Sony vs toshiba picture ?

Anonymous

I just bought the Toshiba 32HF73 and have it set up receiving digital cable from Brighthouse via RCA lines (the Brighthouse DVR doesn't have component out). It also receives DVD input via component lines.
I'm very disappointed. The picture is "soft", the white lettering on-screen flickers, and the dark shadowy areas blend together.
I noticed this at the store but the salesman told me it was just not calibrated correctly by whoever set it up and that it'd be different when I got it home. Well, I bought that, and the $100 savings vs. getting the same size Sony (KV-32HS420) even though the Sony looked twice as clear, sitting right beside it.
The Sony skin tones were right on - not blown out & orange. The Sony text was a simple, clear opaque - not a glowing, vibrating white. And you can see the details of the fabric on a dark suit.
Completely different than the Toshiba.
So.. am I a sucker or what?
Shoulda read all the reviews first. Now that I looked on consumersearch, I see that others have commented on the Toshiba's "soft" picture before.
But the wierd thing is that on THIS forum, it seems the Sonys are given a hard time and other brands are recommended for their picture clarity.
I don't get it.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
cra2 "at" mindspring "dot" com

Anonymous

why dont u turn the toshiba in and get the sony instead. just go for what u like dont worry about the sales man. these people are just interested in selling the product what do they care. both the brands have a good name. the only question is what do u like..

Anonymous

I did.
I turned in the Toshiba.
BestBuy, btw, was VERY friendly and helpful.
They took it in with no restocking fee even though it was out of the box.
They gave a full refund and we picked up the Sony.
I plugged it into the DVD player via component and it looks AWESOME.
Much happier, though when I switch to the digital cable feed (from the Scientific Atlanta DVR) via RCA cables, it looks much duller.
Would switching from RCA to S-Video make that much of a difference?
Or is it the source (ie. Brighthouse Cable or the DVR it's passing through)?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us