did buy the Orb Mod2 setup. I read the 'professional' review linked here.
http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review2297_intro11492.html
Not really helpful to me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
James Beard nothing personal but I think you're very naive in regards to your idea of "professional reviews". The way the real world works, sorry there is no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny, the way reviews usually work in major publications for the most part is, that only companies that advertise in these magazines in the first place get reviewed. You heard right. Specifically, if I designed the greatest speakers in the world and I didn't advertise in any of these publications, the odds are that my product wouldn't be reviewed in those magazines even if they were the greatest speakers ever. If somehow one review by a fluke did get in, and the reviewer would need several officials OK on it, it would probably be small and buried in the back. As to the reviewers in these magazines, they are heavily
for the most part nudged into minimizing criticisms of said advertisers products and nudged to up their praises as well. I am not saying this happens 100% of the time but I'm venturing it goes on a significant portion of the time. Given that, you'd be an absolute fool to pay any heed to if something is reviewed in a magazine or not.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
To NeuroNerd. The one thing I'll conced is that power and volume are not necessarily the same thing.
If you don't have an Orb Mod 1 system I recomedn you get one (they have a money back guarantee). Then if you're happy with it and still out out curiosity want to try a Mod 2 System based on what people are saying here (which I totally disagree with I thinka Mod 2 System is a waste unless you have a huge room), just order 2-5 more speakers and hook them up. If you then prefer the Mod 2 set up over Mod 1 then keep the extra speakers- if not return them and go back to Mod 1.

Post Number: 9
Hershon...

Too late. Bought the Mod 2 for fronts and center, Mod 1's for rear and center/rear.

As for power, intensity and wiring in parallel: Seems that it is simply to lower impedence.
In Mod 2, the orbs will be driven at 4 Ohms instead of 8 Ohms. The lower load allows a similar intensity from less power. The less drive may be also better for tonality.

Also...
I was not going so far as suggest the professional reviewers are trying to sell me something. Too broad a brush. I guess my frustration comes a bit from the niche I represent. I'm not an audiophile, nor do I pretend to be. Many professional reviews are not intended for me. However, I do appreciate the vagaries of the other elements in the equation, e.g., the listener.

Varit
Unregistered guest
I find I disagree w/ audio reviewers as frequently as with moview reviewers...which means they are virtually useless to me :-( And I think professional reviews are sometimes "plants" just as much as an internet post could be....if a company is spending $100,000+ per year to advertise in a magazine, they get a good review.

Post Number: 10
I have found sites wherein the Professional review acknowledges up front that they are given the equipment, at least for an extended period of time for the review. The reviewer clearly wants to continue this relationship, thus the color of these reviews are rosier.

The one most help is a real side-by-side comparisons of similar products. Four three-way floor standing speakers, or four subwoofers. I have not found the equivalent of Road & Track, whose primary concern is their reputation.

Word of mouth is still extermely powerful. Look at EBAY, the more direct the review of consumer to merchant the better the experience in general. While there are oddballs, I prefer this relationship. So...

I would rather buy from an internet company with the possibility of lower overhead passed back to the buyer, and risk a fraud, then generally pay brick and mortar establishments for the privledge of passing the goods onto me (sometimes after a distributor). So if ORB is a bit inept in its marketing, that budget even to pay someone does not fit into their pricepoint. Judging from these boards, they sell quite a few.

What I haven't seen is reviews or comments from people who bought Orbs, then returned them.

Also, side-by-side with Gallos (or at least someone who examined both).

Another curious thing, I didn't find Orbs on the secondary market anywhere.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Another interesting thing about Orbs is based on conversations with one of the owners of Orb, they rarely get any returns and as NeuroNerd said, I've never seen them listed on Ebay.

I think Neuro in the post above meant Amazon.com for reviews (I may be wrong). I usually sample reviews on Amzon.com as well but almost all of them have 1 or 2 bad reviews from idiot nut jobs so you have to kind of balance things out for yourselves. CircuitCity.com believe it or not, has
excellent reviews by customers which I'd go by more than those on Amazon. Funny enough the other board I'm on, audioreview.com, the majority of the people on there are only to happy to quickly dismissOrbs without having ever heard them. The difference between that board and this is to be honest, there is more participation on the other board but more posts about Orb on this one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Simple clarification...
I meant EBAY. I am referring to the transaction between seller and buyer. ORB would die quickly if reviews from the nonprofessional were not positive. Orb, Outlaw, Norh and others are completely dependent on the internet medium. Feedback directly influences sales.

Companies selling in brick mortar stores with distributors can survive a long time with bad reactions. It is divide and conquer.

Amazon really fit the model early on. It is SO large that feedback on Amazon is about a particular product, not Amazon as the distributor. By now, Amazon is relatively immune. Even delayed shipping during holiday seasons is considered an abberation and dismissed.

EBAY sellers are directly affected by adverse feedback. Poor feedback and a seller is ostrasized. That includes poor merchandise. Internet direct sellers harkens back to the small business model of the past. Service and quality first. Price must be competitive.

Outlaw is another example. I've owned Outlaw for years and am completely satisfied. I've told others and they have bought Outlaw products. Outlaw is completely dependent on the internet for sales. So bad reviews, whether by ordinary consumers or professionals will quickly kill sales.

So, I'm strangely more confident in ordering direct internet products then massed produced products.

Fit and finish are really telling for most consumer products from cars to audio components. The company cutting corners (Chrysler years ago before Daimler) is obvious. While pretty can distract one (the present Jags), care in making the product and the quality of parts does contribute to an overall positive feeling. In this regard, I put the Orbs in the catagory of Outlaw.

From my understanding, OHM and others should be there too.

Username: Nossus

CT

No worries on the Mod2 purchase. I've set up my system as a mod1 and later as mod2. The mod2 on my system, to my ear, sounds fuller with a broader soundstage. Try it out both ways. Everyone has their own preferences.

I'd even consider a mod4 for the center - wired in series for 8 ohms. I'm feeling I need more detail from this channel in my room, but it would sacrifice the hidden speaker thing I have going on.

I think that the product has represented itself superbly based on buyer feedback in this forum and in others on the internet. It has been made known by anonymous and registered posters that the speaker systems are of excellent sound quality and make, and the customer service prompt, informative, and helpful.

I would also say that a professional review might help to further legitimize these opinions to prospective buyers. Some valid analysis of the sound may allow consumers to decide what trade-offs are acceptable when moving to a more "aesthetic" speaker.

Although I love the sound of these speakers, I do not feel, as others may, that they can compete sonically with larger and more expensive, unsightly floorstanders and bookshelves. In the niche market of compact and attractive speakers I'm sure they compete quite successfully with others, both in their sound and look - especially in their value.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
I have the JVC unit I got for $118 new from Sears liquidaters on E-bay.

The quailty DVD you get depends more on the quality of your Moniter.

ITs a very nice unit, with a good clean sound. Sub provides the richness. I consider it disposable at that price, a steal for its performance. I have to spend at least $300 (HDMI SONY output) dvd, and $500-$1000 for a reciever to make any SUBSTANTIAL improvement.

Problem is, recievers get pricy on bells and whistles. I have a six channel onkyo602 for $250 in a different room and its nice for the money.

Getting inexpensive recievers with built in crossovers is not as hard as it was a year ago. JVC unit is discontinued.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
I have the JVC unit I got for $118 new from Sears liquidaters on E-bay.

The quailty DVD you get depends more on the quality of your Moniter.

ITs a very nice unit, with a good clean sound. Sub provides the richness. I consider it disposable at that price, a steal for its performance. I have to spend at least $300 (HDMI SONY output) dvd, and $500-$1000 for a reciever to make any SUBSTANTIAL improvement.

Problem is, recievers get pricy on bells and whistles. I have a six channel onkyo602 for $250 in a different room and its nice for the money.

Getting inexpensive recievers with built in crossovers is not as hard as it was a year ago. JVC unit is discontinued.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
I too am surprised about the lack of coverage. BUt even Gallo took time to get noticed, and I don't recall seeing Sound and Vision review them either.

And yes, advertisement does drive much of it.

Rare do you see any speakers get slammed. Negative equipment is dubbed "pricey".

I like direct models. I was always happey with my Cambridge Soundworks sats, and they did have a 30 day trail period.

I know when I go to tweeter and I am swamped wiht sleeze sales pitches and speakers that are not blowing me away for the undre $2000 I wish to allocate, I am discouraged. The Misson Nanos are cool in concept, but don't really do that much for me. THe totems are priced nice, have great reviews, but present a challenge as they are ugly. I have considered bose as they are invisable, easy to use, and sound decent. They say "lifestyle", its not a bad thing buy the way. IN my house, nobody uses the hi-def channels, and forget to change the reciever to "movie mode" from the music. I come home and movies are being blasted from the back yard speakers (4 bose 251's!).

The way my Den is configured, I need a sub/sat system. Since critical listening is no longer a reality given house full of kids, I don't want to spend $10,000 on as system I rarely sit down to really listen. I used ot put the money in the audio, not the video, now its the oposite.

I Think my ultimate setup will be the new outlaws 1070 reciever, Outlaws subwoofer, and mod2s in front, mod1's in the rear. Maybe 2's in the rear for the giggles of it. At $599, the Outlaws sub is a great buy, but maybe 2 super 8's are the way to go. In a 20x16 room its over kill either way, but there are many openings in the room, and I have never had a sub I have been truly happy with.

My goal is to have a lot of bang for the buck, and since I like doing the research and pricing, its important I feel "smart" about my purchase.

There are times to pay for good advice from investmtent people, Tax attorney, and wife, but if I am doing it my self, Im not paying retail!

The ORBS will fit my situation perfectly providing the sound is as advertised. Those new Copper finsih balls look great!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Bargamon & others You guys make the simplist thing sound too complicated. As an incredible amount of different people all raved about the Orbs and they have a 30 day return policy, just buy the damn thing already and quit yapping, nothing personal. It ain't rocket science and you have no risk. That was exactly how I came upon Orbs well by the way.

AVExplorer
Unregistered guest
As for inconnects for a HT system, does it make a difference where you purchase these cables? I'm looking for optical and digital component cables and wasn't sure how much of a difference it would make if I purchased from a local delaer or purchased on the web (such as "Better Cables or Pacificcable.com).

Also do you recommend 14 or 16 gauge speaker wire for the Orbs?

Thanks

Username: 95bcwh

All,
I'm a newbie so please help to educate me. After reading all the rave review here on the Orbs it really has tempted me to have a go at it. The problem is I have never listened to the Orbs so I have no idea what exactly do they sound like. I recently checked out a Paradigm dealer and he put up a system that consists of :

Monitor 5 - front pair $580
CC-370 front center - one $ 380
PDR-10 subwoofer - one $380
ADP-170 - rear pair $480
Receiver Yamaha RXV 559 - one $400

Adding up will everything cost $2220 and this exclude tax and cable.

So the question is, the Orb Mod1 HT is available at $749 (latest price) on Orb Audio website (I checked yesterday 11 May the price was still $699!)

My question is, how much better will that $2220 Paradigm system will sound compare to the $749 Orb? The price of Paradigm is 3 times or more, but does it sounds 3 times better?

Thanks for feedback.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12

The speaker wire I use is standard 16 ga. As I posted earlier, and consistent with many, speaker wire for most installations matters little. Interconnects are VERY important. Where you purchase can make a difference in interconnects. I have bought connects from companies with very poor quality control. I have been happy with IXOS, which are middle of the road. One piece of advice: if you use a cheaper or not well known company, use a volt meter to verify connections. It is cheap and could save a ton of time and irritation.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Hi Barry Hii - If you can buy your Paradigm at a store with a 30 day return policy, if I were you then I'd buy both the Orbs and the Paradigm, and simply return the one that you're least happy witjh in terms of money and quality.

AVExplorer
Unregistered guest
NeuroNerd,

Thanks for the feedback. As you can tell I'm new to the HT arena and wanted to find out as much info on the cabling and peripherals prior to purchasing the Orbs to experience what everyone has been raving about. I guess I shouldn't wait too much longer as ORB just raised their prices on all systems. They also added the combination Mod1/2 combination systems many have purchased as a separate package.

Besides IXOS, can you recommend other cables (mid to high end). I realize this can be quite an expensive, but vital part of the HT setup. Also did you use Monster 16 gauge cable or just standard 16 guage as you mentioned?

Can you or anyone else also recommend a good Cd recorder with built-in Tivo (or similar) or a harddrive?

A friend of mine had wanted me to demo some other HT systems in some local audio shops, such Aduio Connection in Verona, but I want to try out the Orbs first. From what most people have said, I probably won't look any further once I hear it.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
AV...
I'm not a raver!
I would still characterize by impression of ORBs as pleased and satisified. I'm now in my third week of the 'trial' period. The one constant is my wife LOVES the ORBs. AS someone posted earlier, and it is true of myself, it is the form factor first and foremost that sold the ORBs. The sound is so surprisingly full, but don't get the impression that from me that the ORBs are wonder speakers. Hence, ORB discussion is part of HT.

I used a quality flat speaker wire. I believe AR that was a closeout at:
http://www.accessories4less.com/Amazing/brandCategories.asp?CartId=1-EVEREST-310 9151TXSWC75&ShopBy=B&tpc=
Personally, I have not been impressed by Monster.

I took a real step backward yesterday as my Yamaha DVD 6840 decided that reading CDs and Dvds was not part of its job description. All on its own the Yamaha decided it would be best viewed as a large black object that stored 5 cds, but played none. Bad timing all around. So now I'm forced into the market for a DVD/CD.

Else...
Should I consider repair? My sense is that this is disposable. I had for three years.

AVExplorer
Unregistered guest
Neuro

I was going to purchase flat speaker wire (either IXOS or AR), but what did you use to attach to the flat wire in order to connect them to the Orbs? Did you just use pin connectors that can crimp or twist onto flat wire? I wasn't sure if the Orbs would accept banana plugs.

I wanted to use 14 ga flat wire since I had to run the wire over 50 ft since I cannot run it under the rug and most manuever around walls and openings. IXOS has 13 or 15 ga and AR only had 16 ga. I wanted to be sure they would fit into the Orbs, since I know they accept no greeter than 14 ga.

As for your Yamaha DVD player, I would probably shop for another player rather than repair it. You've had enough use out of the player. I would also keep the Yamaha to see if someone could repair it cheaply.

AVExplorer
Unregistered guest
Neuro..

I had one more question about interconnects. I've been looking at the AR Master Series vs. IXOS. Do you recommend the IXOS over AR? If so, which series of IXOS interconnects do you use (HXD408, 608..etc)?

A few websites said AR is a better value, although IXOS is a better overall product.

Thanks Herson for reply. I will most probably give Orb a go. By the way, can you suggest a place where can I get fiber optic cables without being ripped off? Is there one that's compatible to hook up between Orb speakers and the receiver?

Regards

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Yeah...
I talked to my engineers, and its trash. Go figure, set up the speakers and the dvd/cd changers dies!

Are you going with Mod 1s or 2s? If Mods 1, then 14 ga will fit. Mod 2s makes it more difficult and tricky. The parallel jumper (18 or 20ga?) merges with the speaker wire.

That's another point. I had soldered banana clips for my old speaker connections onto the flat wire. With the Orbs, connectors are not recommended. Once I tried to set them up I understood. If you're trying to keep the wire relatively hidden, then soldering the jumper or merging wires with be difficult and bulky. So, I did what they recommended. Twisted wire with the jumper into the push post connection of the Orbs. If this seems confusing, look at the connection directions on the Orb site.

Barry...
The optical connection will be between the receiver and the DVD or satelite or cable or other source. Optical is the way to go. If there is a difference between optical cables (which can be a foot or two long) I would be amazed. I can't think of a reason why any quality optical cable would differ from another in the slightest.

As for the AR/IXOS comparison, at least this is actually cable and connections. But I'm the wrong guy. I bought and like IXOS for the subwoofer and interconnects. I would buy them again. However, I have never done any formal or informal tests of them in comparison to AR. My sense from others is that both are quality companies, with IXOS a shade above. But there are others populating this board that would be better to answer.

AVExplorer
Unregistered guest
See? Now you can optimize the system even more now with a new CD/DVD player. Watch the same thing happen to me in about a month!

I'm going to purchse the MOD2s for the front and center channels and have 2 Mod1s for the rears. I figured I would use the flat speaker wire for the rears only, since I have to run that wire around a few obstacles to the back of the room. I will use 16 gauge wire for the fronts and center channel.

I checked with accessories4less.com and they had AR 16 ga flat speaker wire. They also had 13 and 15 ga flat speaker wire from IXOS. Orb had suggested that I use 14 ga wire for the rears if I had to run over 40 ft of speaker wire to reach them (I need about 50 ft/speaker). They also suggested I use pin connectors rather than banana plugs.

Do you think I'm ok with 15 or 16 ga or will 13 ga work with the pin connectors?
I will only need the flat speaker wire for the MOD1s in the rears.

Will the pin connectors fit into the MOD1s without a problem (no matter whether I use 12-16 gauge wire, which the pin connectors accomodate)?

I see what you mean about the MOD2 setup, since you would have to fit the speaker wire into the post opening along with the jumper cable.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Sounds remarkably like my setup!
Only difference is that Orb didn't recommend pin connector, but bare wire interlaced with the jumpers. Oh well. Just remember that all things being equal, the few the connectors the better. You can tell me how it sounds.
You can get a pin connector to fit any of those gauges, but you might have to order online. I like accessories 4 less. Also 14 with Mod 1s would work best.

Alas, I must upgrade. My internal debate started last night. Go with the reasonable DVD/CD options or upgrade to the new standards (SACD etc). I have to have least progressive scan to match the HDTV. Different review boards, I guess!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
By the way, with the CD failure I hooked up my Rio Karma to the system. Not nearly as good sound. Either it a fundemental difference of MP3s (all mine are 320kbs), a mismatch of settings, or MP3 suck.

AVExplorer
Unregistered guest
Once you start getting into digital audio/MP3's, that's a whole different arena. There are a lot of variables that affect the sound quality for MP3. A friend of mine wants to sell his CD player and use just digital audio stored on his PC.

He insists that for straight music though, the future is with a PC solution using lossless like FLAC and then running it into a good USB DAC!!!! No jitter whatsoever!!!!! They say that this solution is as good or better than even a $10,000 cd transport/DAC!!! However, there are a lot of variables. One needs as quiet a computer case, and then many ways to tweak the software - turn off the windows, use ASIO, etc. He believes Audio Streaming technology will replace the conventional stereo.
He sent me a link to check out wavelength audio for their "Brick DAC": http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/Cosecant.html

He also sent this link for another stereo solution:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/zero-one_e.html

It is essentially an all in one box hardrive
server/DAC that goes directly to one's amp. He has almost his entire CD collection on his PC and doesn't think he will buy CDs again. He will only purchase them to then rip them lossless to my hardrive.

I think I'll stick to the conventional stereos and HT for now, but it's amazing to see what's down the road.

I will probably order the Orbs within the next 2 weeks. That will give me time to purchase the accessories and a receiver. I'll let you know how it sounds once I setup everything.

This same friend also recommended "Audiogon.com" for used mid to high end stereo equipment. However, it's always good to have another venue for stereo shopping. His final advice for a receiver was to buy used mid to high end equipment. Again, I just have to purchase something and see how it sounds.

Post Number: 3
Thanks NeuroNerd! I have decided to go with Orb. Now I'm just deciding whether to go for the Mod1 hometheater ($749) or the People choice Hometheater ($999). One factor that would influence my decision is what receiver should I get? I trust Herson on his recommendataion on JVC RX-DV31, but Herson has the Mod1 package, so I was wondering if this same receiver is powerful enough to drive the $999 package? or even the Mod2 ($1169)?
One thing I don't understand because of my naiveness is, I look at the spec of JVC RX-DV31 it tells me it can send 100Watt to each channel, but the spec of the super 8 subwoofer says it peaks at 400watt and can deliver a continuous 150watt. So where is this subwoofer get his extra watt from?

The last thing is I cannot seem to find the discontinued Denon-3801 anymore..is is 3802 any good?

Thanks & regards
barry

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
AV...
Thanks for the heads up. I have talked to a few people who have set up the computer based systems, but I haven't heard them. If the HD is large enough and the rip is true, then access is the best. I already have wireless for the internet connection and use a notebook. So the computer model does really fit my lifestyle. I would like to hear the high res audio.

Why hasn't anyone released a multidisc dvd with advance picture and sound? Plenty of multidiscs and plenty of advanced picture and sound, just not together.

Barry Hii...
Glad we could help. I have no experience with these other receivers and amps, I have an Outlaw and am satisfied.

The Super Eight is an amplified subwoofer; control is given by the receiver, amplification is produced by the subwoofer.

Just a thought...
Over years of listening I have had two (2) amps/receivers. I've had three sets of speakers counting the Orbs. But I've have 4 cd/dvd players! That is pathetic. That doesn't include a philips and toshiba I shipped back during warranty. I am confident the Outlaw will last a considerable time. But these disposable DVD/cd players irk me. I don't know the more expensive just means more irritation.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
Just bought the Outlaw sub for $399 b-stock. The plexiglass top is not recessed! The only reason for the "b" classification.

I determined the super eight sub is only costing $200 more than if you delete it and only buy the balls in a mod2 set up.

Check around for the JVC unit, I paid $118 on e-bay for a unit sears was liquidating. They do this with discontinued stock. This reciever is very nice, and you can sit back and see which direction the market goes.

Outlaw has a replacement for the 1050 out soon, the 1070 will be "under $1,000" and chock full of goodies.

Used recievers are an excellent idea, but few are resold that are fairly new and have the built in crossovers needed for these speakers. ONe could always use the one on the subwoofer. If thats the case, why not use seperates also!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I was actually thinking of returning the Orb subwoofer and going with the B stock Outlaw! I'll probably stick, but I'm interested on how it sounds with the Orbs.

Sprung on the DVD today -- moved really fast for me.
http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?class=DVD&m=DPC-8.5&p=i
Bought the interga 8.5. Has a three year warranty and I hoping I don't need it!

I'm glad Outlaw came back with that price point. It is nice to have a receiver of that quality in that niche.

AVExplorer
Unregistered guest
Hey Neuro,

You started me thinking about buying the Outlaw. I was reading about the Outlaw 1070. I was also looking at the Marantz 7500 as well as Denon (3801 or the newer 3805). Hmmm...decisions, decisions. I know the Outlaw 1050 put out around 65wpc. Is that conservatively rated? Although Orb reccommended to buy a receiver of around 100 wpc, the Outlaw is more than enough to drive the ORbs?

A friend of mine told me to check out some higher end models for Rotel and Arcam, but I don't want to get carried away with the price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I don't know why Orb recommends so much power per channel. At 65W, the Orbs sound loud without straining or being underpowered in the least. My recollection was greater than 50W as the recommendation.

Outlaw presented the best value at the time. You know your own ears and budget. Frankly, beyond the specs of interest (distortion, power) and features (5.1,6.1,7.1) i'm not sure of differences would be discernable by me. At least on the DVD end, I had certain features which demand price (multi disc, HD, universal sound, etc). After that I don't have the lifestyle that I differences beyond modest matter. That is rather obvious since I bought Orbs (style, sound and bang for the buck).

Can a single component outclass the rest?

Anonymous

I don't know...but I think Bose is better. I actually have listened to the Orbs when I was buying my Bose system, and the Bose was better. They are the 151's, NOT the 151SE's they replaced these with. These are the black loudspeakers that somewhat look like the Bose 32SE commercial loudspeaker. I will put in a link from Bose Professional Products if you've never seen these, but you probably have since so many businesses are going to Freespace 16/32/32SE today.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/pro/products/fr eespace/fs32se.jsp&linksource=ddprod_txt_mod32se&pageName=/pro/index.jsp&ck=0

Anyway, they don't look near as cool as the Orbs, I'll admit. Just for a system of Orbs at the time (I can't remember exactly) was $800. A pair of the 151's sound as good as a full system of Orbs and cost $600 less--priced at $200. I don't need any center channel speakers because they sound great in the current setup. If they are facing each other, your sound is affected. That was my setup for day one--by day two I had switched them to where they were both on the same wall.

They don't sound tinny, as most Boses do. The bass is great. I played a lot of the original recordings of oldies on these that had not been "digitally remastered." In my opinion, the speakers took care of that for the most part.

Orbs are cool looking, but do looks mean everything? (Don't get me wrong, the Orbs sounded very good.) I think not. Even though the 151's are in a somewhat large black box, the driver is 4.5 inches. They sound like at least an 8 or 12 inch. They are very, very good. So get yourself some 151SE's. They replaced the 151 as I mentioned earlier. I think they are better than the 151's! Sound travels better with them. So, stick with Bose. If you find something better, go with that, but I still think Bose is still #1!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
The exterior Bose 151s sound better than the Orbs? I haven't been impressed with the HT speakers, especially for the cost. That is interesting.

Jacky
Unregistered guest
There is no way 2 Bose speakers sound better than an Orb system of 5 satellites and a subwoofer. It's impossible.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
To be clear, I haven't been impressed with *BOSE's* HT speakers --especially for the cost. As for the 151s, I didn't think they compared to the NHTs, Polks other exteriors such as Niles 20 (which I own).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Hi Barry Hi

You can get the Denon 3801 used on Ebay in excellent condition with a manual & remote between $400 -450 including shipping, either a a Buy it Now item or straight auction. I would not buy unless the seller has an excellent feedback record of over 10 transactions and he says the receiver is in excellent condition. If he uses the words "as is", "refurbished", "brand new refurbished", "powers on", do not buy. Also make sure the manual and remote are included.

Unregistered guest
Hi everyone. I have been following this thread very closely over the past several weeks as I was considering the Bose Lifestyle system. However, I can happily report that I purchased the Orbs (Mod2's for fronts and center, Mod1's for rear and the sub) and spent the weekend being very impressed. I have had the some KEF speakers for over 20 years and have never found anything I liked as much. I ordered the Orbs out of curiosity and truly felt like I would be sending them back. The sound is very full and rich, the detail and imaging is amazing on all types of music. I listened to classical, jazz, and rock, and the speakers were great on every type. I was really surprised how good the classical music sounded as it is the hardest type of music to reproduce. The soundstage was very clear. The sub is very tight on music and very powerful on movies. I watched The Incredibles with my kids and they couldn't believe the difference from my 10" Dayton sub. All I can say is that everything you are reading on this forum is true. Take the chance and order them. I don't think you will be sending them back. I did decide to upgrade the rears to Mod2's because I listen to music in 5 channel stereo a lot and both Ethan and I felt like it might damage the speaker to jack the rear volume up above +5. From what I understand, the speakers should continue to get better over the next few weeks as they continue to break in. The customer service was amazing. Ethan answered around 20 emails from me and even went online and downloaded my receiver manual to answer a crossover question. Great folks to work with and great speakers - I couldn't be happier. Not to mention that my wife is thrilled not to have those big speakers sitting on those big black stands anymore.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
I have bose 251 in my veranda and love the sound. ANd my computer speakers are bose, my car has bose, muy clock radio........Bose.

But those 151's are nice, but U-G-L-Y for my den. might be nice in the garage though!

I do think that a home theatre with the 151's all around with a good sub might sound nice, but now your talking about a different market segement. there are many fine box speakers.

THe little orbs sound and look great! There is a lot to be said about astetics. If you got the room, go floor, bot big shelves, go bookshelf. Got room for a big woofer for both, do it! Got a big bugdet, do it!

The Orbs are a market niche speaker with Bose, Gallo, and a handful of other speakers. I have not made my final choice, but am leaning to the orbs for price reasons, and the looks. There are other speakers I would prefer to consider, but my needs have changed as Movies have taken over my den, and while we play music more than we ever watch movies, its more as a background than sitting and critially listening to certain pieces. It seems these days I can do that with headphones while traveling, in the car, or in my home gym (M&K's).

THe orbs seem to fit my objective for the den.
O

AVexplorer
Unregistered guest
Mark,

Congratulations on your purchase. I plan to purchase the Orbs in the near future. Ethan answered many questions about them and suggested the MOD2/Mod1 setup. I usually listened to music in a 2 channel setup, but I wanted to get a HT system that reproduced music well. I plan on trying out some DVD-A's and/or SACDs on the system.

Ehtan suggested the Mod2s all around? How large is your room?

What DVD player are you using? I'm in the market now and was tempted by the Integra DPC 8.5. NeuroNerd above just purchased it and I've read some good reviews about it. I am looking for the ability to play DVD-A/V, DVD+-R/RW, SACD, and handle HDCD, HDMI, etc. There are a number of good sindle disc players in this market, but no changers. The Integra seems to handle most everything (except HDCD, HDMI, and there is no DVI out). Another model I've seen recommended is the OPPO OPDV971H. It's a single disc player which handles all formats, except SACD. There is no progressive play or HDMI support. However, it does have a DVI out, and you can use an adpater for HDMI support.

Any suggestions on good DVD/CD players? With a Carousel?

Mark McIntosh
Unregistered guest
I have not investigated any DVD/CD players yet. I have a Yamaha receiver and a (don't laugh) Toshiba DVD/CD/VCR unit. It is HDMI and all that other stuff and it plays great, but I am sure there are higher quality units out there. I just bought my Sony 50" HDTV and all the cables, Monster Power protection, etc, and of course I had to make my wife happy and buy a giant entertainment center. So, I am not the best person to ask about stereo components because after springing for the Orbs, my entertainment budget is overdrawn for a little while. I will tell you that I am very happy with my system. The DVD has a great picture and the CDs sound great, so it will be a little while before I look at any additions. From what I have read and heard on this forum, you have to be willing to invest a significant amount in the stereo components to see a significant improvement, so I started with the speaker system.

My den is fairly large (16' X 25') and the rear speakers are a good 10 - 12' from the listening position, which is why I am upgrading to the Mod2's in the rear. Bottom line is I really trust Ethan and he told me from the beginning I might have to do this, but he suggested I try the Mod1's in the rear and see if I could get by with that. I couldn't, so I am exercising the great flexibility of this system. A lot of people are good with the rears being Mod1's, but I chose to upgrade the rears too. Hope that helps a little.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Well I'll be! After reading AV's post, I had to look back at the DPC-8.5 only to realize that yes indeed it does not support HDMI!

I don't know if HDMI connections are superior to component and optical, I have both from by Directv HD receiver. I ordered the HDMI cable this weekend to try it out and compare. If suprior, I was going to buy another for the DPC-8.5. Now it is moot!

My thinking is similar. I want a carousal changer and few have universal support.

Mark...
Was the recommendation for Mod 2s all around specific for your receiver? I really haven't heard the rears fully -- the wireless is very disappointing and I still have not run wire.

Glad you like the sound. When you close your eyes it is really difficult to imagine that all that sound is coming from the Orbs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Upon further review...
HDMI or DVI will not likely change anything for my setup , at least for a while. The distance from my receivers and hdtv is at maximum 3 feet. Therefore, distance is not a factor. The HDTV signals and accepted resolution will likely stay the same at 1080i or 720p -- for a while.

Mark McIntosh
Unregistered guest
My upgrading to Mod2's in the rear didn't have anything to do with my receiver, mainly the distance from the rears to the listening position. Also, since I like to listen to music in 5 channel stereo, I wanted the same sound coming from the rears as the front. A little bit of necessity, but mainly just a personal preference. I just couldn't hear the rears well enough to suit me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I'll have to wait to hard wiring the Mod 1s to hear them myself. Nice thing, relatively easy upgrade!

AVExplorer
Unregistered guest
I was researching some more receivers and PreAmp/Amps before purchasing the Orbs. My friend told me to look into the Panasonic Digital Amps, since he had heard some good feedback about them.

I like the new Outlaw 990 PrePro paired with the Outlaw 7100 amp. Any exp with Outlaw PrePro? I was also tempted by the discontinued AV receiver. Other contenders were Arcam AVR300, Marantz SR-8500, Integra DTR-10.5. The Otulaw separates would be approximately the same price as the receivers I listed. Any suggestions?

Also had another question about DVD players. I have a Sony NC665P 5 disc carousel. However, it doesn't support DVD-A or SACD, which I want to explore. My forst thoughts were to replace it with another changer, but figured it would make more sense to purchase a single disc player that supported these formats as well as having HDMI, HDCD support, and DVI. I would use the carousel and this new player in the HT system.

Can anyone recommend very good single disc DVD players that play DVD-A, SACD, and have the latest HD support and DVI?

Silver Member
Username: Skyliner17

Saint Paul, MN United States

Post Number: 108
How do these Orb speakers compare with the paradigm speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
From what I can tell, DVI or HDMI support has the greatest impact with long distance wiring. If you have a projection-type HD, the distance between the HDTV set and the projector can be a considerable length. The other reason is bandwidth. The capacity of HDMI and DVI is greater than 3 wire component or modified component. However, that capacity is not utliized presently. The capacity also allows video and audio on the same cabling. However, audio from HDMI or DVI is not superior to present optical connection.

I do not have any experience with those receivers or the pre/pro.

Bargamon
Unregistered guest
Sony has a single disc HDMI unit for $300. Execellent reviews. If SACD is important, then do it.

I rarely buy the latest cutting edge. Wait two years. There is always newer stuff!

If you can buy a DVI unit from samsung for $150, and a decent 5 disc CD player for about the same, you have the best of all worlds. I find I am plugging my Nomad into my reciever more and more and playing it. running off the battery it will play 13 hours!

I bought a reburbished Bravo d1 for $70 on E-bay0. It has DVI, and plays MP3s also. Its slow to boot up, but I have it just for DVD's. My 5 year old sony 5 changer still sounds great, and the kids use it for DVD, and we use it for music still.

If the bravo gets me 2 years of use, its a bargain! and in Two years, the will be SACD deals, as well as other opportunities. IWth BlueRay,or other formats in limbo, I don't want to commmit by paying big bucks.

I noticed ORb has discounted the JVC unit to about $200 in the package. That is now a bargain! its still only 5.1, but at that price you can live with it a while, and replace it in time with a 6.1.

Unregistered guest
Hi All,

My family and I are in the final stages of building a new home that will have a media room. For the past 6 months, I have been dilligently searching, reading, and shopping for the best equipment that we can buy to outfit this room with our budget. This has been quite fun because since we've been married (11 years), we've been using the same stereo equipment that I had in college (c. early 90s). I think the technology has changed a little since then ; ).

I finally have purchased all the equipment and we will be moving into our new home early next month. I have been following this thread for quite sometime and since this thread was one of the reasons that I chose the Orbs, I thought that I would post my equipment list now and then follow this posting with another after everything has been set-up and the family has had a chance to enjoy it.

For the true audiophiles out there: the room that this will be in is a slightly oddshaped 17x16. There is some stonework and hardwood floors in the room, but we will try to prevent any echos with rugs, drapes, furniture, etc.

From a visual perspective: other than the speakers (of course), the TV will be the only piece of AV equipment in the room. All the equipment is nicely hidden in a closet and we will use an IR repeater to remotely control things.

I've purchased all of this A/V equipment on-line (Ebay, Audiogon, Crutchfield, Bestbuyplasma.com etc.). I have not heard a demo of any of the equipment and made these decisions solely based on reviews, threads, and where it was between a couple of brands, what was the best deal.

Here's the rundown:

* SAMSUNG - HLP5685W 56-IN HDTV DLP Rear Projection Pedestal Base Television

* NAD T 773 Home Theater Receiver

* SONY - DVP-CX777ES 400-Disc DVD/SACD/CD Changer (I thought that this would be a good idea to keep the kids away from the equipment and to prevent them from scratching the discs.)

* Hughes - HR10-250 200 Hour (STD) 35 Hour (HDTV) DIRECTV DVR w/ TiVo

* Harmony - SST-688 Universal wireless remote control with Smart State Technology

* Kenwood Sirius Satellite Receiver

* Whole House Speakers are NRG in-walls powered with a Kenwood VR-6060 Receiver connected to the NAD Receiver

* XBox will be connected to the receiver

* Most of the cables were purchased from Knukonceptz.com

* And of course. . . Orb Audio Mod 2 Speakers and subwoofer in a 7.1 configuration. The Mod 2s will be suspended from the ceiling with the Orb Multimounts. For all those that have commented on the wife appeal, my wife thought these looked great and even preferred these over in-walls. When I talked to Ethan to get more details, he told me that one of the few returns they had the past year was beacuse some poor schmuck's wife thought the Orb's looked too much like breasts and wouldn't let him keep them! Hopefully, that won't happen here!!

I'll report back to you in late June after we've had a chance to enjoy this set-up. I'm really looking forward to it!!!

Vincent,
It depends which Paradigm series you're comparing Orb with. I have the Orbs at home and I have also listened to Paradigm's Monitor and Reference series and in my "subjective" opinion, these two Paradigm series would out-perform the Orbs. However, you have to ask yourself are you willing to spend that extra amount of money to buy the paradigm?

Take one step back, I have listen to the following Paradigm Monitor series set up which would cost easily ($2500):
- 1 pair of Monitor 5 (Front) $650
- 1 x CC-370 (center front) $400
- 1 pair of ADP-370 (rear) $ $400
- Sub PDR-10 $400
- YAMAHA amplifier (can't remember the name but about $500)
- CD/DVD player (don't know the name)

Which will beat the Orbs setup which cost $1400:
- 3 x Mod2 (Left, Right, center - Front)
- 2 x Mod2 (Left, Right - Rear)
- Super8 Subwoofer
-JVC RX-DV31SL

And if you want a Paradigm Reference series, I would recommend going for Studio40 + sub instead of Studio100 only. This would easily cost you over $4000 for a similar 5.1 channel set up.

How much better is the Monitor setup compare to Orbs? To me it's about 30%-50%.

And how much better is the Reference series compare to Monitor? To me is another 30%-50%.

And I must admit that I did not take as much time listening to the Paradigm speakers as I did for my Orbs. Orbs has another plus point, they're made in USA (except the sub), and it's 200% better than Bose.

I went for Orbs, because the sound is good enough for me for the time being, and it's cheap and my family loves them. As for Paradigm, I may get one eventually but not in the US, I cannot accept the fact that Paradigm is selling at 60% discount in Canada. So while I have settled for Orbs right now, my search for the "ultimate" sound within a $5000 budget is still on going.

Username: Rockfeller

Just ordered Orb1 Home Theatre, based on the positive reviews in the discuss....

Two questions.
1. Is the location of Super Eight is an issue ?,
How Acoustimass in Bose designed so that it
can be hidden behind your sofa or screen etc,

I have checked with orbaudio.com tech support,
they say those low frequencies are directional
sensitive to human ears, so the super eight
subwoofer location matters to some people,

2. After reading FAQ about receivers on orbaudio.com, it looks like an average quality
low cost receiver will do great job,

Is there a suggestion for a single disk DVD player integrated in audio receiver(5.1, DD,DTS May be THX) for around 150-200, It will be great if it has Progressive scan with DVI out

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
While I originally used the JVC RX-DV31SL DVD/receiver which Orb sells and I bought seperately online at a lower price- while the sound is excellent with this receiver, the Orb Mod 1 sound is 1000 times better, a total night and day difference with a Denon 3801 receiver (retails for $1200 you can get it for $450 online) and a Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player.

Mark McIntosh
Unregistered guest
To t and t: I have had to experiment with some different placements to get the sound I want from the Super 8. I have it placed where it sounds best to me, and you will probably need to do the same thing. I have mine under a table that has a cloth covering draped over it and it still sounds great, plus it made my wife happy that it is out of sight. I use a Yamaha RX-V800 and the speakers sound great. I did not do any comparisons because that is what I had and my understanding is that unless you are willing to make a major upgrade, you don't get much bang for your buck. I am interested in Hershon's post that he got a Denon 3801 for $450. Denon makes great equipment and I am going to check that out.

Hershon, was that a new receiver? Did you get it on ebay? If not where did you find such a good price?

To Vincent: I love my Orb system (Mod2's all around and the Super 8), but you have to be realistic. It will not sound as good as a large speaker system that costs $5,000. In my opinion and listening, it is the best sat/sub system on the market and that is what I was looking for because I was tired of big speakers in my den. If space and money aren't an issue, then you should definitely listen to many other speaker systems. No one can tell you what you will like, but we can tell you what influenced us to buy our systems.

Mark,
Herson did mention that he got Denon3801 from ebay. Weeks ago I did a search on ebay but couldn't find any. I just did a search a minute ago and saw just one opened item. That's why I went and order the JVC, since Herson also suggested that it will sounds better with Orbs than any other $1000++ receiver.

The question now is, has anyone tested any other receiver with the Orbs which will sounds as good as Denon 3801?

barry

Username: Rockfeller

To Mark,

Thanks for sharing your experience of JVC and Denon.
Regarding placement of super eight, I am still surprised how Bose did this,

I had Lifestyle 35, and Acoustimass module location was not an issue.

Is it fair enough to say that orbaudio has not recreated this innovation yet ?.

Meanwhile do you have a suggestion on When other
Denon receiver fix the place of 3801, as it looks like ebay has one item and already several bids.

To Barry,
Herson did say JVC sounded better with Orb, I still think I should not go with JVC.

t&t,
I don't have issue with the Super8 subwoofer. Maybe it's because of the shape of my living room, wherever I put it, it doesn't sound much different at all.

Well if you're going to compare Bose with Orbs than you will be surprised how much better Orbs will sound. At first I wasn't convinced that Orbs will sounds as good as Bose, so I bought Lifestyle48 for $3999 and set it up in my living room for 2 days, then my Orbs arrived, then I sent back the Bose!

The reason I went for JVC is because I am not aware of any other receiver that will sounds better with Orbs except the Denon 3801, which proves extremely elusive since it's been discontinued. And don't forget the price issue. I cannot spend $1000+ on a receiver to pair up with my Orbs. If I wanna buy a receiver in that price range, it will have to be pair up with bigger speakers.

Rgds
barry
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us