MITSUBISHI OR SAMSUNG HD2+ DLP

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through September 06, 2004david payne100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

kb
Unregistered guest
I have the 62 and sit about 10 feet away . The picture is amazing even with SD.

Username: Okbulldog

Post Number: 3
Do you think the tv being 36 inches high at that distance is a problem?

engco431
Unregistered guest
don't think the height would be too much of an issue - the standard base is about 12-14" high, but there is very little fade for off-axis viewing - you might feel like you're looking up at it a little, but the picture shouldn't suffer much, if any, especially being about 10' back.

engco431
Unregistered guest
don't think the height would be too much of an issue - the standard base is about 12-14" high, but there is very little fade for off-axis viewing - you might feel like you're looking up at it a little, but the picture shouldn't suffer much, if any, especially being about 10' back.

CALI
Unregistered guest
I keep reading that you can upgrade the software of your TVs like upgrading the software of a computer. How you do this? Through the cablecard slot? Can you upgrade if you only use the HDTV box? Do you need to have any special slots?

Post Number: 4
Hey ENGCO431, WHICH DO LIKE BEST? THE SAMMY OR THE MITS DLP? AND WHY?

Username: Oscar

Post Number: 1
Mitsubishi 52525, I just bought this TV today and it will be delivered on Wednesday. When I looked at the TV at a local Home Theater store it was in a dark room so I didn't notice the glare, should I have waited for the 52725? I guess I can wait and see how bad the glare will be but just wanted to get some opinions. Is there a set date when the 725 will hit the stores? Is the screen that will be available for the 725 be available for the 525? I paid $3500 for my 525 but I imagine that the prices of the 525 will drop once the 725 comes out.

I also purchased the Samsung DVD-HD841, is this a good DVD player that will compliment the 525 or 725?

Username: Garyk

I have tried to discern a meaningful diff among the HD2+ offerings as to PQ and cannot. I think it comes down to styling and inputs/outputs. Thus, I prefer the Mits 525. However I am going to wait until the anti glare screen model ships. Also, I think the Mits does 1080i, whereas the Sammy does 720. Is this correct? Not 100% sure.

Gary K.

Username: Benintx

The bright green shadow only occurs with NTSC signals, HD is ok. Mitsubishi is aware of the problem, but doesn't know the cause. The new exchange set has the same problem with bright green shadows. It looks like a ghost shadow that shows as green with certain foreground/background combinations, such as skin tones next to blues. Perhaps the ghosting is only with certain colors, which can combine with certain backgrounds to make green. This may be why HD looks ok, i.e. no obvious ghost images.

When Sears contacted Mitsubishi, they were told I'd need a new chassis. I wonder if it is new hardware, firmware, etc. that fixes the issue. For now, I went into Setup, turned Auto color off, and turned the "green" down several steps.

I'll chat with Sears tomorrow, just to keep the issue alive, and to be sure I'm not forgotten.

kb
Unregistered guest
David P. I bought the 62 inch Mitsu. Originally I placed it on a 30 inch stand. The picture from 10 feet away was compromised by the angle. It seems you get more picture "fade" vertically than horizontally. One solution is to place something under the back of the TV to tilt it. I tried this and it works but if the angle is too steep, then the bottom front panel gets too much pressure and will pop off. I finally went out and bought a bench that is 18" tall, 60" long and 16"deep. Perfect heigth for this TV. For the 50 inch, I imagine you can go a little higher but probably not much more than 24".

Bronze Member
Username: Cubsfan

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 22
DLP Rocks,

My set was shipped with the contrast max'ed too. I turned it down to 33 and turned down the color to 26.

J.D.

MCN
Unregistered guest
Great thread here.
I'm looking at DLP's and will get a 50-52" DLP. Was leaning toward the Mitsu, but now see that Toshiba and Panasonic have DLP's. does anyone have any comparison of the Panasonic and Tosh to the Mits? The salesmen knew very little about the Panasonic, except he thought it was HD2 and not HD2+. If so, is there that big a difference in HD2 and HD2+?

engco431
Unregistered guest
david...
with regards to mits vs. sammy, i can't really give much of an objective opinion. The store i work for doesn't carry sammy, so i don't have very much information or experience with them. I can testify to the track record we have with mits - of the product lines we do carry, mits has been rock solid in comparison with regards to quality and standing by their product. They are the highest volume line we carry, and we handle the full array from silver to diamond in crt's (not just silver and gold like many chain stores), and all dlp, lcd, and plasma models. We are a small, locally owned company, and we provide a very high level of service - we install, not just deliver - so we only carry product we can stand behind. As i said, i'm biased due to lack of experience with sammy...that clear, i'd go mits all the way (and mine is on the way!)

LG
Unregistered guest
I Just purchased a Toshiba 52hm84 and I am extremly happy with my purchase. I purchased it at best buy and got them to give it to me for $3049.99. I purchased the extended warranty however I returned it today because I found out that my Visa card covers the TV for 2 years. The BB rep told me the warranty was only for 90 days on labor however after contacting Toshiba I found at that Labor was covered for 1yr. The picture is great and I am extremly happy with my purchase.

I had a question in regards to the HDMI input. Right now I have cable service thru Comcast and hooked up using Component Video. Would I be able see any picture improvements if I used the HDMI input?

Post Number: 5
ENGCO431, ON THIS SITE I CONTINUE TO READ HORROR STORIES ABOUT THE MITS62" AND THE SAMMYS...LIKE HAVING TO REBOOT OR THE GREEN COLOR AROUND PEOPLE..SINCE YOU CARRY THE MITS WHAT POROBELMS HAVE YOU SEEN..

engco431
Unregistered guest
we have had one 52525 dead in the box (likely due to shipping damage - a stand, mb52525, that came on the same truck was beat to death.) Other than that we haven't seen anything causing problems. We've set about 20 of the 525's so far.

I'll be sure and ask the other installl crews today if they've noticed any of the green halo's - that's something that might have not made a big enough ripple for me to hear about it.

I'll report back later this evening if i find out anything today.

Post Number: 6
ENGCO431, Thanks for your help..what is your take on the lcos sets compared to dlp?

Tye
Unregistered guest
I purchased a wd52525 about a month ago from sears, and the problems other are having, I have not experienced. I have'nt even adjusted the color. Right out of the box everything has been fine.

engco431
Unregistered guest
they look awesome, but the one's i know of are quite a bit more expensive. I don't see the quality being proportional to the cost difference.

on the green halos, one of the other installers remembers one instance where basic cable produced green shadows, but they blamed it on source...the other sources (hd sat, dvd, off air digital) looked fine. the customer didn't have any problem with it (likely because directv will be adding our local market networks at the end of this month - the customer will probably ditch cable all together at that time) anyway, that's the only instance that came up.

Scags
Unregistered guest
Can anyone confirm that Mits will make the anti-glare diamond shield available as an after-market part for the 525 series? I'm getting conflicting reports from clueless salespeople. Avail for 62" AND 52"? Are they easy to self-install?
Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on the 525 while Mitsubishi is offering 24 months no payments no interest (thru 9/13) and fix the glare issue later... or wait another month for the 725. Many thanks for this informative thread!

Bronze Member

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 25
Just a quick update on my Mits. was able to watch college football and a cubs game in HD yesterday. My wife is afraid I'll never leave the house! The PQ is amazing with this set, I could not be happier. Speaking of happy I want to share my success with the Harmony series of remote controls. I was using the remote that came with the Mits and it worked fine, but my wife and young son had trouble getting used to having to slide the device selector switch to turn on the AVR or other device. With the Harmony I have it setup so all they have to do is push one of the activity buttons and everything turns on at once and starts playing. I know this is possible with a lot of remotes but what makes this better then the rest is the easy to use auto web setup. It took me less that 30 minutes to have every part of my system working including some stuff that only I'll will ever use. If members of your family have trouble with getting all of the devices you have working I highly recommend the Harmony remotes, you can pick them up for under $150.

Post Number: 7
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE DIFFERENCES WILL BE BETWEEN THE MITS 525 AND THE 725..I KEEP GETTING DIFFERENT ANSWERS....THANKS

Paul B.
Unregistered guest
I have just purchased the Mitsubishi WD 62525. It is set up in a room without a lot of windows and the picture quality is great even with the glare screen left in place. Straight out of the box....before using VE or Avia to set it up, the picture is awesome and the colors are very nearly perfect. The picture is as good as the one on my ISF calibrated Hithachi 57XWX20B (57" CRT). Even with analog cable signals, there is not a lot of video noise. With digital and HD cable signals the picture is perfect. The blacks are surprisingly good which makes DVDs and HD source material look
3D as they should. I initially used a DVD player with progressive scan and component output. The DVDs look great but you can see some video noise with older source material. With digitally recorded DVDs, (Attack of the Clones) it is perfect...no video noise at all. With the Samsung HD-931 using the DVI output (converted to HDMI), I have achieved Nirvana! The remote is OK and the onscreen menus are easy to negotiate. I have not even played with the six separate color controls yet but it looks pretty close to correct out of the box. I highly recommend this set.

kb
Unregistered guest
david, I called Mits customer service about a week ago and was told that the only differences are the anti-glare screen and the design/color if the front.

On another note, I just purchased the Tosh DVD/VCR with the HDMI only to find out that it won't upgrade the signal to 720p on a copy right protected disc. What a croc! Not sure of what benefit it is. . .does any one know?

pcb
Unregistered guest
Regarding the green effect and other odd color things some folks have posted, I wonder if that's the same as the "rainbow effect" that I've read about. Seems that is unique to DLP systems. Apparently around 20-30% of folks can see it (to some degree) and other folks don't notice it at all.

We're pretty close to a 52525 purchase - compared it to the samsung hlp5063, and the 52525 won out - a sharper picture. Really nice blacks. Someone else's post mentioned the sammy as being a "softer picture" and I'd agree with that. Probably won't wait for the 527 since I can just pop off the 525 screen anyway.

pcb
Unregistered guest
RE: the 52525, we're currently on cable here but will ditch that and get directv when the new TV is ordered. Can't get any HD on cable where we live, but with directv we can get the denver local channels including whatever they do in HD.

FWIW

engco431
Unregistered guest
for jamie...
you mentioned having trouble remembering to slide the switch back and forth...with net command set up properly (and the emitters in place) you DO NOT MOVE THE SWITCH! You change the remote to NET COMMAND mode (code 935) and go with it...whatever device you are watching the remote will control - you can also turn on or off the transport menu that appears on the screen...net command is confusing until you've seen it work properly, then it's a dream (we call it a "wife pleaser") Given, it doesn't have the power of most decent universals, yet it is easier than even some of the best macro capable remotes.

Not trying to knock you're harmony...that's a good remote...just thought i'd pass along a way to save a $150!

Username: Benintx

Followup: The new 62525 has the same issues as the first one. i.e. green aura at edges of some images (related to abutting color combinations) and the routine system freezes.

Sears called today to let me know they had a new chassis, if I wanted to try that repair too. Since I'd already swapped a unit out without any improvement, I wanted to know more before I wasted a 1/2 day for onsite service. I asked if the new factory fresh chassis had the same software/firmware, and I was told yes. I was told that is the exact same chassis as in my first set and the exchange set. I brought up the issue of a newer firmware/software upgrade, and Sears told me they asked Mitsubishi about that, and there IS NO NEW FIRMWARE OR SOFTWARE. Sears went on to say that Mitsubishi again confirmed they are aware of the green problem and don't yet have a handle on the cause or a fix. Mitsubishi could only suggest that I adjusting the colors manually to minimize the effect. (Note: this isn't the "rainbow effect" in some DLPs). Sears is keeping an open service ticket on this issue for me, and wants me to give them a couple months to see if they can work it all out. Since this is ONLY an issue with NTSC signals (HD, DVD, etc. are fine), I'm tending toward waiting it out.

In the meantime, I'm going to drag Time Warner Cable out here one more time, but at last check a couple months ago (during roadrunner install) everything was ok, including the particular outlet I had them check.

Grady
Unregistered guest
I have had the Mits 62525 for about 5 weeks. It is awesome, very happy with it. Couple of things, it did lock up once during the NetCommand set up process, has not locked up since.
My net command will not power off my DVD and SAT when I switch between them, only when I turn off the TV. When I switch back it powers off when it should power on. Small inconvenience however.
I just removed the glare screen, made a huge difference, can leave the lamp on now. Not an easy process, had to really manipulate the credit cards in the slots and use some muscle to pull it free from the top. I would love to hear an opinion on the new glare screen as soon as someone gets a hold of one. Overall, very pleased, especially with DVD playback. Will get a scaling player with HDMI soon to see if it gets better.

CKRIII
Unregistered guest
GREEN SHADOWS. Ben, and others. You may want to read the two posting strings titled "Major Sammy DLP issues" and "Big Samsung DLP Problems". Gene Smith and others have some great info on the out of sync experiences you are having. Most of the out of sync issues mentioned are related to improper input/output settings to the TV. It is curious that most installation techs mentioned, knew very little or nothing about this. I found the topic strings very helpful for setting up my resolution inputs for each source. As Gene Smith put it so well, almost all sync issues are source related and not the TV. It is especially curious that HD works well and HD/DVD are fine. This is mentioned in a few of the set up fixes.
Hope it helps.

Bronze Member
Username: Bajanbeef

Post Number: 14
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I HAVE DECIDED TO STOP WAITING FOR SAMSUNG WITH THEIR BACK AND FORTH STORIES ABOUT A TABLETOP VERSION OF HLP 50/5685W. AFTER VIEWING MANY TVs INCLUDING THE TOUTED JVC D-ILA (HD52725) AND THE MITSUBISHI WD52525 WITH IT'S GLARE-ARAMA SCREEN, I HAVE SETTLED FOR THE PANASONIC PT 50DL54. ON BOTH DAYS THIS TV WAS SHARPER THAN THE PEDESTAL. STANDARD DIRECT TV VIA S VIDEO IS PRETTY DARN GOOD. FORGET DVD, IT'S LIKE 3D AND CLOSE TO HD ESPECIALLY ON ITS VIVID SETTING. AND THIS IS VIA COMPONENT CABLES. I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL I GET HD. THE BLACKS AND ALL COLORS ARE LIKE CRT OR BETTER (THANKS TO HD2+ AND 8 SEGMENT COLOR WHEEL). LAMP RATED AT 10000 HOURS. FAN COOLS LAMP FOR 1 MINUTE UPON SHUTDOWN AND IT IS QUIET. SAMSUNG WENT BACK TO HD2 AND MODIFIED IT FOR ITS 5674W. IT IS NOT EVEN A GEN 4 ENGINE. IT IS 2000:1 COMPARED TO PANNYS 2500:1. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY DECISION. IF YOU GUYS WANT TO WAIT AROUND AND TRY TO JUSTIFY BUYING A MITS, FEEL FREE.

KWV
Unregistered guest
Ultimate Electronics called me today and told me that my Mits 52725 arrived in St. Louis today. I will be going to pick it up on Friday morning (9-17-04). I have been wiring my living room for my Bose Lifestyle 48 system that I bought with the TV. Hopefully I will have both systems up and running by Friday night. I can report back maybe Saturday if anyone would like me to.

Anonymous

KWV, Please do. I'd like to know how the picture is compared to the 52525s you've seen. I know it's hard to make a comparison when one's in a store, and one's in your house, but I'd appreciate just some general feelings on the difference the new shield makes.

Anonymous

I purchased the mitsu 62525 a couple of weeks ago. Personally, I can't see what all the fuss is about with regards to the glare. The picture is fantastic!

Bronze Member
Username: Hyperdoc

Post Number: 13
Samsung just lost another. I pulled a trigger on the Mit 52725. Had Ultimate Electronics unbox their first one so I could see it. The glare was a lot lot less although there is still some glare. Fact is that glass screen makes the picture much sharper (realistic) as compared to the other DLPs I have seen. The 725 has an all black trim that makes it look a lot better than the 525 and the Sammys.

I have been waiting a long time for the 5674 and got tired of waiting. When specs on 5674 seemed to drop and I could finally see the 725, I decided the smaller 52 with more features was going to be better for me. By more features I mean - better PIP, firewire, net-command. So I give up 4 inches and give up a DVI output (the sammy has DVI and HDMI output). I think the get it now, better specs, and firewire make it really worth it.

I have owned multiple Mit SD TVs for 20 years and they have all been good. I guess I stay a Mitsubishi customer. Hope this new technology keeps me as happy as the prior technologies.

FYI: Ultimate has just recently started providing a maintenance plan that offers bulbs. It works like this: 5 year TV warranty (Mitsubishi really covers first year). Bulbs are covered for 3 years (Mitsubishi really covers first year). Have right to extend bulb maintenance for another 3 years at end of 3 years for $150. There is a 2 bulb limit on each of those periods. Supposedly mit bulbs are $200. I bought the maintenance because such new technology. Supposedly get half maintenance back as credit if don't ever use.

When I take delivery and get setup I will let everyone know what it looks like in the house.

CraigS
Unregistered guest
Ben, the lockup of channels is mentioned on the very last page of your manual. If you call Mits they will send you, at their expense, a software patch to upgrade your software. I called and they UPSd in two days. I loaded the upgrade and everything is fine.

I haven't seen the green you refer to one bit. I did have a halo red/blu/green eggshaped patch in the middle of the screen which is visable during very dark scenes (Kill Bill Volume 2, burial). Mits contacted local service for me (imagine that!) and they called Mits right from my home. They determined that the light engine is misdirected and ordered a new one to be replaced.

I cannot say enough about Mits service. They are more than responsive and very considerate of the fact that DLP is a developing technology. As I said, they found the technician for me and made all the arrangements. How often does that happen in today's retail world.

I LOVE THIS SET! I LOVE THE PICTUER! AND... again, unlike the Sammy, you can expand 480 DVD pics to eliminate or shrink letterbox bars.

CraigS
Unregistered guest
Oh, and Ben you might surmise that I'd give up on Sears. Call Mits directly and have them find you a technician in your area that they like to work with.

CraigS
Unregistered guest
Mitsubishi Direct: 949-830-8364 Don't use the 1-800 number; they don't know anything.

JWS
Unregistered guest
Jim, How much was the Ultimate 5 year warranty?

Getting close to getting the Mits 725. An audio dealer I've been talking to about some Naim equipment swears by a DLP called Articos (Loewe) from Denmark or somewhere. Anyone hear of that?

Any latest news on "real" prices for the Mits? Thanks for a great thread everyone...

Username: Wildpanda86

Where in Southern California can I get the Mits 725? I know it is already shipping because there are some people that just received it, but they are not located in Southern California. I don't want to wait for the estimated delivery dates that Goodguys and Tweeter are telling me... which they say in a nother couple of weeks. I also went to a Mitsubishi dealer & they said that they will not get any 725's until they sell all of there 525's.

On the other hand, where can I get the 525 that will allow me to return it when the 725 comes out... Tweeter? Magnolia HiFi?

I guess I am getting impatient cause we already have a place in the family room for it... we have all the AV furniture, the nnew Denon 3805, a Denon DVD player, and all the speakers all hooked up to a tiny little 27inch Sony that is more than 10 years old sitting in the spot where this TV will be.

thanks

j lewis
Unregistered guest
I have the Mits 52525, I have the problem of tv not responding to remote and front panel controls. My frequency with this seems to be more than the norm. I have had no luck with upgrade software. Mits customer serv is sending another to try. The problem seems to occur when watching HD. I think it is cablecard related, does any but elsehave the same symptoms?

WW
Unregistered guest
I'm ready to buy a Mits 62525 and a Directv HD Tivo which has an HDMI output. The store says it's better than any other HD receiver available and must be setup with the HDMI connection (not component & dolby digital). I have a fabulous Pioneer Elite A/V system which they say should be used with output from the Mits, not directly from the HD Tivo.
Has anyone had any experience with HD from Directv, a Mits DLP and an audio/video receiver?
Is it as good as claimed? Any suggestions?

Bronze Member

JWS:
I think it is 549 list. I bought 725, HD Tivo, Cables, HD Antennae, Off Air Antennae, and the warranty. We did a lot of dealing so what the number really is on maintenance I am not sure.

Again a package deal but I got the TV for about 3580.

BiteTyson
Unregistered guest
Wow, great thread! I have a WD-62725 on the way and can't wait for it to arrive. One thing I wrestled with was what sort of stand I wanted to put it on. I was looking at the BDI Icon series stand and then decided I wanted to put the TV in a more formal room. My wife and I started looking for some video credenza furniture pieces and were extremely impressed with how neat they were. We found 3 different wood stands: 1 from Hooker furniture (http://www.imagecraftersinc.com/wood.html), and 1 from Diamond Case Designs. I was just about to buy the Hooker piece until I realized that it was 36" high! DLPs have vertical viewing issues and so you don't want to place it too high. I canceled our Hooker plans and decided to go with a Diamond Case stand:

http://www.diamondcase.com/Evolution/Evolution_HTML_Files/E87.HTML (this was my favorite but I didn't have the wall space for it)

http://www.diamondcase.com/TT/TT_HTML_Files/TT400.HTML

The only thing I'm worried about at this point is my viewing distance to the TV. I'll be at around 10-11 feet from the TV. I hope that isn't too close.

Finally, I'm a bit worried about the green shadow experience Ben Thompson is having. I too will have Time Warner cable and will most likely be watching a fair amount of NTSC. I'll be sure and post my experience once I get everything setup.

bitetyson
Unregistered guest
engco431,

One quick question I had for you: I have my 62725 on the way and am planning my setup. I currently have an Onkyo TS-DS575X receiver (it's about 2 years old) that does not have component inputs. Do you think I would need to get a new receiver with better video inputs or could I just use it for audio and rely on Net Command to give me my video switching? I'm planning on having XBOX and PS2 along with a computer and Tivo and DVD player in my system. I presume Net Command can handle all of these sources.

Any thoughts?

Goodguys in City of industry finally got the 52725!!! We went to go check it out & where very hapy with the picture. SO we ordered it, and it scheduled for delivery by monday. YEAH!!!

JWS
Unregistered guest
Jim,

Well done on the dealing! Just to help me gauge - I'm assuming that the price there did not include taxes, delivery, or the stand, but did include those other things you listed. Is that right?

I was looking at a package for TV, stand, taxes and shipping (no warranty), for about $3600. All in, it seems about the same ballpark with different items...

Hope it's working well!

JWS
Unregistered guest
Jim,

Well done on the dealing! Just to help me gauge - I'm assuming that the price there did not include taxes, delivery, or the stand, but did include those other things you listed. Is that right?

I was looking at a package for TV, stand, taxes and shipping (no warranty), for about $3600. All in, it seems about the same ballpark with different items...

Hope it's working well!

BIGJAKE
Unregistered guest
I WAS WONDERING WHAT PEOPLE ARE PAYING OR BEING QUOTED FOR THE MITS 52725? I WAS QUOTED $3590+TAX+FREE DELIVERY NO EXTENDED WARRANTY AT ULTIMATE ELECTRONICS. GOOD PRICE? THANKS

KWV
Unregistered guest
I hooked up my 52725 on Friday afternoon. I am very happy with it so far. The best SOURCE resolution I have been able to watch on it yet is a progressive scan (480P) DVD. I have DirecTV but do not have a HD receiver yet. I need to get an antenna hooked up as well so that I can get my local broadcast channels in HD too. The screen is better than the 52525. However, Mits should call it a REDUCED glare screen rather than an anti-glare screen. It still reflects images, but they are a "darker" reflection. For my setup it appears to be very acceptable as long as I have all major lights in the room off. Ambient light that enters the room from adjacent rooms and the room it is located in does not seem to cause any problem with my viewing pleasure. I paid $4000 at Ultimate Electronics for mine. BIGJAKE, which SPECIFIC Ultimate Electronics store quoted you $3590? I'd like a phone number if you could give it. I'm sure I can get a price match at my local store if one of their others is offering it for a lower price. They have a 60 day price match guarantee.

Username: Ok1968

A FRIEND JUST PURCHASED THE SAM HLP52. HE'S RUNNUNG A DISH THROUGH IT..I THINK DIRECT TV...ANYWAY, SAW A FOOTBALL GAME AND THE WHITE LINES SEEMED ROUGH OR JAGID. SAW THE HBO FIGHT IN HD...PEOPLES FACES SEEM TO PIXEL OUT SLIGHTLY WHEN THEY MOVE. JUST NOT REAL IMPRESSED! IS THIS AS GOOD AS IT GETS?

KWV
Unregistered guest
BIGJAKE,
Please read the last part of the previous message. Thanks

KWV
Unregistered guest
BIGJAKE,

Please read the last message. Thanks.

KWV
Unregistered guest
BIGJAKE,
You got the number for the Ultimate Electronics store where you received the $3590 quote? Thanks.

Anonymous

KWV,
I recieved that quote from the Ultimate Electronics store in Maple Grove,MN. The phone# is 763-420-5983.
THANKS

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
JWS:
I spent much more than 3580 but that was the number I spent on TV within a package. Point is I got the pricing because I was buying many different items in a package. So where they discount or don't discount pretty much becomes funny money.

Good luck on your negotiations.

JWS
Unregistered guest
Jim,

Thanks much.

JWS

Username: Bluecrayon

Folks, I've come across mention of a WS-52725. From what I could determine, the WS represents Mitsubishi's Medallion series, whereas the WD is their Diamond series. Can anyone comment on the difference between the two? Can't seem to track down the definitive answer.

Thanks!

Post Number: 2
Upon further research, it appears that the WD-52825 is the Diamond series.

Anonymous

Help...I am a novice about this stuff..Anyway I have a Mitsubishi 52 inch 52525 arriving tomorrow from Sears...Currently I have Direct Tv with a TIVO box hooked to the proper 3 pronged dish. I just called Direct TV to get HDTV hooked up and they are coming out on Saturday..My question is..will the built in HDTV receiver on the tv need to be manipulated in order for me to watch ESPN and other non-local shows or will it be scrambled as someone said might happen. Also does the built in need any sort of DVI cables as well...

Unregistered guest
Hey!Bigjake I went to Ultimate to see if i could get the same deal. but they said i needed a copy of a receipt or name of sellsmen and # of place... if u could please email me at joelgua2002@yahoo.com or if anyone can please do. thanks!

JWS
Unregistered guest
Getting a little concerned about other threads saying it's hard to see both analog and digital (HD) signals out of cable box directly to set. This was mentioned more in the Samsung threads, but hoping not an issue in the Mits. Does anyone have an issue with the 725 when switching among different cable inputs (Charter has analog channels, digital channels, and HD channels). Thanks!!

KWV
Unregistered guest
Ultimate Electronics is selling the 52725 this week for $3779.95 (10% off retail). I got my local store to refund me the difference of what I paid for the set when I pre-ordered it a few weeks ago. That price should be good at all UE stores.

Unregistered guest
Need Input Fast!!! I am receiving a Mits 52525 from Sears in New York tomorrow. Got it for $3300.00 before taxes. Good Price??? Still Considering getting the 62525 or the 52725. I'm not to concerned about the glare because there isnt much lighting in the room. Sears wants to sell 5yr service contract for $700.00 dollars. Is that something I should purchase. Any recommendations for sound equipment because Sears salesman don't know anything. Need help quick, thanks.

Bronze Member

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 29
JWS,

The SD signals will not be as good as the Digital or HD, but it is very watchable. I don't think this has anything to do with the set, it is the signal quality. I admit I'm disappointed when I have to watch a Cubs games on a SD channel, but it is still a good picture. One key is making sure your have the best signal out of the cable box. Have your installer check the signal strength and if you need to buy a good quality signal amp.

BrotherNathan,

The price you are getting is good for the set but they are screwing you for the service contract.

Unregistered guest
I went by Ultimate Electronics yesterday and they had both the 525 and 725 series. There was a definite improvement over glare with the 725. It's not perfect, but not bad enough that I would want to take off the screen entirely (with the 525, I would definitely take off the screen). I personally don't like the styling of both the Mits. They look too old skool. The 725 has a more black front speaker area, while the 525 is more silver. Other than that, they look very similar, physically. As far as PQ, they were both superb. It was sitting right next to a Sammy 85 and the Mit definitely looked darker. Too dark, actually, which could just be the fault of calibration. In general, I was very impressed with PQ.

The styling is too much of a drawback for me, plus the expensive price tag. At least the Sammy 85 comes with a base for that price! Looks like I'm back to waiting on the 74s!

Maybe I'll do more research on the JVC D-ILA... when will the research end?!

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
I'm in the same boat neoikon. I'm looking at the 74 series. I've heard a rumor on avsforum of Oct. 22. Another problem I have is that the 52 inch Mitsu is a little small for my cabinet and the 62 too big. I thought the glare on the 725 is only a LITTLE better than the 525.

Another TV to keep an eye on - although I've told myself that DLP is the way to go - The Sony KDF60XS955 - Supposed to be a new kickass LCD out next month. GREAT styling and size for me and also has 2 HDMI inputs. Will have to see.... Wish Samsung would hurry up and be the leader again.

I think the JVC D-ILA looks terrible in my Ultimate Electronics. Terrible contrast.

CraigS
Unregistered guest
"When will the research end?" Probably never. I'm so happy I don't work in an AV store, at least in a big box store. The high end retailers know how to distingish between a serious buyer and tire-kickers who are on a never-ending research expedition.

Buy something - or at least try to leave these poor people who are trying to make a living alone. One can spend their entire life waiting for the next upgrade product. Truth be told, a purchase is most likely never made.

This string is old enough now and there is enough solid experience by owners of all DLP product to make a solid, educated purchase. The string should focus on owners and serious buyers of the DLP product. We all can be very helpful to each other; it sure has been so far.

JWS
Unregistered guest
Jamie,

Thanks for the info. The question had probably more to do with the number of input formats it could read, but the Mits works on all of those 480p etc. etc..

Advice - I have a chance at a great price on a 52725, because of a work relationship with Mitsubishi, but with some reservations. After tax and shipping, the price for a 52725 with stand comes to $3,713. However, that's just UPS dropping the box on the door, and no warranty beyond the one year.

It seems like a great risk/reward play - not sure if I can come close to this deal retail, but if a store wanted to add a fat extended warranty for themselves (500 or so), I'd probably do that.

Thoughts from those who bought or have priced this, (or work in a store)?

Jamie, I'm heading to Naperville tomorrow, unfortunately I moved to St. Louis, so Cardinals fans are having fun with us Cubbies fans...

Craig,

Agree, but these are have turned into somewhat large and complex transactions. Smaller than a car, but more complicated. But definitely nobody should be bothering folks in the stores without a clear intention to buy.

Anonymous

Just met the Mitsi rep at a major dealer in Oklahoma City. He was extremely good at answering my questions, many of which are in this thread.
I have reserved a WD-62725 which the store expects to be available by Oct 8-15 (2-3 wks). Apparently, the ink on the tech data sheets is still wet so I have a little apprehension about marketplace performance bugs on a new model. I remember a long time ago the fiasco with the IBM PC-AT (1985).
Dealer quoted me $4,229 delivered and set up. Price does not include the MB 62525 Optional Matching Base which I think he told me was around $325. Standard 1 yr in-home warranty with optional 3 yr service agreement.
I have been trying to evaluate DLP alternatives for almost a year. This thread and the Mitsi rep convinced me on the 62" Mitsi.
If I understand it correctly, there may be a shortfall of inability to set up pay-per-view and something else which I can live without.
I need to stay with cable sourcing because of the Broadband internet service (1.5mb T-1 equiv).
I think Mitsi makes a VCR and a DVD player (not combo) but I want a recordable DVD. Mitsi does not make (or a least market) a home theater sound system but I got a magazine that details some pretty high end stuff (Bose, etc).
Also, there is a furniture co call Hooker Furniture (great name) that makes an elaborate (and expensive-$4500)bridge cabinet specifically to fit the 62" model.
Again, this is a great thread.

Bronze Member

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 30
JWS,

St. Louis has been playing great, but I hope they get cold in the playoffs. As for your decision on the where to buy the TV. It needs to be your call, but I went with Tweeter because they take great care of their customers and sets like this are still pushing the technology. The first set I had needed to be replaced because the mirror bracket moved during shipping and I could see two small clips on the top of the set. Since I bought it from tweeter they replaced the set right away. If you buy direct they might fix it for you and sometimes that can lead to other problems. The best advice I can give you is see what the best price you can get on the set from Tweeter including the 5 year service and make your decision. One thing for sure is you will love the set no matter where you buy it.

J.D.

gilly
Unregistered guest
Why does everyone seem so set on service contracts? Is it really worth the cost? It seems to me that those are priced to make money and so in the long run you'd be better off not getting one. Any thoughts?

Hey. Just bought the 52725. Went down to Good Guys to take a look-- and was really impressed. They opened one up for me: out of the box, hands down, best picture I saw in their microdisplay section. (Although, I have to say: D-ILA is looking pretty damn good.) Got them down to $3477.50 as part of a package. $4546.00 all in: (cables, extended service, surge, delivery, tax.) They deliver and set-up tomorrow. Anti-glare makes a big difference-- still some glare, but worth it for that sharp looking glass screen-- makes the picture really pop. I dig the styling too, btw: black, glossy, simple. No distractions. Originally looked at the Toshiba, but couldn't handle the greyness and those damn speaker ears. Ugh.

Anyone else had the ongoing experience of dealing with sales reps who clearly know way less than you do about the television they're supposed to be selling you? Makes me feel guilty actually: feel like I need to play dumb so as to not offend them.

JWS
Unregistered guest
J.D.,

Thanks for the advice on Tweeter - not in St. Louis so again, a shipping vs. no tax tradeoff. I'm actually negotiating with Abt electronics - they're at just under 4.5K for 52725 with stand, delivery, 5 year warranty with one bulb replace. They treat folks well from my past experience, but are not local to me, so Ultimate is a maybe. Can't wait to finish to finalize the deal this week!!

Jason,

Thanks for the info and enjoy the set. It's got to be tough to be one of these guys when for any one particular item, it's easy for the consumer to quickly get more educated than the floor rep.

SLB
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know which TI chip is going in each model.. Mits 62525, 62725, 62825? HD3 or HD2+

gilly
Unregistered guest
Jason, I agree about the salesmen. I'll just act dumb so I don't make them feel dumb. Then I get frustrated because I hope to learn from them, but usually don't. There are definitely exceptions, but I'd say ignorant salesmen are the rule.

I picked up the 52725 for $3600 from GG without any extras (after doing quite a bit of shopping around). All I can say is I LOVE IT. There is no glare that I'm aware of (except when the TV is off). I was worried after reading these posts because there are some people who say they are disappointed with the 725s anti-glare screen. I have my TV in a room that isn't extremely bright, but there is a lot of light in here in the daytime with glossy white walls, and the TV looks great.

I like to hook up my Mac to it and watch TV while I surf the internet with the POP. Once I get my setup completed I'll post a picture.

For those of you that are constantly waiting for something new: you're going to be waiting forever. The computer age (and for that matter the TV age) is very young and the technological progress will never slow down, especially now - it's only going to accelerate for the forseeable future. So you might as well accept that whatever you buy won't be the best thing on the market in probably a year's time. I have my TV now, and I am enjoying it and loving it.

For anyone struggling with a decision, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Mitsubishi 52 (or 62) 725. Keep in mind that DLPs have limited vertical viewing angles so make sure you sit down when you look at a TV in the store so you can truly see what the picture looks like.

SLB
Unregistered guest
Gilly, how much verical limit are you talking about? Can the Mits62725 be placed on a 24inch stand without angling it and still have good PQ?

Loving the 725. A comment and and a few questions:

a)I have an XBox, with the MadCatz HD pack. Was tweaking it for hours 'cause in 480p mode the video had an annoying 'double-vision' effect. After hunting around I heard that the HD pack might be to blame. Picked up the Monster HD set and problem solved. Whew!

b) RE:Netcommand-- for whatever reason, it doesn't switch my AVR audio to DVD/VDP when I switch to that device. Everything else works fine. Anyone experience this?

c)The TV Speakers on/off radio buttons are greyed out in the audio-video menu (for every device) I'd like to use my tv speakers for certain configs... how do I get access to this? Anyone?

Your comments appreciated.

P.S.: Very happy with this set. Don't let glare issues stop you unless you have a lot of light sources in front of your TV. Seriously: the net result of the diamond shield is a BETTER picture.

Okay, answered c) myself: from the device menu, push audio to access the top right menu (AVR and TV), then select TV.

Post Number: 9
We have a bit of a problem with our set. It seems that when the Denon DVD2200 DVD player is turned on & set to progressive and hooked up via component video cables... only green, black, white, and purple comes out on the TV.

But when you turn the DVD player off and back on again the picture goes back to normal. The picture is also fine when the DVD player is set to progressive mode.

I hope that it is just the TV trying to recognize the progressive input... because the TV is under a service warranty with Goodguys & can prolly be fixed with a software update.

On the other hand, the DVD player does not have an extended service plan & is over a week past the 30day deadline to return... however it still has Denon's warranty, hopefully GG will let me exchange it.

I tried plugging the DVD player into another TV, but the other TV is interlaced so progressive does not come out.

Does anything similar happen to anyone else?

Everything is also hooked up via Netcommand as well.

gilly
Unregistered guest
SLB,

You'll be fine with a 24" stand.

The only reason I mentioned the vertical viewing angle is because I've found myself in stores standing directly in front of the TV and looking down at it which makes it appear darker. I've seen some posts where people have said they think other TVs have better picture quality and I just can't see how they come to that conclusion, so I figured maybe they were doing the same thing.

If you're thinking about getting the 725 I say go for it. This TV is absolutely awesome.

Username: Allene

I say if you are ready to purchase a DLP set, JUST DO IT. I have seen complaints from Captian Kirk stands to glare, to resolution, to picture, to waiting for 1080p(has anyone seen 1080p?). These DLP sets are good enough to be purchased today. Go into the store. Go many times. Look at the picture. Tell the salesman to get lost and play around with the features. Decide for yourself.

I purchased the Mits 52725 from Ultimate Electronics, Plano TX for $3999.99. Plus, $220 of free cables or power conditioner. I was going to buy the cables anyway, so you could say I got the TV for $3779.95 (At least, that is what the receipt shows). I also took advantage of the Mits offer of no payments or interest until 2006. Free delivery as a bonus.

This set was well worth the money. It has a single-sided coating of anti-glare. In case you were wonder...YES, I do have some glare. I placed the TV in my bright family room next to 9 foot tall windows. So far, no one has comlained of glare. Hint-Hint, don't say anything about glare and no one will notice. They will be too busy wooing over the picture. Even if I went for the Sammy, I think there will be an element of glare. The reason for purchasing the Mits was the HD2+ chip, table-top design and integrated Netcommand. Netcommand allows you to control all of your companents through IR emmitters supplied by the set. Now, I don't have to purchase one of those fancy remote controls. At least, not right now.

If you wait for the 52825, you get the double sided coating of anti-glare + DVR and a cool high-gloss paint job (wax not included).

Audiophile88
Unregistered guest
Thanks gilly, I am currently having a entertainment center built around the 62725. The Mits will be encased with 6in on the side and 6in on the back of clearance (plus angles from the DLPs design). Do you think there will be ventilation/overheating problems?

CraigS
Unregistered guest
This thing runs hot, not only with the set on with the fan cooling the light engine and lamp, but the hard drive runs 24/7 as long as it's plugged in. I've placed my 52525 on a 19" "cart" which I built from Metro Shelving and wheels from The Container Store (35" posts I cut down to size); it works beautifully. Personally, I would not place this unit or any DLP/LCD lamp set inside a cabinet without a good foot of rear clearance. Just my take.

Username: Oscar

Hardrive on a 525252? Am I missing something I thought the hard drive only came in the diamond version that has not been released?

Bronze Member
Username: Bestbuyguy

Post Number: 20
too many posts to read, but if you're under the impression that the MITSU has a TI chip in it, you're wrong. Mitsu, as far as i know, made their own chip, unless they gave up and the new models will have the HD2+ chips. Between the 2, i'd say go sammy. But have you seen the Toshiba DLPs? they rock. The mitsu DLPs have a very dark picture, i can't imagine they'd be good in even a somewhat lit room.

Username: Allene

Audiophile88, your right. With conviction, I am not sure about the HD2+ chip. It was just my assumption. I will keep the set whatever the chip is. I scanned through the owners manual and Mitsubishi does not specify HD3, HD2 or HD2+. However the manual does specify a DLP chip from TI, a 0.85" chip, 720x1280 pixels.

The basis behind the assumptions about HD2+ can only be answered by Mitsubishi. I will try to explain my observations and reasoning for my assumption; a subjective interpretation of what I see. I know for sure the WD-52725 is not using HD3. The WD-52725 pixels are oriented horizontal and vertical to the viewing pane rather than at 45 degree angles like the HD3 Samsung implementation. It cannot be assumed the HD3 orientation should be 45 degrees but I have only one vendor example to go by. Another fact. The die size is not 0.55". Second observation is close examination of the pixel spacing. It is very hard to make out the "screen door" or pixel spacing on the WD-52725. The older Samsung HD2 sets had a definate screen door or wider pixel spacing. Thirdly and observation of contrast. A side by side comparison with the HD2+ Samsung and the Mitsubishi showed very similar contrast. Conclusion, I am with observational confidence the DLP chip within the WD-52725 is HD2+, but you never know. Mitsubishi may have a Proprietary version of the DLP chip to compete with the other vendors. Maybe this is why Mitsubishi cannot specify what version DLP they are using. Maybe, Mitsubishi has contractual restrictions to mention the chip version. Who knows. Finally, there is a lack of concrete evidence of the Texas Instruments marketing name for the DLP chips. The White papers often refer to die size and resolution. When I searched the DLP and TI web sites, I never found any reference to HD2 , HD2+, or HD3. Or rather, it is hard to find. Are these self named chips just like fourth Led Zeppelin album? Or, when Prince (the R&B singer) renamed himself something we cannot read? Today, we still call him Prince and we call it Led Zeppelin 4. In the end, it is all subjective. Even when you listen to both artist play backwards on LP.

So why dwell on the techincal details? It is probably in our videophile blood. My post is to lighten the same ole mumble-and-jumble. Go an see for yourself. Play with the set and see if the features are something you are interested in. Compare a few sets. Make the saleman bend over backwards for you. Have him move the set to the front of the bright store windows with a 1080i feed. Then decide which is best. You will never be as happy as when the set is finally home. Whatever vendor or model you choose.

Username: Ezryder

Napa, CA USA

New here - Hi. I had a Mitsu 52525 - AWESOME PQ - best I've ever seen outside of Plasma, and really just as good. Unfortunately, it didn't fit in the new cabinet I bought and had to return it. The ONLY DLP HD2+ model out there over 46" that will fit is the Sammy 4674. A rep at Best Buy in Fairfield, CA, told me last night that a Samsung "trainer" told him that the current HD2 models, (I have the 46" version - can't remember the model #), can be UPGRADED for $200 to the HD2+, 4674, model. Samsung will, apparently, come to your house to do the upgrade, (total of $200 for upgrade and house visit). He sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He also said that he wouldn't expect to see the 4674 in the store until January - though they might be available sooner than that elsewhere.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I don't want to be stuck with my HD2 model if the HD2+ is coming out any time soon unless this upgrade story is totally verifiable. Thanks

Ecapt
Unregistered guest
I highly doubt this story. The HLP4674 not only uses a different HD2+ chip, but also a different light engine and new 7 segment color wheel. The HLM4674 actually is a 2003 model with a HD2 chip. I have the same problem with size issues and the Samsung Tantrus is my best option. All of the other HLP(2004) tabletop Samsungs use the HD3 chip, the Captain Kirk HLP5085 is the only Samsung out with the HD2+ chip. Magnolia Hi-Fi tells me the new Tantrus set will be out at the end of October. If you read around, there is a rumor that it will the release of this model will never happen and they will just wait until the first quarter of 2005 and release the same set with the built in tuner/cable card set up as a completly different model number. I have decideded to go with the Mits. 5275 instead and have it stick out from my enclosure over my fireplace by 4". I figure it will just look like a plasma up there instead of fitting flush.

Scott Smetana
Unregistered guest
Ecapt- I believe your facts are wrong.
The 74 series is not even out yet, so how could it be a 2003 model? Tantus (not Tantrus) is the nickname for the older thin bezel line. The new 74 series will have the HD2+, but only a 6 segment color wheel, not 7. It's possible this guy might be able to switch them, but I'm not sure I'd want someone inside the guts of my $4000 TV.

Post Number: 10
OK finally got my Denon DVD2200 issue with playing in progressive scan resolved... GG allowed us to return it and get a Denon DVD2910 which is the same DVD player, but with HDMI and DVI outs & plays in 720P.

So now we have a new problem. The Mitsu only has one HDMI input.

How do you hook up the HDMI DVD player & HDTV Direct TV?

Will HDTV direct TV still put out a 720 or 1080 signal via the component video cables?

Anonymous

I don't think there going to be able to switch it for $200. Your talking about adding another segment to the wheel, and having the mirrors adjust accordingly. And even if that could be done the biggest thing to improve contrast on the HD2+ is the two extra degrees tilt the mirrors give.

You should either wait for the new one to come or take a look at the new 44" Toshiba that will be coming out soon it has the speakers on the bottom and uses the HD2+ chip. You'll only be able to find it in select stores though. NO GG or BB.

Unregistered guest
Jason - Regarding your NetCommand problem (b), I had the same problem. I set up NetCommand with the default Denon receiver and could not get the DVD/VDP to recognize the correct signal. Since I have the AVR-5700 receiver, I reset it using the Other option which allows you specify seven of the AVR inputs and customize the name of each. Now NetCommand works perfectly.

One word of advice, set the TV Device to one of the card readers when you are setting up/changing NetCommand settings. This will avoid any conflicts with the AVR's input settings.

CraigS
Unregistered guest
Lizander, the only way you'll get a pure 720 is either utilizing the internal ATSC receiver with a terrestial antenna or by using the DVI output with an DVI>HDMI converter. Since the set has only one HDMI input, you'd have to make a choice between your DVD player and the Direct TV box. I will tell you that unless you are a very discerning viewer you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between the DVI/HDMI and using component video. If you had a direct-view 1080i Sony (I have the 34" Sony 510 as well as the 52525 and I can tell the difference on this set) or other direct-view then I'd argue for the DVI input. Check out CSI Miami using both the HDMI and the component input. I think you'll find either one more than fantastic. Fox (normally I hate all things Fox) but NFL Sundays on Fox are also an incredible source because Fox now broadcasts in 720p.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
CraigS,
What about the component inputs on the back of the TV? Above the inputs... it says 480i/480p/710i/720p/1080i. Does that mean that the component inputs can recieve a 720p input? If I hooked up the Direct TV via component will it be 720 or 480?

On the other hand... I don't think there is any true 720p DVD player, Don't they all just upconvert to 720P via line doubling? Doesn't the TV do that already? If that is the case maybe it may be better to hook up the DirectTV via HDMI and then the DVD via components. (On hindsight with this option maybe I should have gotten the older higher model Denon DVD2900 for $40 dollars more even though the output is 480P)

Maybe another option would be to bypass the cable box and just get a cable card for the TV. Will the TV recieve HDTV via cable? Will Mitsu release a software update to have menus when using cable/ direct TV? And this would free up the HDMI input for the DVD player.

CraigS
Unregistered guest
The truth is Lizander you can't get blood from a turnip and as you noted there is no HD DVD yet. If you hook up the DirectTV via component you'll get something less than 720 on HD channels, but most would be hard pressed to tell the difference. If you go direct DVI>HDMI you'll get your 720 or 1080i downconverted accordingly. I've gotten so many mixed words on the cable card I can't give you an honest answer from my perspective. But we're talking about DirectTV here right? I'm not aware that DirectTV has even proposed using cable cards. However, I don't have DTV so I don't really know.

So, the short from my book is hook up your DirectTV via DVI>HDMI and use the component inputs for your DVD player. The component inputs will take any resolution, but back to the turnip....

BTW, I live in Washington and have great access to OTA HD content from the networks and WB (if one is so inclined) in addition to numerous foreign language broadcasts. I have an LG 3410a hard drive HD receiver/recorder using the DVI>HDMI, expanded basic cable on the 1 antenna input and the same terresital antenna split for the LG for the antenna 2. CAVEAT: YOU CAN get HD in the PIP window IF you use an external HD source. You can't exchange the pic, but you can watch two HD sources at the same time. So if you hook your DirctTV box via HDMI (or component)and use an antenna to get OTA HDTV via the internal ATSC tuner, you're sweet to go for HD PIP. Pretty damn cool.

John r
Unregistered guest
Is there an LCD or DLP with with a native resolution for 1080i?

I noticed ALL the Sony LCD Wegas (XBR also) display in 788p or lower with res. of 1386 x 788 and these Mitsu's are 720P or lower (1280 x 720.)

None have the Native pixal's for 1080i? What happens to the 1080i?

1080i = 1,920x1,080
720p = 1,280x720
Wide-screen = 480p (DVD, EDTV) 852x480
Regular TV Up to 480 lines

Any additional thoughts on this issue would be great. This is thinking towards the future I would guess. I do not beleive there is even much input available at 1080i ? This is last detail leading towards a purchase (hopefully).

This thread has been most helpful, thanks to all for taking the time to contribute.

~ T R E,
NW of Chicago (have not seen anyone mention best location for deals in my area. The big boxes have a pretty tight wrap on our market, agree?)

Username: Greginca

None of the LCD or DLPs can display 1080i, in fact technically it would be impossible for one of these TVs to do so.

All of these LCD and DLP TVs are fixed pixel devices and therefore will only be able to display progressive signals. Only CRT TVs and a handfull of plasmas will display this resolution. Some manufacturers are working on 1080P MicroDisplays, but nobody's really sure when they'll be available or what the price will be. Also 1080P input signals we'll be almost non-existent.

But don't worry about these TVs not displaying 1080i, the 720P signal has it's own benefits. A 1080i TV displays 1080 lines of resolution, but it only does 540 at a time(540 the first second and adds the other 540 the next) so basically 540 every 60th of a second. 720P does 720 full lines every 60th of a second. 720p is much better for fast motion pictures like sports.

Napa, CA USA

I heard from Samsung corporate regarding the 4674, who told me "Unfortunately we don't have an exact date of release for this unit, it could be between October to January". They ducked my question on the upgrade of the 4663. I do see, however, that one of the e-tailers are now taking pre-orders and saying it'll be available "end of October".

donalds
Unregistered guest
I saw the Mitsubishi 525 and 725 side by side at Home Theatre and next to them an 525 with the front screen protector off. The 525 with the front screen protector off was the absolute best picture because of little if no glare. In my not so humble opinion, there was not a big difference between the 525 and the 725 with the anti-glare screen on it. Mitsubishi did a poor job with the 725 anti-glare screen. Samsung does not put an anti-glare screen on their DLPs and hence, little glare. Mitsubishi is also cheap in how the front of their cabinets open up. Plus very old style cabinets. Plus the switches will get dirty fast from dust. Now with all this said, I may end up getting the 825. I just have to decide if I want to risk taking the anti-glare screen off and have a chance that the screen behind it may get scratched up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Regarding the antiglare on the 725.
We have had our 725 for a couple of weeks. It sits in a very very bright room. We just had the house redone and the paint on the walls is very bright... both during the day and at night, but it helps the room to feel much bigger than it really is. The TV sits right across from 2BIG windows & 2 BIG sliding glass doors with nothing but white vertical blinds to block the sun. For this reason, I knew I did not want to go with the 525 because of all the glare I see in the showroom which is way darker than our room. The 725 seemed to have less glare in the showroom, but in our room there is very minimal (unoticeable glare) during the day & no glare at all at night with all the lights on including the recessed lighting.

I say try the TV out... if the glare still bugz you then return it. Other than that, the picture is just amazing!!!

Napa, CA USA

I can't find ANY 46" DLP's out there that will fit my space for it, except the 4663 Sammy. Why do the manufacturers, like Mitsu, not even HAVE a 46" offering?? (I'm dying to get a 52525 in a 46" version) Everyone seems to jump from 42 to 50". I want the most TV for the space I have - which one would think would be a common desire in the consumer - and most armoires could fit a 46" if it had a thin bezel and no speakers on the side. Now I'm stuck waiting for the Sammy 4674, which could be a 4 month wait.

I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and buying a 42" Panasonic PLASMA - for almost half the price of the 4674. I'm trying to figure out if there is any reason NOT TO, except the smaller size and the fact that it seems like a waste to stick a plasma in an armoire. I know about burn-in, but they have techniques to minimize that these days, (shifting pixels).

dontwanna bendover
Unregistered guest
I saw the 52525 at sears today. Is the 'protective screen' the whole peice of glass on the front? If so, what does it look like without it. It must not be a flush front anymore and the channel/rail/or clips that hold the glass must stick out, yes?

I think the glass front model's (this and the sony xbr's) look a bit clearer. the other's a bit faded? Anyone else agree, or is this just my style preference clouding my judgement?

Username: Vortexone

LIZANDER PANDY OR ANYONE..are you using digital cable or sat?....if cable, how do your standard channels look?..I know HD looks great but what about everything else?

NJMitsuDealer
Unregistered guest
dontwanna bendover,

The screen is removable, It's purpose is to "protect" it so if you have kids or pets leave it on! If not, Mitsu has a trim kit available for $50.

Bronze Member

DP,
We have not gotten the cable hooked up yet. Still trying to decide between Adelphia or DirectTV. But OTA HDTV is great!!!

Bronze Member

Naperville, IL Usa

Post Number: 31
NJMitsuDealer,

Can I buy the trim kit from you? What is the part number?

Thanks,

J.D.

a&m 350z
Unregistered guest
Forget about trying to upgrade to a 74 series if you already have a samsung. I tried to get them to do it on my HLN567 that has been repaired 4 times, and offered to pay to upgrade when it came out. They said no way and offered me a 63 series for which I politely declined. Will be going with Mits either 62525 or 62725. Any prices for the 62725?

Napa, CA USA

Yeah, I've given up on the idea of an upgrade to the 4674 from the 4663 I have. I have a few weeks left before I have to send it back to CC for something else, hoping the 4674 comes out soon enough, though it doesn't look likely.

Actually, I'm sorely tempted to go with a Panny 42PHD7UY plasma - 42" and HALF the price of the 4674. It's ED and not HD, but I don't really care that much, as long as the picture's good - and I hear it's fantastic - very much like HD. Unfortunately, I really need the extra 4", as a lot of my viewing is done from 18-28'. Long room with a kitchen at one end and the TV at the other. And, of course, most 46" and ALL 50" don't fit in my armoire. It's a tight fit for the 4663, but I like it like that. I had the 52525 Mitsu for a few weeks - it was awesome and it kills me that I can't get it in 46". Barring the glare-fest, of course, though I'd remove the glass. No kids to screw it up.

Username: Moelawn

Hello. I have five more days to decide whether to return my 4663 to CC and await the 4675. I see some spectacular color effects (I guess that's the rainbowing or the dithering or whatever it's called), but only on maybe three occassions in the three weeks that I have had the set. Sometimes I get a double image when I turn on the set, which goes away as soon as I change the channel. Still had that problem after I adjusted my Comcast box from the 1180 default to 720p. Someone at another site trashed the HD3 chip as being a cheapie and not "true HD" (maybe because not 1180?) The black frame of the 4674 will go better with our antique black ent. cabinet. I will try that reasoning on my wife. She thinks it will be a long time if ever before I can get the 4675 for the relatively low price that we paid for the 4663. When I don't see the 4674 next to it, the 4663 looks good to me.

Napa, CA USA

Looks great until you move a bit to one side or up or down a bit. Sitting on my couch, the set looks fairly dark because the set sits a little high in the armoire, for one, and the couch is too close and too angled for the other. I have a few weeks until I need to bring the 4663 back to CC - and if the 4674 is not out yet, I'll be getting a 42" plasma for a month and see how I like it. If it holds up - i.e.: the wife likes it - then I'll buy the 42PWD7UY Panny for just over $2k. If not, I wait a month with the plasma and pray the 4674 comes out. If not, I may settle for the Panny or go without a TV until the damn 4674 finally comes out. Starting to piss me off. IF it weren't the only game in town I'd be switching in a heartbeat.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
CraigS or anyone else that can help,
Two questions: First is it possible to hook up the HDMI coming out of the DVD player to the back of a Direct TV HDset top box then hook up another HDMI between the box and the TV? Second since the HDMI carries sound as well, would it be better to get the sound from the back of the TV via digital coax? or run 3 seperated digital coax cables to the AV receiver? (one from the TV, one from the Direct TV, and one from the DVD player)

BTW we have a Denon DVD2910 on order... got all excited cause I thought GoodGuys had them. They did but in the wrong color... we are still waiting for silver.

Anonymous

I can't decide between the mits 52725 or 62725 . Viewing distance will be at a minimum of 7 ft. to 11 ft. Anyone think the 62 inch will be to much for those at 7ft? How high should I place the TV ?

kb
Unregistered guest
I have the 62725 and my viewing distances are comparable to yours. Key is vert and horz placement so that the center of the screen is consistent with your line of sight. The "stand" I have is actually a dining table bench that is 18" high by 16" deep by 60 inches long. It works perfectly.

CKRIII
Unregistered guest
Well, I've had the Mits 62525 for a month now. I must say that I've been in AWE! There were so many things that I just did not understand (and so many that I still don't), even in reading all of the discussions in this forum. What I would like to pass along are some things that held me back from actually making the purchase.
The screen glare: My room is 28X24 with a balcony rec room overlooking it that is 21X24. Very open concept that is also open to the kichen eating area behind. We watch the TV from all of these areas. 14-16 ft above, 36 ft away at about an 8 ft eye level, 7-11 ft away on the couch. 24 ft away at 45 degree angle to the bar area, laying in front of the TV on the floor. There is a large aquarium behind the couch and an 8 ft sliding glass door 5 ft on the left of the TV. I have only had glare issues on a very bright sunny day when the sun reflects off the floor. I close the drapes, but actually you can see the picture fine with them open when sitting on the couch. Upstairs has reflection. At night, the aquarium shows up only during dark scenes in pics. I turn off the light if I am going to watch a long, dark movie. Other than those two times, I have not noticed the glare at all. This would not be a reason to hold you back on your purchase.
Cable card issues: I just had Comcast out again for what we both thought were cable card issues. WASN'T. It actually was the programming of the TV. Some how the Device Link was reprogrammed to "cable" instead of "cable card". The tech just got off of the phone and explained this to me. He also stated to call anytime and they would be glad to come out for their knowledge as well as ours. They are still learning and are happy to come out. I have received this same type of service 4 times from them since I have owned this TV. Twice they came out to put in an all new service line then re-wired part of the house. (New/old house-just moved) These guys are very excited about this new technology and seem very happy to come help. Even if it probably was my curios 13 year old with the remote...???
Picture quality: Mits 62525 w/Denon 1910 DVD DVI to HDMI convert. Wow! I just did not know there were so many different grades of HD. Source input, cables, devices, blah, blah... 480i, SD, HD... there are many grades of HD up to "true HD" for those of you who knew, great, for those who don't, it's not just HD and Standard TV. I never realized the grass was so long until the Boston/NYY series. Warning! (funny, but true) You will spend the first few weeks or more, just looking at the dirt, grass and details and miss most of the games, movies, etc...
A friend here bought the Sammy 52 and I the Mits 62. Neither of us have been disappointed in the least. TV viewing is as good, NO better, from anywhere in my house. HD viewing is well worth the plunge, hopefully it gets cheaper. I worry about bulbs, etc, because of what you guys have said, but I am glad I did it.
So, quit sitting on the fence and go get your damn DLP if you have the extra cash. It is a lot of fun.
Did you know that even cartoon characters have pores and bumps and stuff??? (Monsters Inc) I didn't.

Rikki5
Unregistered guest
Hi, new guy here. I'm in the market for a new big screen TV and have been doing my homework to learn about all the newest advancements. I've decided on the Mits WD52725, thanks in part to this thread. A lot of good info here, thanks everyone. I'm in Fairbanks, Alaska, and there's not a lot of stores to choose from to get a good deal. I finally got it down to $3,840 with him throwing in every concievable cable I would ever need and free delivery & setup. (That usually doesn't happen up here since I actually live about 25 miles outside of Fairbanks.) Since this site is all about sharing info, I also have some for all of you.

Anonymous: You asked the question about viewing distances. C/NET recommends taking the diameter (52" or 62") of your TV and multiplying it by 2 and then again by 3 to find the recommended sitting range for your set. You said your sitting range would be from 7'-11' so they recommend you get the 52" TV. The 62" TV is recommended for 10-15.5 feet. They say if you're closer than that , you won't be able to see everything on the screen. If you're farther, you'll lose some of the detail. The 52" TV's recommended viewing range is 8.5'-13'.

Jonathan: You are both right and wrong on the Mits having an HD2+ chip. I talked to a factory trained rep and he said it is actually an HD2+ chip that they TI gave them permission to modify. Normally, the mirrors on the Digital Micro-mirror Device (DMD) tilt up 12 degrees to show white and tilt 12 degrees down to show black. Mits had a better idea. Since white is white and we all know that black is not always black, Mits modified the tilt angles. On their chip, they tilt the mirros up only 10 degrees to show white and tilt them down 14 degrees to show a much bolder black.

AllenE: Good Eye!! You caught all of the trademarks of the HD2+ chip.

One other thing I learned from the rep was that another difference between the 575 and the 725 was the was the screen handles light. They call it "transmitivity." The 525's screen allows 94% of the light to be transmitted through it where the 725 allows 96.5 to pass through. It sounds like so little but what a difference! Side by side in the showroom, the 725 definitely has a much more "punchier" picture.

Username: Mldemeo

Riverside, CA

Hi,
I recently purchased a Mitsubishi WD-52725 and the info on this forum was most helpful in making the decision to buy the 52725. Here is what I can say about this DLP:

Picture - I have Charter cable and connected to an HD DVR via component cable. The HD content is spectacular. The non-HD content on HD channels is very good. Non HD content on Non HD channels has varying degrees of picture quality (fair to good) based upon the channel, content, etc. DVD's via a Progressive Scan player and Component video are excellent.

Glare: I have a couple of windows behind the couch I sit on. The windows are covered with blinds. During the day when the picture goes to a very dark scene, I can see some glare if I'm looking for it. Not an issue. At night, there has virtually been no issue with glare.

The fan at the rear of the TV, which I believe is used to cool the bulb, does produce a bit of noise. I purchased a piece of acoustic foam tile from a music store and installed it on the wall behind the TV. That seems to have helped deaden the sound reflecting off the rear wall.

When the TV is turned off, I hear what sounds like a fan on the right side of the TV. It is low in volume, but is present at all times, even if the TV has been turned off for hours. I'm not sure what the fan does though there seems to be a heat factor on that side. It may be a fan to keep the power supply cool. Does anyone else notice a constant fan sound on that side? If it seems to be a normal condition, I'll not worry about it. Otherwise, I'm going to contact Mitsubishi.

Mike.

Anonymous

If you read in the Owners Manual, it says that there is a fan that runs when the TV is off to help keep components cool. It's I believe on page 2 of the manual. I have the 62725 and hear it also.

CKRIII
Unregistered guest
I forgot to mention. I really appreciate the input from all on the site. Calling Mits on the 949-830-8364 Customer Relations number above, was one that we would have got to eventually anyway. You see, when you call that number (long distance, California), be ready to wait a LONGggggg time. After 35 minutes on Fri, 10/15, I gave up assuming I was trying to contact them after they went home and was on some looping recording device. I actually received a phone ring twice (1 ea), but no answer. On Monday I called the 1-800 number and actually talked to a human. They advised me to call the Customer Relations number for my issue. (New software update) When I called yesterday, I waited 17 mins for an answer and "Michael" answered and asked to help. When I told him what I called for, he asked for me to hold. 33 minutes later, he came back and asked if he could help? After I expressed my concern about holding for another 33 minutes, he took my info and stated that the software would be mailed "over night" the following day.
Point is: They will help, but be VERY, VERY patient in awaiting their answering the phone.
By the way, the message up front mentions phone reimbursement, but it doesn't seem available when you discuss it with the Rep. Luckily, I have tons of minutes on my cel phone plan!
Oh, and the 480i, black and white, and other "non-HD" viewing on the WD-62525 appears as good as my 32" JVC.
Hopefully the new software helps the slow channel changing and a few freeze ups that happen when too many buttons were pushed too fast.
By the way??? Did they fix the remote on the 52725??? I mean, why does the thing have to be so big? I have to hit the top buttons for channels, then contort to hit enter? Why? Who configured this thing, anyway?

sal mod
Unregistered guest
I have the 62725 paid 3800 +tax at pcrichards. Waited six weeks for the TV well worth the wait I thought, my first impression WOW. Then the rainbows started and once you see them you cant help but to look for them, very distracting not to mention the massive headaches. I have tried to look pass them and not move my eyes as much this helped a little but as soon as you lock on to them again aggravation. I am disappointed I don't know what to do this a beautiful TV great hi def but the bitc@ for me is the rainbows and this is not how I want to watch TV for the next 5 years or more. My wife noticed them once in a while no big deal to her my brother did not notice them at all, so this is definitely an individual thing but if you do notice them then DLP is not the TV for you. I also seen the green aura around certain things I also seen red, I will say this I have the cable card and a high def cable box hooked through the composite inputs and when viewing the same channel with the card and the box the picture with the card is were I notice the green not with the box so were does the problem stem from? I think I am going have to step back in time and go with a rear projection, Mitsu has a nice 65inch diamond series with 9 inch CRT's some say it as good as the DLP's? Any suggestions someone mentioned a new Sony LCD any info.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 107
Sal mod-

Sorry to hear about your problem with Rainbows. My wife is the same way. I really wanted either the Mitsu or the Toshiba DLP but she saw tons of Rainbows. I personally don't see them. We ended up getting the JVC D-iLA in part because it has a 3 chip system so it does not need a color wheel. No color wheel, no rainbows. It is an outstanding TV that we have been very happy with. The 61" can be found several hundred less than what you paid for the mitsu. I've heard the new Sony LCDs are pretty nice too, but I haven't spend much time with them. Good luck!!

KWV
Unregistered guest
I've had my 52725 for a little over a month now. I love it! However, my wife said that twice now, once after the television had been on for about five minutes and once after it had been on for quite a while, the color went away and it was displaying everything in black and white. She said it lasted for about 3 to 5 minutes one of the two times. Anyone else had this issue? If so, any ideas on what it could be? Color-wheel problems maybe? Thanks

Mr Rob
Unregistered guest
KWV - I have the 62725 and we have had the same problem. Determined it was not a TV problem but the Sci-Atlanta STB from Adelphia. Mine didnt come back, so I went through the STB setup again , and all was fine. I think these boxes have overheating problem that could be the root of the issue

sal mod
Unregistered guest
Mr. lynch
Thanks for the info I know this sounds sad to say but IM happy to hear your wife suffered the same problem because everybody who viewed the TV didn't see them. Does the JVC have convergence problems in the corners like CRT rear projections? I have read that some of the pixels either go dead or burn brightly have you had any problems? The new Sony modals are wf 655 and xs955 does anyone have any info?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 124
Sal Mod-

It might be a good thing you can see the rainbows now. I've heard of a few people who start seeing rainbows a few months after they have bought the set. At that point it is too late to take it back.

All of the fixed displays (DLP,LCD,etc) sets will have pixels fail. I have not expirienced any pixel failures with my JVC. If more the 3 fail JVC will repair/replace the set so I'm not worried. Since the JVC is a 3 ship system, if 1 pixel goes out on 1 chip, you still get color from the other 2. The color would look wrong, but it would not be a black spot on the screen like you get with a single chip design. As for convergience problems, I don't believe it is an issue. The chips are not adjustable like the guns on a CRT. They are set in the factory and you should be good to go. JVC told me that it wasn't really an issue. I haven't seen or heard of it being a problem, but i'm sure it is possible for things to get out of wack.

KWV
Unregistered guest
Mr. Rob,

Not sure what you're talking about with the STB. Does that mean a cable set-top-box? I have directv, so that's why I'm not familiar with the term, if that's what it means. I've never had this issue in the past with my directv receivers.

Napa, CA USA

Well, Samsung blew it. I'm sick and tired of waiting for the 4674 and they just lost one more - of the many - customer(s). Add the fact that it's only a 6-segment wheel to the b*llsh*t wait they put us through, with an ever-changing release date, and I decided to go with a MUCH CHEAPER plasma. Yes, it's ED and not HD, but it's Hitachi and they do good things with the signals so everything looks close to HD, including SD. No issues with being too close to the screen - it looks good from 3 feet - and no issues with viewing angle. Which brings to mind the concern that since the 4674 is only 6-segment wheel and all that stuff, does that mean the viewing angle is still the same as the HD2 4663 - which, to me, is totally unacceptable.

My only (big) bummer is that the Hitachi I got is only 42" - looks and fits nicely in my 42"-wide armoire, but I could have fit the 4674 (46") in there, though barely. The 4663 fit nicely. There are literally no DECENT plasmas or DLP's out there that are 46" that don't have speakers on the side - something I both don't need and can't have, width-wise.

The Hitachi I got was $2884 from CC, (# two rated plasma set from Consumer Reports). You can still find it on the Inetnet for $3999 - prices just came down a few weeks ago. Panasonic has an excellent, (#1 rated from Consumer Reports), plasma in 42" and you can now get it for $2049 on some sites. But, it has no speakers and no tuner - not that I care, since I have cable and RePlay (TiVo type thing), and Bose 321GS system. But, add a stand, speakers, a tuner, and shipping to this, and you probably come pretty close to the Hitachi - which I got local; anything worng, it goes back. So far, it looks fabulous - though a tiny bit small from my wifes' perspective in the kitchen - some 25 feet away. If anyone comes out with a good 46" DLP or plasma that fit my armoire, the Hitachi goes on eBay or in another room.

Thanks for the discussion on this board - it was very informative. I'll also repeat that I think the Mitsu 52525 or 72525 are AWESOME DLP's. If they only made it in 46"...

Biolink
Unregistered guest
Just took delivery of my 62725 this week. Originally was told it would take 6 weeks, but got it in 3 weeks, so they must be cranking them out. Bought mine in a specialty video store, so they may have had priority. The rep said it was the single hottest product in their line.
All I can say is "Wow". Our cable will not have high def until January, but even with regular analog cable, the pic is very good. Certain channels, such as ESPN and Discovery, seem to have a better analog signal.
Toshiba DVD player SD-4900 with progressive scan is awesome - can't see how high def could be better. No side bars when you set up your DVD player to 16x9. Very bright out to the edges.
About the glare: forget it, it's mimimal with the 62725. Leave the screen on.
For MR. LYNCH: cannot have burn-in with a DLP TV.
It's a micromirror device invented by a scientist at TI (go read their website, it's fascinating). There is no phosphor, etc. to "burn" on the screen. Also interesting about the rainbow effect-Mits claims it is minimal with the newer HD2+ chip (0.85" per the manual), and NO ONE in my family sees them.
Summary: this has to be considered the state of the art TV in existence, if you get one, you will love it, so GET ONE!
Thanks to all the contributors, really helped the research before plunking down the 4K.

Anonymous

The current devices used in the HDTV's by various manufactures in HD2+
and HD3. The HD2+ which is the latest enhancement to HD2 product line
offers DarkChip2(tm) which enhances contrast for rich and detailed dark
scenes. The HD3 which is the next generation DLP chip, offers improved
contrast and features DarkChip2(tm) and SmoothPicture(tm) technologies.
DarkChip2(tm): The next generation of DLP's widely acclaimed
DarkChip(tm) technology, it offers dramatically increased contrast ratio to
provide increased depth and picture sharpness and true blacks and whites.
SmoothPicture(tm): Combined with our cutting-edge third generation of
720p and 1080p chips, it offers the ultimate in picture quality,
providing a smooth, seamless image.

Samsung has announced that they will be using the xHD3. The xHD3
offers 1080p resolution and the finest in picture quality with DarkChip2(tm)
and SmoothPicture(tm) technologies. As to when products will be
available, please check with Samsung at 1-800-SAMSUNG.

When new products are announced and more information becomes available
to the public, it will be posted on in our Press Releases at
http://www.dlp.com/about_dlp/about_dlp_press_release_search.asp.

For details on end products please contact the product Manufacturer.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to visit us at
www.dlp.com. Thank you again for your interest in our technology.

Sincerely,

DLP(tm) Call Center
Texas Instruments
888-357-2984
www.dlp.com

Username: Jimmyb3

I bought the Mitsu 52725 two days ago, and it is AWESOME! Glare is pretty much a non-issue, even with a row of ceiling-high windows spanning the left wall of our den. The true HD programs (filmed and broadcast in HD) look like the cliche' "looking out of a window." I have Time Warner, which has several HD channels, including all of the networks and Fox. Last night I watched Men in Black II on the Fox HD channel, and the picture was outstanding. DVDs also look incredible.

So far the only problem I had was with setting everything up due to the poorly thought-out documentation. I'm over that hurdle now, though, and am very pleased with this selection so far.

Unregistered guest
Sammy's vs Mitz

I have spent countless hours staring at x725's and x63's. I've gone back and forth with the remotes and the settings .. tweeking this one then the next .. back and forth seeing which one I could get better.

Never once did the Mitz win in my comparisons. They were always darker (w/or w/o shield), the whites were never as white and the dark details never as visable.

I really don't want to buy a Sammy, but the Mitz pic was always lacking.

Ang

CraigS
Unregistered guest
Finally made the HDMI splurge and connected my Comcast HD DVR via the DVI>HDMI. Everything just looked dull. I ran component connections from the box to DTV on the 52525 and used the PIP. (once again, you CAN view an HD source in the PIP box using the Cable box or another HD receiver as it's source; you just can't swap, so don't pay attention to what the TV or the manual says)When I compared the pictures with the same exact settings on both inputs the picture via component is bright, clear and equal to the antenna input from my terristrial source. I'm calling Mits, but as you know it takes a good deal of patience. Anyone else finding the not as bright picture of HDMI?

Thanks/Craig

CraigS
Unregistered guest
Just got off the phone with Mits (26 min hold). This is the first he's heard of this, but he has me on hold while he checks with other techs. He's (Ray) taken my information and moving it to tech assessment. He promises for someone to get back in two days. I've found they are pretty good about this. I'll keep you posted.

Willie
Unregistered guest
Received my WD-52725 just before Thanksgiving. Up to know statisfied with picture. We have limited over the air HD, still need to install outside antenna. I have DirectTV hooked up through the S Video connection. Maybe I missed it, but no one is mentioning any issues with the video being out of sync with the audio. Video is slightly behind the audio. I don't see it on all channels. Mainly noticed it on a few of the networks (ABC, CBS). I am getting my local channels through Direct TV. I have heard a few reasons for this problem. Maybe when all these channels are available in over the air HD in my area, the problem goes away.

Anyone having similar issues with this sync problem.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 262
Can you use component connections instead of S-video? The lag is caused by the TV needing to convert the standard def 480i signal to 720p The worse the connection, the more you get a delay. It is a very common problem with Samsung DLPs. This is the first I've heard of it with the Mitsu.

Willie
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the thought on the component connection. Unfortunately, my Samsung satellite receiver does not have component connections. This lag also seems to relate to the program I am recieving. Seems to come and go. Does not always relate to particular network. Going to try and install over the air antenna to pick up local channels in digital and/or HD.

Sonja
Unregistered guest
Has anyone experienced with the mitsu 62825 or any 62 model that the right side of the picture is higher then the left?

It is definitely noticable when the text scroll from foxnews is on the screen.

anyone having this problem?

anyone know how I can correct?
thanks

CraigS
Unregistered guest
Well, the problem is most likely with Fox "News." But seriously, it is a tilt correction. I haven't had the need so I don't know if this correction is available at the menu level. My Sony Direct View has this option as part of the user service panel. You need to check with the 52825 manual, but this is the correction that needs to be made. Or just turn off Fox "News."

jaubrey
Unregistered guest
CraigS

Just curious...would you recommend CNN "News"??

Bronze Member
Username: Jake_the_dog

Post Number: 24
BETRAYED BY SAMSUNG

Hi all, Back in late August when I got my HLP5085W, I was juiced. The picture I saw at BB was incredible. It looked great on digital movies like Star Wars. To receive an optimal picture I went so far as to buy a new HD841 DVD Player and get a Directv HD Tivo box. My current picture is awful. Everything has a Green Hue and dark scenes look like pastels from a Velvet Painting. Sickening. (I use more colorful words off forum) Last Friday I got a service call from the local Samsung service Co. I need a NEW Main Digital Board and a NEW DLP LIGHT ENGINE!!!!!!!! As if this was not bad enough I got an unrelated call from Samsung Saturday stating they inadvertantly left a Digital Line Filter(?) out of my set. I called Samsung requesting a replacement set and they are refusing to replace the unit and want to take it away for service. What a pile of S***. I am trying to get my BB Service plan to get the unit replaced. At that point I will get the option to choose something other than a Samsung. Nice going Samsung, you took a huge fan and made a bitter enemy. I have never felt so betrayed in my life with a purchase. I trusetd them, they took my money and then Scr**** me. Be ware.... Good Luck to all with your current and future sets. I hope this is an anomoly but I had to speak out. Happy Holidays.

Dennis Moore
Unregistered guest
Sonja
just received wd62725. have same tilt problem. rt side is 5/16 inch higher than left. Also have a/v sync problems. dealer is replacing set

Anonymous

Willie
have mits wd62725. a/v sync is a problem in DVD as well as satellite reception. dealer replacing set next week

Willie
Unregistered guest
Anonymous

Did you see the A/V sync problem on all channels? I don't see it on all channels. Seems to mainly occur on ABC, CBS and occasion Fox. I receive them all through Direct TV. Never seen the problem on DVD. I did talk to the Mits rep out of Indy. He said he has the same problem with his Mits and his RCA big screen. I have to wonder if part of the problem isn't just the network broadcast. If not, it would happen all the time. However, don't really notice it on my 32" Sony tube set.

zbig
Unregistered guest
Craig S.

I have the same issue - tried Many HDMI cables but Component of 52725 is much better ! the HDMI sucks -- Dull as you said.

Username: Scottii

Las Vegas, NV Us

I have a 57"Hitachi hdtv ready,and a dish some stations come in good and clean and some come in just ok.when i play a move from a dvd player it is grate,would it be good to get a hd tuner or what would ba a good salutation to get a good pictur on all chanels.

Anonymous

I had a tilt issue that was corrected using the screws behind the main grill, to adjust the length of hor and vert sides.

kdpsrk
Unregistered guest
I'm new to this board but wanted to know if anyone was experiencing white vertical lines like I am with my new Sammy 56" HLP5674? I bought this set just after Thanksgiving and now it is a recurring problem. I'm in the process of exchanging the TV but wanted to see if there were any thoughts from people.

Unregistered guest
I work for Texas Instruments and TI negotiated special deal for DLP with Samsung and Mitsubishi. I am confused between Samsung's Pedestal 56' and Mitsubishi's 52 "models. I will appreciate if any one can shed some light on my concerns
Is it worth to buy Samsungs DLP HD ready or Buy Mitsubishi built in Receiver?
I am getting almost $1000 discount.
I will appreciate direct emails if you like to.

Unregistered guest
I notice that the Mitsubishi 62725 rear panel has component inputs that are labled "480i/480p/720p/1080i" so apparently it doesn't care. But if I put a 480i signal in from a non-progressive DVD player, will the 725 deinterlace so that I don't need to get a progressive DVD player?

Thanks

Ryan S
Unregistered guest
I purchased the 62525 in early Nov. and love this set. No problems, no rainbows, no sound delays, and prefect operation. (I watch HD over air, DVD 720P, SD over Air, and on digital over air.) I looked at more sets than I want to admit and read this post and others several times. The Mits seemed to have the best translation for the low quality signals.

First I want to say that I love the screen cover since it makes every picture look amazing. Most of the others I looked at I was able to see the whiteness of the actual screen, which bothered me. (Some else above said the same.)

Second: Now the glare...yes I get glare, BUT no more than I had with my 32 tubed sony. I have blinds that don't block all the light and I can still see clearly with direct light hitting the screen.

ps....if you can spend the money and get the Mits. I am still looking at other sets AND I am still happy with my choice. Oh yah I can't stop looking at the landscapes in the background too..

Username: Pro_v1

kdpsrk,

I get a dotted vertical line about a half inch to the right of the window box when watching analog channels.I don't have the problem when watching HD or dvd's. Is this similar to your problem?

Username: Aatomcat

I have a mitsubishi 62"dlp that i just bought about 2 weeks ago. I also have dishnetwork satellite system with HD receiver. I have used the monster cables with the gold-plated ends,s-video, and also hdmi/dvi cables. I am getting a 1080i resolution but still, the picture is not like the display at the store. (Paul's Big Screens, in La Habra,CA.) The picture at the store was crystal clear compared side-to-side with the plasma. At home i am not getting the same display. Can anybody tell me why?

DoCFuRy
Unregistered guest
I bought my 52725 over thanksgiving and have had no complaints whatsoever. The glare is not a problem, my big standard hd antenna sits out in the yard, but the DAMN REMOTE just stopped working all together. I went to change to Gamecube so my son could play his game, now the tv will not respond whatsoever. It wont turn off at the tv, it wont turn off at the remote, nothing. Its Sunday, its playoff football, Im getting mad.....Anyone have this happen?

Bronze Member
Username: Ben1db

Post Number: 11
I just purchased my Mit 52725 2 weeks ago and had seen a few complaints about the fan noise and the "tilt" problem. I had repairman come out about the 3 day and he went in through the front and fixed the tilt problem but did have to take a wiring harness loose to get to the adjustments. I would not attempt to suggest to others to fix themselves. Just make a serive call, they are aware of the problem although he said they had tilt problems with the early shipments but thought that the problem had been addressed at the factory. As for the fan noise, it is what it is and I don't hardly hear it anymore.

sean007
Unregistered guest
DoCFury,

Are you using cable card? what is your software version? I talke to Mits tech repair (3rd party) and he recommends to unplug / reset the system. There's not much they can do.

I'm on 4.04 version (latest) and my remote just locked and TV shut itself down !
The tech guy told me that using cable card will give this type problems...because the TV had to process all the information and that why it froze. Furtheremore, surfing the channel like I do can create these problems too.

bebebe
Unregistered guest
My 10 year old mits big screen picture has become concave looking, with the top and the bottom of the picture bowing in towards the middle of the screen. Any way I can fix this?

Unregistered guest
Hey guys, recently bought a WD-52525, having a bit of a problem. I had Comcast come out and install digital HD cable....however the entire screen appears "grainy". Comcast says it's not on their end because the menus are software in the digital cable box and if they are grainy too, it is either the connection to the tv or the TV itself. Has anyone else run into this problem or have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Curious1
Unregistered guest
bebebe,

Sounds like the high voltage has faded. That's what keeps the image properly sized on picture tubes.(CRT) Time for a service call!

KEVs,

Before I blame Comcast, which is the case most of the time, I need more information. Is the connection a DVI cable or component cables or worse? Is it grainy on all channels including HD channels? Have you tried a DVD player on the same tv input or a different input? Have you bypassed the Comcast box by taking the coax connection feeding the box and attaching it to the antenna input on the tv? Is your tv's on-screen menu grainy when on a different input? These are just some things to try. My gut feeling is that cable techs are sometimes pretty green. They install bad boxes and walk away. They install bad signal and walk away. It happens all the time.

KEVs
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the fast reply Curious1-

I just moved into my new place and have crap everywhere, so I haven't had time to mess around with much. I did try a DVD through my PS2, it was grainy as well. I didn't try going directly to the TV from the cable, bypassing the cable box. I also noticed that there is a green shadow around people sometimes on the screen, is this a TV problem too? I called Fry's(where I bought the TV) and they are coming out on Sunday to look at it/fix it/replace it free of charge since it has been less than 30 days since I bought it. I'm not sure what DVI cables are but there looks like 3 component cables going from the cable box to the tv, and 2 more additional ones for sound. I made sure these were connected properly, but didn't help. And it is grainy on all channels, including HD channels.

Also had another quick question for you: The installers told me not to move the TV until after 20 minutes has passed after turning off the tv because it could damage the bulb, is this true? I didn't find any such notice in the manual. Please excuse my ignorance, this is my first big screen TV.

Curious1
Unregistered guest
I guess those guys have bought a few lamps. Ha ha! Probably not a bad idea. A hot filiment could be fragile.

Yea...different inputs having the same grainy result is not good. Get a new one!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us