Archive through July 21, 2004

Username: Sthump

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 2
Anyone who bought a 50v500 for sub $2700 want to post their receipt for a 50V500 online. I'd love to be able to get CC to price match it. Or you can e-mail me at elmerlee@epic-technology.com

Elmer

Username: Sthump

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 3
oops..wrong e-mail.

it's elmerlee@epic-technologies.com

bbthedead
Unregistered guest
can anyone tell me with any confidence if the 50VX500 has less black backround problems then the 50V500?

Username: Diamonddac

Cartersville, GA USA

Can you receive an analog signal through DVI cables??? or will I have to hook up my component cables to receive the non-HD channels???

Bronze Member
Username: Bryan_b

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 30
I get all my channels (Direct TV) through the DVI connection.

Username: Jedimaster

Los Angeles

Post Number: 1
I purchased the 50V500 from CC 3 weeks ago. I was lucky ... again, I got a floor sample for $ 2700 out the door, including the stand. Yes, they deal, they wanted $ 2800 for the TV alone. I am an x sales person for The Good Guys. There is nothing that I don't like about this TV, except the fact that the analog transmissions suck so bad, I can't even watch them compared o the HD ones, or even DVD quality. I use Comcast box through component cables, and the Philips DVP 642 same, through the second component input. DVD's look awesome, HD transmissions, again, top of the line, but analog kills me. Is there a problem with this unit ? I chose it over a Sony Grand Wega because it looked way better at the store. Is the analog THAT BAD on an HDTV ?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 133
EA:
This thread, now over 8 months old, is full of complaints (including some of my own) about standard definition TV quality on this set.

Please read HDTV boot camp. Note especially the paragraph on "Regular TV and DVD on an HDTV."

Unregistered guest
Just bought the 50". Can't wait until my home theatre room is done being built so I can plug this baby in and fire it up. I want to get a new DVD player for this baby because I dont have progressive scan yet. Should I go with a good progressive scan with SACD and DVD audio or should is it worth it to pony up the near 300 bones for a HD DVD player?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 136
Jcroft:
What HD DVD player would you be referring to?

Jcroft
Unregistered guest
The samsung. I understand that Toshiba recently came out with one. I am actually more inclined to purchase the pioneer universal dvd player with the SACD and DVD audio capabilaties.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 138
Jcroft:
HD DVD players and HD discs to play on them are not on the market yet. I think you are referring to players with DVI outputs. The Digital Video Interface carries digital video signals, thus bypassing the digital to analog conversion that a DVD player does. Likewise, the vidio signal doesn't get converted back to digital from analog (as in the case with component wires) in a TV like the Hitachi. So, theoretically a petter picture should result.

But players like the Samsung you mentioned are definitely not HD, as they are limited by the maximun resolution capabilities of regular DVDs--regardless of the particular cable used to send the signal to the TV.

HD players and discs will be a reality soon. This is why I am hesitant to spend big 'bones' on a standard player right now. You can buy decent progressive scan players dirt cheap, and whether you should get SACD and DVD-A capabilities is up to you. I would, because music is important to me, and both formats represent a significant improvement over CD sound.

Rest assured a progressive scan DVD/component picture on this Hitachi will be more than satisfactory, even though it ain't HD.

Martin
Unregistered guest
I have had my 50v500 for about 2 months now, got it from Sears for 2499, love it.

Anyway

Has anyone got/seen any problems with a whitish blotch, on the screen. I have two of these on my screen, they almost look like fingerprints. Tried resetting the screen no help.

Thanks

Murray
Unregistered guest
I bought the hitachi 60v500a. Got a smokin deal at Video Only. They have an everyday low price of $3,399.99 and will give you the stand for free at that price. They only want $200 for a 5 year warranty. 24 month 0% financing and i talked them way down from there everyday low price. Just hooked it up 2 nights ago love it last night i had the disney movie finding nemo and i noticed the fish have a little glow coming off of them its like a glowing circle around them does anyone know whats going on.

Murray
Unregistered guest
is the factory settings on the 60v500 the best, if not can someone write back on what the best picture tv settings would be (contrast, sharpness, color, ex.....)Thanks

Murray
Unregistered guest
anyone know the best cable or dish to connect for hd, cheap with all the movie channels

James B
Unregistered guest
I have the 50v500a and so far it has been great. The biggest problem was what dvd do I connect to it for best results. The TV is great, and I have had a couple small problems with the set but nothing too bad.

I first tried the samsung dvd player with the dvi, and even using the dvi cable I was not overly impressed. I got the ghosting around the fish in Nemo (like the post above) and the picture was overall not all that great. Not too impressed.

I took it back and upgraded to the Denon 2200 Universal Player and was blown away with the resulting picture and sound!!!

I finally understand what critics say when they speak of "film like" the picture is smooth, clean and beautiful. The addition of SACD and DVD A is a bonus, and have begun my collection of multi channel music... I absolutly love this. I also no longer have the ghosting around the fish in Nemo, and all other movies are much more enjoyable.

So to answer the Nemo post above, the ghosting is from the dvd player, not the tv. This experience has really shown me that not all DVD players are even remotely the same. The DVD engine in the Denon 2200 is far superior to anything else I have seen, especially on something as sensitive to inputs quality as the Hitachi LCDs.

James

Username: Ascoondog

Gray, Georgia USA

Post Number: 6
Murray,
I have Voom and it is unbelievable. I suggest that you give them a try, there is no up front cost or contract so if you do not like it you can cancel at anytime.
Ashley

Rich K
Unregistered guest
I just upgraded to a Dish 811 HD box. I've set the box at 1080i and 16:9 format. The HD channels look great and are mostly in the 16:9. Why are all the other non HD channels coming up in a 4:3 format with black bars? Is this the nature of the beast or do I have some settings messed up. All channels were in the 16:9 format with the non-HD box. Why couldn't I be like my parents and be happy with a 20 year old 25 inch Zenith with rabbit ears? :-)

Murray
Unregistered guest
Ashley and James thanks for the input, i think im going to have to upgrade my dvd player, and voom looks like they have twice as many hd channels than dish thanks again Murray

Murray
Unregistered guest
James B is the dvd picture with the denom 2200 a better picture than hd programing. Does the denom have a dvi hook up on a dvd player, or do they make such a thing or is the hookup just for hd programing.

Murray
Unregistered guest
Im looking for a dvd player for my 60v500 the guy i purchased it from suggested the jvc xvn 4125 or the jvc 410b there like $70 James B said the samsung sucked and the denon 2200 was awsome but looking on the internet there about $500 is it worth it to pay the extra for the denon or is the jvc going to be a quality picture for a lot less money or is there any other dvd player someone would suggest

Username: Ascoondog

Gray, Georgia USA

Post Number: 7
Murray,
There is no comparison between dvd and hdtv on this television. Voom currently offers the option for up to 37 channels where the competition only has about 9. They also have great movie channels and will give you the dvi and off air antenna for local channels free.

James B
Unregistered guest
In my humble opinion, the Denon 2200 is well worth the price, (as is the price for the 50v500).

The picture is only 480P, so I would say that it is as good as 480P HD, but not as good as 1080i or 720P, HD is still the leader for picture quality.

DVD is still my choice for the movie experience as I have many movies to choose from and when I sit down and dim the lights, I want the best experience I can get, and I want to choose what movie I am watching, so until HD DVD or Blu Ray DVD are ready, a good solid DVD player is still vital.

I live in Vancouver Canada and the Denon 2200 DVD player retails at $1000, but when I am connecting to a $5000 TV and a $2200 surround amp, I do not want the DVD player to be the weakest link. (not to mention speakers and everthing else in the system)

Unfortunatley, the Denon dvd 2200 is component only, no dvi. The Denon 5900 is dvi, but it is priced at $5000, which is too rich for my blood. But as this TV has only a single DVI, the component connection is fine for me. I use DVI for the HD Receiver.

For Murray, my only suggestion is to take a DVD player home, try it and return it if you are not happy. I think the Denon is worth the extra $$, but that is my opinion. A couple of my buddies came over and saw and heard the performance of the Denon and they went out and got one for themselves, it is that impressive.

In addition, it has the SACD and DVD Audio, which are amazing. Also, if I want a mix of music for casual listening around the house, I burn an MP3 CD and listen to hundreds of songs on the player, on a single disk, no need for a juke box or multi disk player.

The Audio quality on a standard music cd is far superior to a standard cd player as well. I can hear details in my music that I cannot hear with my standard cd multidisk player.

Sorry if I sound like a Denon commercial, but I am that excited about this player. The one thing I immediately realized when I brought home the 50v55a is that the picture quality is totally dependant on the source material.

Hope this helps you out.

James

Unregistered guest
I've been reading through some of the posts here and may have some answers to some, and also a question for others. I've owned my 50V500 for about 2 months now. I have had no major issues, except that I also have one of those spots, if you want to call them that, in the upper left part of the screen. When the TV is on with no signal you can see it. IT is like a light spot that is visible during dark screens, not bad, but enough to be annoying. I've seen several posts about it here, and am curious if anyone has a solution for it. I plan on calling the tech in tomorrow, as I have the extended warranty, but is this something that happens normally and that you just have to get maintenanced every once in awhile? or will it go away on it's own.

For the flickering black issues. Depending on what you like, the flickering black seems to happen when you turn on any level of black enhancement. If you turn black enhancement off, you will get no flicker, or at least none that I can detect. I noticed that flicker on dark scenes on DVD's when I first got the set.

If anyone can help with the spots, please let me know. Thanks!

Dave C

Username: 78vette2

Augusta, Ks. US

Post Number: 8
Murray, I would like to recommend the Pioneer DV-563A DVD player. It only retails for only about $150, and when connected with the digital audio connecter, my surround went from what I thought was good, to absolutely great! I spent about $300 on Monster cables to connect my complete system, and would recommend to anyone. The results really are great. Back to the Pioneer player, it is obviously not HD, but I would rate it close. And for listening to CD's it's better than the 3 grand system I bought when in the service 20 years ago. It's very modestly priced, and I believe an excellent player.

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 31
John S,

Well Sears finally replaced my TV with a 50V500..thats correct no "A". Nice. I do not see much PQ difference but hope not to develope any problems.

Has anyone used the DVI cable from BetterCables.com? They are cheaper then Monster but have only read a few reviews on them. Thanks

Unregistered guest
Bryan:

When I got my HD box from Comcast, they gave me a DVI cable that didn't work. It would only work in 480P mode, but not 1080i, so temporarily, I had to run HD over component cable. When I called Hitachi, they asked if it was a single link or dual link cable. The one from Comcast (I don't know what brand) was dual link. Hitachi also said that the TV is designed for single link cables. Sure enough, the moster cable is a single link. I picked up the Monster DVI cable and it works really good. Picture quality is excellent. Just make sure you get a single link cable.

On my "crop circle" problem, looks like a tech is coming on Friday. He told me on the phone that the light engine either needs cleaned, or replaced. I asked if he was seeing this a lot and he unfortunately said yes, that it has been a common problem with the LCD televisions. I'm hoping this is an exaggeration, as I would hate to have to address this issue over and over again. If anyone else has input there, I'm all ears!

Dave C

Murray
Unregistered guest
James B I purchased the Denon 910 i did not really want to spend the money for the 2200 but i hooked it up last night and it looks alot better than my old one but i still got the ghosting in nemo and im not satisfied, in the opperating instuctions for the denon it says there is a switch in the back to turn on the progressive scan so i turned it on, and it also says you have to turn youre tv to progresive scan and no where in the manual can i figure out how to do that can someone tell me how to set my tv(60v500) to read the progressive scan and i am still getting ghosting in finding nemo is it becouse i still have not uppgraded enough on my dvd i thouth this was going to solve my problem

James B
Unregistered guest
Hi Murray,

The Denon DVD910 is a fine lower end Denon and it uses the commom Farouja DVD Chip set. (many DVD players use this chip set, inlcuding the samsung that I returned) but the DVD 2200 uses the Silicon Image sil504 Chipset that is much more expensive and far supperior to the Farouja.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/dvd22003.pdf

Silicon Image

http://www.siimage.com/products/overview_sii504.asp

Both the 910 and the 2200 have the interlace p/scan switch, so that is not different.

My understanding of the 50v500 and 60v500 is that the tv will take any image and improve it to the best of its ability, so I do not think there is a p/scan setting, however there is an auto 3/2 pull down setting in the user menu that you should turn on.(mine is on)

One of the friends who bought the Denon 2200 when he saw mine had the 910 that you have, and he also feels the 2200 is a better machine.Visually and also with the audio quality on 2 ch sound, as he does not have the sacd capable receiver.

I have found that the ghosting on nemo to be very annoying, and the Hitachi is a very sensitive TV to input quality. My 2200 has mostly no ghosting now, only very minimal in a couple parts and non at the begining of the movie.

Hope this info helps you out.

James B

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 142
bryan:
Good to see you're back in business. May you be fan noise-free, crop circle-free and dead pixel-free. :-)

Murray:
The TV will automatically recognize a progressive scan signal coming in via a component input. To confirm this, you just push the INFO button on the remote and see "480p" in the on-screen info box while playing a movie.

James B:
The Denon 2200 is on my list of upgrades. Got to pay the TV off first, though.

Username: Coold373

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 8
John S:

Crop circle free would be nice! The tech told me on the phone some things I really didn't want to hear. I guess they have seen a lot of crop circle complaints on the LCD sets, not just Hitachi. It's good piece of mind knowing that with the extended warranty I have through Circuit City, that anything that goes wrong won't cost me anything, however, I still do have concerns on how often I will have to have this set serviced. Other than that, when everything is in good order, it's a gorgeous set. I'm hoping they work these issues out soon.

James B
Unregistered guest
Hi John S,

I think you will enjoy the Denon, I certainly do.

James B

James B
Unregistered guest
For connecting a computer to the 50v500, for Lance above.

I have a pc, that I have connected to my Hitachi via s-video cable, directly from my ATI video card. I tried the DVI cable, but could not get it to work. One note, is I must have the input selector on Video 4, (my pc connection) for the PC to recognize the TV on boot up.

I know that you can get a display app called powerstrip that will help you set the display drivers to the tvs resolutiuon for a better picture, but I have never needed it.

I typically have the pic in pic, (or pic beside pic) set so that I can watch tc in one 1/2 of the screen, and surf the web or pc work in the other 1/2 screen. This way I have a 27" tv, and a 27" pc picture to work with.

Since I have this connected to my main PC in my den, I also have file sharing set up to allow me to get to my other PCs files, if I need too. My excuse to my wife is that this is my "backup PC" in case my main unit breaks down.

The res is at 800 x 600, which is fine, 1024 x 768 is to small to see clearly at 9' away.

I have a lot of fun with this, as my friends will come over and see me with the PC and TV on at the same time.I can show video, play MP3s as it is also connected to my surround receiver.

I also got the gyration wireless mouse and keyboard, which is very cool, and allows me to mouse in the air while sitting on the sofa.

If you have a spare PC around the house, dont toss it out. It can work fine as a secondary PC to surf web etc, when connected to the Hitachi.

Also, as this TV is LCD, there are fewer worries of monitor burn in like a CRT or Plasma.

James B

Murray
Unregistered guest
James B you have been more help to me than hitachi and the place i bought the tv from i think i am going to take the denon 910 back for the 2200 is sounds like its worth the extra money now with the 3;2 pulldown im asuming you are talking about the auto movie mode wich is grayed out and wont let me turn it on how do i get it on I dont have cable or sattalite i just watch dvd movies right now untill my finances get cought up thats why i want a good dvd player

junior
Unregistered guest
I just bought my 50v500 for $1489 plus $199 for the stand at PC Richards. I was very disappointed with the picture when I hooked it up. After talking to someone I bought the DVI monster cables and have a cable guy coming tomorrow to hook up a HD cable box. Will I notice a difference on channels that are not broadcasted in HD? And are the monster cables worth the money?Thanks for any info and or comments.

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 10
junior:

The monster cables are worth the money in my opinion. You will definitely notice a difference on HD programming over a good DVI cable, as compared to Component Video. I wouldn't expect too much improvement on non HD channels. The resolution on LCD sets is a lot higher than on a tube, so the flaws in your regular cable are more noticable. One thing you can try doing, once you have everything hooked up, is to watch your regular cable channels over the Antenna input rather than on your Video 1 input. You might get slightly better picture with normal channels doing that. With me, I really don't care about regular cable channels. I'm satisfied with the quality they are at (they were crappy to begin with on any TV). The HD channels and 480P DVD quality is what I really care about, and on this set, those are very good.

junior
Unregistered guest
Correction on price, I paid $2489 not $1489, thanks for the info Dave C

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 32
Has anyone gone from a "regular" DVI cable to a monster DVI cable? Was it a big difference? I do not wnat to waste the money if it is not going to improve the PQ.

Murray
Unregistered guest
James B im going down to get the denon 2200 on sunday i have aucustic performance cables i was told there just as good as moster cables but half the price the guy i bought my tv from said your paying the extra money for the name but i wounder if there would be a diffrence in picture quality if i did get the monster cables i might have saved some money but i would rather pay the extra if there a big diffrence but if there is not a big diffrence i will be glad i got the ones i did

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 12
I always get Monsters just to be on the safe side. I figure after shelling out a few grand for a TV, and another grand or so for a sound system, what's a few hundred dollars in cables.

James B
Unregistered guest
HI Murray,

I run Monster, but I always try to get a deal as there is 100% mark up on them. You only need the 3 component video cables, and what ever you want for the audio, I have the optical... depends on your receiver.

I also have the 6 analog audio cables for SACD / DVD-A and the pair of Audio for normal 2 ch cd, it can get pretty busy with all the cables, drives my wife nuts!

If you already have the cables, you can try them and see if you like or not, if not then spend the $$ on monster.

Yes the 3/2 pulldown is movie mode. You should be able to set it up once you have the DVD connected via component cables.

John is correct, the input you have the DVD on will show up as 480P automatically, assuming you have the DVD set to progressive.

Let me know how you enjoy the Denon 2200. Hopefully you will enjoy as much as I do, but then picture quality is very subjective.

James

Marc F.
Unregistered guest
Does a HDTV give better picture when watching dvds?

Eric M.
Unregistered guest
Does a HDTV give better picture when watching dvds or when just watching tv?

James B
Unregistered guest
HDTV gives a better picture when watching HDTV programs.

DVD is not HDTV, however a better quality television will give a better quality picture with almost all source material.

James B

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 143
Marc F. and Eric M.:
Please see my post this thread on June 12.

NyChamp
Unregistered guest
Is the hitachi 50v500 hd ready or hd capable?And whats the difference?Thankyou

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 144
NyChamp:
From CNET's HDTV boot camp: "Not all HDTVs actually come with a built-in tuner that can receive high-definition programs. Those that do are called integrated HDTVs, and those that don't are sometimes called HDTV ready or HDTV compatible; mostly they're all lumped together under the name HDTV. If you buy an HDTV-ready set [like the Hitachi 50V500], you'll also need a separate tuner--for satellite, cable, or over-the-air reception--to watch high-definition programming."

Murray
Unregistered guest
James I have component cables hooked up red green blue there not monster cables there aucustic and my movie mode is grayed out wont let me turn it on.

Derek
Unregistered guest
I'm planning on buying a widescreen LCD HDTV, I've heard the Hitachi 50v500 is good, but havent seen any reviews on it. Can someone please show me a link with reviews about it?

Mr. Bundy
Unregistered guest
What picture looks better, a hdtv movie or a dvd movie with component cables?

Username: 78vette2

Augusta, Ks. US

Post Number: 10
Mr. Bundy, the hdtv will be a better picture. A dvd with components will be good, depending on the player, but will not be HD. I would also recommend the digital audio cable for superior surround, and the dvi for the best picture available. Monster cable offers some of the best on the market, however pretty expensive, but when you consider your total system cost, not that much more. Good luck....Mark

Billy O
Unregistered guest
I just had a tech come over and hook up HD box. Some channels say HD broadcast but there are bars on the sides, and the other hd channels use the full screen. Are the channels with the bars really HD?Thank you for any info.....

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 145
Billy O:
High Definition programs are always in 16:9 aspect ratio, so there should not be side bars in the picture on a true HD program.

Unfortunately, not all "HD" channels have true HD programming 100% of the time. It is presently incredibly expensive to produce original High Def programs. ESPNHD is a very good example. To cover a sporting event with multible HD cameras and the essential associated equipment for events around the country is beyond the resources of most networks. So they, along with CBS, NBC, ABC and others find it necessary to use Standard Def programming on their "HD" frequencies for part of the time. Hence, the side bars.

Jcroft
Unregistered guest
I just bought a toshiba progressive SACD/DVD AUDIO - DVD player. Looks great. However, the TV still says 480P instead of saying 720P. I thought it was supposed to upconvert the signal? Is the number supposed to show, or is it actually upconverting anyways?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 146
Jcroft:
This TV displays the scan rate of what it sees at the input, so you will see only 480P from the DVD player. The TV then automatically upconverts to 1080P on all signals coming in. Please see my post about this on May 1, this thread.

BTW, you have't had time yet, but I would love to hear your impressions of SACD vs. DVD-A sometime.

Jcroft
Unregistered guest
I will post when I find this out myself hehe! I had the worst experience with DVD players this weekend. I had about 160 bux in gift cards for best buy, so went and got my new dvd player for the new tv. I first tried the $150 Pioneer with both SACD and DVD-A. I wasn't impressed with the picture, it seemed a little fuzzy compared to my non-progressive scan DVD player! I took it back and tried the Samsung HD841. After about 30 minutes, the damn thing started overheating and got very warm. I would hit the eject button and nothing would happen! The dialog screen would read open, but the tray wouldn't open! I took this one back too, and got the Toshiba 5 carousel SACD/DVD-A player. I watched Bad Santa and it looked great. Then I hit eject, and the damn thing wouldn't open. I had to unplug everything and plug it in somewhere else because the damn thing overheated. Now it opens but it doesn't close or play. You have to manually push the tray shut, and now it does nothing! What a horrible experience. I hooked up my old non-progressive Toshiba and called it a night. Any suggestions? I am thinking of trying a sony for now. The Denon is way out of my price range being that I am building a home theatre room in my basement, and I just spend a hefty amount on the TV. Any suggestions, am I doing something wrong with these DVD players? It seems like they are built like crap unless you spend 500 bones.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 18
Jcroft:

The Harmon Kardon DVD22 is an excellent progressive scan player, with lots of extra features. You'll pay $199 for it. I couldn't tell the difference between the picture quality from this player in 480P, compared to the new Samsung that upconverts. The Harmon Kardon has a patented technology where is reads and displays the picture in a pixel by pixel format, which results in much more vibrant colors and clarity. I bought one a few months ago and am very happy with it. I'm using it in combination with a Hitachi 50V500.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 147
No doubt the HK player is a very good one, but it doesn't play SACD or DVD-A discs. That was Jcroft's goal--a low cost machine that does it all. And it seems he's running out of options.

Could the over-heating problem be caused by an inadequate power supply? Or did you happen to get two factory defects in a row?

James B
Unregistered guest
You may want to look at the Denon DVD910, it is much more economical than the 2200, but still pretty good.

Murray
Unregistered guest
James B its Murray got the denon 2200 im very impressed with the picture but im still getting ghosting in some parts of nemo are you also having this problem still with the denon 2200 im starting to think theres nothing i can do about it maybe its just becouse its a projection tv im almost thinking about haveing a tech come look at it warranty should cover his trip over i would think but let me now if you are still getting ghosting in nemo with your tv with the denon 2200 that denon 2200 is one damn nice dvd player. Is there anyone else out there getting ghosting in some parts of finding nemo and if so any tips on how to get rid of it i now it aint my dvd player i just upgraded to the denon 2200

Murray
Unregistered guest
I bought my 60v500 at video only for $2,800 plus tax theres one in lynwood and one in southcenter i dont know if they are a chain of stores or not but i looked all over for the best price and video only had it and was able to work out a great deal at $2,800 , i got the 60v500, the stand, a 5 year warranty, 2 component audio cables 1 component video cable, and a surge protector, everything out the door for $3,600 including tax

James B
Unregistered guest
Hi Murray,

I have only minimal ghosting in Nemo, there is only a slight bit, and only when I look for it. (I looked more closely at mine since your orignal post) but it was AWFULL/HORRID/BAD with the Samsung DVD Player.

I do not know if others have it, but I have seen it on the Sony LCD @ a Sony Store.

Other than the ghosting, how do you like the 2200?? I love mine. It has the smoothest picture I have seen from a DVD Player, and it also has great color calibration. Wait till you try the DVD Audio, and SACD, amazing performance!!

Speaking of calibration, have you tried the DVE (digtal video essentials) Calibration disk? You need to now that you have your new DVD Player.

Also, I checked my settings, and I have black enhancement off, and auto movie mode on. This may help yours too.

My theater room is apart right now, I am drywalling and painting, so no big TV for me. Otherwise I could pass on my settings for color etc. But the TV is under the covers in another part of my house.

You can always email me direct at diverdown392000@yahoo.ca if you like.

James

Jcroft
Unregistered guest
I will take a look at the HK and the Denon. Plugged both the Samsung HD841 and Toshiba SACD/DVD A DVD players into a power strip, and also tried using the power supply from my Onkyo receiver. Not sure what the problem was, but the rest of the DVD players at Best Buy were very cheap in price and quality. I would rather spend 60 bux on DVDs that I can keep forever than a DVD player that doesn't do my tv justice. My brother doesn't even get into home theatre equip and even he noticed that my older toshiba (which was about 150 bux in 2000) looked much sharper than the progressive scan pioneer with SACD and DVD - A. I may look at just getting a real good quality progressive scan in the 200 dollar range. Any suggestions besides the ones already mentioned? BTW, thanks for all the help thus far.

Darth Brian
Unregistered guest
This thread is really great. Thanks especially to John S for all the great info. Does it bother anyone that the 50V500 is not Digital-ready? I would like the option to receive OTA HD channels without having to dish out extra $$ for a set top box. Or maybe i should not care? ideas?

Also, Blu-ray has been spotted in recent electronics conferences and looks awesome. And reportedly the studios are ready to gear up for production over the next year (end 2005 pending finality on the format - see http://www.hddvd.org/hddvd/). Should i wait, or spend cash on a DVD player now? I cant stand expensive obsolete electronics. I dont suffer from early-adopter syndrome, but true HD video is incredible.

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 33
Darth,
If you go with Direct TV and get their Hughes HD Box, you can directly connect your OTA Ant to it. Picture looks great and their is no switching between SAT and OTA...they both go through the DVI connection. They offer a "new customer" special on the HD package. I complained enough about the price difference and they gave it to me at the new customer price...saved about 100 bux.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 148
Darth:
Thanks much for a fantastic link.

Well it's deja vu all over again, with a two format war brewing for the coming HD disc delivery system. As usual, it's Sony gumming up the works with a totally different and proprietary system, rather than a more logical upgrade of the existing DVD format. They're doing the same thing with their SACD (vs. DVD-A) in the high-resolution audio market.

Particularly interesting however, is a third alternative: The red laser DMD format makes a lot of sense, too much sense in fact, for it to have a chance at this stage--considering how much time and money the other two camps have invested in their formats.

In any case, as I've said before, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend big bux on a standard definition DVD player at this point. (I define big bux as $200 or more.)

Murray
Unregistered guest
James B love the new dvd player the picture looks awsome im going to research about that calibration disc you were talking about it would probably help the picture quality i noticed the sound was much better also that is a real nice dvd player im glad i took back the 910 the wife was not to happy about spending the extra money but she will get over it but she also admitted the picture was alot better still getting some ghosting in nemo wich maybe the calibration disc might help, about the aoto movie mode its grayed out on my tv and i called hitachi and they said with using progressive scan with component hook up you can not use auto movie mode unless you have your dvd player hooked up with the red white and yellow standered hookup

James B
Unregistered guest
HI Murray,

Glad to hear that you are pleased, my wife likes it too, but she was not to fond of the $$, oh well, as you say she has gotten over it.

I did not know that auto movie was not enabled via component video, I will have to check.

Let me know if I can offer any other advice, or conversation.

James

James B
Unregistered guest
HI Murray,

Glad to hear that you are pleased, my wife likes it too, but she was not to fond of the $$, oh well, as you say she has gotten over it.

I did not know that auto movie was not enabled via component video, I will have to check.

Let me know if I can offer any other advice, or conversation.

James

Murray
Unregistered guest
James the denon 2200 is well worth the extra cash the dve will probably make a diffrence with picture quality i have everything at the factory settings does the dve help alot what kind of dve do you recomend i would think 720p not 1080i isnt the p stand for progresive and the i stand for intagraded and if you do recomend 720p what brand

Murray
Unregistered guest
Theres dve for dvd and hd the hd is more expensive so probobly better is the hd dve what i want for just the dvd player i dont have cable or sattalite or anything since im not accually wathching hd on a dvd player do i need the upgrade on the dve the cost doesnt concern me its under a $100 for each one i just want to get the right one wich for what im using it for the dvd

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 149
Darth:
About your question. The main reason (imo) the Hitachi is HD ready (no HD tuner) instead of HD integrated (with HD tuner) is cost, and an assumption about the potential buyer. Their reasoning is that the vast majority of buyers will use an external HD box from either the cable company, or the satellite company. So why add 3-5 hundred to the cost, when most people won't be using the built-in HD receiver anyway. I've been told sales of external HD tuners is slow, so maybe they're right.

JAF
Unregistered guest
My picture has all of a sudden turned red on my 811 HD receiver and DVD modes. Has anyone had this problem? In PIP mode the top and the bottom also look red. Earlier they were black. I haven't adjusted anything, but now I'm just trying to figure out what is going on. Thanks.

Darth Brian
Unregistered guest
John S: that was a great article. Interesting to see how Sony, Panasonic and the other beasts will force DMD technology into submission. I think you are correct - the big electroncis have spent far too much money to bow to a small player at this stage, in spite of a more cost effective, backward-compatible product.

Bryan: thanks for the note! I will go take a look at that Hughes HD box. Considering VOOM based on level of HD channels. Have there already been posts on the quality of this service? I've heard that its mostly repetitive programming. I currently use Comcast Cable. Not bad, but I havent tested the HD service yet.

I am planning on investing in a new HDTV now (doing research now!), probably the 50V500 based on all the great reviews. Anyone think I should reconsider? Any TV out there that people like better? How about the Samsung DLPs and Philips LCOS?

ps. Darth is my Sith name. Just call me Brian :-)

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 34
Brian
I have the 50v500...love it. There are posts on Voom on the net...do not remember where but if I recall correctly they were mixed. For 11 bux I get 4 HD from Direct TV and then with my OTA I get 3 more. CBS is almost all HD. Fox is suppose to start HD this fall.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 150
Brian:
I don't have time to hang out in my local big-box retailers (BB, CC, hhgregg), but did stop by gregg yesterday. Two things:

1) Every time I see the 60V500 Hit, I kick myself for not getting the 60...it's only money! The "rule of thumb" on screen size is minimum viewing distance=2X diagonal screen measurement. At my 11 foot viewing distance, the 60 wouldn't have been too big.

2) They had the Philips single chip LCoS sitting between the Hit 60 and the Sony LCD 60. I expected to see as sharp a picture and better black levels on the LCoS, but saw neither. Very unimpressive. The Sony was maybe a half-notch better than the Hitachi, and I didn't see anything wrong with the RCA Scenium DLP either. Of course, evaluating PQ on various TVs in a big retailer is dangerous business indeed. Its taken me 6 months to arrive at the optimum picture adjustment settings on my Hit 50 (using both the Avia and S&V setup discs, and my eyes)--how can anybody assume all TVs in a store are showing their best?

James B
Unregistered guest
Murray,

The DVD calibration disk is called DVE or Digital Video Essentials, most DVD stores have it in the special interest section.

Or you can go online and buy it here.

http://www.videoessentials.com/

It takes a couple times to get the calibration to the way you like it, but watch the DVD then start the process.

One thing I like about the Hitachi is that all 5 inputs can be calibrated independantly for the source, .

So for example, I have the HDTV Sat on DVI input Vid 1, and the Denon on Vid 2 (component) and my sons Nintendo Game Cube on Vide 4. I can then adjust the picture quality to best match the source material.

To my knowlegde, the Sony LCD cannot do this, and is one of the reasons I chose the Hitachi.

Brian,

I looked at the Samsung DLP, and I could not watch it. I found that I am one of those people who is very sensitive to flicker, and the DLP technology uses a pinwheel that displays the picture across the screen. The DLP does have better blacks than LCD (any LCD not just hitachi or sony) but more black is no good for me as the flicker was impossible for me to watch.

If you look for it, try some DLP in a darkend showroom (to simulate your home theater) and see if you can also see it, or any rainbows of color. If you can I would suggest the LCD technology. Do not try this in a bright showroom, as it will be more difficult to see.

I have not seen LCoS but I hear it is very expensive.

I am strongly considering getting my 50v500 professionally calibrated, has anyone here done this??? and what is the result. It is a $400 purchase, so I would like some feedback before I spend the cash.

James B

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 151
JAF:
We're not ignoring you. It surely seems you need a service call on your TV. Best of luck. :-)

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 35
John S and anyone else:

Has anyone gone to a "universal remote" with this TV to control it and their other gear?
I have a Sony Receiver and DVD plus the sat box and want something that will actually work with everything. I hate having 3 remotes. The TV one wont let me bring up the sat guide.

thanks

Murray
Unregistered guest
Bryan have you tried setting the av codes, with the ir cables you are soposed to be able to run everything with the tv remote by putting the ir cables (i think thats what there called) in front of the sensor of your dvd or satalite or reciever but you have to set the av by the code in the manual for each setting.

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 36
I can not do it for the DVD player...open box purchase with out remote and the codes on give me search not chapter jump. Still trying to program a button to act as a "guide" button for the sat.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 153
bryan:
Having 6 remotes on the table is not so bothersome, at least for me. But I understand your frustration. You need a universal that has pre-programmed codes for most stuff, but also a "learning capable" device for programming special functions like the sat guide. Check out model number 15-2116 on the Radio Shack site. Their stores should stock this, so maybe see it in person first. Good luck.

Jcroft
Unregistered guest
Well, so far I am winning an auction on Ebay for a Denon 900 Progressive DVD player. Until I find out if I won or not, I decided to bite the bullet and get the monster cable package for my XBOX and use that as my DVD player for now. My god, for a non progressive DVD player, it looks great, not to mention playing a game like espn baseball 2004 on 720P. Picture is awesome! I don't regret spending the money for the monster component and fibre optic cables for the xbox, the hitachi does a great job with video game counsels.

Los Angeles

I just bought a cheap DVI-D cable and used it from the Comcast digital cable box to the DVI input of the Hitachi. I was using component cables up until now. The quality is way better, including the regular TV broadcasts.I tried two pairs of component cables, just to make sure that one was not defective. Is there a big diference between Monster Cable and a no-name cable ?

Second question, is anyone watching Divx / Xvid movies ? I have a Philips DVP 642 dvd/divx player with progressive component. When I play DVD's, the picture is awesome. When I watch divx movies, I get vertical lines all over the screen (does not happen on a non HDTV, the movies are just fine). Does anyone know about this ?

MSerfozo
Unregistered guest
Good site! I think I've spent as much time reading all the posts here as I have watching my new 50V500!

One question though, that I haven't seen covered. Can I change the gray bars to black PERMANENTLY? I know some here have bought the service manual CD and I followed instructions in an earlier post to find the service menu (pretty scary w/o instructions). Anyway, is the gray bar default setting in there somewhere? Is there other good stuff hidden in the service menu? Is the CD worth having (I'm technically capable)? Should I shut up and leave you guys alone and get my own CD?

stevieboy
Unregistered guest
JOHN S, yes, I realized (actually, my WIFE realized!) that the 50" was going to be too small for our 11 foot viewing distance. We had already ordered the 50" by then, but the retailer said to just take delivery on it, "test" it out, and just exchange if unsatisfied (with price difference); long story short - that's what we did - and, it WAS the right move!! TO EVERYONE OUT THERE - THE 60" IS THE RIGHT TV FROM 11 FEET !!

Also, the question on the universal remote - I've been searching for one for awhile now - someone here (earlier) had mentioned a Harmony SST659...which is about $100-120 ...you mentioned about the Radio Shack remote at about $31.00...what would be the difference at what each can do? I mean, my wife wants to: 1. Turn the TV on... 2. Change the channel of the cable-box...AND, DO ALL THIS WITHOUT "KNOWING" THAT YOU NEED TO CONTROL 2 SEPARATE COMPONENTS !!

I still enjoy reading this thread...great to still see the great ideas being exchanged...the 5-month viewing period for the Hitachi 60V500 has been surreal! If our cable company has turned on their DVI output (I'll check later), then we'll be even more pleased!

Later...

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 37
EA

I just added a monster DVI cable to my set up...from the original DVI that came with my SAT box. It made a difference. Now i have to reset my picture with the set up disk. Paid $100 for the cable from Circuit city.

John S, I will take a look at the remote. I just want to get the SAT Guide on the same remote as everything else. Thanks for the info.

Jcroft
Unregistered guest
I have had the 50 inch for not quite a month. Just this past night, I noticed a little red dot near the upper center left of my screen. Sounds like some of your have the same issue? What is the problem, can it be fixed easily, or is this 3000 tv already shot?

Username: Jazzspot

New Jersey

I'll be purchasing the 60v500 within the next month and I have a couple of questions. Should I wait for the new Hitachi releases due to come out this fall or should I just purchase ASAP?
Second question, regarding the DVI input of which there is only one, which is the preferred device to use for this input... the DVD player or the Comcast Cable (no sat dish yet) digital box?
Thanks for your replies. And this is a great forum. Plenty of info, ideas, and knowledge.

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 38
Tony,
I run my SAT on the DVI and component cable for the DVD. The DVD player will only give you 480P resolution where the HD from cable will give you 1080i/720P. No reason to waste PQ on DVD when component cables will max out the PQ for the DVD and the DVI will allow you to get the highest quality Picture from your cable.

New Jersey

Thanks much for the info Bryan!!!
Just what I needed to know.

New Jersey

Post Number: 4
Any takers on my first question on my previous post regarding whether to wait for the new Hitachi releases or get the 60V500 now?

stevieboy
Unregistered guest
Tony: Just to add to Bryan's answer for the preferred device for DVI input, here's a link that JOHN S. provided for us, back on April 16:
www.pacificcable.com/DVI_switch.html

...this device splits signals, without any apparent quality loss. One day, I may go for something like this, once our COMCAST cable starts using their DVI output!

DJ
Unregistered guest
tony, my advice is to wait until later this year. hitachi is having some QC problems with this series of TV's.

if you want to verify this, call up hitachi and ask them for either a replacement lamp, or a power supply. both are on national backorder.

here's why: the power supplies in the set have a manufacturer defect. they tend to blow about 6-12 months into ownership. before the PS blows, however, you will start to see picture quality problems. in my case, a red blob started to appear in the center of the screen, it's kind of light, but when the screen is on a dark scene or all black (switching between inputs for example), it's very visible. this is the PS starting. eventually, you will not even be able to turn the set on -- and if you do finally get it back on, KEEP IT ON until you can get it fixed!

most people start replacing the lamp when they see the problems with their picture quality. that's the reason the lamps are on national backorder. but then they find out it doesn't eliminate the problem, so they call hitachi repair. the service person comes out, and they need to replace the power supply. that's why the PS's are on national backorder.

hopefully a later release of the sets (BTW, not sure if the 50V500A has this corrected) will have this permanently solved.

New Jersey

Post Number: 5
Thanks DJ for your advise. Doesn't Hitachi manufacture their own parts? And if I wait for the new releases later this year, who is to say that Hitachi has corrected their defects of the power supply and lamp issues?
This is gonna be a tough decision!!!

Username: Don215

I just purchased the 60V500A (hasn't arrived yet) from CC along with the Samsung DVD-HD841. After reading this post and MANY others, I want to return the DVD player and purchase something else. I've researched all over the net and it's hard to just read about DVD players as apposed to actually connecting the device and seeing for yourself, which may I add is VERY time consuming. So I was hoping that anyone reading this could recommend a decent player and hopefully save me the time and aggravation. I want to stay under $250. Like everyone else, I would like the most bang for their buck with ease of use of course.

I guess I have the same issue with a Satellite HD receiver. I am getting DirecTV and hopefully spend $300 or less on a Receiver.

If you like, you can email me don215@comast.net
Thanks.

Los Angeles

Stevieboy,

The splitter from pacificcable, I wonder if you can input a computer's DVI-out and have it on the Hitachi TV. From what I undersand, connecting the computer to the DVI-in of the Hitachi directly doesn't work.

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 39
Don,

I have the DirectTV HD package...call and complain to customer service about the price difference between a "new customer" ($200) and a "old customer" ($350) for the hughes receiver and dish. I got them to give me a $150 credit. Of course that only works if you are a current customer trying to upgrade. The hughes reciever has a DVI output...get a monster cable.

Bronze Member
Username: Harbinger77

Nashville, TN

Post Number: 12
hello everyone. Great forum. I bought the 50v500 last Saturday and I'm extremely happy with it. I keep reading alot of folks rave about the Denon 2200 dvd player. Is it REALLY that much better? I spent a ton of cash upgrading my whole system, and wimped out going with a $90 sony dvd player. It seems to do a fine job, but if an upgrade on the dvd player makes that much of a difference I'd be willing to take the plunge. I know the quality of the signal going into the tv makes all the difference, but I'm cheap...ha ha ha. I hate to spend that much extra dough unless I'm gonna be able to really tell a difference. I'd love to get some opinions.

stevieboy
Unregistered guest
Ah, the great Fredzky! Welcome! My experience with viewing from an "inferior" DVD player, mirrors your opinion. The picture looks just fine. It's still early in the tech ballgame, as far as getting the high-end DVD player; until they start making Hi-Def DVD's on a regular basis, my older Panasonic DVD player will do just fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us