Has anyone noticed any RPTV price increases?

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 59
I was browsing the TVs at Fry's on Saturday and I noticed they changed the price on the Sammy HLP5085. last month it was $3398, now it is $4199. As I was looking at it a salesman came up and said "if you want that set, I can give you $500 off, but it is for today only". What is up with that? Best Buy also raised the "floor" price from $3799 to $4199. They are offering $300 off on it. Also at Fry's the newest Toshiba 52" Dlp which was on the floor for $2999 and is now $3499. Same with the Sammy HLP5063 and the JVC HD-52z575. The Mitsu 52525 went from $3398 to $3999. Has anyone else notice such outragous mark-up on any of these RPTV sets?

Strati
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch,
All these "new generation" televisions are very volatile in price. I have noticed TV prices fluctuating up and down like the stock market, for over a year now; But not to the extent as you mentioned above. There are many factors involved. People don't realize that when gas prices rise it affects EVERYTHING in a big way. The barrel hit $53.70 today! What does that mean to you and me? Manufacturing costs are higher, shipping costs are higher, warehousing costs are higher, too many to even list. Another factor is supply and demand. Right now, demand is much higher than supply. I personally know a few key people than run some of the BB here in Toronto. They're biggest concern has been to fulfill their orders. They're taking orders knowing very well their warehouses are depleted. Televisions are not manufactured as they were in the industrial age. Each manufacturer deals with DOZENS of other manufacturers for the assembly of a single TV. Just look at Toshiba. They spent 100's of millions of dollars in LCOS technology and abandoned it because of the lack of raw materials and huge increases in manufacturing costs and thus went with DLP. Now when there's such a HUGE demand for the Texas Instrument Chips WORLDWIDE, coupled by higher manufacturing costs, guess what TI will do with their prices?! Ultimately, if the manufacturer pays more $$$ for these "high demand (monopolistic)chips", the retailer will pay more for these TVs and finally the biggest price will be paid by you and me, the consumer.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 60
Stopped by Fry's today on the way home. HLP5085 is now $3497. I think they raise the prices on the weekends.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us