Basic question that could get a bit hairy. Trying to maximize my equipment

Username: Soundspawn

Post Number: 1
I have a subscription to dish network, and would like to test some premium/ppv channels. Here's my setup currently:

One dish, a... dual...LNB(?) It's one housing with two little LNB heads (or whatnot, the semi-transparent disks). Each LNB has it's own coaxial output, and currently only one of the LNBs is connected to my system. On my receiver it says it's connected to two satellites. If anyone needs more info on the LNBs, I don't know what I'm looking for right now, but I can try to clarify. Anyway, from the one connected LNB the line runs to a 2 way splitter. One line of this splitter runs directly into a television. The other line goes into the living room, hits a pair of 2 way splitters and connects to my DVRs input and both outputs.

Now, my question is, could I run a cable from what appears to be an unused LNB (which I'm guessing is already alligned with the DN satellites) into, lets say, a Pansat 2700a, and watch premium channels just like that? Or is there more to it? Do I have other viable options to get a premium/ppv feed?

Right now my dual tuner DVR is (obviously) giving me two channels. With the above mentioned setup, would I get a thrid channel? Would this third channel be able to tune into premium/ppv's?

Any help/insight would be greatly appriciated.

Bronze Member
Username: John_mcdon2

Post Number: 18
1st stick sem come in my ss and then i will help you

Gold Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 2312
Ross - Go to this thread and it will give you an idea of what is you have and how to do what you want to do.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/325574.html

Bronze Member
Username: John_mcdon2

Post Number: 19
NOOO you must 1st stick sem come in my ss and then i will help

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the link, I tried reading through that guide and got turned around, not too familiar with the terminology just yet...

- Dish Pro Plus LNB signal can be split when using DN Dual Tuners.

- You CANNOT split the signal with a regular Dish Pro Twin or Quad LNB.

I take it these points come to mean I have a Pro Plus LNB? If so, then back to my original question. Can I use one of my Pro Plus LNBs to power my current two room setup, and the currently unused Pro Plus LNB to power another receiver for premium/ppv? I don't mean to be brushing off your link, but I keep getting turned around reading it... the topic seems to be focusing more on the use of switches, but I'm looking at an unused LNB thinking "why would I need a switch?"

Can someone tell me what to do instead of making me think for myself? ;)

Post Number: 3
Sorry for double post, but I have a small update...

First, my setup was slightly incorrect. The line that connects to my DVR splits into three lines as I said before, but it's two inputs and one coaxial output. The main TV gets it's signal from RCA plugs. Small alteration there.

The other thing I noticed is pictures of dishpro plus LNBs. In all the pictures I've seen they have three coaxial plugs, two coming off the left LNB and one coming off the right... Example: http://www.satelliteone.com/dish/store/accessories/dpptwin.html
I haven't had a chance to climb on the roof and try to find out if this is my case as well, but based on dish's "installation options" I must have a dishpro plus LNB to be able to receive two different channels from one LNB "Port", so I figure for now that's what I have.

Now, this simplifies things a bit for me, in theory I could run a new coaxial from the unused "Port 2" directly into a Pansat 2700a and test some channels, correct? Any known issues with doing a configuration such as that while being an active subscriber, or should I be good to go? Or should I take a step back and think about installing a switch before the line makes it to my DVR?

Any help/insight welcome.

Silver Member
Username: Pffft

Ya Right

Post Number: 187
think of his post this was part of what he wanted you to read
C/P
- Power requirement for the Dish Pro Plus is higher then the regular Dish Pro which creates the necessity to either keep a DN Receiver connected to port #1 of the LNB or to use a Power Insert.

Silver Member
Username: Pffft

Ya Right

Post Number: 188
- Dish Pro Plus has a built in 3 way switch and one input which allows you to receive signal from two different satellites with the main LNB and add a third satellite by installing a variety of LNB/Dish combination.

- Dish Pro Plus LNB signal can be split when using DN Dual Tuners.

- You CANNOT split the signal with a regular Dish Pro Twin or Quad LNB.

Post Number: 4
MrPig, I'm confused by that last part... "You cannot split the signal with a regular Dish Pro Twin"... There must be either a difference between "Dish Pro Twin" and "Dish Pro Plus Twin", or I'm misreading that, as currently I have a dual tuner coming off one port of my LNB, by my reasoning that would be a split signal...

The power requirement from you post right before... I intend to keep a DN receiver connected to port #1, so I should be good there.

I want to use port #2 and run direct into a Pansat 2700a (if possible). Because I'm completely new to all the Sat technology/terminology I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but in theory it seems like that should do the trick. Am I mistaken? Can I keep port 1 on an official DN receiver (which has a seperator and dual tuner) and use port 2 direct into a FTA receiver? I know port 2 is currently unused, as I jumped on the roof today to confirm that much... Just want the two "main" DN satellites on my FTA, so the dish itself is already pointed right where I want it.

Thanks for the insight so far, hoping you can bring me home ;)

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 8203
Not sure if this will help...

Upload

Post Number: 5
hm... Take away the Dish Pro LNB on the right, change the legacy 4700 into a dual tuner DVR (with appropriate splitters/seperators) and then you have exactly what I'm wanting to do.

Now to say it just one more time, if you take what I just said, but unplug port 2, you have my current setup, and it works, nothing's in theory there. So the simple question (hopefully deserving a simple answer as well) is if I take your picture, and modify it as stated above, will that work, or will I need more hardware?

Post Number: 6
Here's a diagram to explain what I'm saying...
http://www.soundspawn.com/pics/sat_setup.gif

At this time, the pansat is on it's way here, so only the blue applies. At this point I'm fairly certain the shown setup will work, but am still open to any suggestions.

Hopefully this diagram will help others in the future.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us