Going to buy RPTV at BB... suggestions?

Username: Gnnr

Saddle Brook, NJ USA

Post Number: 2
3K or less (preferably much less, but I don't want crap). Good bulb life, no rainbow or lag in games (lappy or xbox), DVI/HMDI inputs preferred, 42 - 55", black preferred but silver is okay I guess (current TV is silver), HD tuner built in not neccessary but bonus, and it should look as good as possible with SD signals.

NJ location, cablevision digital cable, will be getting HD package with DVR when I get the TV. Watch a ton of movies, big DVD collection in widescreen, will be getting new DVD player with DVI or HMDI at BB as well.

Looking at the HL-P5063W Samsung, the 50" Wega LCD RPTV, the JVC HD52Z575 D-ILA TV, and a few others.

Will BB pricematch an online vendor like LCDTVs.com? BB has a killer 3 yrs finance deal and even 200 bucks off the Samsung right now so if they price match it gets to be real cheap.

Also, which suffers burn in - LCos, Dila, LCD, or DLP? Which has the best lifespan before needing major service (bulbs or what not)?

Are the component cables by Acoustic Research at BB any good... I know the Monsters are overpriced and over valued but I also know you need decent cables for the best image quality.

Finally, is the Harmony remote worth it? I have a Yamaha 7.1 digital home theater setup with a second set of JBL concert series speakers, a new progressive DVD I will pick up to replace my flaky Aiwa zone free unit, a cablevision/IO digital cable DVR box (component ans S-Video only). I want to make it as easy for the wife to use as possible and the Kameleon we have is more of a pain than anything else... looks nice but doesn 't hold programming well and eats batteries, plus it runs out of memory for all the theater programming I want to do.

Saddle Brook, NJ USA

Post Number: 3
PS:

JR, which is brick and mortar, has the tv for 2399 right now, the Samsung P5063W - http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=6412&stk_code=samhlp5063w&svbname=443

These are local stores in the NYC/NJ area so I would think that they would have to price match them at least?

Anonymous

"Going to buy RPTV at BB... suggestions?"

yes. Don't!!

Don't buy something like this at best buy unless there's some overwhelming reason such as a much better price than anyone else, which rarely if ever happens.

Saddle Brook, NJ USA

Post Number: 5
I take it you didn't read the above at all, right?

Great financing, discounts, price matching... same price as all but the very cheapest (and most questionable) online stores. Um, hello?

Klaus
Unregistered guest
Patrick:
My suggestion would be to locate a store with the HLP 4674 or 5674. These have seemed to be much more reliable than the 5063 series.

Anonymous

Pricematched Electronics-Expo price (local stores in NJ) with CC last week for Sony KDF55WF655 - 600 below CC price. Try it out at BB as well.

igy
Unregistered guest
What does the RP in RPTV stand for?

Saddle Brook, NJ USA

Post Number: 9
Hmmm... just got back. They won't price match anything but the big or national chains... not even J&R which is a HUGE store and online presence.

First thing I discovered is that anything bigger than a 46" is too big for my space. A 46" is nice, but the one I like doesn't have a pedestal base, just a flat wide cabinet; it will look funny on my current nice wood stand that wifey insists we use/keep (was pricey and it is very nice).

LCD sucks. Looked at the sony 42 and 50 WEGAs and they have soft images and bad color, even when you play with the color. They do have great angle of view both horizontally and vertically, and the Sony's have the best remote and menu system of the four brands I checked out.

Mitsu DLP... the big 50 unit looked nice. Not as nice as the Samsung DLP, but nearly so. The smaller unit is a big cabinet asembly and looked awful. Decent remote and menus, good features.

The JVC DILA was not impressive. Blacks were black, but colors were over saturated and the field of view was worse than DLP seemingly. No rainbowing or anything, but it was TERRIBLE with high motion scenes... lots of lag and what have you. It was brighter than the Samsung DLP though. Awful on screen menu orginization, decent remote.

I looked, very briefly, at a Zenith LCD 44" RPTV. Very grainy (the Sony wasn't grainy from a few feet away, only up close) and just awful motion compensation in high action scenes. Surprisingly, DVDs looked best on the Zenith unit, but SD and even HD was just too grained out with the bad screen door effect. The colors were washed out and the blacks were really shades of grey.

Finally I looked at the 55 and 46" DLP Sammys. Great colors, though it had a very soft look to the image, great blacks. Kind of dim image on both units compared to the JVC DILA and the Sony LCD. Field of view was surprisingly narrow in my opinion, especially vertically but even off axis by more than 40 degrees it really started to fade out noticeably. No image lag in high motion scenes. DVDs were fine, OTA HD was good, HD was good. Neither had a SD feed available unfortunately so no comment there but I asume it's close to the others either way so okay (Better than most here would give them).

My problem with the Sammy's though, besides the limited price matching that BB will do and the shockingly narrow field of view, is the wide cabinet base with no kind of narrower pedistal base like the Sony or Zenith units in the sub 50" size... will look like as5 on my existing cabinet.

So, I am in a quandry... I really want HD (especially after spending an hour watching different OTA and DirectTV feeds!!!) and better DVD quality than my current 35" Toshiba SD Monitor FST (it has all kinds of pixellation and artifacting, and of course it's out of warranty and needs image adjustment that can only be done by a tech).

Unless I can figure a way to get BB to come down on price from the 2399 mark I don't think I am interested... too expensive for what it is I think, especially since I need to get a PSP to cover bulbs and what have you, cables, and a new DVD player. It's weird... J&R is definately a big local competitor and they won't match against their price.

Informed DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
To hell with brick & morter, price matching, and LCD/LCOS anything. Buncha BS! I don't know what you're looking at, but my Sammy DLP doesn't lose anything at an 80 degree angle as long as my eyes are lined up with it. No rainbows either. Pull the trigger on this one and have no regrets! The picture quality is unmatched by anything, but the more expensive front projector DLP sets costing tens of thousands.

[link removed]

Also, read about LCD vs DLP at this link. On page three under "Table of Contents" click on "Our Interpretation... link. In the text look for a link that says "related whitepaper". Learn what DMD is all about!(requires Acrobat Reader) Then, make an intelligent decision based on fact. Get the extended warranty no matter what you choose.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2C1558%2C1049289%2C00.asp?kc=ETNKT0209KTX1 K0100361

Bronze Member

Saddle Brook, NJ USA

Post Number: 11
The TV you linked was 400+ more than BB is... sorry.

And I know about LCD VS DLP VS LCoS, et all. The DLP image was much better than the best of the projection LCDs I saw, no arguments... except for angle of view and brightness. Even the crappy Zenith 44" LCD RPTV had better brightness and field of view than the much more expensive DLP units.

Informed DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
Better check the angle and brightness again. Then, pull the trigger on that BB set. That's one sweet price for a DLP with 2000 to 1 contrast ratio and a 100k+ hour life. I'd center it up on my stand in a heartbeat. It won't look as bad as you think. Then, pop the corn, sit back, and enjoy!

Bronze Member

Saddle Brook, NJ USA

Post Number: 13
Alright, done deal, 46" dlp to be delivered Saturday. Got it for 1949 plus their rewards program (about 100 bucks, not bad), got a Toshiba upscale progressive with HMDI DVD player, the PSP for 100 bucks off on the TV (it covers bulbs for 4 years), bunch of AR cables, delivery and setup for 26 out the door counting tax. About 150 cheaper than I figured on.

The sales guy tried the no matching deal but I told him I called corporate today and that they had a ticket in with their customer service division and to call them if there was a problem and they immediately matched it without even check if the guys they were matching had it in stock... nice. Boy do they push those monster cables and PSPs, hehe.

Anonymous

BEST BUY sells SERVICE CONTRACTS and Monster Cable, the rest is a side gig

Bronze Member

Saddle Brook, NJ USA

Post Number: 15
Yep... no argument there. But the PSP on big ticket items like this, if you figure you have two 200+ bulbs to replace over the 4 year contract, is worth it. I hate monster cable... over priced as heck and overhyped too.

Informed DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
You beat them severely..you dog! Congrats! Don't drule too much on the carpet. Keep a mop handy...the water scenes are pretty wet.

Informed DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
You're "done deal" was on an HLP4663, according to another post of yours, not on the twice recommended 4674. No wonder my provided link was $400+ more. Here is a link to the best price available on the model you went with.

http://www.bestbuypcs.com/store/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=&rnd=&pg=store&sub_pg=pro d&ref=1825&ovchn=PGR&ovcpn=Pricegrabber&ovcrn=HLP4663&ovtac=PPC

Bronze Member

Saddle Brook, NJ USA

Post Number: 18
Not sure why you posted this in both threads... to quote a famous movie, 'what's your problem bud?'

--------

Sure, if I wanted to pay 400 shipping for questionable handling with no support or service after the sale if there is a problem except with their contracted support plan of the day over the phone. I paid 200 bucks more than that but got delivery for 45 bucks from a local warehouse, free setup, a 4 year service plan (which would work out to only about 20 bucks more a year with a KNOWN ENTITY and a place I can walk into if nothing else). If you toss in their shipping for 400 bucks I am coming out cheaper and with a more credible store that isn't based out of someone's home (from the look of that unprofessional and uninspiring website).

And this is all besides the fact that I was shopping for a HLP4663 and not the newer and still overpriced/expensive 4674 unit. I am more than please with the IQ and capabilities of the unit I have purchased.

Informed DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
Misunderstood me dude. I don't mean for you to consider a purchase at either link. (I saw that you wanted a BB set) The info was for specs on the unit and price comparison. You're first posts have you considering a 5063. Klaus advised that you, instead, consider the 74 series, which are more reliable and have a higher contrast ratio. I happened to agree with him, thus the provided link. We showed you an apple and you "done dealed" an orange. That's ok, though. You saved money with the HD3 chip third generation light engine vs the HD2+ mustang chip fourth gen light engine on the 74's. You may have a few color wheel replacements with either, no big deal. You may get the 3 lights of death with that model. No big deal either. A new Phillips lamp will solve it. You may get a screen smudge issue. They have screen kits. The HD3 is a kick-as5 picture. Very good price too. Enjoy!

Informed DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
One more thing:

1-800 Samsung will replace every failed lamp for 1 year. PSP may not replace any. It may be considered a "consumable" unless their policy has changed. (I doubt it has.) Check it out at the warranty number, not the salesman.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us