Archive through January 18, 2008

Username: Keiferlj

Post Number: 1
I'm new here and I am a current 50V500a owner. It sounds as though I've been fortunate in that I have not had any significant problems in 3 years. Generally I have had many hours viewing this set with its fantastic picture.

However if your set is already out of warrenty, your not faint of heart and you just want to be easily able to clean the filter on the light engine than I believe I have solved this problem. I'm also sorry if someone has previously mentioned this approach before.

It all started when I came across the discussion and through details provided by Justin Powers about the light engine overheating because of dust in the filter. After much thought I decided to take the leap of disassembling and possibly ruining a working TV. I quickly realized how time consuming the job could be so I vacuumed what I could and reassembled the set.

I then positioned the set so that one end was on its stand and the other end of the set was on a chair. This allowed me to crawl on my back underneath it like I would do with a car. I was then able to remove the 6 screws that hold the center metal stiffening bracket located directly beneath the light engine. I then took a hot pencil soldering iron and carefully, slowly, methodically, taking sure as to push the point in too far, melted out the center of the honeycomb located adjacent to the front of the set directly behind where the metal bracket yhat I had removed.

I then pulled out the rectangular 2"x 3" plastic which exposed the Filthy filter at the bottom of the light engine. Because access as still somewhat tight I took a small flexible hose which was duck tapped to the end of a vaccume cleaner and vaccumed off the dust. This worked quite well.

I then duck tapped the rectangular hole I had made and gave the tape adequate overlapp to make sure it couldnt get sucked up into the set. I then reinstalled the metal bracket which covered any visible signs of the hole I had made.

Now that I have access to the filter I can clean it in less than 15 minutes and I intend to clean it every 6 months or so. This should prevent most problems.

The only other problem I have had with this set is it likes to turn itself on when ever the power goes off and on. I never identified it as either a defect or design problem but I solved it by buying a $50 computer back up power supply.

All said and done I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I hope this helps anyone that is fortunate to discover this forum like I did before their light engine melts down.

LK

Username: Cbcooldad

Post Number: 8
I believe my time on this site is finished. Yeah!!
I got my 50v500 back and everything is great. I kinda forgot how great this TV is. I must have been slowly getting used to the degrading picture. Wow, its like a new TV. I hope it lasts a long time.
My cost: $115.00 for a new light engine.
The tech told me to think plasma for my next set. He says there is less to go wrong. Who knows......
Good luck to everyone else who are still dealing with this malfunction.
Thanks all for everything.

Bronze Member
Username: Sboone03

Post Number: 14
Regarding lamps, I saw an earlier post that someone had 8700 hours or so on the original lamp. I had the LE replaced several months ago and had about 9300 hours on the original lamp. I haven't checked but my guess is that it's well over 10,000 now. I'm going to order one now since I figure I'm on borrowed time and saw one on-line at Laptops For Less for $185.00, free shipping. Is there anything I should look out for here?

Username: Cbcooldad

Post Number: 9
I bought the same lamp and don't believe there is any thing wrong with it. It is just a good price.
I bought the lamp because my picture was getting dark. I thought the lamp was dimming. I put the new one in and there was no change. I emailed Laptops 4 less and they were willing to send me another one. All I needed was the order # and they would send me the RMA#. However, I did not follow through because my tech told me the lamp will just die when it is time and they do not dim. He told me that when he replaces the light engine, that will fix my problem and for me to hang on to the new lamp because I would need it.
He replaced the LE, my picture is better than ever and I have a spare lamp.
So....don't be afraid of Laptops 4 less,I believe they are reputable.

Username: Brianlyle31

Hi Everyone, I am hoping I can find someone that has had the same problem I am having. When I attempt to turn on my tv (50v500), I will sometimes hear a squeaking sound coming from the lower right hand corner that repeats 3 or 4 times. The screen will never light up but the blue led is on as if everything is normal. Sometimes this doesn't happen at all and it just turns on normally. Any help of suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

Username: Surferboy

Anyone have a fix for the "set black side panel" on the Hitachi 50V500 from the default gray to black? The set does not remember black when turned off then back on and I have to reset it each time I turn it on.

Username: Bphisig

Last night I was trying to do a service menu tweak for vertical banding, and I guess I held down the right arrow for too long, because I got a message saying "auto adjust" and from what I can tell, the brightness level got turned way up.

I can make it a little bit better if I go into the regular video settings and adjust the brightness down, but it still isn't the same as it used to be. I tried doing a factory reset, and this didn't appear to fix the problem.

Can anyone help me out with a fix for this? HELP!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Thepet

Post Number: 13
Brent,

You could try a memory init in the service menu. Go to the memory init checkbox and hold the joystick on the remote to the right for a few seconds until the checkbox has a check in it.

Good luck.

Username: Bphisig

Post Number: 2
What does the memory init do? I'm pretty hesitant to try anything.

After reading the service manual, it appears that there are two adjustments for brightness. i think that is what was changed, but I will have to check tonight to make sure.

If it makes any difference, this all happened when I held the right arrow when on the 480p menu item in the service menu. I think it's the first item on the second page of the service menu.

Username: Jrashley53

My light engine went out last week -I now have high definition black & white TV. Repairman said it would cost $1,135 to repair. After reading the posts here, I called Hitachi myself (1-800-hitachi), was quickly referred to customer service, and was offered a free replacement lamp, but told I had to pay for the labor. I said that was not acceptable, the product was manufactured defectively, mentioned "warranty of merchantablity" (A breach of warranty occurs when the promise is broken, i.e., a product is defective or not as should be expected by a reasonable buyer) & then asked to speak to a supervisor. I was put on hold for about a minute, and the service rep said they agreed to supply parts AND labor. They asked for the phone number of my repair shop & said they would arrange it with them.
I don't think they should make people jump through hoops like this, they should have issued a general recall, but if they get it fixed, I'll be happy. I do love the TV - when it works right.
Will keep you posted about the outcome.

Username: Cduff

HELP HELP HELP

I went into the service meni and now my screen is all red!!!! I had the red glow in the center and now I would give my left foot for just that much red!!!! HELP!!!

Thanks in Advance
Chris

Username: Questkat

Toronto, Ontario

Post Number: 4
February 2, 2007
To Hitachi Canada:

My Name is Bryce *** and I have been dealing with your company for the past few months on a customer service / consumer relation related issue in regards to my LCD Projection TV a model 50V500 which was purchased in April of 04. The reason I am writing this letter to you today is due to the lack of professionalism and respect that I received when calling into your customer service number this day to discuss my file with Hitachi Canada.

Today I called to enquire about file number 69143, and was speaking with a representative by the name of Kyle, whom was rude, unprofessional and has made a terrible example of what Hitachi Customer Service is about. According to your mission statement, Kyle has failed miserably at meeting the professional service and being that front line to your customers, which is outlined in your Mission Statement:

"Hitachi Canada Ltd ., through its employees, will always conduct business with the highest level of integrity, while striving to support the communities we live and do business in."

"Our focus is to use Hitachi 's technological strengths, to deliver products and solutions that reflect the highest core values of our organization and offer the greatest contribution to improving society's quality of life."

"Our goal is that all actions taken in the pursuit of excellence meet our customer's needs and will serve to 'Inspire the Next"

To get right to the heart of the matter, I was trying to speak with a Customer Service Manager, after speaking with Kyle twice at the phone number of 905-821-4545, to escalate a response to my issues and concerns as Kyle was not able to tell me any further information at the time, so I asked for a Supervisor. At this time Kyle said there is no manager available and would put me on hold, at which time he hung up on me............... I phoned back to the switch board and asked to speak to Customer Service and was then transferred to the Customer Service line again. This time I received a live line with no agent apparently on the line, but was able to hear voices and people conversing on the other end.

At this time, I recognized the voice of Kyle, speaking to others about this "A$$HOLE" that he had on the phone that was asking to speak to a manager, at this time someone responded "PUT and LEAVE THE PERSON ON HOLD AS I DON'T WANT TO SPEAK WITH THEM" (I assume this was the manager). This chit chat went on for a while until another person who I did not recognize the voice of, said "YOU HAVE A CALL" obviously unaware that I had been on the line through their entire conversation up to that point (Approx 2-3 minutes). At this time, Kyle announced himself and I said, "Kyle, this is Bryce ****, and I would like to speak to your Manager". Kyle responded with the statement "He is not around at this time". I asked to be transferred to the Supervisors extension so that I may leave a message, to which Kyle said "I am not able to transfer calls, due to a problem with them (Customer service, I Presume) not being able to transfer calls to internal numbers".

I find that statement very hard to believe, being as I researched this TV and company ( HITACHI) prior to deciding to purchase this TV, and came across how many companies, and how much technology Hitachi has, and utilizes, it's hard to believe that your agents and infrastructure is unable to transfer simple telephone calls.

At this point, I became quite frustrated and ended the call with Kyle, and contacted the Hitachi switchboard, @ 905-821-4545 and spoke with the receptionist and asked to be transferred to the Manager / Supervisor of Customer Service, as I had been asking a representative (KYLE) to transfer me to the Managers extension and he had refused to. I am wondering if you only have on Customer Service Representative as over and over I only seem to speak with Kyle. The receptionist said that she would speak to Customer Service and get them to transfer me to the Manager. I again got transferred to Customer Service, and once again got Kyle. I asked to be transferred to speak with David Williams. Kyle says "He is not able to transfer the call". I asked to obtain David's email address so that I may send him an email and was told by Kyle that he is not able to give out that information. Kyle said then that he was not able to transfer me either, but would get David to call me back. I asked at what number would he be calling and instructed Kyle to get him to call me at work @ 905-***-****. This was updated (Apparently) and the call ended. As of yet, now 3 hours later.... I still am yet to receive a call regarding this matter.

I then called Sears Canada, (whom I have also been in contact with as the TV has been purchased through them) and updated the Sears Representative about the issue with Hitachi that I have been experiencing. I gave her the background on the issues and she offered to get in touch with them on my behalf. She called me back after the conclusion of her conversation and was told that David Williams @7997 was no longer an employee of Hitachi , Canada and that the Manager is actually a person by the name of Chris......?? How is it that Kyle would not know this but instead kept me on hold and refused to put me through to a Supervisor, someone whom he willfully knows is either no longer employed with Hitachi, but continues to let me believe that I am going to receive a call back from this Service Manager that I find out from a third party and not a rep of Hitachi that this person does not exist in this company any longer.... That is neglect of duty and extremely unprofessional.

This is one of many calls that I have made to Hitachi in an attempt to resolve an issue that has been diagnosed and concluded by both, Hitachi Service Representatives, Sears Technicians and countless websites to be a problem with the first generation Light Engines issued for the 50V500 units. The issues I am experiencing with my set, is that there is a huge red circle in the entire view/screen of the TV. For example, when there is a black or darkened image to be portrayed on screen, it seems to be twilight and colors and images are distorted.

Many websites and technicians have diagnosed this problem as a LIGHT ENGINE issue, due to "inadequate ventilation" in the first generation of these units, as there is not enough ventilation holes to deal with the immense heat created by the LIGHT ENGINE which fry's the LCD causing the RED CLOUD EFFECT on the SCREEN. In the replacement LIGHT ENGINES ( UX22201D) , the ventilation area was changed and takes into consideration the VENTILATION issues in earlier models.

I am a consumer who did a lot of research on purchasing this TV and paid approx. $**** CAD for this TV only for this to happen to my set a little after 2 years. I feel that I have been wronged by this and would like to be in contact with someone from your company to resolve this issue and renew my faith in Hitachi so that I can actually enjoy this TV that I saved enough money to purchase, and enjoy with my friends and family. I loved the TV enough to go and get it but am not satisfied with the amount of service and consumer relations I have experienced thus far with Hitachi Canada . I am eager after months and months of research and obtaining information that anyone has requested of me ... only to end up in a conversation that ended up going nowhere with your representative Kyle.

This has caused a lot of frustration and stress on my part and I would just like to receive a comparable fix to this issue and to receive an answer and apology based on the actions and responses and unprofessional attitude I have experienced today.

At the end of all of this mess created today... I just simply want to have my TV back in working order the way it was intended to be so that I can get away from this headache and get back to just enjoying the TV like the way it was intended to work. Based on the Implied Warranty of Merchantability, I would say that this is neither the quality nor the experience I was expecting when I purchased this Hitachi Product.

http://www.hitachi.ca/Apps/hitachicanada/content.jsp?page=about/contact_us/index .html&path=jsp/hcl/hcl/en/

Sales, Customer Service & Technical Service Information

Hitachi knows the value of support, and has deep commitment to its existing and future customers. ( BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN NON EXISTANT )

The development of a leading support network has made Hitachi one of the world's leading global electronics companies. We invite inquiries into products or technology you may already have, or to learn more about something that you may be considering for your life, or for your business. ( WELL THE INQUIRIES I HAVE MADE HAVE NOT GONE ANYWHERE AND IF THIS IS THE TYPE OF CONVERSATIONS I AM TO HAVE WITH YOUR COMPANY, I WILL NO LONGER THINK OF HITACHIFOR NOW OR FOR FUTURE LIFE AND OR BUSINESS)

If you are interested in learning more about Hitachi, or have questions regarding any of Hitachi's superior products, please contact us through one of these methods:

Write us at:
Hitachi Canada Ltd.
2495 Meadowpine Blvd.
Mississauga , Ontario
Canada
L5N 6C3
Tel: (905) 821-4545 (TRIED THIS AND ONLY GET KYLE)... TRIED ALSO A MANAGER THAT DOES NOT EXIST AS HE NO LONGER WORKS FOR THIS COMPANY. KYLE ALSO REFUSED TO PASS ME THROUGH TO WHOEVER IS NOW OVERSEEING THE CUSTOMER SERVICE/ ORGANIZATION.
Fax: (905) 826-8818
Email us at:
customerservice@hitachi.ca

However, when contacting your organization, I was extremely impressed by the professional attitude and empathy from the switchboard/receptionist, Thank You, for your assistance.

END RESULT after a personal phone call from the CEO of Hitachi Canada, Friday Afternoon 30 minutes after sending this above note (who was on a private jet at the time returning from Argentina) Aknowledged the receipt of my note... and told me that this would be investigated and followed up on Monday morning.

Monday morning, the results are in and...

Hitachi 50V500 LE = $0
Service to install = $0
Lamp for 50v500 = $0 (Supplied by Sears Canada)
Service for LAMP installation = $0
Getting that Kyle guy fired = PRICELESS

Also turns out that Hitachi Customer Service line is contracted out to a third party company..... (NOT AUTHORIZED HITACHI PERSONNEL)

Anyways... Thank You to all of those who have written on this thread as all of your input was critical in determining my issue and helping me become more informed on this issue. It was also nice to see that if you push enough and don;t take NO for an answer that you can still accomplish your results.

Thank You again, my RED CLOUD BROTHERS AND SISTERS...

Sincerly,
Bryce

Bronze Member
Username: Zepp36

Colorado

Post Number: 11
Bryce,
I think the good news is that there is life after red cloud with these TV's.

I went thru much the same saga you did with my 50V500 a year ago. It was two months of general consternation and untold dozens of phone calls.
But eventually Hitachi won my trust and solved the problem to my satisfaction.

Now a year later my replacement LE has performed flawlessly. I'm getting more and more HD programming from Comcast and the picture and sound on the 50V500 is stunning. And that's with my original lamp at 6500hrs.

Username: Questkat

Toronto, Ontario

Post Number: 5
I actually and just tying up all the loose ends today finally..........
TV LOOKS BRILLIANT .... AGAIN ...FINALLY and turns out to get the part installed, a new lamp and the service to replace the LE,...I paid about $125.00 CAD So .. can I really complain about a $1400 Service call and part cost costing my $125.... NOPE....

It just ammazing to me how many hoops one has to actually jump through, in order to get the defective part replaced.

In speaking with the HITACHI AUTHORIZED TECH, he stated that the ventilation is the cause due to inadequate ventilation and the filter being clogged. The replacement LE has 2 times the ventilation space as the original...

End result..... SATISFIED.......

Thank You to all of you who assisted in the determination of these issues and your comments and suggestions were key in getting my issues resolved...

Bryce

Username: Donm

Has there been any LE problems with the 50v500a sets? Mine is starting to develope this blue spot starting at the top center of screen and moving down towards the center of screen. It has a Dec.'04 manf. date. I bought it year and a half ago.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1398
­
Don, I have followed this thread since the beginning and I believe there is no difference in the LEs of the "A" sets vs. the non-A TVs. There does seem to be a difference in the service menus between the two, but the dreaded blue blob/red cloud plagues both groups equally.

Good luck.

Username: Airhog

Florida

Actually Hitachi is sending different units for the two sets the 50V500 gets part# UX22201D
And the 50V500A gets # UX22202D (Add "R" to the end of either for the remanufactured unit)

Using the wrong LE in the wrong set will cause color issues or service menu issues depending on which is used in what.

But as for everything else there identical, same internal parts, same form factor, same problems.

Username: Candymanaz

AZ

Post Number: 6
after 3 years, i finally got hit.
surprising it took so long.
i got the blue blob.

hitachi made me get a authorized service rep to come out and diagnose, wich cost me $75. Even after I told them of all the research I had done.

Now they only want to send the LE to Abel's video wants to charge me $395 just to install the LE. That doesn't include the lamp.

I have sent a BBB inquiry to Hitachi since their customer service reps aren't helping.

Hitachi did say there is a different light engine between the 50v500 and the "a" model.

AZ

Post Number: 7
Hitachi Rules!

I just called Hitachi again, and they are sending Abel's Video the part and are faxing them authorization for the labor! All I have to do now is get them the tv when the part comes in!

WOOHOO!

Hitachi has just made me a lifetime customer!

Before I bought this tv I did alot of research and was happy I bought it. Then I read all the posts on the issues and was dreading the day this would happen to my tv.

Well, all I can say is, Hitachi really came through and makes me happy I bought the tv, again, in the first place!

Update on my blue blob: Called two service company's, spoke with two different service techs. After telling them the symptoms both said they didn't need to come out that they knew what the problem was. LE.
Called Hitachi and they said " how could they possibly know without physically looking at set." So, 96 bucks later Sears rep says "its the light engine". Good news is after Hitachi confirmed with Sears they say they will pay for new LE,not refurbished. Bad news is they wont pay for install. Sears was going to charge 826.65 for a refurbished LE and 242.00 for the install. Hope they have fixed the problem.

Username: Luvharmony

The "red blob" has been progressively getting larger and larger on my 50v500 for the last year and half or so. We were watching a dvd when we first noticed it. The movie had a lot of dark scenes in it so it was noticeable that there was an awfully lot of "red" in the black background. However, before that my kids noticed something wasn't quite right. When it did occur I did some research on the web and could not find any information about this problem. I was about to throw my tv out the window when I decided to do one more search on the internet and see if I could find out any information. Sure enough, I found this site! I was so glad to know that it wasn't "just me."

It is sad when you spend this much on a tv and you're so excited about it and all and it turns out like this.

I used to have the High Definition package with Directv, but canceled that because it wasn't worth extra money to pay for it when the picture was so crappy!

Anyhow, I called Hitachi and let them know of my research of this "known problem." The guy said I had to have a company come out and diagnose the problem before they would do anything, even though we both know what the problem was. The guy on the phone was very up-front with me and said that once I do that, I can call back and speak with CR - Customer Relations. However, he indicated that I should probably have my husband call and do the talking; someone that won't be taken advantage of and someone that was willing to be an ***hole about it!

Today we had a company come out and access the problem. Other than turning on the tv, the tech knew what that the problem was with the light engine right away.

My husband then called Hitachi, and asked to speak to a CR - Customer Relations - person. They said that they were all busy right now and would have to call him back. After waiting 45 min. I told him that they wouldn't call him back so he would have to call them.

He called them again and was transferred to a CR rep. He was very polite and didn't beat around the bush with them. He told them exactly what he wanted, which was a brand new light engine free of charge. They agreed to this with no problem and will be sending it to the tv repair company. We do however have to pay for labor. So all in all the tv will end up costing us about $322.00. I am happy. I will let you know when it's all said and done and how my tv looks after it's fixed. Thank you everyone on this message board for "arming" me with the information I needed to get what was right!

Username: Mitchy_beaman

I purchased my Hitachi 50v500 in July of 2005 for 3600$. I was never asked to purchase extended warantee, in fact I was surprised to find out that the TV only had a one year warantee.

I first noticed something weird with my Hitachi about 3 months after I bought it. When I turned it on it would show a red haze but the picture seemed unaffected. So at that time I figured it was OK. Approximately 17 months (December 2006) after the day I purchased my TV I noticed that a blue blob was forming in the top right corner of my TV.

I immediately looked on the net to see if I could find anyone else with this issue. Thats when I stumbled on this site and realized that I was not alone.

I placed my first call to Hitachi and they informed me that I would have to get a tech to take a look at it even though I knew that it was the light engine. The tech in my area does not do house calls so I was forced to physically transport the TV to the repair shop and take the chance of smashing it. I was not able to bring the TV into the repair shop until February and I had to give the repair guy 100$ before he would even look at it. At the end of the day the repair guy told me the LE was pooched and had to be replaced. He also informed me that it would be over 1000$ to fix. This is when I noticed that there were 3 other TV sets in his shop for repair...all of them Hitachi's just like mine.

So I lugged my TV back home and called Hitachi back. The rep. told me that the repair guy has to fax the work order to them before we could proceed. Of course, by this time the repair guy's shop is closed. So I wait until the next day and call the repair guy and give him the fax number (you'd think he'd know) and ask him to send the work order to Hitachi. The next day I call Hitachi back and they inform me they never received any fax. So I call the repair guy back and he said he sent it but would send it again. So again, I wait until the next day to call and finally they received the work order. Now the rep tells me that they need the original invoice for my TV. This is in March, I've placed about a dozen calls and this is the first time that they ask me for this. So I call the Brick(where I purchased it) and ask the guy to fax Hitachi the original invoice. I call Hitachi back about an hour later and they say that they received the fax and that I should wait one week for them to review my claim. I wait the full week and call them back. Now they tell me that they never received the fax(sound familiar). So I call the Brick back and get the guy to send it to them again. I call Hitachi back to confirm that they received it and they did. So I wait another week and Hitachi still has not called me back like they promised. I wait two more days and finally I received a message on the answering machine.

I called them back and the customer rep was happy to inform me that they would cover 523$ of the cost. I asked the rep if this amount was the complete cost of the part and he did not know. So I asked him to transfer me to someone who would know and he transfered me to the guy that I had been dealing with most of the time. He told me that the 523$ was the full amount of the part but that I would have to pay the labor. I was satisfied with this until I called the repair guy and he told me that Hitachi is only covering half of the part and that after tax, shipping and labor costs I would have to fork over 716$ to fix it.

So once again I call Hitachi back, livid, and tell the guy the whole story of what I've had to put up with over the last three months. I asked him how he figures that I should have to pay anything for a TV set that I paid 3600$ for not even two years prior. I get put on hold for about 10 minutes and then the rep tells me that my case is still being investigated and that they will call me at work the next day. Well tomorrow is the next day and I will hopefully find out if Hitachi will pay for their defective LE part.

I am not impressed with the service I received from Hitachi. In fact, I think its safe to say that I will never buy another Hitachi product again. Since December the quality of the picture o nmy TV has gotten worse. The blob has grown and is now in the middle of my TV. My lamp life is at around 4000 hours. I'll post the result of my saga once it is completed.

AZ

well, abel's came and picked up my tv yesterday for repair at their shop. They said it'd be about a week. So my wife and i have sworn off tv for a week! so far so good.

I don't think you should say you'll never buy another hitachi. It's not a hitachi part that went bad, from what i understand. It's a defective part in a tv, it happens. The question is, how does Hitachi resolve it.
If they pay for the defective part to be replaced, then all is good!

I'll also continue to post once I get my tv back from the shop to let you all know the outcome.Upload

Username: Jimbeckel

Rochester, Illinois Usa

I have a Hitachi 50V500 purchased in July 2004. The white colors on the screen now appear to have a pinkish hue. I have tried to adjust the color and tint with no success. I do not have the red or blue blob problem. Does anyone have any idea what causes this? Is it a bad bulb or the LE problem?

Florida

Post Number: 9
James, what your witness to is the beginning of the end unfortunately. The pink or blue tint, (pink in your case) is the start of the dreaded blob issue. If your TV has not been updated to the new light engine then it's only a matter of when, not if.

Call Hitach, and then your repair man.

Rochester, Illinois Usa

Justin,

Thanks for replying so quickly. We've been sitting here most of the night trying to figure this out, but it's getting worse, not better, despite our attempts to adjust the color and tint. We appreciate knowing that the blob is coming next. Just to clarify, it's not the bulb but the light engine, correct? If it's the LE, do you know what those generally cost and if you can get the part on the internet? I'm an electronics technician, so would prefer not to pay a repairman if I can manage to do it myself. Thanks!

Florida

Post Number: 10
Yes it is the light engine, call Hitachi and tell them your problem, they have been real good about replacing them. The part costs about $1200 for a new unit, and around $400 for a refurb so calling them first is a good way to go.

As for replacing it yourself, it's not really difficult, i did the swap myself as did a few others here, Although getting Hitachi to send the unit directly to you is another issue. Although not impossible.

Rochester, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 3
Justin,

Thanks for all the info. We'll do battle with them tomorrow and hope for the best. Thanks again.

Username: Luvharmony

welcome to the red blob club James. Best of Luck. By the way, now that my tv is fixed, I'm lovin' it again! whoo hoo. I'm very happy w/ the way hitachi handled the problem w/ us over the phone

Well, Hitachi sent the new LE. Sears installed for $242. Twenty four hours later heard a pop then saw white bar along bottom of screen,worse, sometimes when I turn set on all I get is a bright blue screen with pink stripes. Takes several on/off cycles and it eventually comes on. To their credit Hitachi sent another LE and Sears installed it for free.

Username: Sjones1

Post Number: 10
Looks like Discount-Merchant.com has the cheapest price on the lamps...

http://www.discount-merchant.com/UX21516-Lamp-p/hitachi_lp700_ux21516_oem.htm&Cl ick=1466

They are relatively inexpensive compared to the RCA and Philips DLP LCOS Lamps!

S. Jones

Rochester, Illinois Usa

I have an update on my problem with the pinkish hue, it turns out that it was not the light engine problem. It was a EEPROM that holds the factory default settings that went bad. The service center replaced the EEPROM reprogrammed and checked out, it works great back to normal!!!!!!

Username: Rushfan2112

Hello all in the blue/pink blob group,

First, I want to thank everybody for all of the suggestions given and comments allowing me to feel that at least I'm not alone in this battle. Second, congrats to everyone that has been able to get Hitachi to fork over a new LE for you, I think that's great!

I'm having the same problem as the rest of you. I bought my 50V500 in June 2004 and it has around 7500 hours on it and now it looks like this:

Upload

You can't see the pink blob in the middle too well because the blue blobs are overpowering it. I've emailed and spoken to 2 different Hitachi CSRs and I keep getting the same thing that there's nothing they can do about it. Extremely irritated with Hitachi and their crappy customer service and not being the type of person that wants to be a complete jerk in order to get a company to fix a major flaw in their own design, I've been doing some research on doing it myself. I was able to find a copy of the service manual here: www.ued.net for $612.34 with a $200 refund for sending back your old part making it $412.34 to fix it myself. I've also deleted all but the last 14 pages of the service manual and posted it here for anybody who is in the same boat as me and can't get Hitachi to do the right thing, but still want to keep your 50V500: http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/29684/Hitachi_50V500.html

I'm actually still in the phase of deciding whether to fix the TV myself, which honestly isn't that hard, it's just a little intimidating at first, or to say screw Hitachi and get a new LCD all together.

I hope this might help some people reading this post and getting to the very bottom of it.

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 11
Zak,

That's unfortunate that Hitachi wont replace your LE, I have had very few if any problems getting new LE's. As you saw in my other post with the pink blob, i was able to get a new LE shipped to my door with a little coursing.

As of now however my "new" LE is having the exact same problem your having. Even down to the locations of the blue blobs, I'm wondering what the problem is in this instance since the same areas are affected.

My new LE will be here tomorrow, I didnt mention the "blue blobs", stuck with the tried and true "red blob" story and they were pretty quick to get things settled. I'll be installing it myself and documenting all the findings when i dissect the old LE once again. I'm interested to see whether the actual LCD's are getting damaged by heat again, or if its something unrelated.

I cant imagine that this would happen to a new LE in under 3 months with the newly redesigned airflow in place, but who knows. This will definitely be my last battle with this set, so hopefully it sticks for a while, with all the new sets out there and this one not supporting 1080p it's time to move on anyway.

If you give me a few days so i can tear the old one apart, it may give you some ammunition against Hitachi to get your claim approved. But if it were me and i had to pay for the part, i would just take the money and put it towards an new set. Especially since theres no guarantee that the new LE will last.

-Justin

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1597
­
Justin, I am surprised Hitachi has been so accomodating to you in view of the fact that you have been doing your own tear-downs and replacements. I would have guessed they'd want an outside tech to do some verification.

Anyway after your second self-accomplished LE replacement, you will probably know the nuts and bolts of this operation better than the actual 'certified' techs who're supposed to be better than any "amateur."

Aside from a single stuck pixel, my set is still going. Since it is in a dedicated HT finished room in the basement, I rarely use it more than about 10 hrs a week. I know of course it's only a matter of time before the pink cloud/blue blob arrives, but at this rate I'll be so long out of warranty Hitachi won't give me the time of day.

So when that day comes I have come to some conclusions about what I will do:

As prices come down on projectors my interest goes up. There's something very appealing about the prospect of a 100" image on the wall behind where the 50V500 now sits.

Whatever system the actual TV turns out to be, it will be 1080p.

It will not be Hitachi. Years ago when I used to sell TVs on the floor of a major retailer I was always impressed by the Hitachi Ultravision TVs. They used to routinely blow away the Sonys, Mitsubishis and other rear projection TVs on the floor. So back in Dec '03 when I was looking it didn't take long to pick this set. I knew the store was eager to sell the TV (due no doubt to high profit margin) because they were dealin' and offering 2 years same as cash. So I went for it.

Next time I won't be so trigger happy.
­

Justin,

Thanks in advanced for giving me an update on your findings of the blue blobs. And thanks a million for the previous pics you posted showing all that was going wrong with the light engine, that really helped me out. I think it's great that you were able to convince Hitachi to send a replacement LE right to your home. Hitachi wouldn't even give me the time of day, let alone an LE without a certified technician charging me an arm and a log just to come out and tell me what I already know. Kudos to you, my friend. I just wish I had your powers of persuasion.

I think you're right in not spending the cash on a "new" LE and just wait for a good deal on a new LCD that handles 1080p. Maybe I'll come home from work all honked off one day and try Hitachi again and scream until they give in..LOL .

Zak}

Username: Star_skip_banga

and the red cloud spreads...I just bought one off ebay for 200 dollars and of course it had a new lamp but broken light engine. I work with Dell warrantied computers as a profession and noticed that they fix their machines with refurbished parts. I also fixed a bad IR spot on a philips dvd player 5960/37 which was causing me not to be able to use the remote control(the actual dvd tray inside the machine said.....SONY). Now I've been pricing the light engines and I noticed that they range from a couple chundred to 1200. If I was the consumer I wouldnt settle for a cheaper part because alot of times its a quick band aid fix and usually the tech on site just want to see a quick smile on your face and leave to get back to their life. If the part breaks down later, usually the tech will blame the manafactuer and do the same fix whatever they sent him again. So my whole reason on this post is to be thorough and if possible get the service done at your house. A lot of things can go wrong where the tech will become ambigious and forget he broke it.

I called hitachi before i bought the tv and they asked me when i bought the tv and if i had the receipt. I told them no and they asked for the serial number. I am about to continue the saga today and I just spent 2 hours reading over the blogs since feb 2006. Congrats to all that have had success.

PS previous fixed equipment
old sylvania tv that coax broke off.
Xbox 360 red of death brought back from the dead
Various computers and Dells
Philips dvd player
My Mommas toaster...JK

Fixing equipment isnt hard, its just screws and plugs and the bigger pieces them screws and plugs connect to.

Username: Star_skip_banga

I was stupid and told them that i bought it off ebay. Read the warranty papers to make sure that you fit in the category before you even call hitachi.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
It's been a while since I visited the discussion and I see the problems with the LE continue. I had mine replaced about a year ago and it's beautiful.

Now I have a new problem. It started a couple of days ago. The TV would turn itself off and the red "Lamp" light would flash. If I waited a few minutes, I could turn it back on. It would then turn off again after anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours with the same flashing light. This morning it went off again but this time the red "Temp" light was flashing, not the "Lamp" light.

My lamp is on borrowed time since it now has probably 12,000 hours on it. Could this be causing the problem? Could it be the cooling fan? I hear the fan running when it's on so I don't see how that could be it.

Anyone else had this happen? Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I went ahead and replaced the lamp and it had 12086 hours on it! I wonder if a dirty filter could be causing this problem? I have the service manual and I can't find anything about how to clean the filter. Does anyone know how or know where it is in the manual?

William,

If you are asking about how to clean the filter on the light engine, it's not in the manual. If you have the old design of engine, the filter is located on the bottom of the light engine as you can see with this picture taken from the front of the TV and has to be completely removed to clean it.
Upload
If you have the redesigned light engine, I've heard that it is located on the back of the engine and can be reached just by taking off the back panel, but I can't be certain as I have the old kind.

Zak

Username: Kenmcgrew

I can't get the instructions to download. Can anyone send them to me or help me locate them pdf won't open. Etc.

Ken

Ken,

What troubles are you having with downloading the instructions? I noticed that when you hit the "to download the file, please click here" link at the bottom, you have to save it to your hard drive and then open it. It doesn't seem to work when you try to open it directly from the web site.

Zak

Username: Bob_f

Well, wish me luck. I have a 50V500 purchased 11-2004 with the now infamous "red cloud". I have been living with it for a while, but in addition I also have the blue blotch at the top of my screen that dips 2-3" at the center and runs horizontially over 2/3's of the screen. No extended warranty, so Hitachi CR, here we come!! Will keep you posted. Thanks for all the info.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
My problems with this TV continue. I replaced the lamp and that didn't fix the problem of it turning off. The Tech came out and replaced the lamp with an OEM lamp from Hitachi ($479 including trip charge) and said that had solved this problem with every other TV like this. The TV played for a few hours and then turned off again. I called the tech and he said he would have to replace the ballast...another $400 or so. I decided I didn't want to put any more money into this set so I bought a new 60" Sony and it's beautiful.

So I returned the lamp to the tech and bought the ballast since it was only about $250. I just replaced the ballast with the new one and the problem remains. So my question is....has anyone had any luck selling one of these for parts? The light engine is almost new since it was replaced just last year. I hate to just junk it .

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 12
William,

Cant help with the tv turning off, but at this point i would just enjoy the new sony. If you decide to sell the Hitachi though, parting it out on ebay would be the best way to get a good return on it.

I see these sets refurbed selling for about $600, I was able to get close to that just for a light engine, the drive boards go for around $200, lamp $200 etc... Just strip it down and sell it that way, i'm sure you'll end up with enough for a second set, or those new golf clubs.

-Justin

Username: The_tony_show

I'm a new user here, and this is my first post. I found the forum while searching for the answer to my 50v500 red blob issue.

This forum was invaluable for helping me negotiate the replacement LE process through Hitachi. I am out of warranty, but after seeing how common the issue was, I called 1-800-HITACHI and explained the situation to the rep Melissa. She had a local repair company come and inspect the LE (at my cost), and then authorized a new LE to be sent. It will be installed tomorrow, and I'm really looking forward to enjoying my expensive set again without the red blob of death.

Kudos to Hitachi's customer service- it was ace. Friendly and quick. It appears they realize that this LE problem is a bad design and are standing behind it.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1749
­
Tony, thanks for taking the time to post. It's the first good news I've seen in a while. :-)

The new LE is installed, and all I can say is "wow"- I had forgotten how good this TV used to look. Apparently the blob issue had other side effects, like loss of sharpness and (obviously) color accuracy. Not only is the red haze gone, but the picture looks so sharp and clean. The degradation was so gradual that I hadn't even noticed my overall picture quality failing.

To everyone having this issue: I encourage you to call Hitachi. I was extremely polite but up front about finding others online with the same problem, and they took excellent care of me.

Username: Dustindd

I have a SONY VAIO VGC-RB62G MEDIA CENTER PC and a HITACHI LCD REAR PROJECTION TELEVISION 50V500A.

I know the TV is compatible with MCE based on what others have posted online. As you can see by the conversation below, Sony wasn't able to help me troubleshoot whether the issue was PC related so I still have no way of knowing if it's the computer or the TV.

user Dustin has entered room

analyst Melvin_ has entered room

Melvin_> Thanks for waiting, Dustin. I'll be glad to help you with the information on the Windows Media Center.

Dustin> I have a Windows Media Center PC

Dustin> I have purchased a DVI-D cable and hooked it up to the DVI port on my Media Center PC and connected it to my 50" LCD TV's DVI port

Dustin> My TV is not displaying anything from the computer

Dustin> I am trying to troubleshoot to see if it is an issue with the computer or the TV

Dustin> How will I be able to tell if the computer is sending the output signal

Dustin> to the TV

Dustin> ?

Dustin> My boss has his media center pc hooked up to his pc and it works great, so I spent the money to buy the cable to hook mine up. He has a different TV though.

Melvin_> Dustin, did you connect the TV to the Desktop securely?

Dustin> yep

Dustin> I am on the correct input on the TV

Dustin> my TV manual says to be on VID1 and I am

Dustin> so being on VID1 I should be seeing what is on the computer

Melvin_> Thanks for waiting, Dustin.

Melvin_> I would like to forward a link to a page where you can view the troubleshooting steps for the issue.

Melvin_> When you receive the link please click on it to open the page and let me know if you are able to view it.

Melvin_> http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/autoresponsev4.asp?id=340650

Dustin> I have done some research online and I know the TV is capable of doing what I want to do.

Dustin> I clicked your link, and this is not only an issue when full-screen or not full-screen. I have tried both.

Dustin> My boss is able to view his desktop on his TV, not just the Media Center application.

Dustin> https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/114920.html

Dustin> search for 50v500 and you will also see that it can be done... so this is clearly an issue with the computer

Melvin_> Dustin, you may have to install a new Video card to use the Multiple Monitors.

Dustin> sir, there is a DVI slot that came pre-installed on the computer when I purchased it

Dustin> why would I have to buy a seperate video card?

The Sony Rep then suggested I reboot my computer and go to the control panel, double click Display, then click the Settings tab and select the "Extend my Windows Desktop onto this Monitor" which was already selected. Naturally, after I rebooted my conversation with the Rep was disconnected. Still not able to view anything from the computer on my TV.

I also notice a "red cloud" starting to form on my LCD screen... it's in the early stages, and I guess I'll be battling that one out soon too.

Username: Amoffatt

University Park, IL

Hello all. I'm new here, but you can count on seeing a lot more of me.

http://www.youtube.com/firemedic86
(look for Hitachi 50V500)

I first laid eyes on this beauty when I was walking out to my car to go to fire department training this past monday night. I saw the TV sitting by the curb, and knew the people who lived in that house. So I asked him what was wrong with it, and he said "it has a red kind of haze in the middle. The guys at best buy said you might be able to fix it with a magnet, or maybe they said it was broken by a magnet, i don't remember". Well, he's a really cool guy, but I don't think he's the technical type. So I asked if he cared if I took it, he said no. He even helped me carry it up my stairs to my appartment.

Once inside, I immediately plugged it in, hooked it up to the satelite and turned it on. When I saw the problem, my first reaction was "well this isn't so bad. I can live with this". But then I just realized that this was supposed to be an amazing TV and this just sucked.

So I jumped on the net and started doing homework. When I found this site, i was amazed to find how many others had this problem. Even more amazed by some of the pictures and explanations.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't find that nifty PDF file on how to remove the light engine until AFTER I had dismantled damn near the entire TV. All the better for my learning...or so I thought.

It seems there is another known issue. The ribbon cable that hooks up to the top board on the LE is held on by a pressure clip. That clip is known to fall off, or break. If it falls off, Hitachi techs are instructed to look for it and attempt to put it back on. If it can not be located, they have to order an entire new LE! :-(

I did find the clip, but the very tip is missing, and I'm afraid that is what is now causing my problem.

Now, the "lamp" light flashes, and I get nothing on the TV. I found a way to get another LE for about $360, which isn't bad considering if I can swing that, I got this TV for that price.

Any advice from some of the more experienced out there? I can give you pics, video, etc at the drop of a hat. My email is amoffatt@mchsi.com if you have any tips for me. I really appreaciate it. I plan to contribute to this board with anything I can as you guys have done so much for me. Thanks a million!

-Adam

Username: Bpsmicro

Greetings all. I purchased my 50V500 in June 2005 from a reputable Ottawa dealer (Canada). Recently I've been seeing the dreaded "pink blob" in the middle, and also in the upper-left corner. Right now, it's not as bad as some of the photos posted here, and in fact the other family members haven't noticed it ... yet.

So by my read, if I scream at the right people (politely of course), I'll get a replacement LE and hopefully even labor costs.

My question is: what's the best way to start this process? It would appear going to the 1st-level Support people would be a waste of time, and I'll eventually have to go up the corporate ladder.
Or should I just go right to the top immediately and eliminate the middle-man?
Or maybe should I talk to the Service center at the dealer's (who I'm pretty sure are an authorized repair depot) and see if they already have a plan (which I suspect it highly unlikely)?

I'd love to get the same results as Tony above, but sometimes dealing with Canadian head offices can be more painful than in the US (and sometimes *less* painful). I just want to minimize the wastage of everybody's time.

Brad.

It was easy as pie for me. I called 1-800-HITACHI and dealt with them- never yelled, never went up the ladder. Once I paid for the inspection, they offered the new LE and I paid for installation. <$300 and my TV is perfect.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1764
­
At some point in the last two years it became obvious to everybody at HitachiUSA that there was a serious design flaw in their LEs. So it just became easier to get them to correct the problem. Some might argue that their fix should be totally free, but I think what they're doing is fair. After all, these red cloud TVs have mucho hours on them and are well beyond the clearly stated and industry standard 1 year warranty....

BTW, it seems that all the problems have been with the 50" models. I know there were a lot of 60V500s sold, but I don't recall hearing about a problem with those.
­

I can't disagree. I'd likely be happy enough with just the part, and even happier if they just send it to me so that I can explore the option of self-installing (I used to be a technician before shifting to the software biz). If I'm forced to haul the 50" to a repair depot, or may a fortune for one to come to me, I'll likely do it myself thanks to all the tips posted (and I downloaded a copy of the service manual).

Anyway, I started off with a detailed e-mail to customerservice@hitachi.ca, including links to this discussion and a similar one on avsforums.com, and indicated my expectations. I'm awaiting a response (which will probably be a bump up to CR).

I'll keep y'all informed.

Brad.

So of course the won't actually *do* anything via e-mail, and asked me to phone in. The guy answering the phone *of course* claimed to have never heard of the problem before, but once it became clear I wasn't going away that easily, told me to have an authorized service guy come out and give me an estimate (at my expense), and I was to FAX that and the original receipt to Customer Service with my file number, and they'd forward to head office.

With any luck, I'll have that done next week. I live out in the country so getting a guy to come out will take some doing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Adam - Do you have a picture of that pressure clip you're referring to? I am having the same problem, the lamp light flashes and the TV won't turn on. I've replaced the lamp and the ballast but it still does the same thing. I have the TV disassembled and I see the ribbon cable but I don't know what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

University Park, IL

William- Here is a pic of my broken pressure clip. Hopefully you can tell where this pic is if you've already done some digging around in this set yourself. It definetly sounds like you've just got something that isn't connected right. I'm also wondering if that ground on the back of the unit needs some special touch. It's possible I didn't put it back on with the same exact screw I suppose, maybe it's picky. :P

I don't think my lamp or ballast need replacing, I was pretty careful and slow when I took everything apart. I'm ordering the new LE tomorrow and should have it by tuesday or wednesday this week. That means at the latest I'll have some answers for everyone by wednesday night. (if i'm not too busy playing Wii on the new TV :D )Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Thanks for the pic Adam. It looks like my pressure clip is fine so it has to be something else. Good luck with the new LE! It's a great TV when it's working!

Username: Shelley_in_indiana

Greetings all,
I also had the red blob on my 50V500. Had the LE replaced in April 07, worked great for about 2 months. I hope this is not the harbinger of more things to come on this model, but thought I'd post in case others have similar experiences.

The red blob is now gone, however, now there are bright color outlines on the screen images. For example, someone's face, body, and surrounding environment is outlined in a full bright green. If there is no signal, the entire background is a pea green. Color anomaly is present on every input. It is really bad when there are scenes that are CGI, one can barely tell what the images on the screen are, they are just splashes of bright colors.

It happened infrequently when it first started, and it seemed like cycling power would more often than not make the outlines go away. However, the problem has grown progressively worse, and now the problem is present consistently and cycling power (and full pulling of plug for 2 min) has no effect. Sometimes instead of green, it does blue, but mostly green. There are also red outlines often, but never a red screen when the signal is pulled.

I will probably have someone out yet again to diagnose, but wondered if anyone else had experienced or heard of this issue?

Thanks much,
Shelley

I'd have the people who installed the new LE come out to look. If I didn't know better, that almost suspiciously sounds like something messed up in the install (bad connection somewhere, perhaps?).

I wouldn't wait too much longer. You're only four months after the install, and much longer and I can see less reputable service people trying to weasel out of possibly bad work.

Brad.

University Park, IL

When reinstalling the LE...

Does anyone know the best way to re-attach the ribbon cable? Both ends of it. I think that is my only problem. I get the problem as seen in the below pictures. Please help! I'm desparate!

Upload
Upload

Username: Pulque

My lamp recently went out and I purchased the

LAMP ONLY for $99.00!

from InternationalLight technologies. This did not include the cage, so I used mine. For my 50V500 tv, it was an Osram Lamp GTL-OS-69374.

My tv works again; I wanted to contribute so I hope this helps someone.

Their website http://www.intl-lighttech.com/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
ed, Thanks for the info. Any reason (other than cost) why you chose to just buy the lamp and not the cage? I am still on the original lamp, and bought a replacement...but when I install the replacement, the red lamp light flashes and will not recongnize the new assembly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Paul - Are you saying that you replaced the cage and everything and got the flashing lamp light or did you just replace the bulb? I replaced the bulb first and got the flashing light. I then paid a tech to come out and replace the cage and it worked for a few hours and then I had the same problem. I still have not resolved this issue.

Username: Fly0802

Is a lamp engine and an optical engine the same thing?

University Park, IL

It's called a Light Engine. The lamp is something separate.

I figured out how those pressure clips work to hold down the ribbon cable. If anyone is having problems with it let me know.

Also - my TV is now working perfectly. I'm installing some extra fans on the back of a custom TV stand I built for it. Once it's all done I'll post some video or pictures of it. or both.

Thanks again to everyone here.

-Adam

Username: Fly0802

When I search parts for "Lamp Engine" I get no results. But I do see a part listed as "optical engine" for around $1200. I'm wondering if this is the same thing.

I have two (yes two) 50V500's. I have the same red spot problem everyone is describing. I'm trying to figure out how much it's gonna cost to fix it and if it's even worth it. Does anyone know of any good sites I can check prices or should I just go with a repair service?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Fly: It is called a Light Engine (search the rest of this board and the archive for part # and sites to buy it...you can get refurb ones for less than $1200).

William: Yes, I replaced the lamp and its housing, and unless my original is in, I get the flashing red lamp light which then turns solid. I have yet to check the trip switch in the back to see if there is an issue. So far, my original lamp is going fine (well over 10K hours). Occasionnaly the set will flash all three lights on start up. After a few power on attempts, it will catch.

University Park, IL

Just thought I'd post a picture of the fan I installed earlier tonight. I want this new LE to stay in good condition!

Upload

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 13
Adam,

Nice work on the fan addition, i think it should be a mandatory refit for all us 50v owners. Did you pipe into any of the factory duct-work?

I personally HAD to add additional fans after three replacements. It seems after the red cloud goes away, you get a blue one. Well at least it's been my experience after three engine swaps.

I think it's all coming to an end in terms of replacement LE's for us all. The TV is practically a relic in terms of a manufacturers "duty cycle" so I'm doing all i can to keep it alive until i can find the next set that someone throws away :-)

On a consumers level though, just ask nicely and Hitachi will gladly help, Although the problem just doesn't seem to go away. But in defense of Hitachi i have been offered a credit towards a new set. So honestly considering all they did for me... I think i will actually BUY a new Hitachi.

The way i see it... It's always a toss up with high dollar new technology, but with a company like this that stands behind the flip, I'll gamble all day:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Paul - Thanks. Mine started the same way with the original lamp that also had over 10k hours on it. It would turn off but after a few attempts, I could turn it back on. It would eventually go off again though and now it won't come on at all, even after replacing the lamp, the cage and the ballast. I've checked all the switches and trips but can't figure out the problem. Let me know if you find a solution. I'm baffled.

University Park, IL

Justin- No, I didn't go in to any of the ductwork in there. Just a fan behind the light engine to help get additional heat out.

Here's some pics of the set on the stand I built for it. Upload
Upload

Username: Jerseyguy2

I joined this group so I could let eveyone know how I made out with my Hitachi situation. About 3 weeks ago I noticed that the color was "off" on my set so after yelling at the kids to stop playing with the settings (I have since appologized) I realized that there was a much bigger problem. There was a pinkish glow which was overwhelming the colors. I found this site the next morning and read every entry. I called Hitachi right away and with all the knowledge I had recently obtained I was able to have a possitive experience.
I arranged to bring my set to a repair shop and the shop owner agreed to diagnose the problem for Hitachi and replace the light engine (supplied by Hitachi) for a set ammount of $300. I brought it to him on thursday before labor day and he had the L/E on its way from Hitachi on friday. I had the shop replace the power supply while they were in there because I have had some problems with that as well ($50 bucks).
I would not have had these results without the knowledge gained from this site and all of you who have contributed. Thanks}}

University Park, IL

Post Number: 7
Hello all

The set started turning itself off and on tonight intermittently. Can't be a a heat issue as far as I can tell. It's well ventilated and has seen hotter days in my appartment than this.

Anyone else had this problem shortly following an LE change?

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Adam - See my post of 9/02. I'm having the same problem and haven't been able to figure it out yet. Let me know if you come up with anything and I'll do the same. I had the LE replaced about a year ago.

Username: Jerseyguy2

You see in my post just three above this that the power supply was replaced together with my L/E because that seems now to be another problem Hitachi is having. I guess my timing was better than those of you that had to replace their L/E's earlier. Good luck.

University Park, IL

Larry- You may be right about the power supply. However, your post simply says "..because i had some problems with that as well". So I can't just go on your word that it's the power supply causing the problems I am having. Could you describe the problems you were having? That could help a little.

At any rate, I unplugged the TV for about an hour, let it reset, and then plugged it back in. Haven't had any problems since then.

William- If mine starts acting up again I'll probably open it up and start poking around again. I'll try to update asap if anything comes up.

Username: Meagan1515

I was shopping for a big screen tv but dont wanna spend the money on a brand new one. I was directed to a little shop that refurbishes tv's and I came across a 53' Hitachi rear projection TV. It is a 2001, the guy fixed it up and did whatever it is a tv repair guy does and says it is as good as new (he did say he replaced something to do with the convergance,whatever that means). Truth be told it looks and seems to work great. He said that these tv's last forever and that he barely replaces the tubes on this kind of tv. I was hoping to get some feedback on if this is a good tv and a good deal. He is giving it to me for $400.....help me out guys...thanks

Username: Rich_bailey77

Is there a way to replace just the lens filter in the LE? I'm hoping since I don't have $1300 to blow every 2 1/2 years (how long I've had my Hitachi 42V715).

I got the yellow blob and looked in my LE and the blue filter is cooked. I attempted to clean but the burn goes all the way through the glass? of the filter to the other side.

Username: Rich_bailey77

I forgot to mention that in the 42V715 the lens filter just slides out the top. This small tinted peice of glass probably costs less than a buck to make. I'd pay for one or a set if anyone has good ones from a LE they've replaced.

Yesterday I got my 50V500A back from ye olde repair shoppe. Mine was just over two years old (1 year out of warranty). I got in touch with Hitachi Canada as soon as I was able to confirm I had clouds. I had to pay for a guy to come out and verify my observations and provide an estimate ($900 for the LE & $200 for the re & re & $170 for pickup & delivery).
Hitachi Canada covered the cost of the LE (supposedly the "re-engineered" version) and I had to pay the service/delivery.
All is well, but I'm slightly miffed that it seems the repair shop dod *no* calibration of any kind. The positioning was way off and I'm having a hell of a time getting the picture looking "just right" (dark scenes are too dark, but light scenes are too light).
Today I broke down and did a memory reset, and from there only had to make a small positioning tweak. Later I think I'll have to pay somebody (else) to come in and do a proper color calibration to see if I can smooth out the brightness variations (other than the clouds, it looked way better before the LE change).
I'll take the blame; I assumed that when replacing an LE, that a routine calibration would be part of the service cost. Shoulda asked. :-/

Anyway, I'm happy enough. I'm cloud-free & the picture is pretty good (after my tweaking). I figure by the next time I need major service, the cost of 50" LCD flat panels will be close to (or less than) the repair costs of this.

Brad.

Username: Jcatty27

I have read through these posts and everyone is talking a/b the red blob.
I turned mine on yesterday and it looks like the screen has a red tint...The pic is still clear and there is no double vision. It just looks dingy and non vibrant. When i switch to a different input, on the top right where it tells you what input you are on, its white for a half second then the lettering turns red.
I took it to a repair shop and they told me that its either the LE or Corrupt software...does anyone have any suggestions? Im thinking that its not the LE b/c i would have a huge red blob like everyone else...thanks for any help.

Username: Bob_f

Well, thanks to all of you, it worked. I called Hitachi CR, stood my ground, asked to speak to a supervisor, and even with being out of warranty, Hitachi sent a LE and after some coaxing, paid for the entire repair! I had to pay for a $50 evaluation, that was it.

Hitachi, you just earned my business!!

Username: Mojopinner

This is a message for Paul - who left a comment about a year ago (gasp) ... blinking Lamp light. I had the same problem, called Hitachi and they told me to replace the lamp. It may be necessary, but probably not. The fix is probably as simple as making sure the switch which the lamp door pushes is actually being pushed in all the way. If you were to take off the lamp door, there is a slot in the upper left hand side which corresponds to a 1/2" piece of plastic on the door itself that pushes the metal switch inside.

In my case, I took a pencil and pushed the lever ALL the way, held it there and had someone plug the TV in. Sure enough, that was the fix. I then had to make a little rig by way of a bobby pin that made it possible for the switch to be depressed all the way when the door was closed.

Anyway, I'm sure you've already taken care of the problem, but if not or if anyone else in the future has the "blinking red lamp light" problem, try this before buying a new lamp.

Username: Chasm

Cincinnati, OH

Jonathun, I just had to fix the problem you describe on my 50V500. What you need to do is get into the service menu and do a "Memory Init".

To do this, you must first set your TV to an un-used input, then turn the TV off. Your set has to stay off for at least 2 minutes. Then, push and hold the "Input" button on the front of the set, push the power button on the front of the set, and immediately release both buttons. This should get you into the service menu. IF you hold the "Input" button too long, it will exit the menu. If you haven't waited with it off for 2 minutes, you can't get the next steps to work:

Once you're in the Service Menu, you use the remote to navigate the menus. Push "Menu" to get to a second page of options. Use the joystick button to cycle down to the field "Init Memory" (or was that "Memory Init"?). Push the joystick button to the right and hold it there for a few seconds- until the check box is checked. At this point the pink hue should go away. From here, you can exit out and go back to watching TV.

I know that I also did a "Factory Reset" first on the first page of the Service Menu, but I don't think it's neccessary.

PS- make a note of your lamp hours. They will be reset.

Chas

Username: Bengray

Gulf Breeze, Florida

I joined the group to say thanks for guiding me through the red cloud maze. Before finding this forum, I had received an estimate from my local TV repair shop of $900 - $1000 for replacement of the light engine. After reading the posts here, I called Hitachi and they agreed to supply the part for free. The labor, diagnosis, and pickup/delivery charges will still cost me around $450, but thats a lot better than a grand!

Also, I'm very impressed with Hitachi's support organizations. Everyone I dealt with was responsive and courteous. They even spoke american english that I could understand. In short, I'll probably buy another Hitachi, based on this experience.
Cheers!
Ben Gray

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Ken,
Thanks for your post. I actually had this happen: On the original lamp (well over 10,000 hrs and still going), I occasionally get the three light blink sequence (blue, red, red). Usually, it kicks on, but sometimes, I get a solid red.

When this happened a while back, I bought a new lamp. When I try this lamp, I get a solid red light only. When I put the original back, it will start up ok. Both lamp housings are exactly the same size, which leads me to believe it is not the switch trigger problem. I have not tried the replacement lamp again in a while, but I am living on borrowed time.

thanks

Username: Philip_peake

Question: The "evaluation" that Hitachi is requiring -- what are thry looking for? I have the dreaded pink blob, its only really visible in dark scenes or when there is no signal, than its quite plainly visible.

Are they looking to see that its as bad as some of the pictures in this thread? or is it just to verify that there really is some issue?

Also - if I end up having to replace the LE myself, are the re manufactured units actually improved in any way, or just the old ones with new filters/LCDs?

Username: Mikey48

Port Orchard, WA

I had the dreaded pink blob and decided to do it myself or just go get a new TV. With the help of this formum and the manual I did the replacement my self. It was not difficult but I was a little nervous. Lots of plug-in connectors, but they will only plug in were they belong. Took me about 3 hours. Wow I forgot how great the picture is. Hope this fix will last a few years. The LE I bought was a rebuilt and had the new mods with a lot of new ventilation, cost about $500 after shipping costs. Bought from Tritronics.

Username: Macdarwin

Hi guys finally....My TV took a bite.
I've had a red blob in the middle of the TV for 5 months and didnt bother to get it repair since it doesnt bother me watching it until now....
seems like that red blob spread across the whole screen and it showing the whole picture Pink.

Called the hitachi for the first time and told him everything and i was told to call the Tech guy to see whats wrong with the TV and Just Called them Back...

now do you think i have a chance to get a Free L.E. on this one? I'm not really a good talker so i'm not sure what to say...

Thanks.

Username: Bengray

Gulf Breeze, Florida

Hi Darwin,
I got my TV back today after Hitachi gave me a new light engine and the local authorized service center installed it. I paid a total of $400 for pickup/delivery, problem analysis, and the installation of the new light engine.

I'm not a slick talker either, and I don't think you need to be one to get Hitachi's help with this problem. I just called the 1800hitachi number
and they gave me the local authorized service center number, and the Customer Relations number.
They said that if it got diagnosed as the LE, Hitachi would probably supply one for free.
So, I called the service center, they diagnosed the problem as the LE, I called Customer Relations and asked for help, and they said OK, we'll supply the LE if you'll pay the labor.
I said OK, and that's that.

The picture is beautiful again, and the lamp fan is much quieter. I'm completely satisfied with Hitachi on this issue, and will consider them for my next big-screen TV.

Good Luck,

Ben

Username: Macdarwin

thanks for the respond ben.

After the tech guy look at my TV and said that it needs a new L.E. i called the Hitachi and they will send the new L.E. to the shop for free except the labor in my expenses of course...Shop will charge me for $365 for everything including pick/drop off..

thanks to all of you here for a good thread..

without this thread i have no idea what will i do with this T.V.

Username: Mojopinner

Hey Paul,

Ahh, I see. Yeah you're right, not the same problem. Does anyone have experience with the problem I'm having? The lamp light blinks at me and I DEFINITELY have both switches being activated. It was working last night just fine and then today, nothing. Just the blinking light. The lamp was replaced no less than a month ago...don't get it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Ken - See my previous posts in September. I have the same problem. I replaced the lamp and it played for a while then I got the blinking red light. I had a tech come out and he replaced the cage and lamp with OEM. It played for a day and then stopped. I replaced the ballast and it didn't help. Someone referred to replacing the power supply but I can't find a part by that name in the service manual and don't have a part number. Let me know if you have any luck resolving this issue. I am about out of patience.

Called Hitachi - they gave me the phone number of an authorized repair center. The nearest one is quite a distance away.

Called the repair guy. With travel, call charge and work, it comes to about the same as a reconditioned LE. Considered doing it myself, then thought that since it looks a little bit time consuming, I may as well pay the sme amount and have someone else do it - someone who has already done a few of these.

He called today to check - walked in and said "yep. that needs a new LE". Of course, no-one to talk to at Hitachi today, so he will call on Monday. So far, so good. Relatively painless.

Username: Tjsburb2

CAPE CORAL, FL United States

After printing out the 46 pages of postings I found out that I am not alone on my blue 50V500. I read them all, and will be calling HIT. tomorrow. Took advice of many comments posted and will see where I get. I hope I don't have to talk till I'm BLUE in the face with HIT. no pun intended as many of the early postings had to do. Sounds like HIT is stepping up to the plate. Will post any response from HIT. Thanks to everyone before me. Tim

Username: Rayp

Paul, any luck with your lamp replacement? I'm having exactly the same problem. I bought a replacement lamp off ebay because I didnt want to pay $380.

When I try installing it I get the flashing red light (indicating the lamp unit is not installed)

I put the original one back in and although it still doesnt work, the TV starts up and I get a buzzing sound.

Did you try taking the bulb out of the new one and putting it in the original housing?

Username: Omucubani

After 3 years and a half, I finally got the pink blob AND a blue hue.

Called Hitachi, told them that I need a new LE. The guy tells me that I still have to get a certified tech to come and diagnose the problem.

I didn't argue, called the tech, $ 35 to move his butt here and $ 50 for a diagnostic that I already know...

Hitachi will send the part for free however and I do have the service manual. Can't wait to gut it off

I bought the TV from Circuit $!#%%@ as a floor demo with 1300 hours on it. Last I checked I had some 8000 hours of Elmo and other cartoons being played, so I guess it's not too bad ( the salesman told me not to expect the lamp to last more than 2000 hours ). Some salesman he was...

Tomorrow the tech is going to rip me off $ 85 to tell me what I already know. He also told me over the phone that it will cost me $ 225 for a minor repair or $ 350 for a major repair. What's a minor repair ? Taking a screw off the back plate ?

Englebert: Replacing the light engine is far from a minor repair.

The light engine is like the windshield wiper motor in a car, they start with that and build everything around it.

The service manual gives you the highlights of getting to the light engine, but misses a few vital screws and connectors. You can't hope to just follow the steps in the manual.

I looked at the task and decided that it wasn't worth $400 of my time to play those games. I watched the guy do the exchange. He had done MNAY of these, had made all the mistakes and learned from them. Even knowing exactly what he was doing, and not having to label anything it took him several hours.

When he finally lifted the light engine out, there was quite literally just a stump left where my TV used to be - four legs and not much else.

If I didn't have the money I would probably attempt it myself, but it would likely take almost a full day the first time through.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us