Help please: HDMI/DVI connection from PC to HT monitor

Username: Rjs

Atlanta

Post Number: 1
Advice needed, please:

I'm replacing my old HT TV with a DLP projector, looking hard at the Samsung HLR5067W. It has an HDMI input and a VGA input (many others I looked at only have HDMI). My HT with PC requirements are pretty simple -- basic PC email/web use on the big screen. No near-term priority for gaming, high-def/high-res video from the PC, or PC media center use. Audio is already handled, I've been doing PC/internet audio into the HT for years, have the house network wired with data, line-level audio (with ground isolators) and coax-spdif already. My existing HT AV receiver has no HDMI/DVI switching capability, existing DVD does not have HDMI/DVI, no near-term plans to upgrade either. No near-term plans for high-def cable subscription or using the PC as a DVR. So for the next few years, the only use for the HDMI is for the PC display. When I move into high-def, I'll likely upgrade the AV receiver or add an HDMI switch.

It's a decently powerful PC with WinXP and an 8X AGP slot and can handle any resolution needed for the DLP projector. I am expecting to get a new video card with a simultaneous VGA and DVI active output, so I can use either the PC monitor or the DLP without any reconfiguration. Cable distance from the PC to the DLP is 12-15 feet, will spend what is necessary for the proper cable (DVI-HDMI cable or VGA cable). My questions are:
1 - All other things being equal, it's best to use the HDMI input to the DLP versus the VGA input, right?
2 - What other considerations in the PC to DLP hookup do I need to know?
3 - What about cable issues, like "single-link DVI" vs. "dual-link DVI"?
4 - Any recommendations on the new PC video card?
5 - Any links/FAQs that would be useful (my searches haven't turned up much)?

Many thanks in advance, RJ

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us