Cant get color from PHILIPS DIRECTV! HELP!

Anonymous
Please help! I just purchased a DirecTV 2 room system and had it professionally installed. The installer hooked it up using coaxial inputs and it works fine! But when I hook it up with S-VIDEO I get a black&white picture! There is some color but only if its very bright colors. Too answer some of questions I can already tell you are going to ask ....here is a rundown of the equiptment and the way I have tried to hook it up!

I have:
Connected wire directly from dish to Sat. In jack on back of reciever. Connected S-VIDEO wire to all diffrent S-VIDEO inputs on TV. = B&W picture
Connected coaxial to TV = COLOR
I know that there is nothing wrong with the TV because I have connected several DVD players to the S-VIDEO and they play in color! I have also tried 3 different S-VIDEO cables!

Here is my equiptment:
Panasonic PT-53WX42 53" HDTV Rear Projection WideScreen
Philips DSX5500 receiver

I have hooked this up every way conceiveable! I'm stumped! Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris

Anonymous
I've have a similar situation w/DSX5500C with a plasma TV. I spoke to Philips, but they were unable to answer why the s-video doesn't work with the higher quality sets (I'm still waiting for a call back from Philips and its been over 4 days). I called Panasonic and found out that its the quality of the s-video processing performed by the satellite receiver. The lower end satellite receivers work fine with analog TV sets, but they don't work well with digital sets (actually with analog, you don't notice the poor quality of the s-video signal from this unit). I was able to use the composite video (Video Out 1) which gives good results with the plasma. I have the coax video out connected to an analog TV which gives better results than if I use the s-video to the same set. Panasonic recommends purchasing a higher line of satellite receiver to drive the digital set.
I am also finding that I can not set reminders on the DSX5500 when the programs are on consecutive time slots. I can program the first for Mon-Fri from 7:00AM to 7:30AM but when I try programming Mon-Fri from 7:30 to 8:00AM I get an error message stating that there is a conflict. I use the reminder to set the satellite receiver to tune to a particular station so I can tape it on the VCR. I was wondering if you've experienced the same.

Dave

Anonymous
I have the same problem and I cant believe that DTV is still sending out a defective unit. Why would my Philips DVD player work correctly with the Panasonic 56" tv and not the receiver? I also am waiting to hear back from both Philips and DTV.

Anonymous
I also have a DSX-5500 and although the s-video output works ok with my Sony Wega 20" set, the problem I have is that if the camera pans a scene slowly to the left or right, the motion is not smooth but "cogs" or has sort of a stop-motion effect. Has anyone else seen this? I wonder if the RCA recievers are any better?

Jeff

Anonymous
>the problem I have is that if the camera pans a scene slowly to the left or right, the motion is not smooth but "cogs" or has sort of a stop-motion effect. Has anyone else seen this? I wonder if the RCA recievers are any better?<

Yes, I have the same problem. My kids can't see it, but I do and I have reported the problem to DIRECTV, who in turn has raised it to Philips. They have determined it is not a hardware issue, so they can hopefully fix it with a software download. I don't have word yet on when this is to occur.

I believe the RCAs are better. I have a DRD420 in the bedroom and it is beautiful, never has given me any trouble. That is how I determined this was a Philips issue and not a dish or cable problem.

Rob
I've had the same problem with the reminder conflicts while trying to record the Perry Mason episodes on the Hallmark Channel. (They have Perry Mason on from 10-11 AM, 11 AM to 12 PM, 2-3 PM and 3-4 PM on Mon-Fri, so there's your back-to-back shows.) It lets you do it once, but if you try to do it Mon-Fri (or daily) it will give you a reminder conflict. The only way I've managed to get around this, was to look at Hallmark's schedule for the weekend and try to find a movie or other two-hour event in the same time slot as the Perry Masons during the week. I did find such a thing, luckily, for one of the two-hour slots. Then, by selecting it and pressing the okay button, allowed me to set a reminder for that program, BUT SELECT Mon-Fri.
So now I've got one of the two time slots taken care of, anyway.
But you shouldn't have to go through all that just to program your receiver. I'll probably wind up getting another receiver, like maybe the Hughes GAEBOA.

Anonymous
I have a philips dsx5500.I want to know if there is a way I can use my hu card with it.Can anyone help me?

How r u guys wiring your htib's to get the best sounds and video from the sate.sys.I have Directtv.and a 55'Phillips tv/pip,Phillips sate.receiver,not the surround sound unit,not sure of the model.

I have the Philips 5500dsx and the picture quality is poor to say the least. When watching football, it's watching glowing blurry figures run down the field. My cable quality was much better. Any one else have this problem

Anonymous
I bought a philips DSX5500....a little bettter than my 5200s series but I can't seem to make my HU work with it.....it says not compatible?....does anybody out there can help me out...i didn't want directv to charge me for the extra work,,,thanks....!

TC
This is what I was looking for. I just bought an HD capable television (Pioneer Elite 53"). Before, I had a standard TV, and the Phillips receiver using S-Video worked fine. But now, trying to use S-Video to the new set, I get all B/W with some crazy burnt orange color for some skin tones.

I am going HD eventually, but I am obviously going to have to do some serious research before spending that kind of money.

Anonymous
Re: Philips DirecTV 5500 ML1 causing black & white picture when using S-video through an a/v receiver.
Philips is aware there is a problem with the S-video on their 5500 models. They are exchanging the receiver, free of charge, for the newest version where the S-video is fixed; look for the 5500 ML2 version. For one week now, I've been running the new satelite receiver through my a/v receiver into my non-HDTV and getting a great picture.

Anonymous
I HAVE A DSX 5500 WHEN I PUT MY HU CARD IN, I GET THE MESSAGE NOT COMPATIBLE, CAN ANYONE HELP ME? WILL THE DSX 5500 ACCEPT THE HU CARD, IF SO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO THE SYSTEM.

Anonymous

I have a Philips DSX5350, HU card, I can see the Guide Menu, but no picture comes on, signal is on the 90's, we used the RCA jacks to connect to the TV, we did not connect the Svideo is this needed to see the picture? but I can see the menus.

wongisdavid
Unregistered guest
Philips DSX 5500 is a new generation of receivers which DTV & the company combind together to stop using Hu cards on 7th generation receivers. All of them now uses P4 & P5. So call up DTV and request a P4 or P5 card to support your receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us