Question on hooking up a DVD player to Home Theater

miketike
I just purchased a Sony HT-DDW840. Given the receiver has no S-Video inputs, I'd like to go straight from DVD to TV via S-video and just use the reciever for the sound (which I will hook up thru the optical audio input) Will this work or do I have to have audio & video flowing thru the receiver?

Anonymous
as long as your receiver has dd, or dts it should be fine. I have my setup with the dvd to the tv direct with componet cables and dvd to receiver via optical cable and have no problems.

just to back up Mr Anonymous,Yea No Probs!Will work a treat!

I have a JVC DVD and JVC Dolby DTS receiver. I have the same hookup as mentioned above ( s-jack from dvd to tv & optical from dvd to receiver.) Up to this point I have never noticed the DTS indicator light up. All good until I bought E.T. the re-release and there is a specific selection of Dolby DTS. When I select it, I get no sound at all. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be great.

clown vomit
you either don't have bitstream enabled on your DVD player .. or the correct input "optical audio" is not selected on your receiver.

I just purchased a new receiver (digital) for my home theater system and am having trouble hooking everything up. I also have satellite, dvd, vcr, cable and computer hooked up. I need advice on what to plug into what or a site where they give you basics on hooking up all components. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gracita
Jean: try this site

http://www.shaw.ca/products_services/digitalcable/pdf/wiring_guide.pdf

Jean: The first thing to decide is whether or not the receiver will handle all the video switching as well. Given your setup, I see no reason NOT to do this--it will ultimately make things much easier. I'm making the assumption that your receiver has S-video inputs but does NOT have component video inputs (three RCA jacks-R, G, B).

Here's a really basic explanation, component by component:

1. DVD PLAYER. Connect the player's DIGITAL output (either fiber optic or coaxial)to your receiver. Be sure your receiver is enabled to recognize this digital stream. For the video, connect the player's S-video cable to the receiver.

2. SATELLITE. If the satellite receiver has a DIGITAL output (fiber optic or coax), use it. Just like the DVD player, you'll connect this to your A/V receiver. And like the DVD player, connect an S-video cable from the satellite receiver to the A/V receiver. If your satellite receiver does NOT have digital outputs and/or S-video outputs, then connect the composite video(yellow) jack to the A/V receiver along with the analog audio jacks (red and white).

3. VCR. Unless you have a really good VCR with S-video output, this connection will be strictly analog all the way--yellow (composite video) and red/white (analog audio).

4. COMPUTER. Assuming you just want audio here. If that's the case, connect an adapter cable from the headphone output (probably a 1/8 stereo plug) to the red/white RCA jacks on the A/V receiver. You can get this at any Radio Shack. If your computer has RCA jacks and/or digital outputs for audio, then it should be pretty obvious what goes where. Certainly, your A/V receiver won't have an input lablelled "computer" so you'll just have to use a different input (maybe "MD" or "Tape 1" or "CD" depending on your receiver.)

Of course, you'll need an S-video cable to connect the A/R receiver to your TV, as well as a composite (yellow) RCA video cable also to handle the video coming from the VCR. At this point, you'll be able to handle all of the switching from the A/V receiver--just pick your source component and enjoy the show.

Does that help?

Kiser Wilhelm
When I play movies on my dvd player the coloring is really bright. I can't find an option to adjust the tent on the dvd player and i know that its not the tent on my tv thats messed up. I have the dvd player hooked up through my vcr ,but i don't have a S-video cord connected. What is my problem here?

Derek
DVDs are copy protected and your VCR thinks you are trying to make a copy of the movie you are watching. Radio Shack, Recoton and Terk make RF-Modulators for your TV that will allow you to connect the DVD player correctly.

Anonymous
Help! I just bought a new Sony 750 home theater system with a Panasonic 5-player DVD player. Hooking it up seemed so simple. I don't have S-video on my aging computer so I'm hooking things up analog. The DVD player audio works great through the receiver to the five speakers, but no video shows up on the tv screen. I have the TV hooked to the receiver with a yellow video cable. Any suggestions what may be happening? I push the DVD button on the receiver so it knows which source to accept. I'm stumped as to why the picture just does not show up. The sales rep said to leave the cable going into the VCR and leave the VCR running into the TV and just hook the tv to the receiver via the yellow cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just got a RCA RTDVD 1 home theater system. The problem is that it will only play discs and the radio for less than a minute then it will shut off. Anyone have any idea how to fix it

Anonymous
I just purchased a panasonic home theater system. We are able to get sound when using the cd, dvd,and tuner, but not when in television mode. I think all cables are hooked up correctly. Our tv is an older sony stereo tv. Any suggestions?

Derek
You TV must have FIXED audio outs. Connect them to an aux input on the Panasonic.

help I am trying to hook up the new panosonic dvd player to the satellite and cant do you have any suggestions

Justin Piatt
I just bought a Sony 27" Flat-Tube TV (model # ends in 100) [fantastic by the way] My trouble - I connect to my all-in-one (i.e., DVD, six-speaker, tuner, analog-in) DVD 'hometheater' unit (KLH-thought bargin until now) using quality component video cables and all I get is a red tinted screen, move over to composite hook-up and all is fine. Hook-up my regular DVD player (Samsung) using component hook-up and picture is great. OK, so something is wrong with my KLH DVD system...questions 1) Is the component video connection on the KLH broken? I can't tell which individual connection is bad although I can get a gray or blue screen in addition to the red by moving the wires. 2) I'm going to get a high quality S-Video cable today and use that on the KLH - is there a big difference between S-video and component? 3) I notice that the widescreen box was considerably larger when hooked up to the Panasonic componentally than the KLH compositally (HUGE difference in 16:9 enhanced mode) Is this a feature of component connection and will I get the same results with an S-Video connection? Could it have anything to do just that the KLH is a cheapy unit?

Please help a video novice - if anyone can offer any assistance I would greatly appreciate it!

Does ne1 no how 2 hook up a JVC DVD player 2 a satellite?? If u do please e-mail me at huawi1002@yahoo.com thanx

I want to buy a DVD player but I have a really old TV. Can I hook up my DVD player through the VCR?

Derek
DVDs are copy protected and your VCR will think you are trying to make a copy of the movie you are watching and screw the picture up. RCA, Radio Shack, Recoton and Terk make RF-Modulators for your TV that will allow you to connect the DVD player correctly.

Corey
i have just purchased a satellite and would like to know the best way to set it up. Currently my dvd player is connected to my reciever using s-video. should i use the s-video from the satellite instead?

gil riley
Just purchased a Phillips home theater/dvd player combo and I have a Sylvania TV dvd/vcr combo without an S-video jack. It seems I have to choose either AUX to run dvds or component connection to get the full surround sound.
Am I missing something?

Christina Anderson
I am trying to hook up a satellite,VCR, dvd and tv and I have it all completed- only thing is - vcr will not record - any tips on hook up?

I am trying to hook up a DVD to Satellite, VCR and TV - the sound will be broadcast throught the speakers in the TV. The Satellite set-up is DirecTV. The VCR has only basic output connectors - no S-video. The Satellite box has an S-Video connector as does the DVD.

I'm trying to connect my sattelite receiver to my laptop using a s-video connecter. Both my laptop n my
satellite receiver have the s-video connection. How to do that?Im thinking of recording some programme to my laptop then burn it into my cd-rom.Thanks

I'm trying to connect my sattelite receiver to my laptop using a s-video connecter. Both my laptop n my
satellite receiver have the s-video connection. How to do that?Im thinking of recording some programme to my laptop then burn it into my cd-rom.Thanks

I bought a Norcent DP 300 DVD player a few days ago, and no one in my family can make it work. The TV is a 4 year old Sanyo. The TV remote has no options for switching back and forth from TV / DVD / etc. The VCR is quite old and there is also a satellite box. Help before I go mad =)

my coaxial input at the back of the tv has broken off so i can't hook up my cable line too the tv. I have AV inputs and the s-cable jack in the back . Is there any way to hook up cable using a dvd player or do i have to go buy a new tv?

Anonymous
I am looking to purchase a theatre system which will have a strong stereo component. I want a system with a timer and A,B options. I live in a small bungalow (1500 sq. ft.) My Question: Is the Yamaha 630 or 740 over kill for my space?

Anonymous
I want to hook up a RCA dvd player to a RCA TV using A Kenwood surround sound reciever
Any help would be awesome

Anonymous
I have a dvd/vcr combo and can not get video on dvd. Vcr works fine. The tv does not have a/v inputs, only a vhf/uhf terminal. I have a rf modulator, but that doesn't help.

Anonymous
i have a new apex dvd player and already have a satellite dish hooked up to my tv. i need to know how to hook up the dvd player through my satellite to my tv. please help me . email me please.

paul
need help i have direct tv, a pioneer dvd system, a philips vcr, and a rca home theatre tv. ive got the satelite the tv and vcr working fine but i cant get the dvd picture to come through does any body know how to connect all these together so that it will work. the dvd doesnt have coax just rca plugs which is making it hard to get it all together.. please help...

paul

Anonymous
Can you hook up a DVD player to a computer by a S video cable?

Is it possible to hook up a dvd player to a computer using a three phono lead with scart or a six phono lead with scart.

i just got a new Toshiba DVD player but my tv is really old and dosent have the 3 wirle plugs in the back, but i have a cable box and i tried plugging it into there and everything was plugged in but when i press play on my dvd player nothing happends the tv just stays on and i tried the input button but that wont work eaither what should i do?

I have a dvd ripper program that requres either a dvd-rom or a dvd player that will connect, with the proper cables, to my computer.I dont have a dvd-rom, so how do i hook up a dvd player to my pc? My question is, how do i connect it so that i can use this program and what cables/converters do i need? I was told about something like:you have to have a coaxial cable to hook from your dvd player to a converter and then from a converter through a usb cable to my pc. Does that sound farmiliar or can you help me?

Anonymous
I have a 32" sharp tv and a home theater system...with a cabe box and a dvd...which is the best way to hook it up....thx

Ryan Smith
I just bought a philips home theater system DVD player combo and i have it all hooked up and it works great. Right now the surround sound speakers only work when i play a dvd and i want it to work with my xbox and my satilite brodcasting. Is this possable and how? Thanks alot!

I just purchased a DVD player and a RF Modulator to hook it up to my old TV.
I've hooked up the DVD player through the modulator, but it doesn't work. This is what happens:
When I turn the DVD player on, the picture flashes across the screen for a split second and at the same time, the light on the modulator goes on. Then, the picture disapears and the modulator light stays off. The same thing happens when I turn the DVD player off.
Any suggestions?

I just bought a Daewoo digital home cinema system complete w/a dvd player and am/fm tuner. I connected it to my brand new RCA projection tv.My speakers work in dvd and tuner mode but do not work in tv mode. Did I do something wrong? The speaker wires are color coded so they were definitely connected correctly.

Unregistered guest
Help. I have a Panasonic Portable DVD player with a 7" LCD. I don't own a TV but do have a laptop computer and am wondering if I could use the S-video ports to play DVD's on my laptop in order to increase the viewing area. If it's possible, is there software I would need for my laptop?

Unregistered guest
I have a Pro Scan TV that hasl/momo/right audio/viedo connection and s-video for input 1.
input 2 has l/mono/ right audio/ video.
and dvd is a cd/dvd player sony dvp-nc685v.
Back has digital out coaxial/digital out optical/
5.1 ich output, line out l/r audio 1/2 jacks
line out video 1/2 jack s video out 1/2 jacks
component video out y,pb,pr jacks.
Kenwood Audio Video surround receiver 1060vr
phono, cd, tape/md with rec out/play in/ video 1 with rec out, play in / video 2 play in, video play 3 in and adaptior out/in.
Hitachi VT-f392A and a pioneer cld-m301 that I have working now for playing the cd's.
I need to know how to hook up the vcr,dvd player to the Pro Scan TV?
I am getting sound from dvd player but no picture on the tv. Got picture on the tv for the vcr but loss sound.
Old cd works great.
Can you help me get this problem fix.
thanks,
Tim

Anonymous

I have a 13" Sylvania TV that I bought from a friend, and it doesn't have a remote. I can't figure out how to get my new DVD player to work on it because I can't access a video channel or anything like that. When I turn on the DVD player, how do I get it to show up on my TV? everything is plugged in, and the yellow and white A/V hook-ups are plugged in. What do I do?

Anonymous

I just received a DVD player for Christmas - Does anyone know how i can hook it up to my computer?

Unregistered guest
I just received a DVD player for Christmas - Does anyone know how i can hook it up to my computer?

Username: Project6

Post Number: 36
is you computer capable of receiving video signals from an external source? It depends on the video card on your computer.
cheers

Unregistered guest
i have an apex dvd player that we have been trying to get to work on a tv we have. Nothing comes up on the screen when attempting to use remote control. Except a clicking sound when a music cd is being played. HELP!

Anonymous

I purchased a Koss DVD player and have a pretty cheap 27-inch tv which does not have a/v ports. I have a vcr and digital cable box connected to tv. I purchased the RF Modulator and the DVD, tv and digital cable box is working fine. Everything except the VCR. What am I doing wrong? I keep trying and I can't get it to work. Please help!

Unregistered guest
i have a stereo sansui tv, with no video or audio jacks at all, only a cable jack. is there any way to hook up a dvd player to it? there is already a vcr and cable box hooked up, both of which have audio and video jacks.

Post Number: 127
anonymous,
what channel is the vcr programmed to work on? Did you try different channels on the TV?

Unregistered guest
I have two problems with rcas. RCA colortrak was fixed twice, something with the vertical something or other. Each time, it would come on then after a few minutes, no picture at all. Cost me $250 each service. Is there something else they're missing?
On RCA Home Theatre, tonight, was watching tv and screen went white. It's not the satellite, bec I hooked up another tv to receiver and works fine. Please tell me there are easy answers to both these situations. Very frustrating and costly so far.

Unregistered guest
I just bought a Kenwood HBT-S500 Home-Theater System (which includes a KAF-S500 Amplifier).
I have this System connected to my Pioneer DVD-Player DV-464-S (192KHz, 24bitDAC) via a new fiber-optical-cable and to my new Plasma TV (Pioneer Plasma PDP-434HDG).
However when I listen to Music-CDs I can select nice Listening-Modes such as: Movie, Music , Pro Logic, Cinema, Music, Arena, Jazz-Club, Stadium, Disco, Theater...
Th sound is great, real surround!!

When I watch Movie-DVDs (e.g. DVD with Dolby Digital, DTS, 5.1ch TrueSurround),
I don't have all these "Listen-Modes" available and not so great.
:-(

I only have 2 Listen Modes:
"Stereo" and "Dolby-D"
The sound from Movies is very much different (worse) then when listing to Music-CDs!!
This with the same DVD-Player & Amplifier, as well same settings???

Please let me know why is that?
br ulli
ulrich.schwarz@avl.com

Anonymous

XBOX/DVD QUESTION--- Here's my situation. I have an RF modulator that allows me to hook my dvd player up to my tv, b/c my tv does not have the appropriate video connectors. The dvd player works fine. IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN BUY THAT WILL ENABLE ME TO ADD AN XBOX TO WHAT I HAVE? In other words have the dvd player running through the rf modulator to the tv and somehow piggy back another rf modulator off the original to hook up the xbox?? OR will i have to disconnect my dvd player to hook my xbox up and then reconnect my dvd player when I want to watch a movie??

Thanks for your help!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
try a product like this or something similar...

http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-440939-10482812?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&id=1051384742482&type=product&ref=03&loc=01

what you can do is hook everythng up to this unit and then use your RF modulator to hook it up to your TV

cheers

Unregistered guest
i need help hooking my new DVD player strait to my tv and my tv only has two hook ups in the back one for video and one for audio, o and the one for cable but i can't figure out how to get picture i can here the DVD but there is no picture on the screen

Anonymous

I have a problem with my dts reciever. I just got a new dvd and put it in and started watching it and every once in a while the dts light would turned off and the sound too. So i didn't like that so i went and turn off my reciever and my dvd player and unplugged the optical cords from both the dvd player and the suround sound reciever and now the dts sound wont work. I went in and reselected the dts in the main menu of the dvd video but still nothing. I tried everything. I even went into the dvd menu with no dvd in it and looked if anything changed and nothing changed. I even turnd the system off and left if sit for awhile and still nothing happend. I tried everything. What is my problem? Is the optical cord blown or something?

Unregistered guest
i have an apex dvd player and television. i'm trying to do s-video, but no sound will come out at all. i just removed the video wire and use the s-video wire and same audio wires (red and white). i just bought a fancy-pants s-video/audio combination and still no audio. tried going to the audio setup and nothing. for the love of god, how do i get sound to come out of the television?!

Silver Member

Post Number: 586
make sure that your tv is accepting audio input signals.
make sure that your dvd player is putting out analog audio and not digital signals.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us