New HT!!! Now I just need advice on how to make it work...

Anonymous
Here's what I have:

Sony KP-57WS500 57-Inch Hi-Scan 1080i® 16:9 Projection Television

Sony STR-SL7 Slim Design A/V Receiver

Sony DVP-NS315S Single Disc DVD Player (I am unsure if this is a progressive scan player)

Energy Take 5 speakers with 12" sub

OK, here are my questions:

1) I connected the DVD player to the monitor via component cables. The picture doesn't look all that great. There is a lot of horizontal smearing. Is there a source on the Net that will tell me how to 'tune' my monitor properly? I imagine that the out of the box settings aren't optimal. Also, if my DVD player is in fact, not progressive scan, am I losing picture quality?

2) When I play DVDs, they don't fill the screen. There is black space on the top and bottom of the screen. ARGHHHHHH!!!!!! If I set the monitor to 'Zoom' it does fill the screen. Is this the optimal setting?

3) I don't have a coax audio cable to connect the DVD player to the receiver. So instead, I'm temporarily using RCA cables. I'm only getting the front, center and sub output. I'm assuming that in order to get 5.1, I'll need a coax cable?

------------

Any other advice for a newbie, or pointing me to a good, FAQ oriented home theater info site (I can't seem to find any) would be much appreciated. I'm not really concerned about cable TV performance. Good DVD playback is what I'm after. Thanks!!!

Anonymous
if you have a bad picture with component from the start, you have bad components. Have a professional check it out.
yes progressive scan gives you a much better picture.
fiber optic or digital coax will give you 5.1 if you turn it on currectly. I recommend fiber optic
lastly, to fully enjoy this experiece, if it's over your head, check with your local stores that sell this stuff and check on installation, chances are they won't be too expensive and you will optimize everything.
If you bought a car, would you just look at it, or want to drive it and see what it could do?
treat your system this same way.

Anonymous
check out crutchfield website, it has a very thorough info on this
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us