Archive through April 19, 2004

Anonymous

Re: the mail in rebate for the free stand - just wanted to let you know how it worked for my father-in-law yesterday after I read the other postings and called him about it. He has a 60V500 on order thru the local Sears store which is on back order, and had purchased the stand also so he was excited to find out if he qualified. So we all went down at lunch to see if he could get it. The salesman seemed to know all about it and simply cancelled the order and rerang it so that the rebate offer printed out on the receipt - PLUS printed another rebate receipt for a free Apex DVD player, or $99.99 toward any brand. He chose the Sony progressive scan model (DVD/CD/VCR) @ $179.99 with a 10% off sale, so $162.00 minus the $99.99 rebate = $62.00 total PLUS the $500 free stand equaled a productive lunch time!

Unregistered guest
Joel B!

Where did you purchase you v500 from?

JC
Unregistered guest
If you go to Sears.com and search for the 50v500, click on the rebate offer and scroll down. You will see the $499 stand rebate form. Any idea on how to get the APEX dvd rebate? I bought my set from Sears 3 weeks ago. Just wondering if I can get this rebate.

Anonymous

jc and others. thanks-my first post was yesterday asking about rebate. If, after 8 to 10 weeks I get the refund, then that averages about $20 for every word I typed in yesterday. Not bad. Thanks again.

Username: Ragdoll

Post Number: 2
Went to the sears.com site and the rebate is for a $500.00 gift card for buying the set and activating voom. No mention of the rebate for the stand and I don't want voom. Anyone find a different site for the rebate without getting voom?

jeffster8
Unregistered guest
Jim Beam

You have to scroll down past the Voom rebate, the stand rebate is under that one.

Jeff B

Username: Lexus0829

Post Number: 5
This is the reason why i still prefer the CRT HDTV protjection by Toshiba 57HX934 or the Hitachi 57 HDTV, I watched the hitachi lcd, the toshiba CRT 57HX83, Samsung DLP and Optoma HD2 DLP at Cambridge SOundworks here is S.J, CA. The longer you watch the more the DLP,LCD gets worst, the regular CRT HDTV gets better and better, although I would say the OPTOMA with the new HD2 DLP Chip was the only one i think could compete. Just a thought...

jc
Unregistered guest
In what way does it get worse?

Rich
Unregistered guest
I had my 60v500a delivered today from sears, and so far the picture looks awesome. Only one blue, stuck on pixel that I can see so far. I haven't tuned it up with Avia or Video Essentials yet to see how good it can really be because the fan noise is intolerable and I can't stand to listen to it for very long. It is louder than the fridge in the other room and it is at such a high frequency and harmonic that it gives me a headache, from the thought of the money I spent to have to listen to that racket. This is totally unacceptable for any home theater and seriously degrades the dynamic range of the audio, as well as hurting my ears and head. I'm going back to Sears in the morning to see about getting it replaced, but I really don't want to wait another 6 weeks for them to get one here.

Also the front access panel cosmetically and mechanically appears very cheap, and it does not even close flush to the cabinet. It looks like it might fall off or break just from normal use. It is amazing that Hitachi put so much engineering into the gear system that opens the door but it doesn't look like they put much design into the hinge or latch for it.

Like I said the picture quality looks great, it's just this awful fan and cheap looking access panel that is giving me second thoughts about going with another brand.

candymanaz
Unregistered guest
Does anyone want to sell me or send me a copy of their tv video settings disc.
I guess there's a disc to use to maximize your settings on your tv.
I would appreciate any help.
Rseboltaz@(deletethis)yahoo.com
Thanks

Joel B
Unregistered guest
I got my 60v500a from PC Richards.

Bronze Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 23
candymanaz:
Check out:

www.ovationmedia.com

I've owned the Avia DVD for some time now, but for only $20 the Sound & Vision disc looks to be the better buy. I calibrated video on my 50V500 (with Avia) and it helped.

The audio setup is just as useful, particularly the tricky subwoofer crossover/volume settings on a sub/sat speaker system. Plus, the S&V disc also does dts as well as Dolby Digital.

stevieboy
Unregistered guest
I'm back after 1 1/2 weeks (last post: 03/05). The new 60" that replaced the defective 60" is perfect. As with the 50" that I had for 4 weeks, and the defective 60" I had for 1 day - there are no fan noise problems whatsoever! After having some time to mess around with it, I finally have a question that I hope someone can answer:

I'm trying to have the TV Audio function as the
center in a surround sound mode, but so far, I'm having no luck. With the "TV as center" selected as the audio output, and the correct receiver/TV cord hookup, it still isn't working. Why? I have a Sony STR-DE845 receiver, which has a center output...I connect to the Hitachi center, via an
RCA connector. What do I need to do here? I am noticing that whenever I watch a "true" 1080i show, and the center speaker output is still connected to a separate center speaker, the receiver lights up like a Christmas tree, and the 5 speakers are all doing their thing! In other words, I get center speaker action the traditional way, but I'm unable to get it coming through my TV. Thanks.

stevieboy
Unregistered guest
Oh, by the way....the 60" is ideal at the 11.5 ft viewing range. I had my doubts about upgrading from the 50", but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this upgrade!
(i.e, IT'S WORTH IT!).
Also, the Hitachi stand still isn't in; the TV is higher now (with the temporary stand), than it will be when the Hitachi stand arrives. Shouldn't make much of a difference, other than less of a strained neck!

candymanaz
Unregistered guest
I have had my 50v500 for almost 2 weeks and I STILL LOVE IT!
Hooked up my Xbox and playing Tiger Woods golf is SWEET!
Got the Harmony SST-659 working and life is HEAVEN!
I recommend this set to anyone who is looking in this range.

candymanaz
Unregistered guest
john s

I could not get your link to work.
Can you double check it for me.
Thanks for the info

Username: Mistertudball

Post Number: 1
First, let me thank y'all for the info as I ventured out in February to buy a home theatre system. Incredibly valuable. I bought the 50v500, aware of the fan noise issue, and yes there is some. But this is sort of an "event" TV, so the volume is usually up enough to squelch it. After three weeks, the WIFE! bugged me to trade it in for the 60v500. How could I refuse? I love it, and here's the funny part.

The cable guy came to hook up the HD box to all the other equipment. It's been years since I've had a cable box of any kind and I was impressed with its sleek design. And you know what? It has a FAN! On all the time even when the box is turned off. I didn't know their HD box was also a DVR unit, but now I'm hooked on that feature too. Visitors have raved about the awesome picture ... nobody's mentioned the fan(s) noise. If there was only more HD programming.

candymanaz
Unregistered guest
How much price diff in the 60"?
How far are you sitting from the tv?
Did you notice any diff. in viewing from the same distance the bigger tv?

Now you guys have got me thinking about the 60"
although my viewing room is pretty tight, so a 60" is probly too big for my room now. I am just thinking about the future...

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 24
candyman:
Sorry, I had too much sugar on my Kapn' Krunch this morning. Try this:

http://www.ovationmultimedia.com/

BTW, audio testing is best done with the disc and a sound level meter. I have the Radio
Shack 33-2050, which used to be $30 (battery not included).

Candymanaz: The price dif was about $500 plus a small charge to pick up and deliver. Extended warranty was $100 more, but that was part of the $500. Includes the bulb.

The couch is 12.5 feet from the TV. While the 50" kinda screamed for "bigger", it took a bit to adjust to the 60". But the 10 extra inches is worth it. One female coworker told me she'd pay $500 for ten inches in a heartbeat :<)

Two rationalizations worked for me. One, HHGregg said they'd happily swap the 50 for 60 within one month (tick tick tick), and that I had already spent more for a TV than many of my cars cost ... what's another chunk of change?

So much fun watching all those old sci-fi movies that are now out on DVD with enhanced sound shaking the floor and your bones.

Contecsol
Unregistered guest
Here is a link for close out pricing on the 50v500. I love mine and got it at Sears after negotiating for $2600 with stand out the door.
Good Luck!
http://www.1-877camcorder.com/50v500.html

candymanaz
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the link!

I bought mine on the circuit city card (no charges for 12 mos.) and they have a 90 days price match guarantee.

If anyone sees it cheaper than the 2398, please post the link!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Lexus0829

Post Number: 13
What is the difference between 50v500 and 50vx500? is it the 1080p virtual HD conversion?
This is the model i saw in Cambridge Soundworks and it is awesome.

Username: Tommy_e_h

Dallas, TX

Just a quick update on the 60V500A. It's been about three weeks and so far so good. I'm watching a NBA game on ESPN-HD. The PQ is incredible! No dead or stuck pixels and the fan noise is bearly noticable with the room quite and the TV muted. I'm very happy with this TV. I still tiknk it is the best choice for a RP-Lcd TV for picture quality and price.

Jill
Unregistered guest
Hello all - I have had my 50V500A for 30 days now. I have had absolutely no problems except for a 2" crop circle which appeared on the second day. I have not yet called for service because I wanted to wait and see if any other problems might crop up that might sway my decision to replace vs. just have the crop circle repaired. Because I have been lucky with no dead pixels/fan noise, etc, I am wondering if it would be smarter to just have the light engine replacement done rather than entering into the realm of uncertainty on an entirely new unit.

Ordinarily I would want a brand new unit in this case but having read so many posts of problems I feel lucky to have only the crop circle (which doesn't even bother me that much other than knowing a $3000 tv should not have one) and I don't want to end up with a fan problem or dead pixels on the new set and have to deal with getting another and another, so I'm wondering if just fixing would be better. Any recommendations or info from others who have been in the same situation? Also, I have the 3 year sears extended warranty - in this case should I call hitachi or sears, since the warranties overlap at first? In a way I feel like i should call sears because i know if they have to look at the set 4 times (lemon set), then they give you a new one, so if these service calls are going to be a regular thing I guess I'd rather start that counter now... advice?

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 28
Jill:
"Crop Circle" I like that term because it effectively describes the phenomenon. Me--I've got "Casper Clumps." These are 'splotches' in a line roughly where the left-hand border of a 4:3 picture would be. "Casper" because they come and go rather ghost-like. Don't know what I'm going to do because sure as hell Casper will be out of the building when a service man looks at it.

In your case, I'd call Sears first, since you bought their plan. If they can't solve the problem I would (1) call Hitachi and (2) cancel the extended warranty for a full refund and put that money in escrow against future possible service calls after Hitachi's basic 1 year warranty.

Flashman33
Unregistered guest
Any of you have experience with going DVI from the High Def cable box to the TV. I have this configuration run, and it the digital input automatically adjusts on the TV, according to the output from the programming. For instance, ABC is automatically converting to 1080i, whereas FOX is 720P. THis seems like a great feature, as when I was running component, I had to choose the input level on the cable box. Just wanted to know if this is actually working as it is supposed to, or it is still pushing everything through one format.

Oh, btw, I have a 60v500...and I had HUGE fan noise troubles. At first I thought it was just the way the air flowed through the air damn, but once I had the repairman out, he replaced the fan, and ever since, it has been great!!

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 30
Flashman:
I was all set to try the DVI output on my HD cable box (why are DVI cables so expensive?). After some effort I finally found somebody at the cable company that knew something. "Our DVI output is non-functional and we have no plans to activate it in the future." :-(

My question is did you see a noticeable improvement in picture quality on the DVI input? On SD and HD?

scooter123
Unregistered guest
Just got my 50" yesterday...mine was made in Feb. 2004. Absolutly no fan noise at all. I don't see any dead or stuck pixels and the picture is incredable. I'm wondering if all the complaints have forced Hitachi to do somthing about it. Mine is the A model...Salesman at sears didn't know of any difference between the two. He also said that Hitachi owns the patent on the light engine and sony uses it in their units but have had problems from the beg due to other components...he said that sears told them to stop ordering the sonys for a while b/c too many were having problems and coming back. I'll be using video essentials today to set color....i plan on using the tv speakers for sound b/c the sound great and I don't see the need add component and speaker clutter when not needed. I adjusted the sound settings last night and turned a movie on, plenty of base, crisp sound and still get surround sound, i have it in a corner so i'm getting reflection off the walls. Playstation looks great....anyone know if games on a proj lcd would cause any probs???? i've heard roumors...but don't belive them. Sears priced matched for 2600, 399 for 3-year protection (includes bulbs), and rebate for free stand. After tax total comes to less than 3200....I say a great deal for this caliper of a tv.

Hitachi is great, we also have a Hitachi 42" Ultravision projection and have had no problems with it what-so-ever.

Username: Newbieny

Post Number: 9
Flashman33 and JOHN S, I like that feature on the DVI too. Can you post which cable company and setup box you are using (and from which area)? I'm using the motorola DCT6200 from RCN at boston area. I'm interested to find out if they support DVI out or not.

Anonymous

My new 50v500 will be delivered on Friday. What is this I hear about a video settings disc? Do I need to by a video disc to set up the video settings? If so, where do I get one?

My biggest concern now is that I'll be viewing my new set from about 9' away and I hope the 50" isn't too big.

Mike H
Unregistered guest
Can someone please post a link to the stand rebate. I've only been able to locate the one that requires activation of voom satellite. No plans for that, but the rebate would probably seal the deal for me.

(BTW, I have tried to scroll down past the voom rebate, but there is nothing else listed at all.)

Many thanks in advance.

Anonymous

??? Hmmmm - when I go to the website and look at the 50V500 and click on rebate info, the voom offer appears and then when I scroll down from there the stand rebate is listed right below the details on that offer (have to scroll pretty far). It's the next rebate and starts out like:

FREE TV STAND #40759 (APPROX. VALUE $499.99) CASH-BACK REBATE WHEN PURCHASED WITH A SELECT HITACHI TV #54759 WITH MAIL-IN REBATE. TO RECEIVE YOUR REBATE SEND IN THIS COMPLETED CERTIFICATE, SALES RECEIPT SHOWING QUALIFIED PURCHASES AND PURCHASE DATE.
Item: 057 54759
Description: 50 in. HDTV Monitor/LCD Projection TV, Widescreen

Offer Date: 02/15/04 - 04/03/04

Postmark Date: 05/03/04

Proof of Purchase Requirements:
Rebate Form and Rebate Receipt OR
Order Confirmation Email

Program #: 25990, etc etc.
and has all the other info lined up.

Don't know why yours isn't showing up - maybe you can also go to the store for help?

Unregistered guest
OK, what am I doing wrong here...does anybody use their 50V500 with a regular DirectTV signal using the 486 (I believe, the silver one) DirectTV receiver and have a horrible picture. I've tried S-Vid, Component Vid, Composite, you name it..the picture is horrible. I know I'm not doing something..any help would be appreciated, thanks, Jason.

Username: Candymanaz

AZ

OK
I just ordered the avia setup dvd.
Will let you know if it is worth the $30.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 32
Some reactions to recent posts:

stevieboy:
As per my 3.19.04 post, I'm glad you are happy with the 60". Even with my 10.5' sweet spot, I wish I'd have done the same. Have you solved your (internal TV speaker as center channel) audio problem yet? My question is, if you already have an external center speaker operating, why bother?

Scott:
I am using the Scientific Atlanta 3250HD box from WOW! (formerly Ameritech) cable. They tell me the DVI output on the box doesn't work but I still wonder...

Flashman33:
Is the picture quality better thru the DVI input?

Candymanaz:
I just ordered the Sound & Vision setup disc. I propose we write a review on Avia (you and me) and S&V (me), complete with a post of the exact video settings called for on both. In veiw of the fact that there's already a posted "closeout" price on the 50/60V500, isn't time we stopped talking price on this thread and start talking operation?

portlandlcd
Unregistered guest
What's up everybody, I too have recently purchased a 50v500a, From "video only" in portland, or. I know what your all saying about the fan noise, but turn the volume past 10 and you don't hear that fan , anyways who watches there phat 50inch on volume 10. It's a money t.v. I didn't read any complaints on here about how bad the picture is,(cause there are none) The only problem I have, is that all my friends want to come to my place and watch all the basketball games and play xbox. Another thing everybody with this t.v. should do, is go buy a bravo1 dvi player, the difference between the dvi and normal dvd is like night and day. So for anybody out there with doubts, take my advice, the t.v. is MONEY. If the worst complaint the people on here can come up with is a little noise, then maybe those people should get some Ben g-y. The t.v picture is clowing and i'm telling you guys, get the bravo dvi player, The picture is sick.

portlandlcd
Unregistered guest
What's up everybody, I too have recently purchased a 50v500a, From "video only" in portland, or. I know what your all saying about the fan noise, but turn the volume past 10 and you don't hear that fan , anyways who watches there phat 50inch on volume 10. It's a money t.v. I didn't read any complaints on here about how bad the picture is,(cause there are none) The only problem I have, is that all my friends want to come to my place and watch all the basketball games and play xbox. Another thing everybody with this t.v. should do, is go buy a bravo1 dvi player, the difference between the dvi and normal dvd is like night and day. So for anybody out there with doubts, take my advice, the t.v. is MONEY. If the worst complaint the people on here can come up with is a little noise, then maybe those people should get some Ben g-y. The t.v picture is clowing and i'm telling you guys, get the bravo dvi player, The picture is sick.

Username: Andyr

I've had my 50v500 for about 2 weeks now, no fan noise, but what is really starting to bother me is green tint on most of the faces, blond color hair and black backgrounds. Is this normal with this TV or did something go bad? I see this on different inputs s-video form DirecTV and DVI from digital cable.
Any suggestions???

stevieboy
Unregistered guest
To JOHN S and his post of March 25:

Thank you very much for responding to my center speaker question...so far, you're the only one to respond to it! There is (I believe) a real simple reason why I would like the center sound coming out of the TV -- it would eliminate the use of a traditional, physical center speaker (i.e., it would save me a lot of room, and the TV area would look a lot nicer without the physical speaker there)!! There had to be a reason why Hitachi gave us all the opportunity to use the TV this way.

Speaking of the Hitachi 60" stand -- I'm still waiting for it! ABC Warehouse in Michigan has ordered 30 of them....but, so far...they're not in! Hopefully, by the next Super Bowl, it will arrive!

Also, concerning the DVI cables - apparently, COMCAST cable in SE Michigan isn't using it (yet);
too bad, since our cable box has the DVI output on it.

That's it for now -- the family still loves the TV! It's the best overall value around, as far as picture and features are concerned!

Username: Easterner_pei

Charlottetown, PE Canada

Just bought the Hitachi 50v500 at Future Shop in Canada for tonite's delivery. Apparently Future Shop just started distributing the model in Canada last week.
I intend to use the audio system that comes with it for the main source of sound. I have 2 bookshelve Bose for rear speakers. Guess all I would need to get the most out of the audio is a powered subwoofer (Polk subwoofer psw202 was suggested). My video sources include HDTV Express Vu satellite and HDTV decoder/receiver dvi port and cables(also have a progressive scan DVD player) Hope I'm on the right track. Comments appreciated.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 35
stevieboy (re your 3-15 post):
This morning I conducted a little experiment. Since my 4 yr. old middle range receiver doesn't have separate line outputs for the 5 main surround channels (of course it has a sub out), I used another signal into the Hitachi. In this case, I hooked the left channel output on my cassette tape deck into the TV's "center in" jack.

I then selected "TV as center" on the audio menu, as I normally have the speakers on the "Off" position. I turned the receiver's audio balance all the way to the left, so the only sound I would hear would be the left channel on the TV's speakers.

I turned the TV's volume control half way up and played a tape. Sound, loud and clear! Well, not that loud--as I eased the TV's volume control up an orchestral crescendo happened and I found the speakers to be straining, with audible distortion.

Still, it worked--and so should yours. One obvious question that has to be answered: is there anything wrong with your TV's audio system? Do you get sound with the internal speakers in the normal "On" position (assuming you have analog audio going into the TV on one of its inputs)? And to state the obvious, once working, your main volume control on the TV would be the volume for the center channel.

You didn't mention a DVD player. Do you have the same problem there?

The next question is does your receiver need any programming on your part to activate the center line output? I'm not at all familiar with your model. You should check your owner's manual, although it seems to me that those outputs should work without any fiddling on your part.

I have two reservations about your desired setup.
1) The TV's internal audio, while the quality is above average for a TV, still isn't up to par for a decent surround setup. Audio is strained at higher volume levels--I'll bet the internal speaker amp doesn't exceed 8 clean watts total, even on a good day...
2) Do you run the possibility of amplifier damage (in the receiver) by running the center channel unloaded? I really don't know...

Anyway, I hope this helps.

dgl333
Unregistered guest
60v500.....Is anyone experiencing a greenish/yellowish tint issue and ghost like images around certain images. Seems to be where high light is on a subject. In addition all images seem to be a bit "blurry" or rasterized. My cable company is a few months away from the release of Hi-def boxes and my salesman told me what i am seeing is the TV looking for a hi-def signal. I AM CURRENTLY USING A STANDARD DIGITAL CABLE BOX

Username: Biged

Post Number: 3
Well, I finally experienced a problem last night with my 50V500. An SD channel (viewed through my HD Cable Box and my set configured to Ant A-SD) now seems to have a green tinge at the top of the screen and the top lines seem to be distorted (tiling effects). When I use my HD Tuner the picture is fine on both the SD and HD channels (although not as good on the non-SD channels as the SD tuner used to be). Anybody experience anything like this?? My assumption is that my SD tuner may be going bad on my set (as this effect seems to come and go depending when I turn on my set and the channel). The HD channels / tuner are still flawless. I guess I'll be using my CC warranty sooner than I thought. Anybody, have a similar experience?? Thanks in advance.

stevieboy
Unregistered guest
JOHN S....for a Buckeye, you're OK!

The TV internal speakers DO work fine.

Yes, same problem with the DVD when trying to get center sound on the TV....but, DVD 5-ch sound is OK when using another, physical center speaker.

Now, this will probably be quite useless to you, but I'm sending you a link that will display the back of my receiver...if you look upper-left corner, and go a bit to the right, you'll see red/white, then red/white again...the NEXT input to the right of that (on the top), is labelled as "CENTER"...that's where I'm connecting the TV to. Those inputs are all the "5.0" inputs. My brother (the self-designated expert on this stuff) said that this is where the connection should go. He can't understand why it's not working. Yes, we checked the manual and believe that we don't need to fiddle with anything.

Link is:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/58/index4.html

As far as sound quality and damage, we'll take that road when we slay the wicked witch !!
However, it is something to consider. AGAIN, MY BROTHER SUGGESTED THAT I DO ALL OF THIS, BASED ON HIS EXPERIENCE WITH HIS OWN SYSTEM.

Again, thanks...when I get home later, I'll try and fiddle with this some more.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 36
stevieboy:
Too bad I can't enlarge the picture of your receiver's backside, so I have to ask: are you positive that's a center output instead of input? You yourself call them "5.0 inputs." If they are actually inputs, they're there to take, not give.

BTW, I'm a transplanted Hoosier (IU), and even though I've lived here many years, I try to maintain some semblance of neutrality--a very tough thing to do in this town.

Username: Bryan_b

I got my 50v500 yesterday, used the video essentials disk and my picture is grainy...my 36" sony wega(CRT) had a better picture. (both DVD and DirectTV)...any ideas? I used S-vid for the dvd and RCA component for the sat (both connections are gold plated. Fan noise is there but not too bad

dgl333
Unregistered guest
Bryan use the DVI input for the sat, it is the only true digital connection. And remember for all that viewing area, you are going to loose a little clarity. In the most simple terms, when the screen is that big you see alot more. Both good and bad.

Sat box only has RCA and coax...I watch it in 4-3 standard. The set in Sears looked a hundred times better.

dgl333
Unregistered guest
because they had it hooked up 2 $1,000 worth of Dig Sat equip. You need to get an HDTV sat box with at minimum Component not composit vid out. Preferably DVI output. These links at CNET will help u get a better understanding of whats happening with your system.
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-3.html?tag=hdtv.4520-7874_1-5108580-3
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-5.html?tag=txt

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 37
Thanks dgl333 for the excellent links. The paragraph on "Regular TV on an HDTV" nails it. When I got my 50 last Dec. I was shocked and dismayed at the PQ on this set. Even though this TV is supposed to upconvert SD to 1080p (yes p), the picture quality, to use the vernacular, sucked.

Then two things happened. First I upgraded to a progressive scan DVD player, complete with component hookup into Vid 2 on the TV. It ain't HD, but its damn good.

Second, I saw my first HD broadcast--an NFL playoff game two weeks before the Superbowl. Let me say it was an eye-popping experience!

So hang in there Bryan, your baby's OK--it's not getting the right food just now.

Username: Msnewma

I purchased my 50v500 from circuit city last week. The fan noise isn't a problem, though I do have 1 stuck pixel in the middle of the screen. I called Comcast today and am scheduled to get my HD box on monday.

Question: does anyone know if Comcast has the DVI output activated on their boxes?

Also, I didn't fell like dropping $500 for the matching stand, so I took a trip to Ikea. Turns out they had a stand that looked like it was made for the 50V500. For $99, you can't beat it. I've included the link:

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12&lang Id=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=11149

Looking forward to seeing the NCAA championship and the Masters in HD next week.

dgl333 and John S
upgraded to an "open box" sony ns715p dvd player...made a huge difference with DVD PQ (used the composit inputs and Shrek was no longer pixeled) and of course had to re-do the video essentials calibration. I am going to make the change from componet to S-vid on the Sat box...hope it will help alittle. I cant see dropping $400 for HDTV dish and reciever for only 4 HD channels from DirectTv...yet...now to convince the wife how much I "really" need HD. Fan noise is not noticable unless I mute the tv and I have NO dead/stuck pixels or other issues. I guess I got lucky with the 500A model. The links helped alot so thanks for posting them.

Flashman33
Unregistered guest
I do not notice a HUGE difference in picture quality when I went from Component to DVI input. I did buy the DVI cable on E-bay for like $20. There was no way I was going to pay $140 for a monster cable, and mebbe that is why I don't see too much of a difference. To tell you the truth, with the HD signal, i don't know how the picture could possibly be any better.

I will check out the specs on my cable box later. I am using Time Warner's service in NE Ohio.

Anonymous

I just purchased my Hitachi 50v500 from Sears for $2368! To get this price, I had Sears price match 1-877-Camcorder. They would not do an exact match, but went $2530. I paid by credit card (with item to be picked up later) and took the receipt to Circuit City. Not to be beat out by Sears, they price matched Sears plus 10% of the difference. I paid by credit card (with item to be picked up later) and took that receipt to Sears. They price matched Circuit City less 10%! Final price was $2368 plus tax. Now I have to go get 2 refunds on the first 2 purchases, but I got my price! Neither store would have gone this low with only price quotes, but they have no problems with paid register receipts! Good Luck!

Any advice for a new HD user? I am upgrading my DISH 500 system to the new DISH 811 HD receiver before the TV arrives so that I have a good signal to evaluate the set by. What about some DVD player advice, like best video outputs to use, cables, etc.

Thanks!

VGM clearance-rack@juno.com

Post Number: 4
Has anyone hooked there PS2 to there 50v500? Was the picture good? thanks

Post Number: 5
Has anyone hooked up there PS2 to there 50v500?
Does it look good?

Username: Newbieny

Post Number: 10
VGM, good job, but I guess we all have the same question for you, why stopped there? :-)

Definitely get a Progressive DVD player. They are pretty cheap now, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000BV0XV/103-5362754-6313410, with rebate only $43. If you have some money to kill though, get a Bravo that has a DVI out.

Anonymous

Scott, do you think I should try and go lower? This is the lowest that I have seen anyone get the 50v500 for lately? Sears on eBay is offering it for $2297 from the outlet centers, but the closest one is a 6 hour drive.

I have pre-ordered the Panasonic DVD-S97S Progressive Scan DVD Player with HDMI DV output thru Amazon.com. Does anyone have the full specs on this unit yet?

Thanks.....

VGM

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 42
Anon:
I think you'd better make sure the Pan player also has DVI out, because the Hit TV doesn't have HDMI in. I think these two use totally different hookup wires. Somebody out there correct me if I'm wrong.

Post Number: 6
John S

Used a gold S vid to connect SAT to tv...much better. Now to get a Svid for the PS2.

Michael4Wood
Unregistered guest
Just purchased 50V5000A from PC Richards. $2950 with stand delivered. No rebate for stand. WIll be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully, the fan noise will not completely freak me out. I love the look of the set. Watched it on the selling floor. Heard no noise there! Probably a bit noisier there than at home. The picture looked sensational. The spec's look great also. I'm hoping this will turn out ok.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 43
Bryan:
Good to see you're getting with the program. The game box should look OK in 4:3, but not so good in 4:3 expand mode. I'm not a game player, but I just might become one when the first true HD game box comes out.

Mell:
Update on the Ant A picture please. My guess is the problem's not with the TV tuner, but rather the splitter or the cable wire in.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 44
Bryan:
I almost forgot. What "video essentials" disc are you using? I am working on a review of the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-UP and the Avia Guide to Home Theater discs. Is it one of these?

Post Number: 7
John S,
I used the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up...found the link farther up this thread when I was deciding on the TV. It worked like a charm. I also used it to fine tune the surround sound. As the the PS2..looks great now that I got a Svid connection on it. 16:9 not too bad 4:3 looks real good. I still get a ghost here and there on the picts, even DVD, but I think I am being too picky.

Anonymous

Anyone have any experience recording HDTV to DVD? I have a Panasonic E-30 DVD recorder and wondered if it were possible? If not, what can I use?

Thanks....

VGM

I'd like to know the answer to Anon's question as well. I have a 60v500 with a Motorola HD DVR box through Insight cable TV. The DVR can record up to 10 hours of HD and it's about half full of Discovery Channel HD shows that the wife won't let me erase. I don't have a DVD recorder but would consider one if you could successfully burn those shows and have them still be crystal clear. The HD box has a ton of inputs and outputs, including USB, none of which I understand but sent away for an owner's manual. Is this a viable alternative?

Completely absorbed by the 60v by the way. No dead pixels, hardly even notice the fans on either the TV or HD box anymore.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 50
HD DVD recorders don't exist yet. There are (not suprisingly) two totally incompatible systems being developed. Sony/Panasonic/Philips has their Blu-ray Disc (BD), and NEC/Toshiba are developing their HD DVD recorder. Each have their pros and cons. And there could be a long battle over which system will be adopted as the standard by the DVD Forum, and maybe ultimately by the US Government.

I'm guessing that it's going to be at least 3 years before affordable recording (removable disc) machines will be available. Meanwhile, there's Digital-VHS which will record HD, which surely must be considered a transition format.

We're stuck with hard-disc recording for the time being.

Username: Ascoondog

Gray, Georgia USA

I also have been using the Sound & Vision Tune Up disc to set the picture up on my 50v500, but I cannot get contrast and brightness set right on this tv with this disk. I know it is not the disc because I have used this one to set up several other TV's with no problem. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 9
Does anyone have a "ghost" problem when watching hockey or othre sports? I can not get rid of them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 58
Ashley:
I remember having some kind of problem there myself. I haven't had time to try again but will soon, and I will post anything useful I find here.

bryan:
No, I haven't had that problem--in fact, the NCAA championship game PQ was breathtaking.

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 10
John S,

Maybe "ghosts" was a little off...I noticed that the players (while on the ice) had small ghosts around them. It was on ESPN which I have my sat connected through the component (Yb, etc) so I thought that was weird.

Ashley
Brightness on mine was 63, Contrast was 10. I hope that helps. (of course I have ghosts so mine maybe off too)

Username: Ascoondog

Gray, Georgia USA

Post Number: 4
Bryan,
Thanks for your response, but do you actually get the contrast to bloom on your tv? Also, is this in a pitch black dark room like I have?
Thanks,
Ashley

AndyANdyAndy
Unregistered guest
By "Video Essentials" he is reffering to Joe Kane's "Digital Video Essentials"

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 11
Ashley,

It is not a completely dark room. You might want to drop the brightness down a little, say 56-58 range. Then throw in a DVD with some dark seens like "Underworld" or just a wide screen and try and match the bars with the black on the screen.

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 12
John S,

Could part of my video problem be that my SAT shares 100+ feet of cable with the OTA antenna? Just thinking that maybe that is costing me some PQ. Any Ideas?

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 59
Ashley:
This TV will not bloom. Maybe blooming is a weakness specific to CRTs, or maybe this is evidence of the high quality of this TV. This technology is just as new to me as to everybody else. I tried both the S&V and Avia discs with the same results.

I've used the Avia disc on many CRTs over the past 5 years, and that contrast test will absolutely murder a cheap TV.

The first time I tried the brightness (pluge) test, I could not see the moving dark bars at all.
It didn't occur to me that I'd been running the Black Enhancement Mode on Low. In order to see the black bars, black enhancement must be off. So, here is what I have for lumenance settings:
Contrast: 85 (again, the set won't bloom, so this number seemed like a good idea to me)
Brightness: 51 (this is the exact point the left bar disappears)
Black Enhancement: Off (I still like Low, but I'm going to leave it alone until I watch a couple of DVDs)
Contrast: Normal (this seemed to work best with both tests--I still like Dynamic, but I'm going to try to keep my mitts off this one for the time being also)

These tests were done with fairly low ambient lighting. Again, I'm going to try a couple of movies later.

bryan:
I have no personal experience with Sat dishes, but it seems to me with a run of that distance, your system should have some sort of signal amplifier either at the dish, or inside. If so, will that amplifier also take care of the OTA signal? I don't know.

1) How was the OTA antenna integrated with the Sat cable run?
2) Is your picture problem with the OTA or Sat (or both)?
3) Are you splitting those signals to other TVs in the house?
4) What's a guy in NC doing watching hockey?

Username: Ragdoll

John S.
Try these settings:
Contrast-100%
Brightness- 70%
Color-41%
Color Temp-High
Black Enhancement-Low
Contrast Mode-Dynamic
When I am watching H.D., I have the Black Enhancement mode OFF since it blackens too much and details are lost.
Give it a shot and let me know what you think

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 13
John,

I have a diplexer on the roof then another one to separate the signals before the SAT box. The OTA signal goes into the Ant A connection. Problem is with both signals. 1 TV.

As for the hockey....I am in the military and am originally from just outside DETROIT...GO WINGS...GO BLUE... of course I went to school at USC so the Rose bowl was a win win situation for me. Of course I cheered for where all my money is going to (student loans) :-)

B. W.
Unregistered guest
Have had the 50v500 for 2 months now and Fan noise only noticiable when TV off. It should be no louder than a refrigerator.
Agree with Ragdoll above..Great Picture that doesn't need much Black enhancement.

Anonymous

I just purchased the 50V500a from sears for
$3500 , $2899 for the tv and $399 for the stand. This was after a 10% cc price match. Could I get a better deal, sounds like I paid way too much??

Username: Captaintrocar

Ulster Park , New York USA

Well, I am been reading the BBS on the Hitachi 60v500a for quite some time now. I think I am ready to "bite-the-bullet" and hit CC tomorrow. Their weekly ad is boasting a 10% off TVs sale, and the stand is marked $100 off. Any cautious advice would be greatly appreciate.

I currently subscribe to Directv (non-HDTV). Any info on this type of signal into the 60v500a would be appreciated!

Lionpaw
Unregistered guest
Well, after going round and round with Sears who refused to work with me, I bought my 50V500 for 2399 from ABC Warehouse here in Michigan. I do have a reciept that Sears will match, but they forced me to buy it and once I strike a deal, I stick with it. I would love to post it here in pdf if anyone wants, It actually would wind up (with 110% price match) 50 dollars under wholesale.I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I would recommend that you examine the screen, because the LCD technology is prone to stuck pixels, but Hitachi is the top manufaturer of this technology in the world and they have really created a wonderful TV. HI Def is incredible and I will warn those that are critical of DVDs that the hair, makeup and visual flaws in the origonal WILL come out on this set. In addition I interfaced my HTPC through the SVideo and it looks pretty good. There are VGA to componant converters available, but you most likely won't need them with a good card.

Lionpaw
Unregistered guest
Oh, a little more. I was using Comcast non Hi Def at first and there are many problems with poor (read non-film) reproductions over the standard picture. This TV does reproduce good NTSC, but only if it is GOOD NTSC, shoddy signals and poor filming really is un watchable. In addition I used the Ovation Sound & Vision Tune Up DVD (the little brother to the AVIA DVD) and after setting the contrast, tint, sharpmess and brightness, the picture came out really well. From the factory it does need adjustment though, its too bright, and the tint is off. I am really un impressed with the speakers on this unit. For the price they could have done much better. There is also a few issues I have with the set up, and aspect. It seems that the zoom functions are not really usable and the 4:3 sidebars default to grey, not black so you need to reset them EVERY time you turn the set on. Still, I made a good choice.

Dave in San Diego
Unregistered guest
After looking for quite some time now... finally decided on the 50v500 and purchased early Feb from CC. Sears would NOT price match an internet site, only local retailers. Manager told me that any sales person selling this TV for $2300 or there abouts is probably no longer a Sears employee. Interesting at CC though, I had found the Panasonic at another retailer for $300 cheaper than the CC price on the Pana.. Told the salesperson I was still considering the Panasonic because it was so much cheaper. They called the other store and verified $300 difference on the Panasonic and the agreed to give me $300 off on the Hitachi. I got the 48 month warrenty which they assured me covered the bulb.
I can't find any stuck pixels and I'm not going to look anymore. If you find them, your eyes will just be drawn to them. If I can't see it during normal viewing, then I don't care.
Fan... mine is very quite, only noticable when sound is completly off.
Problem... Ghosting very bad... upgraded cables then realized it was also ghosting on the On-Screen Menu, so it must be within the set. Technician came out today and verified the same and said they will need to replace the "card". So now I'm stuck with a second tech visit. He only works mon-fri, so now I have to take another day off to wait for this. Thought about asking CC for a new set, but thought since I have one with no stuck pixels and a quiet fan, I'll see what the new card does.
Anyone know what this "card" is they will replace? Can I expect good results?

Thanks

Anonymous

I too just purchased the 60V500 from Sears with a price match and free stand for a total of $3270. I had a GREAT salesperson who worked with the price for me. I could not pass this up with the rebate on the stand. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 61
bryan:
I think it's understandable that you have a problem with local TV reception, even with an outside antenna, being as you are in the middle of...well the OBX. Fixed pixel TVs like this one are very unforgiving to even the slightest flaw in analog reception. That would apply to your Sat reception, although given a good system, you should be happier with that than you are. I still think a signal amplifier is in order here, but I must also recommend you have a competent TV technician check your system before you take my advice.

That said, you probably don't want to hear this, but you need to be promoted up one grade so you can justify an HD feed. I watched a little of the Det/Nsh game yesterday in glorious High Definition on ESPN-HD, and with that picture quality I might just become a hockey fan....well OK....not! Instead, the Masters was even more impressive. The picture is so sharp that sometimes it's a disadvantage--Phil Mickelson's got pockmarks and needs a shave.

Dave in SD:
Good luck with the "card" replacement. I've been following this thread for a long time, and your problem is not unique, but it is rare. Insist on an exchange of TVs if the problem isn't resolved in a timely manner.

Jim Beam:
Thanks for your input on the picture settings. They're close to my ideal, except that the Brightness, Color, and Color Temp settings are a bit too high for my taste.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, Dorothy!"

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 14
John,

I missed the Master's...was busy playing 18 myself... Fan has become loud enough that I no longer hear the wifes complaining...now do I call in a tech or... huuuuuummm

Anonymous

could the person who bought the 60v500 for 3250 tell me where, cuz thats an awesome deal, i want to order from there.

Anonymous

Same here, 60v500 for 3250 and a free stand?
Please let us know how?

Vernon
Unregistered guest
I have a new HIT 50v500 with Dish 811 receiver connected with a DVI cable. The Dish 811 does not pick up HD OTA signals very well, so I purchased a Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna and a Samsung SIR-T351 receiver which works GREAT for HVTV. The problem is that BOTH units have DVI output and the HIT 50v500 has only 1 DVI input. Any suggestions on a good DVI A/V switch?

jmos
Unregistered guest
I too agree that the $3270 was an awesome price. I purchased it from Sears in Woodbridge, NJ. The salesmen was great. I tried to use the price on 877-Camcorder to do a price match and he knew it was a refirb unit. He then took me in the back of the store and showed me the lowest price they sold one of these units for and gave me a price match on that price, getting it down to $3270. THey also had a rebate for the free stand. Good luck to all.

Unregistered guest
got mine for $1900 @ CC. I get mad discounts there!

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 69
Vernon:
Here's one DVI switch:

www.pacificcable.com/DVI_switch.html

$215 sounds like a lot for this sort of thing, but I'm having trouble understanding why the cables themselves are so expensive.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 70
bryan:
Oh no! Not the dreaded fan. You're saying it's gotten louder since the TV was new?

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 15
John S,

You were correct(not that I didnt believe you)...HOCKEY in HD is outstanding...just upgraded a couple days ago to a Direct TV HD system... I had to put on a jacket and kept looking over my shoulder for the dancing drunk...

The fan is now making way more noise then it did when originally purchased... any volume setting below 7 and the fan is louder then the TV (from 7 feet away). (Happy to see that the dreaded fan brought a ray of sarcastic releif to your work day) he...he...he... :-)

Lynn
Unregistered guest
Is there another way for Hitachi to cool the lamp inside without using a fan because fan does make the noise when it rotates at high speed? Why can't they come up with any other method to cool it? Does anyone has a comment on this?

Username: Captaintrocar

Ulster Park , New York USA

Well I "bit-the-bullet" and bought the 60V500a from CC. $3,599 for LCD and 499 for stand (definitely overpriced). I was told my stand was in stock, but at the loading dock, the manager apologized for miscalculating their stock. So I left with the LCD and a temporary stand from CC. They said it would be delivered to my home, assembled within 3 days. Today is day 7 and nothing yet.

As far as the TV is concerned, WOW. The picture is awesome, so impressive that after my brother-in-law watched the Stone "Flicks" CD, he went out to Sears and bought the 60v500a, price matched @ $3,599.

The Fan: the WHIZZZ of the fan is only noticable below at low volume settings. I am not sure if it has gotten any louder, or if I am just trying to notice it more.

Can someone tell me why a show like Third Watch and Sopranos is received with border on the bottom (Letterbox?). Isn't that meant for widescreen purposes? It appears distorted in 4:3 expanded, and worse in 16:9..

An what's up with CC pushing the 4 year extended warranty? I am under the impression this extended warranty can be purchased from Hitachi direct within the first year of purchase.

Unregistered guest
what is the difference between the v500 and the vx500. Price, components functions and which is better.

Thanks

Bronze Member

New Bern , NC

Post Number: 16
Harry,

There are 2 diferent widescreen formats, 1) 1.79:1 and 2) 2.??:1. So not all widescreens fill the entire screen. If I am wrong on the format specs I appoligize (llok on the back of a couple DVDs for correct size).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us