Any reason to hook DVD video into receiver?

SolarEclipse
I just got the Onkyo HT-S767C system and I'm hooking it up right now to my Philips 55PP9352 with the cables Onkyo supplied. I have intentions of getting component video cables. Is there any reason to hook the DVD video out into the receiver, or can I just go straight into the TV? I don't want to buy two pricey component video cables if I don't need them.

Also, what are good cables to buy? Are Monster cables really worth the money, or are there less expensive counterparts?

New HT guy
Go straight to the TV with the dvd..Get good component cables, monster are good but overpriced..IXOS are reasonably priced...Then i ran a Tosslink cable from the dvd to receiver

SolarEclipse
Thanks. I didn't think there'd be any advantage to adding an interconnect that I didn't really need.

Also, thanks for answering my cable question before I found the Accessories forum. :)

Anonymous
The only advantage you have by hooking up the dvd player to the receiver is you are letting the receiver do the video switching. Not sure if that's important to you. It wasn't to me so I went direct to tv route myself.

The only reason to do it would be convenience--but connecting via component video to the receiver and then back to the TV doesn't address this--you'll still have to change TV inputs for other sources. (Unless your receiver can switch component video AND your other sources output component video. Which I seriously doubt.)

In order for your receiver to be a true traffic cop, all the sources need to be on the same standard. (A few receivers will convert from one to another, but they're rare and expensive. At least they are right now.) For example, if you go with S-video for everything (DVD player, cable/sat box, game station, VCR, etc), then your receiver can do all the switching and you'll never have to touch the TV--just set the input to S-video and forget it. But as soon as you throw another type of connection into the picture (either component or composite), it won't work as a switching device.

My advice: Go entirely with S-video if you want convenience and ease of operation. Otherwise, if you use component video, go straight from the DVD player to the TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us