Optoma RD-65 DLP RPTV

Username: Jayw

Jacksonville, FL USA

Post Number: 1
Anybody thathas any experience with this set.
The reviews are great but so is the review of the set I am returning to the store.
Please...

An
Unregistered guest
what are you returning?

Jacksonville, FL USA

Post Number: 2
I would like to be descreet - I can just tell you that it is a 70" LCD RPTV.

Username: Bjenn1455

Harvest, AL USA

Post Number: 4
I'd like to know about this TV also. It's for sale at Costco's website for $3999. It uses the HD-2 chip with a 1500:1 contrast ratio. You can't beat Costco's return policy. If it EVER goes bad you can bring it back to the store and get a FULL refund. Don't have to worry about an extended warranty.

FL

Post Number: 3
I was considering the same.
I couldn't find any users reviews or response to my posting. I hope that it is either it is not as known as the "big names" or because most satisfied people don't get on the board (just human nature). So I ordered a set yesterday. No delivery date yet, but I will keep you posted.
If this set does not cut it -- I am back to the old and reliable CRT -- the Hitachi 65X500 is my choice, the only problem is that you can only buy it on-line, because the high volume sellers (CC, Sears) cannot even order it for me, and returns are very painful.

Username: Bjenn1455

Harvest, AL USA

Post Number: 5
Let know what you think. Are you ordering it on-line from Costco or somewhere else?

FL

Post Number: 4
Ordered it Thursday night (8/12) from Costco.
No delivery date yet.

FL

Post Number: 5
I received the set on Friday (8/27).
First impression, before I even turned it on was: whaoo... - very impressive presentation.
As I turned it on the color wheel was making a very disturbing loud sound. I thought to myself: "what a mistake". 30 seconds later the loud sound was reduced to about 30 percent, almost like something was controlling it to a much slower speed which was much more acceptable. As I learned later, that is always the process when turning the unit on.
So to the most important thing: The picture looks better than anything I have seen in the stores, including other makes of DLP or LCD RP. The almost absence of glare on the screen, which could have killed it due to the bright sunlight in the room, results in a very realistic image. Pretty quick I found myself watching a HD movie, that otherwise I wouldn't have watched. All the none HD movie channels on my Dish Network receiver looked also great. Local broadcast varied with the quality of the broadcast. I had to remind myself that I am looking at a "big!" screen, and need to be at least 10 ft away to give it a fair evaluation. Another nice feature is the memory of the settings for the various formats and memorizing three users video preferences. All this is on the positive side.
On the "not so positive": During the video adjustment, there is a blue, transparent, overlay on most of the screen, which makes it very difficult to see the effect of the changes while they are made. The remote control signals are unique and cannot be incorporated into the Dish 811 HD receiver multifunction remote (or at least I couldn't figure it). The user manual does not have many instructions in it. Most of it is "how to" and none of "when to". So you need to be on top, to really get the best out of this amazing marvel of technology.
Hopefully, my long-term experience will remain the same as my first impression.
I think that this brand, given enough exposure, would have taken a significant share of the HD market.

Unregistered guest
JayW
Hi JayW, Danceman325 here,I been looking for current feedback on the optoma tv's, specifically the RD-65, and now the RD-65H, but I'll get to the , H, part later. I glad to learn that another person loved the look and the picture of the tv. If you noticed the regular , or analog tv channels looked better than usual. This is due to optoma using the high quality DVDO de-Interlacer, which really improves the quality of both analog and HD programing , but especially the analog. If your wondering how I know this info, its because I've been researching this specific brand all summer, as I 'm going to shortly buy a true hI-Def set myself, and the front runner is optoma. I actually got to see the set, (7-9 feet), that set simply overwhelmed me. Even so I thought then and still do , that the picture was excelllent. I do have one important matter to share with you about the tv, that being , its NOT, HDCP capable. If your up to speed on the HDCP,(Hi-DEF COPYRIGHT PROTECTION), then you all ready know its a major problem, and the RD-65 is not , I repeat ,is NOT HDCP compliant. Please do no be fooled by the fact that it has a DVI input. One the brighter side if you will contact Optoma and ask to have a HDCP upgrade added to your set , they will,and can do this, may cost as much as 300.00 to 400.00 to do this. The bottom line is this , if you like or love this tv , please get the upgrade done. The newer set they are now releasing is the RD-65H. This set already has the HDCP circuitry
built in, of course its 300.00 to 400.00 more that the RD-65is. Food for thought.

Unregistered guest
JayW
Hi JayW, Danceman325 again, I forgot to mention, that the HDCP upgrade is , "on going", and I was told by the sales dept. that they could not guarantee long it would continue, so if your leaning towards keeping the set ,talk to them, www.optoma.com, as soon as possible. In responce to a email I read earlier , these tv's are typically sent to used by home theatre installers ,and therefore are not usually seen in the typical audio/video store. I live in Indiana and had to travel 2.5 hours into Kentucky just to see one , and I only got to see it then, because the person who had already bought it, needed to leave it at the store for a short time before he could have it delivered. Jay, your perceptions about the picture quality and the anti glare screen seem as acurate as my own. If you have any more insights into how well you think the optoma will perform, good and bad, please pass them along to me. I would sincerely appreciate it.

FL

Post Number: 6
Hi Danceman, Thank you so much for the useful information.
Is the HDCP compatibility the only difference between the RD65 and RD65H?
I don't mind adding the capability to my set, but if there is more to it, I can return it and order the new one.

FL

Post Number: 7
Just checked with Optoma. This is the only difference. Upgrade (including installation) is $400. FYI

brianh
Unregistered guest
It sounds like the 65" DLP is a good performer, but does anyone have experience with the Optoma 50" plasma? How does it compare to others on the market. I have heard from a reliable source that it looks great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us