Local channels in hdtv on directv?

Username: Pinotgrigio1999

Post Number: 4
I keep reading on the internet that directv and CBS teamed up to broadcast hdtv for the cbs local feed from New York. And you can also watch this on the cbs- east feed on your diectv lineup. Is this true? I called directv and asked them about this and they had no idea what I was talking about!!! I do have the correct equiptment and currently subscribe to the HD package and NFL Sunday Ticket. Take for instance the superbowl...my local baltimore CBS station will broadcast it is hdtv for over the air reception, but the way that I have read these various internet sites, say that you can watch the New York HDTV feed over the satelite on the CBS East New York Feed. Is this correct?
Thanks to anyone who can clarify this. Here is a link to a press release from directv about this...just seems to good to be true. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headline.dsp?id=01_08_2004D

Unregistered guest
I check DirecTV site and the Superbowl is on channel 80 and 81. It sure looks like we will get it in HD. Why wouldn't DTV let us know that Superbowl would be on channel 80 and 81? I was was/am going to put up an OTA this weekend so I would be able to see the game in HD. Now I'm thing, should I?

Post Number: 10
I have no idea??? When I called Directv, they also had no idea!!! Unfortunatly for me, I live in one of those areas where you need a huge antenna in the attic for OTA HDTV. I have not tried the attic antenna yet, and probably will not be able to before the big game next week. I will just cross my fingers and toes that on either one of those channels we get the SuperBowel in HD.

Theo
Unregistered guest
Check this link out. Looks like the feed starts Friday. You can see channel 80 and 81 and their lineups:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/BasicSearchAction.do?search_criteria=&zip_code=&st art_date=20040130&start_time=2000&time_zone=pst&channel_type=all&category=00%2C0 1%2C02%2C03%2C04%2C05&year=2004&sort=viewer_channel&date_display=Fri+Jan+30&time _display=8%3A00+-+10%3A00&ampm_display=PM&timezone_display=Pacific&time_frame=&t imeframe_display=

Post Number: 11
Well, the feed started...but as history would prove itself I cannot get cbs east in HD even though I live in a broadcast area where cbs owns its affiliate station!!! I called DirecTV the night before the Super bowl and they kindly told me that in the Baltimore broadcast area, you need to send a wavier to your local station so they can allow you to tap into the DirecTV cbs HD feed from New York!!!! What kind of CRAP is this? And this whole process takes 30-45 days to complete...also your local station can deny you the feed from DirecTV!!!! According to DirecTV This is because your local station does NOT want you to see commercials from another area. I DO NOT CARE...I wanted the super bowl in HD, and DirecTV left this little 2 month long waiting detail out!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do I have this funny feeling that the local cbs in Baltimore will deny me!!! Also I live over 30 miles from the broadcasting towers, so if I do get denied, CBS in Baltimore can send one of their maintenance man to my townhouse and install an antenna 30 feet up on my roof!!! Any one had this problem with DirecTV? Or their local affiliate?

Unregistered guest
When will my area 62450 Olney,Illinois, be able to sign up for local stations?

Bronze Member
Username: Roscoe

Post Number: 11
WUSA (CBS) in DC NEVER approves waivers. I just put up an antenna tonight, but I am still torqued over that stupid policy. CBS goes to all the trouble to be competitive by broadcasting in HD and the local affiliate says "nope, you can't have it". I sent a nasty gram to CBS but I know it will have no effect except to make me feel better

By the way, the DirecTV ad about CBS and the Superbowl in HD specified selected markets only, and proceeded to list them (did not include Baltimore or DC). The selected markets have balnket waivers in place. DirecTV seems to thinks that the waivers are easy. I also sent them a note that basically said that the local affiliates are driving folks to cable by denying DBS customers access to their HD sugnal.

Bob R
Unregistered guest
I don't watch WUSA anymore because of their selfish policy. It would be one thing if they could argue that their feed was a good as the national HD feed, but they're not comparable. I also complained to the FCC and wrote my Congressman. It didn't change WUSA's policies, but it made me feel a little better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us