Stuck or dead pixels. How common is this?

Username: Dirtyddd

Post Number: 1
was wanting to buy a 50 inch panasonic plasma and was wondering how often people find dead or stuck pixels? Also if its good out of the box can the pixels die at any time?

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 96
Very common on LCDs. Uncommon on a Panasonic Plasma.

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 493
Shawn
If you are talking about pixel freeze. This has nothing to do with TV brands . Usually due to poor reception, digital corruption, i.e. receivers with hard drives known as digital drop-out or momenterly bad recption.

But if you are refering to segment drops very uncommon to either LCD or Plasma a lot of them covered under warranty. I certainly got 2 Panasonic 42" plasma. I love them.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 97
Actually, King is not correct. Both the technology and brand are directly related to the rate/occurrence of dead and stuck pixels. This is a quality assurance issue. Some companies simply pull products that have these issues and so they are rarely seen.

LCds get these with great frequency and can occur moreso over time as the panel isused.

Plasmas dont get dead or stuck pixels unless they were originally present at the time of initial use.

Pioneer has more than Panasonic and has a more restrictive return policy. I can give the exact policies if needed. The statistics on rate of dead pixels per brand has been followed over time and is posted on other forums. An old hat issue.

Post Number: 2
Marc Sherman: I would like it if you could give me policy for panasonic. On the phone they told me if there is just one bad pixel they will fix or replace

Silver Member

Post Number: 499
- So how come I don't get this issue when I plug to G-5 Mac?
- And how come it happens more often on Tivo/DVR?
- Do you think decoding MPEG-4 has something to do with it?
- Do you think FEC (forward error correction) has something to do with it?
- Is it a quad or 8 FEC?
- Maybe I forgot to mention something about HD antenna tuner!!!
- What is decoding got to do with either display?

- Man I think I should stop misinforming people period.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 100
King- why yes, that would be a good idea.

Shawn- Panasonic as a manufacturer is more liberal in their return policy than other manufacturers. They are more likely to take back a new plasma with dead or stuck pixels than competition.

However, your vendor policy ( where you buy from) is also critical. Some vendors do just exactly what you are saying. If one dead pixel is present, they will take the return.

The best policy, but not the best source of Plasmas, is Costco. They have a 100% guranteed return policy no questions asked, so you are absolutely covered.

So check your vendor as well as the manufacturer. Panasonic is a good bet as a manufacturer as far as returns. They support their prodiucts without much fuss.

Silver Member

Post Number: 504
I think I will hang around
Maybe I'll learn something new from Marc
Thank you for your patience with me I really appreciate it.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 101
Joy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 515
How old are you Mark

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 103
Shawn- if you have any other questions- just let me know. Always happy to share/discuss plasmas.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Mark
My other question is about burn in is it true that after being careful for the first 100 hours then its not an issue? Also is viewing regular tv on a plasma going to give you a worse picture then my old crt tube tv?

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 106
1. Burn In- I desribe this as " The Great Residential Myth". I have seen burn in on plasmas in only three places: Airports with somewhat static 24/7 schedules on their screens ( same with Bus stations); LAs Vegas in the bokking/Game /Sports Betting areas with 24/7 static screens/ CNN tower in toronto Canada-- also with 24/7 screens. Using a plasma normally will never lead to burn in. It is possible to have after image retention, which is temporary. I do note that some folks that have a continuous logo from a cable company on a screen have gottm after image retention. Usually by using a wobbler feature ( built into many plasmas) or by reversing the image ( the white wash trick)--any uneven phosphor wear can be elimiated). You are correct that the first 100 hours of use or so is key. Try to avoid black bars over this time period. My plasma is 4 years old and I have zero burn in and no instances of after image retention and have left my plasma on all night by mistake on several occasions. LCDs get uneven appearances due to back lighting problems quite commonly over time- there have been improvements over time but mags that say that plasma has burn in and LCD doesnt really are misleading.

2. ON the second question- its not about CRT vs plasma; its about resolution differences. A CRT is an analog TV USUALLY ( but not always) and often has a lower resolution than a hi def Plasma. So a regular standard TV broadcast must be upscaled to fit the pixels on a hi definition plasma, so a STanard TV signal could look worse on a plasma. Again, its not the technology as much as the resolution differences. An ED plasma, with lower resolution, actually displays a standard TV signal better than a hi def plasma with more pixels becuase there is less upscaling involved to fit a lesser number of pixels. I personally use a plasma only for Home Theater and with stanard DVDs only so the image I get is much better than all of my CRT televisions.

I hope this helps.

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 107
Also, be sure to calibrate your display using digital video essentials ( difficult to navigate but excellent) or AVIA. There are set up discks to get color etc correct. This will cuase you to turn down the picture brightness control from factory settings and will increase te phosphor lifespan of your plasma greatly.

Post Number: 4
I was at the store today and they had a standard tv signal going into the plasma and the picture was really bad. Mybe becausse of splitters? I would want a new tv for all uses. Would you consider your plasma horrible for picture quality when it comes to regular tv watching? Also after your break in period do you use 4:3 ratio for reg tv viewing with the bars on the side and if so are you worried even after the breakin period there will be burn in? Also if you stretch it does it look crappy and distorted? Thanks again

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 110
In store signal isnt very good for Displays in general, except if its a hard drive or DVD feed. I only watch DVDs on my plasma so no regular TV. Regular non hi def TV can look fine, particularly if the display upscales well. ED Plasmas will do better than HD plasmas with standard TV signals. Its about resolution, not technology.

I don't watch 4;3 content but do watch DVDs with black bars on top and bottom and have no burn in or after image retention.

CRTs are quickly disappearing. Expensive to produce and environmentaly unfreindly. However, the Hi Def digital ones at the end there produced excellent pictures.

Silver Member

Post Number: 534
Do you have problems between regular SD and HD from cable
Start with few basics and FAQs

- Is splitter good or bad for HD.
Ans (no problem at all) cable does not use high frequency like Satellites
- Can I use regular coax cable?
ans. Try Not to! King highly recommends quad shield RG-6 with good crimps
- I'm using great RG-6 in my house but signal is bad.
Try to install an in line booster preamp. Cable companies know about it and it is their job to do it not you. But if you got free cable just buy the booster about $12. Or moisture from rain got to the crimps (outside your house)
- I get great HD reception but poor SD
Ans. bad set-up. EACH BROADCAST MAY OR NOT BE SAME pixel frame size so you must switch back and forth to each system.

SET THE AUTO wizard (read your manual)

In receiver or tuner set advanced setup to enable
* 480 standard
* 480i
* 480p
* 720i
* 720p
* 1080i
followed by the wizard for auto switching
If one of these not enabled will cause poor quality on LCD/Plasma/or DLP

Your receiver or tuner will detect broadcast aspect ratio but is up to you to set it for auto switch including auto stretching 4:3 and keeping 16:9 so you don't have to mess with that either

If this doesn't fix all HD/SD problems
- Ask King first

IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN RUN BOTH SATELITE AND CABLE or antenna with one Coax cable.
yes yes yes
got to "King's Corner" Post# 175 by King Tapeman
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/322149.html

Post Number: 5
Marc I have another question. Im in Canada and i went to the store to look at the th-50px60 and i can get it for $2650 and $250 for 5 years (they say i can get a replacement for one year with 48 hours notice) of extended warranty. I went to costco and the same tv (just the US model) was about the same at $2679 with no extended warranty as an option. I used to work there and i was talking to a freind who works there and he says i should buy from Costco because if there is ANYTHING wrong with the tv within a year i can return it for a full refund no questions asked. So do i spend the $250 for 5 years on the warranty or go with Costco and have worry free for one year (and actually hope it does screw up within a year) and get a full refund? Any thoughts?

Silver Member

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 111
If its the same display. Costco is better. here in the US its a lifetime no questions asked return policy. With plasmas, usually something goes wrong very early if at all. If your plasma is doing well after a full year of use, you should be OK.

Costco return policy is a really nice thing. There isn't anything like it really.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us