Ideas for in-store evaluation of HDTVs' NTSC video rendition

Username: Garyk

Post Number: 1
I have been researching HDTVs and visiting stores; one of the things that really bugs me is that all of the stores use satellite TV services to provide content to their HDTV sets. This works grea to show off the great HDTV video. But when I ask for the salesperson to show me an NTSC picture, based on the idea that at least for the time being fully 80% of our viewing will continue to be non digital content, much fumbling around ensues and the picture presented looks pretty much awful.

Without exception the NTSC pictures shown contain lots of noise, sharpening artifacts, and other compression artifacts. The reason for this, I am told is analog signal degradation through (what I have think are poorly designed) distribution systems, and the MPEG compression that is apparently used by satellite carriers.

I have decided to simply bring a couple of VHS tapes with me and ask that a VCR be attached to a TV that I get serious about in order for me to see NTSC video that is at least of known quality.

I have to think that others are concerned about evaluating NTSC quiality. Does anyone else have any other ideas for getting decent in-store evaluations?

Gary K.

Bronze Member
Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 80
Gary,
I am not sure how many lines VHS will display, but I believe it is less than 300. This is much less than standard broadcasts.
-E

Username: Garyk

Post Number: 2
Eric K,

That is valid, but at least it allows me to view a video source of a quality (and lacking in weird artifacts) that is known to me. Also, a VHS tape will acceptably render onscreen type, thin items such as golf club shafts, albeit with reduced resolution.

Unfortunately, I can't thnk of another portable analog source that I could hand to a salesperson, and taking the word of a salesperson is not viable. Not that salespeople are dishonest; they may just be parroting what the sales manager tells them to say. Not that sales managers are dishonest; they may just be parroting what the store manager tells them to say. Not that store managers are dishonest; they may just be parroting what the store's marketing department tells them to say. no comment about the marketing department.

Gary K.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us