Archive through July 01, 2008

Username: Sandra_lewis

Post Number: 9
Thank you Kevin and Raymond for the information. I don't think I have anything to lose. It's better than spending the money to buy a new TV right now. I have a KF60DX 100/P Sony Grand Wega 60 inch. I don't know if they have the optical block for this model or not, but I'll find out as soon as I call them. Thanks again for the response.

Username: Sunnysingh

Post Number: 3
Hi Everybody

(Hi Sandra Lewis who replied to my post) Sony told me that BLUE BLOB is covered but YELLOW BLOB is not. Moreover, they told me that if my TV was a different model, KF60XBR950 instead of KF60XBR800, then they would fix it for free. Here is roughly how my conversation with Executive Review Committee went:

Me: Please fix my TV as you have done for so many other customers.
Sony's ERC: Sorry Sir, your model is not covered. Moreover it does not have the typical blue blob that we are covering.

Me: Blue or yellow blob does it matter? Why is Sony covering certain model and not all?
Sony's ERC: Sorry Sir, we only cover certain models. We have offered you $500 off toward a new TV.

Me: Correct, but your dollar for exchange department does not have a 60 in TV in stock and they are offering a 50 in instead. I do not want to downgrade from 60 in to 50 in. I would really like Sony to fix my TV as it has done for so many other customers.
Sony's ERC: Sorry Sir, we cannot do that.

Me: Ok how about just pay half the repair cost ($1000) and I pay the other half ($1000).
Sony's ERC: Sorry Sir.

Me: Ok how about $500 that you offered toward buying a new TV. Can you apply that toward the repair cost? I will pay the rest ($1500).

Me: Ok how about just ship me the new optical block and I will pay the local Sony authorized TV repair shop to put it in.

Me: If feel that Sony is selectively picking customers and TV models to fix. Why Sony has decided not to fix every TV that has bad optical block problem.
Sony's ERC: Sorry Sir, we only cover certain models.

Me: I have no other option other than filing a complaint with Better Business Bureau and going to Small Claims Court.
Sony's ERC: Sir, you can do that if you like.

Me: I have been a loyal customer of Sony forever. I have another Sony TV, a HD camcorder, and two laptops from Sony and many other products. I have advocated buying Sony products to all my friends in the past. This TV was the most expensive ($5500) product I invested -- because I believed in Sony's quality. But now Sony has decided to ditch me. If Sony does not fix my TV, as they have done for so many other customers, they will loose me as a loyal customer.
Sony's ERC: Ok Sir.

So now I have decided the following:

1. Never buy a Sony product in future.
2. Never advocate Sony products to my friends.
3. Tell my story to at least 100 friends and save them from Sony's bad business practices (It works!! Friends listen when you have a genuine story)
4. Try to get my story in the local press (Find a friend of a friend who works for local press. Please help if you know someone).
5. File a complaint with Better Business Bureau
6. File a case in the Small Claims Court.

I don't think that this will get my TV fixed but at least this will help me find solace. If I can turn away 100 people from buying a Sony product, lets say an average price of $500, then I would have saved ($50, 000) hard earned dollar ending up with a company that does not care for its customer.

Thanks Ecoustics for providing this web site -- Sunny

Bronze Member
Username: Kevin_conley

Post Number: 19
Try the consumer on your side type local news.

On the 500$ towards a new tv, its because they will still be making money, $500 off retail price still makes them money on a 3000 tv. $500 towards your bill is a $500 loss.

Can only hope more people report issues with your model, Im guessing that is how it works for fear of class action law suits. I wish someone on the board was a lawyer or had a friend that was so we could see what it takes to do a class action suit.

Username: Sandra_lewis

Post Number: 10
Sunny, your conversation with the ERC sounds almost exactly like mine. We are presently trying to file a claim with small claims court. Kevin, there has already been a class action suit. I had the link to it....I'll try to find it. If your model is not among those listed that Sony will cover, the attorney will not even return your call. Seems to me it would be just the opposite. Why do the ones who have models that Sony has chosen to fix even need to file a class action suit? There is a blog regarding the class action suit:
http://www.breakitdownblog.com/class-action-lawsuit-against-sony-for-green-haze- or-green-blob-sxrd-problem/

Username: Xdvsx

Post Number: 2
I own a KDF50E2000 and have recently started to have problems with the picture. I have purple smudging in the top corners, and it fans out into a green haze. It's only noticable on lighter scenes. White's the worst, but you can see the haze on all lighter colors. I just started to notice this about 4 days ago(3 weeks out of my warranty, as the TV is only a little over a year old).

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

pics...

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6404/leftcornertb3.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6186/rightcorner1qo3.jpg

Silver Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 114
L. Zeigler,
The problem that you are describing is the same as the "green blob" issue everyone else has with these TV sets.
The problem you all are describing also known as "the green blob" problem is caused by the heat of the lamp in the light tunnel crossing the 3LCD lighting module. This problem is caused when the uv protection on the lenticular screens is worn out due to intensive heat. This problem is happening to all TV's using an XL-2100, XL-2200, XL-5100, and XL-5200 lamp enclosures.

If you guys take notice, this problem usually occurs after the original lamp has been replaced once or more in the TV set. The cause of this problem is "uncertified" replacement lamps. The TV was not meant for AFTERMARKET or NON-ORIGINAL replacement lamps to be used.

If you are a Sony TV owner and have had your TV serviced or have replaced your lamp, please check to see if your replacement lamp or lamps were ORIGINAL PHILIPS PRODUCTS. You will see lamps for sale everywhere on the internet with companies trying to make a buck selling an aftermarket product as "OEM REPLACEMENT" or "100% OEM COMPATIBLE"... These lamps are manufactured by OSRAM, DNGO, APO, LTI (OLD), and other replacement manufacturers. The fact of the matter is that after extensive testing of the lighting spectrum and heat decipation of these lamps, the results show aftermarket lamps (non-Philips) to burn at a higher temperature. This slight increase in light generated temperature causes your TV's "green blob" problem. This "green blob" problem is the same problem as the Zenith "Yellow blob" and "Blue blob" problem.

In conclusion... Check to make sure your servicer or replacement lamp dealer has sold you a geniune Sony replacement part which should include a 100/120W Philips brand lamp for XL-2100, XL-5100, XL-5200 enclosures.. and a 120/132W Philips brand lamp for the XL-2200 enclosure.

Sony is contesting the "class action law-suite" against them claiming that these aftermarket bulbs are the cause of the problem.

For all Sony, Hitachi, Zenith, LG customers.. It is crucial to your TV's life that you use a geniune Philips replacement lamp to prevent "blob" issues.

Your dealer and/or service will not refund you or compensate you in any way for a "blob" problem so don't even attempt. They will deny any relationship to the problem and send you on your way. ALL IN ALL, it is not their responsibility as they are just trying to make a buck.. It is the users responsibility to know what you buy and to be aware of the consequenses of buying an aftermarket product.

Dealers that sell AFTERMARKET (CHINESE/OSRAM/DNGO/APO) lamps:
Interlight
BulbSolutions
DLP Lamps and More
Laptops For Less
Electrified
Bluestar
Pureland Supply
DLPLampSource
SamsungPARTS
-Not really Samsung factory.. They are just a Samsung Parts distributor. The company name is J&J International.. Also running different websites on the side selling OSRAM brand lamps for SONY, PANSONIC, ZENITH, HITACHI, and other TVs

People on Ebay with "OEM COMPATIBLE" or "100% OEM REPLACEMENT" lamps..... and of course... Many more! BE CAREFUL.

COMPANIES SELLING VALID SONY/PHILIPS PRODUCTS:
SonyStyle - #1 Most Expensive
Crutchfeild - #2 Expensive
Vann's - #3 Expensive
Partstore - #4 Expensive
MCM Electronics - #5 Expensive
Discount-Merchant - #6 Least Expensive

Check before you buy.. Ask your retailer, reseller, servicer... Make sure it's a PHILIPS... What you take out should be what you put back in.

I hope this helps!

Bronze Member
Username: Slinke

Post Number: 55
1. My KDF-55WF655 developed the blue haze/blob problem with the original lamp, so the problem is certainly not restricted to after-market lamps.

2. While the KDF50E2000 does not currently have extended coverage for blobs/haze from Sony, numerous other models do have this coverage.

3. I don't think it is very clear from L. Zeigler's pictures whether the problem is blue/green blob/haze (overheating) or pink/purple splotches/fingerprints (dust).

Sony Optical Block Problems web site

Thanks for the quick replies. I haven't had to change the bulb yet, so I'm not sure if my situation falls into that category. I'd say my lamp has no more than 2000 hours on it.

I called Sony and set up a service call for next week. I went back and forth and was passed to about 3 different reps/higher ups. The rep told me if it was a bad optical block, the house call/labor/parts would be covered.

Would it be wise to cancel the service call, recoup my $100, and cut my losses?.....or would this fall under an optical block problem(wether it's green blobs or the purple fingerprints, or both in my case)?

...btw Slinke, nice site, lots of good(some horrifying) information.

Bronze Member
Username: Sjones1

Post Number: 43
L.Zeigler,

If Sony doesn't cover it...it's not going to be cheap. While the actual fail point inside your light engine (LE) appears to be a very simple lens/filter (or sometimes lcd panel), replacement instructions point to a complete new LE...and if you get a new one,, it will be expensive :-( Refurbished one's are avaialble, but do you really want to go through the same nightmare you've already gone through...in 6 months, all over again?!?!

ovadoggvo, do you have any stats to back up original philips vs. aftermarket lamp claims? It clearly makes sense, but have you actually seen in at your shop? I've always been a supporter of the original manufacture lamps...and Philips is the company that created UHP lamps.

This is a quote from Philips' Lighting division:

"Original vs Compatible
Projector lamps have been developed in close cooperation between the world's leading lighting technology companies and projector manufacturers, matching lamp design to driver electronics and optics to ensure the optimum projected image, reliability and lamp-life. The manufacturing process is complex and tightly quality-controlled to ensure user safety when the lamp is in operation.
Due to the characteristics of the product it is our strong advice to anyone buying or reselling lamps to work with original manufacturers' products."

it goes on further to state:
"Use an original lamp as replacement to ensure safe and optimal working of your projector/rear projection television, brightness, lifetime and colours!!"

That was pulled directly off Philips' site.

Of course you can get original parts from Sony, but who wants to pay retail prices...
discount-merchant.com does have great prices on these...and as far as I know they are strictly Philips only distributor,

Here is a link to their Sony lamps:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=sony+lamps

Anyway, ultimately the consumer can only do so much...it's not your fault if you buy aftermarket brake pads and those brake pads cause your car to break down...someone has to be held accountable!

I'm glad Sony is somewhat being responsive by extending warranty on the LE for the following models:

KF-42WE610, KF-50WE610, KF-60WE610, KDF-60XBR950, and KDF-70XBR950

Problem is that the Sony Class Action Settlement deadline has passed. Does that mean everyone else is screwed?

ovadoggvo, ok...we learned out lesson, originals only...but are we screwed now?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
OK, I think that is enough blatant advertising. I don't usually do things like this, but I want everyone here to know that the eCoustics "Rear Projection TVs" forum is full of posts from "ovadoggvo" proclaiming the virtues of a certain merchant that sells rear projection TV lamps, and that installing other lamps may damage your TV.

In at least three of the topics--one on Samsung TVs, one on Panasonic TVs, and now this one on Sony TVs--the ovadoggvo post is followed closely by a post from "Steve Jones" who supports the ovadoggvo post with further doom and gloom, as well as additional advertising for the merchant. "Steve Jones" apparently "learned a lesson" on his Samsung rear projection TV and bought a lamp from the merchant in question, and now he has apparently learned his lesson on his Sony rear projection TV. Probably, he has learned his lesson on his JVC, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, etc. rear projection TVs and bought the right lamps from the right merchant for those, as well?

I have personal knowledge that the optical block problems arise with Sony's original lamps--from my own TV, and from communications with many others who have had the problem. Thus, I would suspiciously view any posts from ovadoggvo and Steve Jones, if they are even separate people, as being advertisements.

Username: Antho

Post Number: 8
Hey Folks...thanks again to all of you who have offered suggestions, insight, and commiseration regarding our common plight.

I was contacted by a Sony representative approximately three weeks ago and was told Sony had agreed to replace the optical block in my KDFE42A10. This offer did not come through normal channels and I am not able to elaborate further on the details. Sony agreed to cover replacement parts and the labor to install; they would not reimburse for my initial Qserv service call to diagnose the problem. The repair was performed two weeks ago (it was delayed a few days due to the optical block being back-ordered) and my set now has as good a picture as when new.

That's the good news--the bad is that all rear-pro sets that use a thermal management system similar to those employed in the KDFEs will suffer failures similar to the one that plagued my set. What's worse, the repaired sets will be prone to the same failures at some point in the future.

I'm sure there can be other reasons for failure in this (and similar) optical blocks but the problem in my set was caused by excessive heat. There are two fans in the TV; an "external" which pulls cool air across the lamp assembly and exhausts the air at the rear of the set and an "internal" which is mounted to the optical block assembly. The exhaust of the internal fan appeared to be routed toward the same exhaust route as the external fan, but I was not able to verify this. I was looking over the shoulder of the repair tech and trying to stay out of his way. I wish I'd taken photos...

The external fan is of the type commonly used in PCs and is not prone to clogging; this fan on my set had minimal dust accumulation. The internal fan is a centrifugal/"squirrel cage" type fan with many closely set blades and is very prone to dust accumulation. The internal fan in my set was about 75% clogged. This clogged fan led to the overheating of the LCD panel(s) and caused the yellow/brown discoloration in the center of my screen and the blue/purple darkening at the corners of my screen. There is also an internal filter that is part of the optical block assembly and it had a moderate accumulation of dust but did not appear to be clogged, though any dust accumulation impedes airflow. The filter appeared to be permanently mounted to the optical block and thus non-replaceable.

The blades of the internal fan were made of a plastic/resin compound that seemed to be really attractive to dust. I don't know if this is inherent in the material used for the fan blades or a result of the fan building an electrical charge as it spins that attracts dust.

Since this fan is not an actual part of the optical block the tech cleaned the dust from it and reused it. It is my opinion that this $5 part is at the heart of the optical block problem. This fan will clog with dust through normal use of the set and there is no acceptable way to clean or service it. The only way to access this fan on the KDFEs is to remove every module in the TV to gain access to the optical block, remove the optical block, and then remove the internal fan assembly from the optical block... This is not something that the average purchaser will wish (or should be expected) to undertake and certainly not something that the set owner should spend $100 on every six months or so for a tech to clean the fan to assure that their $2000 TV will not overheat and require a $1000+ repair....

For the record, I'm pretty diligent when it comes to maintaining my electronics. I routinely clean the set (and all my A/V equipment) by vacuuming dust from the exterior surfaces and vents to keep dust out of them. No one smokes in my home, we don't burn candles or incense, I use good quality AC/Furnace filters and change them regularly, and I have several electrostatic air filters around the house. In other words the TV has been in a relatively clean environment throughout its service life. This however has not seemed to make any difference; my set failed at 21 months which seems typical of the average 2 year failure window.

I plan to bring this information to the attention of the Sony ERC and will seek replacement of my set with a non rear-projection unit. The design of these rear-pro sets is flawed and we as consumers who purchased the Sony brand based largely on its reputation for reliability should not be footing the bill for Sony's poor engineering and design.

I also question the seemingly random repairs of some owner's sets while others owners are left out in the cold. I am grateful to all of the individuals at Sony who interceded on my behalf and expedited the repair of my set. My further pursuit of this issue in not intended to denigrate your good work in any way.

Anthony Henderson

PS-- My set has always been connected to an UPS with line conditioning and surge suppression. The UPS is in place to prevent the set from being left with a hot bulb in the event of a power outage. Also, I am still on my original factory bulb so that should not have been a contributing factor in the excessive heat.

FWIW--The tech who repaired my set suggested that I enable the "high altitude" option in settings. He told me that this setting caused the fans to operate at slightly higher RPM and caused them to run a little longer after turning the TV off. If true, using this setting might delay the onset of problems for a time. I have not tried in any way verify that this setting does what I was told it would do and am passing it along with that caveat.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
L. Zeigler,

Your problem is almost certainly in the optical block--either heat-induced damage or dust. If you got an Event Number from Sony support, I would ensure that you have the name of the rep that promised to cover the diagnostic and repair fees, along with any written promise they are willing to provide you. Unfortunately, your model does not have extended coverage for optical block issues--at least not yet. So, it is highly unpredictable what Sony might do, even if they gave you a verbal promise.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Anthony,

Thanks for your post. You may be interested in checking out my web site on Sony optical block problems. It includes a bunch of pictures that show the cooling path, including the centrifugal fan to which you referred (see the link to the optical block replacement page for the most detailed pictures).

Post Number: 9
Steve,

Thanks, those photos were helpful. The design of the optical block has been changed in the KDFEs. Lamp placement and lamp driver board have been relocated. The OB fan looks similar as does the LCD arrangement and basic configuration of the OB. The OB housing on the KDFEs is 100% plastic and more self-contained, I don't remember any metal gratings or brackets attached to the OB housing. Filter placement is different (if that is a filter to the right of the projection lens in your photo) and of a different type. The filter on the KDFEs is a rectangular pleated filter mounted in the grey plastic to the right of and on the same plane as the LCD opening in your photo if memory serves correctly.

Do you have any knowledge of the function of the "high altitude" setting found on the KDFEs (and other?) rear-pros? The tech's description sounds likely but would like to verify the info with another source.

Thanks,
Anthony Henderson

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
My understanding of the high altitude setting is similar to yours--that it causes the fan to run faster and, potentially, longer after power off. I guess these should be easy to test. I have heard that it is noticeably louder at the higher RPM setting, though.

Username: Wheless4979

My TV developed the blue blob even though it only had Sony lamps in it. I think the TV is like a set of tires - some people get more mileage depending on how much they use it. I do think the problems are heat related and apparently, stem from a design defect.

Silver Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 122
Steve Linke,
I understand your frustration with your TV set to an extent that you have made a nice pictured diagram of all of it's components and what you may think the source of the problem is... I congradulate you on your great work, but please don't badger me with false accusations. I encourage you to read my posts before you set out to crush me on a personal level. All 117 of my posts are helpful to the people within these forums. Last I checked, I am one of the very few service techs that actually posts here to help individuals with their DLP problems rather than be bitter over my Sony set.

The number of people that come to this forum and post there problems has increased greatly and I encourage people to post questions on which I can take my personal time to help and answer.

I CERTAINLY encourage people to replace their TV parts with originals rather than "aftermarket". Philips is the originator of the UHP Lamp:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHP_%28lamp%29

It is recomended by EVERY manufacturer that you use an ORIGINAL PRODUCT. This is not to prevent people from saving money, but to prevent people from warranty claims due to misuse or use of unkown and untested 3rd party products. Beleive me, Sony and Samsung are not profiting from your lamps burning out or burning your light optic engine. 10% of the replacement lamps sold to end users are direct from manufacturers, and 90% is from authorized resellers of their parts AND 3rd party manufactures and distributors who are trying to cash in on the endusers misfortune. Companies such as these are selling a lamp such as DNGO $10 below what an original costs, with misrepresentation or deceiving descriptions such as "100% OEM Compatible"... The standard end user has no clue that these lamps are NOT original lamps and may cause damage to their sets and have an inferior lifetime in their TV sets.

POINT BEING: 3RD PARTY PRODUCTS DO NOT HAVE NEARLY THE RESEARCH & DEVELOPEMENT (R&D) OF AN INNOVATOR WHO CREATED THE PRODUCT, NOR DO THEY HAVE THE QUALITY CONTROL TO BACK THE PRODUCT.

Although they all offer the same warranty and promise the same end result, it is misleading. Philips does not warranty their lamps for 90Days because they should blow in 95 days, rather, they warranty it for a limited time to prevent abuse of their warranty. We all know that these lamps are to last 2-3 years in an average household use. When your OSRAM or DNGO or APO lamp blows in 5 months, IT'S NOT NORMAL!

A good example of aftermarket "key" products is a vehicle airbag. If your vehicle's airbag is replaced with an aftermarket airbag or one from a different vehicle, it may not react as it should in your vehicle or may have inferior quality and/or unknown circumstances during a collision. Same rule applies here...

Your TV was tested with a Philips brand lamp before it was shipped out to the dealer. There is no gaurantee that it will perform, last, or give the same picture with any other lamp.

That is the point I was making.

As for my experience; I have been working as a technician in a company called USACO Service Corp. in cerritos california for many years. We are one of the biggest service centers in the nation with locations in California, Las Vegas, and New York. We process thousands of TV's a month in just this one location. I have seen and repaired many DLP and LCD projection sets. All of my tips, hints, and knowledge comes from my experience and my education on electronics. I bring these tips to this forum on my free time in order to help the standard end user who does not have the experience or knowledge that I have aqcuired over the years.

I provide helpful information and moneysaving tips. If there is a single user that I have screwed by referring to a "bad" parts dealer, please have them come forward in the forums.

I'm not reffering people to "overpriced" ebay listings of mine promising a better product for more money. Im simply referring people to the best source for their parts. And many times is the manufacturer or a representative of the manufacturer.

Please PM me if you would like to speak off of the forums or if you would like to discuss a problem you have with my helpful hints and refferals.

Thank You!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
ovadoggvo,

I think your expertise as a TV technician would be very welcome. However, I have seen no evidence that the blob/haze problem is restricted to "after-market" replacement bulbs. I have been in contact with dozens of people who have had the problem and most of them experienced the problem with their original lamp.

I have also seen no evidence that Sony is contesting the class action lawsuit by claiming that the owners used the wrong lamps. In fact, it is my understanding that the models in question tended to fail the first time under warranty, indicating that the original lamp was in them when they failed. Sony has agreed to settle out of court at this point. They are just waiting for court approval of the settlement for it to become final.

It is also incorrect that Sony will not cover the blob problem. They have extended coverage on many models (unfortunately, not all). And there is no evidence that the extended coverage issued by Sony will not be honored, even if an "after-market" bulb was used.

If you have evidence to the contrary on any of the above points, I would be grateful to receive it, and I could add it to the web site with your permission.

I hope you can understand that when all of this questionable information is mixed in with an advertisement for a specific lamp merchant, it looks a bit fishy. I checked a number of your other posts in eCoustics, and at least 80% contain the same sort of advertisement for the same merchant, so that did not help either. Nor did the companion posts by Steve Jones where he repeatedly seems to pretend to be hearing for the first time about the "after-market" lamp problem and the great service and discount at the recommended merchant. The whole thing takes on the appearance of an infomercial.

All of that said, I agree that it is probably best to go with "certified" lamps, and we both seem to want to help people out by providing information. So, if you have any technician-inspired comments to further clarify these frustrating problems we are all having with our optical blocks, they would be welcome. And, if you see anything on my separate site that is inaccurate or could be portrayed in a better way, please let me know here or by private message, and I would be happy to consider making a change.

I think the most burning question for me is what improvements have been made on the replacement optical blocks (if any) that will prevent a recurrence of the problems. Another question is what is the frequency of problems you are seeing with TVs that are not on the list of Sony's extended coverage models (e.g., the 2003 Grand WEGAs and the newer 2005-2007 models).

Username: Mike_roberts

First off, great forum here! Secondly, sorry my first post is so long. I'm hoping it might help others. I am yet another blue blob/blur victim. I bought a Sony KF-50WE610 in October, 2003. The blue blob first happened after about 18 months. We thankfully bought the 3 year extended service and it was fixed after 2 or 3 attempts. At some point the lamp block and lamp power supply block were replaced. Unfortunately I don't recall what was replaced for the ultimate repair, possibly the optical block mentioned but I'm not sure. The problem has returned and the extended warranty has expired. Thanks to google and this forum, I found out about Sony's extended coverage and made the call.

The Sony rep was aware of the problem, took down my information, got an event number for me and looked up a couple of repair locations . In general, a very favorable experience. I checked out the two service locations. Location "A" appeared to be more of a local company while location "B" was a nationwide service organization. I decided to try location "A" first since it was local.

Upon calling location "A", they said they wouldn't do anything until Sony faxed some paperwork to them. When I mentioned I had no paperwork to fax, just an event number, location "A" insisted they couldn't do anything without the "paperwork". Ok, time to try the nationwide location "B".

Upon calling location "B", I was on hold for almost 10 minutes before someone finally answered. This rep took down all of my information, including the event number and said a tech would call me to discuss the problem and schedule a service call. Within a few hours a tech did call. He asked me to try various things. Based on the results I relayed to him, he said he was convinced my problem would not be covered under Sony's extended warranty. As such he would need a credit card to reserve $195 before he could schedule an appointment. Nothing he asked me to do in my mind convinced me I did not have the problem covered but I'm no expert. He might be right about coverage but I was not anxious to lock up $195 on my credit card so I told him I would explore other options.

I called Sony again and got a different rep. I explained to her what happened and she agreed that neither response form location "A" or "B" was expected. She escalated my call to another rep. This Sony rep was on the same page as me and asked me which company I would prefer she call to straighten things out. I said location "A" since they were local. She got location "A" on the phone while I waited. The Sony rep was able to get location "A" to come out and check our set without me faxing any paperwork. Location "A" does have a diag service charge of $75 but I don't have to pay it until the rep gets here. I might even get that back if Sony covers the repair under their extended warranty.

By this time next week I should know if I get my TV fixed for free. It sure seems like this blue blob I have should be warranty repaired whether caused by the optic block or not. This Sony replaced an old Sony CRT that lasted over 8 years. I was hoping to get at least that duration from the new one. BTW, at least 3 other of these exact models Sonys were bought based on how well mine worked when I first got it. I think they got theirs sometime in 2004 and they haven't experienced this problem yet.

Good luck to all with the "blues" !

Post Number: 10
The KDFE42A10 saga continues...

I spoke too soon; the picture on my set is NOT "as good as new" as I stated a couple of posts back. Last night while trying to determine if the high altitude option functioned as expected I discovered three blue blobs/fingerprints in the bottom left quadrant of my screen. All three are fairly faint; one is about the size of an actual thumbprint. The other two are about half that size.

It seems very likely this is dust contamination resulting from the optical block being swapped out. I haven't had a chance to connect my laptop and put up a white screen to see if there are any others. I would have probably caught this sooner had I not been out of town most of the time since the repair was done. I do not plan to do anything about this problem until I pursue things further with Sony and the ERC.

Steve, the high altitude setting works as stated. The fan is louder with this option selected but is not that obtrusive. I'd say about 3 dB louder. I am willing to ignore the noise for a little extra peace of mind. The fan run time after shut down seems to be the same.

Anthony Henderson

Username: Wheless4979

Post Number: 4
As for this issue about the OEM bulb, I was reading the manual for my 50 inch Grand WEGA and it states very clearly that failure to use a genuine Sony replacement bulb might cause the LCD engine to fail.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
ERROR CORRECTION. My last post should not have referred to 2003 Sony Grand WEGA's not being covered by Sony, as they recently extended coverage for those sets. So, my second question to technician ovadoggvo about the frequency of optical block problems should have been restricted to the newer 2005+ Sony TVs, which now seem to be becoming more prevalent in the problem forums.

So, Mike Roberts, there is no question that your problem should be covered. The fact that your replacement optical block failed with the same problem is a bit disconcerting, though. Hopefully, it was replaced before improvements were made, and that the current replacement blocks are fixed. That was the subject of my other question to the TV technician, although I'm not sure how much they can do to improve cooling.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
OK, in addition to the blue "fingerprints" the new optical block does not look to be aligned properly. The picture is higher on the left than the right (ie: rotated clockwise) and shows a red/magenta haze across the bottom 1/4 of the screen and a blue haze across the top 1/3 of the screen. Arrows indicate "blue blobs". Sorry for the poor quality of the photo that's the best I could get.

Upload
I'm contacting Sony again, will keep everyone posted...

Anthony Henderson

Username: Mats962

Post Number: 1
Thought I'd chime in here, since both this forum as well as Steve Linke's website were excellent references for me to find out what was wrong with my KDF50WE655 (bought in Sept'04).

I contacted Sony Support online. They said it was covered and pointed me to a Sony webpage acknowledging the problem. I then contacted a repairshop thru the Sony website. They asked a few questions confirming the blue blob/dot/haze. And then sent a repairman out the following week. The optical block got replaced, and my TV seems fine again (been about a week since it was fixed).

I was a bit concerned since the "Fly-by-night" Internet shop that I had bought the set from was no longer in business, and wasn't so sure that the receipt would be "acceptible". Was a moot point in that all I needed was the model number and serial number (both on the back of the set).

Overall, it was a relatively painless experience for me. Thank you to those of you who "paved the way" and made it a lot easier for those of us now experiencing the blue blob/dot/haze problem.

Username: Mats962

Oh and the repair company that replaced the optical block for my set is called Qualxserv.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Steve Linke,

Steve, don't be paranoid...we're all here to help one another...if you see reviews for a vender, you should take it for what it's worth. When someone goes out of their way to support vender, I think you should stop hear them out. I'm sure for every good review you see on any particular company, you'll see ten negative reviews on a bad company...that's just human nature. We complain a lot more than we praise. Value the praise. If you see a negative review about a car dealership, chances are you will second guess visiting them. If you see positive reviews on a car dealership, chances are, they are a reputable company. You shouldn't be upset that reputable companies exist!

How often do we see people praising Samsung or Hitachi, or Mitsubishi TVs? . Rarely. How often do we see people on forums tell one another that their JVC lamp lasted 20,000 hours? Rarely, if ever. Does it mean no one has seen more than 5,000 hours out of their JVC TV? Absolutely not...NO.

I can go on, but this isn't the place for this sort of rant. Instead, let's try and clear up what's really going on (people having problems with their TVs) and end the personal attacks.

Cheers!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Raymond, preciously...Philips will tell you the same thing. The point being, the lamp and the driver as sold to the OEM's as a PAIR. They work together. If you substitute one for the other, you're probably not optimizing... It's as if I bought a Lotus Elise sports car and i substituted the tires with Goodyear brand. Well, we know Goodyear is a good company...they make good tires, but the suspension of that car was NOT designed for those tires! Even if the specs are the same, the tires are different! ...enough of my rant!

Username: Copotay

Hello everyone, another disgruntled KDF50WE655 owner bought in march of 2005. I have been reading all of the post regarding various issues with the tvs. I have recently changed my bulb and also cleaned out the dust from the rear of the television, however did not remove the optical block to clean dust from there, if there is some. Mine suffers from the purple fingerprints all over the screen and yellowish splotches in the middle of the screen: view pictures although it is worse than the pictures can depict:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3451/008wt1.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/954/007ji6.jpg

I have viewed Mr Linkes website which is very informative and has a lot of good informaton. I do realize that "my" anomalies are not covered by the extended warranty for my model according to the sony webpage showing pictures of what they are covering until 12/31/08, however I decided to telephone sony and file a complaint. They have me an E number stating it does sound like the optical block and had me contact the local Authorized Sony repair service. I spoke to the owner of this business and he told me that it did not sound like the actual blue dot problem that Sony is covering and that he would charge me $150.00 for a diagnosis. I told him to hold on and that I did not want to spend this money if it was something that Sony may not cover. I exlplained the problem to him at which time he said it definitely sounds like the optical block. I asked him if it could be dust in the block, he said no.

From there I decided to write the infamous ERC letter providing reciept and pictures. They contacted me two days ago and said they would work with me although it was not the described optical block problem for my model, however I had to have the Authorized Sony repairman diagnose it first and if it is determined to be the OB they would work with me, what that means I am not sure.

So, I called back the local repairman and he will be picking up my TV next week, to bring it to his shop, and diagnose it. I asked him why he had to pick it up and he said there is a "lenghty procedure" they go through to determine it is a fault with the OB, I said ok

Well, sorry to be so long winded but thats my current predicament, and I was wondering if anyone else had the yellow blotches like the ones in the picture along with the purple fingerprints. On a black and white program you can really see the yellowish tint which turns peoples faces yellowish.

Username: Bikerbruce

Thank you all for the info. Unfortunatley, I read these posts since I have the dreaded green blob on my KF-60WE610. For this model, Sony will replace the OB for blue dots or stars but not green. I have not contacted the ERC but it seems from other's experience that they dig their heels in and won't budge. Any suggestions?
BTW, the set is 3 1/2 years old with the original lamp.

update on my problem...

I had a tech out last week to replace my optical block, or so I thought. It turned out the work order got mixed up and he just came out to diagnose the TV. He took it apart and cleaned it up, but the purple smudges and green blobs were still there. He said the optical block was bad and that it would cost $1200 for the block and $350 for the install. Luckily, Sony stepped up and decided to cover the service call/parts/labor(Thanks Pete, thanks Pam).

So I got the mix-up about the service call figured out last week and the tech came back today and installed the new block. No more purple smudges, no more green blotches. The picture looks great again.

BTW, I asked the tech if it could've been dust in the optical block, and if it could've been cleaned. He said they're sealed up pretty good, so that wasn't the problem, and that you're not going to fix much by cleaning it. I just figured I'd ask because of all the purple fingerprint problems, and the cleaning procedures attached to them. Take it for what it's worth I guess.

I know he said cleaning the mirror and the lens that projects onto the mirror might help some picture issues, as that was his first step in diagnosing my problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Well that doesnt sound promising for my purple marks.

Zeigler, how did you get sony to step up and take care of the cost of repair?

Update, the Authorized Sony Repairman came and picked up the tv today. After looking at it He said it was not the problem as sony is covering, however would run the test procedure and make the determination for the ERC complaint. He did say that from his experience the block is bad from dust accumulation.

He also told me that alot of people have this problem and some people do not notice the problem. He then said that in the last 5 years Sony has really gone down hill. He also said to stay away from the new XBR Flat Panels, he has already picked some up for various reasons. He suggested if he were to buy a new LCD to go with Toshiba. This coming from a Sony repairman.

Username: Newguy73

I originally posted a problem with my Sony LCD Projection back in January believing my tv was out of warranty. Luckily for me my BestBuy "performance service plan" was for 3 years and I am still covered.
Today, a technician came out and verified the problem was the optical engine and he will place an order to replace the defective part.
My question is: should I expect the new optical engine to be more reliable?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
OK, this is really getting old... First, I'd like to say that everyone at Sony has been very professional and personable, particularly the individuals on the ERC that I have spoken to -- on with the update...

I contacted Sony on 3/15 regarding the blue blobs on the newly installed optical block and they set up a service call for me with Qserv and a scheduled appointment on 3/20. I called Qserv on 3/19 and was told that the repair tech would contact me by 10am on the 20th to finalize the appointment time. At 11am on the 20th I called Qserve again and was assured that the tech would be calling me within the hour. Four hours and three calls later a very rude customer service rep at Qserv informed me "I never had an appointment on the 20th in the first place". She rescheduled the appointment for 3/24. (This is now four days of work in the last two months I've missed as a result of problems with this TV if anyone besides me is counting...)

The repair tech replaced the optical block again, and all seemed well. This block appeared to have tighter focus than the original OB or the replacement and the picture was GORGEOUS. That lasted 4 and a half days...

I turned the set on about an hour ago and was greeted with random horizontal red and cyan lines flickering and projecting from high contrast areas of the picture. The problem is present on all channels and all inputs. I'm posting photos, if anyone has any Ideas as to what this new problem is your insights are welcome. It looks like an LCD/OB issue to me.

Upload
Upload
Upload

I'll be contacting Sony again on Monday...I sure wish there was a lemon law for TVs!

Anthony Henderson

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
If anyone has been keeping track of the thread, you know I have a few issues I reported. First the purple "fingerprints/spiderweb" issue (which is gotten REALLY bad in the last month) and I noticed my tv overall was appearing darker then normal, and was getting hard to see any dark on dark, also I was noticing a redish tint on the bottom that lightened as it went up.

Yesterday I was watching tv when my bulb blew up, it was really loud. Not sure if that is normally how they go, I always thought they just die. Anyways I called around some local shops and they told me about a electronics service shop/electronis dealer that may have a replacement. I didnt want to have to order and wait. If anyone is in the tampa/clearwater/st pete type area and need something this place is great. They had my bulb for 200$ which looking online is a very fair price, also its a real sony replacement not a crap brand.

Got it home and I was blown away how good my tv looked again. The dark issues, the red tint, both due to the bulb dying. The strange thing is Ive asked a few people if the bulbs slowly die, or do they just go from looking great to dead. I have always been told the 2nd. Totally was not true with mine. My tv literally looks 100x better. Amazing I couldnt tell the issue was that bad.

Anyways, just wanted to share that....I still have the purple marks, but due to the extreme brightness of the new bulb they arent nearly as noticeable.

And the shop I got the bulb from said my issue sounds more like a cleaning issue, and they do those, so I will be scheduling that to happen and will report back.

If anyone in the area wants more info on the shop feel free to contact me. They are an official sony licensed repair shop.

Ohh and when I picked up my bulb they had 4 other Sony bulb models sitting on the checkout area, he said these were just calls from the last couple hours of people picking up replacements. Amazing!

Update: The repair guy took it apart and confirmed what we already knew, that it was a problem with dust contaminating the OB. Sony went ahead and paid for a new OB and replaced it. Got the tv home and all good now with no purple or yellow prints. The repair guy was amazed that I was able to get Sony to pay for the cost, he was so amazed he waved his $150.00 diagnose fee, so I got lucky and it did not cost me anything.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
So dust in the optical block is not a "cleanable" issue? It actually need to be replaced???

Post Number: 5
Not according to Sony or the repair guy if the dust has burned onto the lcd panels, and I already asked them about taking it apart and cleaning or blowing out the dust, they both said it would help a bit but it would still be contaminated from the particles that you cant get off the panels.

Username: Zippo

I have a KDF42A10 purchased in Apr 06. About a year ago I noticed a blue spot at the bottom of the screen, but dismissed it at the time; however, it became increasingly larger and after six months I unplugged it. I let it sit for months while talking with Sony customer service w/o any success. The service tech came and of course I already knew the outcome, the infamous blue blob and optical block, at a cost of about $865. Sony finally offered to pay half of the repair costs, I turned it down. This TV has been used very little and I don't want to sink more money in it not knowing if the problem will return or not. I'm writing the ERC asking for a replacement, or for them to pay for all repairs, or to apply the repair costs to a new TV. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to put or not put in my letter to the ERC, other than the standard compaint information?

Thanks, Jim

Post Number: 6
One man posted part of his letter that I kinda used as a guide but not verbatim, you might take a look at it here, just look in the post:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/379459.html

Also remember you will have to get an official diagnosis from an official Sony certified repairman.

Oh and it will return if it is dust, the repair guy said there is no way to keep it out of the OB even if you clean the vent holes on the tv on a regular basis.

Ted thanks for the information; I already have an official diagnosis from and Sony certified technician. If they don't make a reasonable offer, I will pack the TV up and send it to the CEO himself as a gift, no matter what it cost me. I will post the outcome. Jim

Username: Sunnysingh

Hello everybody,

After a number of polite and strenuous tries with Sony ERC I have given up. Sony flat out refuses to cover my KF60XBR800 TV that has developed a yellow blob. They claim that my TV model is THE ONLY ONE to have developed this problem; therefore, they will not cover. If there were enough people with this model and yellow blob problem then Sony would cover it. Anyways, I have decided to do the following:

1. Never buy a Sony product in future.
2. Never advocate Sony products to my friends.
3. Tell my story to at least 100 friends and save them from Sony's bad business practices (It works!! Friends listen when you have a genuine story)
4. Try to get my story in the local press (Find a friend of a friend who works for local press. Please help if you know someone).
5. File a complaint with Better Business Bureau
6. File a case in the Small Claims Court.

So far I have successfully turned away 6 friends from buying Sony products. Recently at a gathering my neighbor, he does not buy Sony products anymore, told me to put this TV for sale at our upcoming community yard sale. There are about 1600 homes in my community. And I have seen around 100 to 150 people at our last yard sale. He suggested that I should put it for sale at $5 and make sure that it is running so that people know what they are getting. I like his idea. I am going to do exactly that. It will be very interesting to see what people have to say about Sony products and I am actually going to sell it for $5 if someone wants to buy this 150lb paper wait.

Ok, I will update you guys soon.

Thanks -- Sunny.

Post Number: 7
Update: I have noticed now after several hours of viewing that I am lacking a bit of contrast/picture. When I went to the menu to adjust the "picture setting" for a more vibrant look, (its also set to vivid right now), its maxed out.

Prior to the new OB the "picture setting" was about half way and was fine. Must be something in the service settings.

So I have been reading about accessing the service menu to change the value of the contrast/picture but cant find exactly which menu item to change the value of, so I will keep reading.

Update: I recieved a pm from a Sony rep in reference to my last post. He quickly assisted me in making contact with a Sony tech who inturn assisted me greatly. Although he could not specifically help me in accessing the service menu due to liability, he aided me by explaining various things.

I did not think that any sony employee would monitor these boards, but they sure do. Looks like Sony really is concerned about their customers after the sale, which gave me back some faith in the product.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Again some people seem to be getting msgs and help while others are ignored. Not understanding why that is happening. There are tons of people in this thread who have legitimate issues that sony isnt giving the same help to. Does it depend on model? Thats ridiculous, the issue is with the optical block, not the numbers written on the back of the tv.

Would be like if a car company put the same bad engine in many different cars but only decided to help people who bought 1 of the bunch. Doesn't make sense.

Username: Audiocare

I have a KDF50WE655 that had been developing the blue blobs at the base of the screen. I bought it in Nov. 1994, and after reading alot of the blogs posted here, I was skeptical about the possibility of getting some resolution from Sony. I finally got up the nerve to call tech support and got a very helpful rep. After a few troubleshooting recommendations from him (that I'd already tried), I mentioned that in this blog it seems that there is a pattern of problems with the optical blocks. He did a little checking and emailed me a message asking me to identify my problem as compared to four examples shown. As soon as I did, he referred me to a local Sony warranty repair facility that would take care of the problem. Apparently Sony has provided extended warranty coverage for this problem through December of 2008 for some models (including mine).

I called the local facility, they checked on it and ordered the part, and two days later they picked up the tv. The next day, they returned it with the problem solved!

After hearing the horror stories others have had, I can only say that my experience was excellent. I do feel it was really useful to be able to demonstrate to Sony that I was aware of the problem.

Username: Greenskirt

Hi,

My KDF-55WF655 starts to go on and off on its own in cycles after 3 years of use. When it goes black, the sound is also gone and the the power led flashing green instead of steady. Anyone has similar problem? Thanks for any inputs.

Username: Fancydancer

Aurora, CO USA

My Sony KF42WE610 developed a blue cloud over the center of the screen. I learned that Sony was aware and they will reimburse the owners for parts and labor until June 2008. I contacted Sony via phone and was given numbers to three contractors to contact. Best Buy was one and I contacted them. They replaced the Optical Block at a cost of $1300.00.

I sent all of the required paperwork, along with photographs of the set to Sony via UPS 2nd Day Air. The day after it was received, 03/05/08 I was contacted by a man from Sony that informed me that everything had been approved and I should receive a check in two to three weeks. He explained that they only issue checks one day a month and that my check should be sent on the 14th of March.

I patiently waited until the 10th of April and no check. I phoned Sony and was told that my paperwork had not reached the "check writing" person in time and that someone was supposed to have contacted me on 03/19/08 to advise of such. I was then told to call back if I did not receive the check between the 14th and 22nd of April as the next date for issuing checks would be the 11th of April(I'm talking to them on the 10th of April).

Well, I jumped the gun and called on the 21st. That apparently pissed them off and I was told to call back the next day if the check was not here. I calmly advised the lady that if the check was written on the 11th of April and it has not arrived by the 21st that it was not coming.

I did call on the 22nd and informed them that the check had not arrived. Then I learned that they had my stepson's rental property as my home address. Don't know how that happened and they can not explain it. All the paperwork I submitted had my correct address, including the original purchase receipt.
We checked the mailbox at the property(vacant since Jan 08)and found it empty.
A man from Customer Relations was supposed to call on the morning of 04/23 but he never did so I called them. Got another person who stated she would get with a supervisor and call me back within two hours. That was at 0910, Mountain time. I called back at 1PM mountain time and got another person, who again says she will call back prior to the end of day.
I've read that a lot of people have had great experiences with Sony regarding this problem, however, I am NOT one of them. What can be so hard in writing a $1300.00 check. If I had of know that I would experience this hassle I would have bought a 42", Vizio 1080P, LCD and had $300.00 left over and would have thrown this Sony on the trash pile. I Will NEVER buy anything from Sony again.

Username: Xcell

hi

im new to the boards - all this info is amazing what you can get off the net these days. unfortunately, my problem is not in any of the postings.

i have a kfe42a10 - march 2006 is production date. the tv turns on fine, but when i have lightly color channels, the whites are overexposed and details are missing from the pic. i've checked the contrast, pic brightness, etc...all are normal...so im confsued

i have changed the lamp (even though the lamp light wasnt indicating this)

i went to the self diagnosis part and everything was "0" - ie. no errors produce.

i have even done a factory resent but the screen still looks overexposed.

any ideas why?

Upload

This is a follow up to my 9 April post above pertaining to my KDF42A10. Taking advice from this forum I wrote the ERC and received a call within three days. Actually, they were responsive and quite pleasant; Sony agreed to pay for the new optical block if I pay the labor ($300), which is acceptable to me. Thanks to this forum, I saved time, $$ and got a satisfactory outcome. Thanks again, Jim}

Hi Jim

I think my problem will be similar to everyone elses (OB) - just out of curiosity are you in Canada or the US. Also, how would you suggest to proceed with speaking with SONy regarding repairing (at their cost) an OB problem. You can also privately email if you wish at jhao72@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance and glad your problem was resolved.

So the Sony repair guy came to my place to look at the TV - he said he never seen this problem before. Shite...

Then he said it is either the optical box or q-box, whatever they are but he did say it would be expensive to fix. Now what...

I also asked that if it was the optical box, that i heard there was a law suite happening and he said "yeah but not for this model."

HELP!

Username: Paulpat

Kanata, Ontario Canada

Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum but have been a lurker recently after I found this site in Google.

I have a Sony KF42WE620 LCD Projection TV and noticed that the picture looked like it had smudges or blotches on it. The blotches looked worse on red images.

After reading a few different forums, I decided to venture into the TV and see if I could clean it myself. It is definitely an adventure. I noticed that Steve Linke took pictures with instructions on his web site at:
http://repairs.sunnyoasis.com/sonylcdtv/

Even though I added a disclaimer to the web page, feel free to post followups and I will try my best to answer any questions.

Bronze Member
Username: Dave_carney

Derby, KS

Post Number: 15
Nice site Paul. I wonder what types of problems this will fix, like blue blob for example? My original optical block blue blobbed at 30 months (7700 hours). Now the rebuilt one from TriState (self-install) is manifesting green hue/haze (visible on black backgrounds in all areas of the screen) after 12 months, 2100 hours. This became very noticeable after a recent bulb change.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Very interesting, Paul. I added a paragraph to my web site with a link to yours (let me know if this is a problem). I would speculate that the dismantling of the optical block to allow a more thorough cleaning might help in the case of a stubborn "fingerprint"-like dust contamination issue, but that it would not help with the blob, haze, star pattern, etc. issues, because they are related to damaged (not dirty) parts.

Username: Alciedalcie

Litchfield Park, AZ US

I just found this site via google and have read every post which is starting to freak me out. We just purchased a 50" KDFE50A10. We purchased it from a local place in AZ called the Best Deal in Town. They offer liquidated and open box tvs at great prices. So we got the tv home and set up last night, turned it on and noticed a blue blob. At first it looked like a swirl, was not too big and mostly noticeable on only light or white backgrounds. It is from the bottom middle to bottom right of the screen. I looked it up online describing it as a swirl and looked up trouble shooting on Sony's site. Unplugging it to reset it did not help, we checked all connections and even moved our satellite box away but no help. Today it looks bigger, because it was open box the store will not return it. I called Sony and scheduled an appointment next Friday with Qserve. Crossing my fingers they will cover it since it is the Blue Blob, but freaked out because we used all of our stimulus check to buy this tv and that was all of the money we had. You can still watch the tv but it is all I see when I try and watch it and I am self conscience inviting someone over to watch a movie knowing it is there. I asked the Sony rep if he has heard of any issues like this and the only answer he provided me was that it is all well documented and if I have any questions to refer to my reference number. I am praying this is covered because we had our Magnavox tv for 10 years handed down from my Dad because he got a Plasma for Christmas. Well we already gave the tv away on freecycle. We have wanted this tv forever, my in laws have the same one. I was surprised though when I went to get the serial number to find the tv was manufactured in December 2005 and I was told it was newer...Should have known to check. I only paid $800 for this tv since it is open box so to pay what others are quoted for the optical block would be ridiculous.... Please cross your fingers, the Sony rep seemed to be nice but he was not clear when I asked him if it was covered. Will update after the appointment.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
I don't believe the KDFE50A10 has any extended coverage for the blue blob problem. There is usually some sort of "implied warranty of merchantability" in state law that applies to new purchases, unless you signed something waiving this. If you did, and Sony doesn't agree to cover it, maybe the store will at least give you credit toward another purchase?

Username: Dakota62

I just got off the phone with Sony Tech Support, I have a KDF-E60A20 with a Blue-Blob starting to take over my screen. It's almost 2 years old so the warranty won't cover it unless they extend it like they did some other models. Does anyone know if my TV has the same optical block as the extended warranty TV's have? Is it likely that my warranty will be extended in the future? Is there a growing list of people anywhere that I can sign up for another class-action suit?

Username: Guybaby

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

i own a sony kf50we620 its 3.5 years old and needs a optical block ,sony will cover the repairs under a hidden recall but will not give me a credit towards a new one ,but now after reading on this forum i feel it will be back in the shop soon soon, i hate sony,they gave me such a hard time at the call center

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

i am scheduled to pick up tv in 3 days ,i will let you guy,s know how the repairs go

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

after reading all these post i would love to sell it

Bronze Member
Username: Edenney

Post Number: 77
Allison, I'm sorry to say it but you're really screwed if you can't return the TV. Read all the posts here, search for ERC, and be prepared to start writing letters. Your problem will get progressively worse over the next few months depending on how much you use the TV until it is essentially unwatchable. The good news is that you can still listen to your wonderful new big screen TV... (sorry, bad joke).

Some words of advice for future reference: Always purchase using a credit card whenever possible, then make the full payment to the credit card company and you won't pay a dime more. Credit cards almost always give you an additional warranty above and beyond whatever warranty comes with the item you're purchasing. Second, don't buy anything even remotely expensive by your definition, without researching it first online. The web is an invaluable resource, and almost everything has user reviews and ratings available online somewhere. Learn as much as you can about the product beforehand and it will pay dividends. Unfortunately the blue blob problem was not documented when I purchased my KDF-55WF655 in May of 05 or I wouldn't have touched it with a 10 foot pole.

If you are unsuccessful with Sony's ERC, be prepared to take them to small claims, and/or the place you purchased the TV from. They clearly sold you a DEFECTIVE tv right out of the box, with a problem that costs more to fix than the value of the TV. Small claims is very easy, there are no lawyers, and the burden of proof is very law.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
Well guys, after about a 6 month hiatus from this board as a major contributor, I'm unfortunately back... *SIGH*

I was one of the very first to get their OB replaced under what was at the time, a brand new extended warranty on the OBs for people experiencing the blue blob problem. This was in July of 2007. That was my 4th optical block! I use my TV 24/7 and they fail like clockwork every 11-13 months, so I had already replaced 2 OBs previously under the standard warranty.

Well, because I was such a vocal contributor here and was experiencing service problems with a Sony authorized service center, I was contacted privately by a VP of Sony Worldwide support that was lurking around this board just after I got my OB replaced under the new warranty. He assured me that the problem with the OBs had been corrected. I knew that I would probably be the first to find out if this was true or not because of how much I use my TV.

Sure enough, it's now 10 months later and today I just noticed the very first signs of the blue blob. I doubt anybody else would even notice it but I know what to look for and sure as the sun rises it's starting again. His assurance that the problem had been corrected was BS.

Of course, 99% of you only go through an OB once every 2-4 years depending on how much you use your TV, so Sony knew that by extending the warranty until Dec. 31 2008, they would only have to replace it once, and by the time everybody figured out that the new OB wasn't any better, it would be too late.

I told myself, and everybody else, that if the problem happened again Sony was definitely going to have to get me a new TV, there's no way I'm going to take another OB knowing that next April or May my TV is going to be worthless. I'm going to find the email from the Sony exec that contacted me and give him an earful.

For those of you who have had your OBs replaced under the extended warranty, know that they did not redesign it or improve it to resolve the problem, which was speculated about a lot. If they did, they certainly didn't do it before they issued the service bulletin and started replacing the OBs. My suggestion to everybody that owns one of the affected models who has had their OB replaced under the extended warranty or through a negotitation with Sony if yours wasn't specifically covered, is to SELL your TV as soon as possible before the problem occurs again, certainly before Dec. 31 2008 when the warranty expires.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Oops, forgot to mention, not that it really matters, that I have a KDF-55WF655.

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Had the ob replaced on my kf50we6,its been two days and still working great ,lets see how long it last

Aurora, CO USA

Hi Guybaby,

If you sent paperwork for reimbursement from Sony be prepared for a fight.

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

hi fancydancer no paperwork sony covered the cost under , there extended warranty ,so my bill was zero, but the repairs had to be done at a sony repair shop

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

I am grateful that sony did repair on the tv but on the other hand if it wasn,t for this forum i would never of known about all the others with the same problem and that sony was extending the warranty on the optical block till dec 2008 thankyou everyone

Aurora, CO USA

Guybaby,

Thanks for the reply. I bought my set in 12/03 and the optical block was replaced in 02/08. I have been trying to get a check from Sony since March. I talked to them yesterday and they promised to call me back today(I am still waiting) after checking with the required department. I will never buy Sony again and have already purchased a Vizio 47" LCD 1080P for less than the repair of the Sony. I was at a nephew's home over the holiday and saw his 46" Phillips Plasma, what a great picture. That's my next purchase.

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Fancydancer I mentioned to one of sony,s support staff that they would loose alot of customer and he said for every lost customer there is a new one comming ,so good luck and keep bugging them until the money comes in

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Following up on my last post to keep everyone up to date...

As soon as I saw the blue blob starting to appear again on this supposedly "re-engineered" optical block, I immediately contacted the VP of Sony Worldwide Support that had contacted me last year and had told me that the problem had been resolved. I gave him an earful, reminding him of my past history with this TV and the 2 optical blocks with the blue blob problem I had replaced previously every 12 months like clockwork. I made it clear that I was NOT going to put in a 4th OB (my 2nd under the special extended warranty), only to have it break 10-12 months from now, a couple months after the 12-31-2008 deadline.

The VP contacted me back right away by email, despite the fact that it was a holiday weekend, and said he would have his management team contact me this week. They did in fact contact me first thing Tuesday morning since Monday was a holiday. I have to go through the motions of having a tech out here to confirm that problem LOL (as if they'll be more familiar with it than I am), but after that I have two options: Either replace the OB (of course I have that option) and enjoy the last 10-12 months with my TV since Sony won't stand behind their OB, or trade up to a new Sony LCD with some added $$. Well I'm obviously not going to keep a TV that's going to be worthless in 12 months, so this isn't a tough decision.

Obviously I have to go smaller since they don't make anything larger than 52" unless you fork over $30K for their 70" LCD. The LCDs are also much more expensive than the RPs so I'm going to have to put in a lot of money to get a smaller TV. That sucks, but LCDs are better and much lighter so I guess that will soften the blow.

It's all going to boil down to how much they credit me for my RP and what pricing they offer me on the LCD. I paid $2300 plus $500 S&H for my KDF-55WF655 which was retailing for about $3K directly from Sony at the time. I was right at 2 years (1 year ago) when the VP told me the problem had been resolved with the new OB. I would have traded it in at that point had he not assured me the problem had been resolved, so if they pro-rate it at anything more than 2 years it will be unacceptable to me.

They usually operate on a 7 year lifespan assumption for pro-rating purposes (which I think is at least 3 years low, but oh well), so I should get 71.5% credit toward what I paid for it. That's about $1650. Unfortunately I can't use that money anywhere I want, I have to buy direct from Sony. The cheapest 52" LCD they have is $2699 retail on their site, though they said I would get a discounted rate on whatever I selected.

That's where things stand. Right now I'm in a holding pattern waiting for the tech to come out next Monday and take 10 seconds to tell me what I already know, that the OB needs to be replaced. I can't do anything until then and the blob is growing very rapidly so it's going to be really annoying in another week or so. I suspect it will be at least 3 weeks before I have a new, smaller TV, and my pocket book is significantly lighter.

I'll keep everyone posted, but I can't stress strongly enough that any of you who have had your OBs replaced free of charge, need to sell your TVs as soon as possible before that OB fails again. As long as it's working fine you'll get good money for your TV, but once it fails (and sure as the sun rises it will), it will be worthless.

Username: Izan

i have a kdfe55a20 and ob is gone bad so after a talks with sony they offer me to pay for the part or sell me a new set kdl52v4100 for 1550 plus tax and $200 shipping so what sould i do guys and if i do repalce the ob how long do they cover it thanx again by the way the tv they selling is $2669.99 on s.com

Aurora, CO USA

Izan,
I would take the deal, only wished they had offered me such a deal. I'm still trying to get my money from them.

i think i am going to take kdl52w4100 that one has a 120 hz for $1800.they said if i go with the repair it only has 90 days warranty so i don't know what to do i bought my tv in 05.do u guys think i have a good deal?p.s. i;ll have to pay $200 shipp+tax

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

I think you should go for the new one, that,s the deal i wanted but the only thing they were willing to do is repair it and now i just feel like something else will let go with this tv

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
Izan

Well there's no question you need to get into a new TV, the only question is what's the most cost effective way. You already know how much you'll have to pay to get into a new 52" LCD through Sony, now figure out how much you can sell your TV for if they repair it and it's working perfectly. You'll need to do some research of course.

The good thing about option #2 if Sony is willing to repair the TV, is that you don't have to buy a Sony with the money, AND you can shop around to find the best pricing and the make/model of your preference, often times not having to pay tax if you purchase it out of state, usually in NY.

Of course selling it is more of a hassle and will probably take longer, plus some unfortunate sap is stuck with a TV that is going to break again down the road. But that's the circle of life.

Do the research and the math, and figure out what the best option is for you...

I can't stress enough though that EVERYBODY who gets their RP Sony TV repaired on Sony's dime, should DEFINITELY sell their TV as soon as possible after it's repaired. The OBs WILL fail again, they did not solve the problem with any of the models. It's a ticking time bomb in your house, but fortunately one that still has good resale value since the general public at large isn't aware of the defective OBs.

It's unfortunate that someone else should have to deal with the same problems, but maybe somebody will buy it that only uses the TV a few hours a day and the OB will last them 4-5 years if they're lucky.

Aurora, CO USA

Just to update everyone, I finally received my check from Sony after numereous phone calls and 3 months. Good luck on your situations.

Username: Tv_queen

I turned on my Sony projection tv yesterday and had a problem I have not seen here and wondered if anyone had a suggestion to fix or experience with this. I have magenta outlines on the left side of my screen and text is doubled. The right side is fine. No blobs or fingerprints and no trouble before this. It's a few years old and I still have to dig up receipt/warranty info but I ran across this site and thought I'd ask. Any ideas?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Laura,

What you're describing doesn't ring any bells. Can you take a picture of it and post it to the forum here so we can have a better idea what you're seeing? Also please post the model # and the date that you purchased it as best you can remember. You'll find the model # somewhere on the TV itself.

The magenta issues alone could be optical block related but the text doubling sure doesn't sound like it, so it's probably something else (or two separate problems). Long and short of it is that whatever the problem is, you're probably looking at a fairly expensive repair unless you purchased an extended warranty on the TV. If you did you'll be covered, just follow the instructions that came with your extended warranty.

If you don't have an extended warranty, this isn't the kind of thing you can fix yourself anyway so you should just go ahead and contact a Sony authorized repair center in your area and have them come out and diagnose the issue.

Good luck, please post the information I mentioned as soon as you can.

well i just got mu kdl52w4100 and it is the BOMB im glad sony was good to me in resolving my ob problem good luck

Username: Sandrazil

Add me to the list. I've had a problem since November. I'm calling Sony tomorrow. Wish me luck (yeah.....right!!)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Sorry to have you as a new member of our not so exclusive club Sandra. Please post some details, including model #, when purchased, information about the problem (when it started, what it looks like, etc.), and pictures if possible. Every contribution helps the next person that comes along, and we might be able to give you some advice depending on the information you post.

Eric

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Well, it's been a not-so-pleasant journey, but I'm withdrawing my membership in the Sony rear projection TV club. I made a deal with Sony for a kdl52w4100 for $950 plus tax, in exchange for never bothering them again about my KDF-55WF655 lol. I had the choice of that or the V series model for a little over $800, but it was going for $500 less on their website so it seemed stupid to take a TV worth $500 less and only save $140. From a technical standpoint the V series model would have been just fine as it's nearly identical to the W series in form and function.

I paid $2300 plus shipping for my KDF-55WF655 and the kdl52w4100 is $3K, so at the end of the day they credited me about $2K for my TV which I've had for 3 years, and I think that was very fair (and a better deal than most people got). I was expecting about a $1500 credit toward a new TV based on my purchase price and the time that I owned it. I'm not thrilled that I'm downsizing to a 52" TV since my room is very large and if anything I'd like a larger TV, but there weren't any other options.

I do want to say that although I'm disgusted with this whole ordeal with the Sony rear projection TVs and the way they've handled it, especially prior to the point that they caved and extended the warranties on the Optical Blocks, Sony has been extremely responsive to my issues and they've been very proactive in getting this resolved. I emailed the VP of Worldwide Support on the weekend when I first noticed the blue blob returning for the 3rd time in 3 years, and he returned my email on a Saturday, and I was contacted by one of his staff first thing Monday morning to discuss my options for an exchange or repair. I was unavailable but they contacted me every day for the next 2 or 3 days until we connected. As soon as I made a decision about their offer and which TV I wanted, and submitted a signed agreement, I received a call a couple business days later from the shipping company to arrange for a date they could deliver it. I was also presented with options at a substantially reduced price for purchasing an extended warranty, which of course I did after all the issues with the rear projection.

Anyway, the Bravia is supposed to be delivered this coming Wednesday, and needless to say they didn't want the 55" rear projection back lol. My biggest problem now is figuring out what the heck I'm going to do with it since nobody would want to buy it needing a new optical block.

I'll post again after my new TV is set up to let everyone know the transaction was completed and how I like. I will also continue to contribute to this board and do whatever I can to help others that are unfortunate enough to have purchased a Sony rear projection TV. I only pray that there isn't some similar problem lurking in the LCDs that's yet to be discovered, but I did as much research online as I could before making the decision to get it, and I couldn't find anything.

Username: Jerseygirlinaz

Arizona

I have the KDFE50A10, (purch 1/07). and have had the blue blob issues for about 2 weeks. I am so angry with Sony customer service...they act like this is the first time they heard of this issue. I have spoken with 2 level one CSR's and 1 level two CSR last week. After going through the usual BS I was told "my tv needs service"....DUH!!!.....Ya think???. After reading this forum it's quite obvious it's the optical block. So my question is, is it or is it not covered by the original warranty? My warranty card says it has a 2 yr warranty on the "tube"...is this considered the tube? Why didn't anyone from Sony tell me this? They all said it was not covered. Spending $1300 to fix this is not an option, and even if I could afford to fix it, I wouldn't spend $1300 to fix a set that is only a year and a half old!!! That is just crazy...I have always purchased Sony products, because they had the best reputation and used to stand behind their products....What happened?}

Aurora, CO USA

Hi Karen,
Call the dealer you purchased the set from, it should be covered under warranty. Sony will cover the repair cost if repaired prior to June 08 or Dec 08,(depending on the model). You have to check their web site to be sure.

Arizona

I purchased it at Sam's Club and they will not take it back. Sony states that this model is NOT covered under any warranty or recall. I also spoke with one of Sony's certified repair centers and they confirmed that is is not part of any warranty/recall. They said the "picture tube" 2 year warranty is only for their sets that have picture tubes and that the OB is not considered the picture tube, so therefore NOT covered. I would have to pay $95 for the service call and then the repairs of about $1,000.....So I guess my next step is to go further up. Anyone know where that might be?

Aurora, CO USA

WOW!
And I just joined Sam's Club. I don't know what you paid for the TV but Consumer Reports advises to junk it if it is over 5 years old. I had a big problem with Sony (read my posts above) trying to get reimbursement for a $1300.00 repair for the optical block.
One Sony supv told a poster that for every customer they lose they gain one. I will NEVER Sony again.

My advice is to junk it.

Aurora, CO USA

Laura P'
I had a similiar problem but with purple spider web type lines that moved as if in the wind. It was solved by the serviceman with canned air.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Karen,

Sorry to hear that you purchased a sony rear projection TV. I'm guessing you use your TV quite a bit, because the rate of optical block failure is directly related to usage, not age. If you run your TV 24/7/365, it will faily roughly every 10-12 months. 95% of owners go through an optical block every 2-3 years (what a coincidence that they only give a 2 year warranty on the optical on the models that specify optical block instead of the phantom color picture tube). Sadly, you're in the unfortunate position of owning a model that is new enough that not very many people have reported the blue blob problem yet, and as such, Sony has not made any effort to extend the warranties on the Optical blocks for those models as they did on a number of models that were sold in late 2004 and 2005. They only did that because a sufficient number of owners of those models complained about the problem, and because of this board, where the owners were able to find out that they were far from alone and that this wasn't a random or rare occurrence with a limited number of optical blocks or models. And lastly, because they were facing a class action lawsuit.

You're also apparently the owner of a warranty that happens to have the "color picture tube" verbage in it rather than the "optical block" verbage that appears on some rear projection TV warranty cards in the exact same place, only the words are changed. Funny thing is, there IS no color picture tube on a rear projection TV, there is only the optical block. I haven't looked at ALL of the warranty cards for all of the models, but if I recollect, the words "optical block" appeared on the older rear projection TVs built in 2004 and 2003, and then the verbage suddenly changed to "color picture tube". If that's true, and given the well documented nature of this problem and how expensive it is for Sony to address it under the warranty, it would appear to be an obvious attempt to avoid covering the problems with their optical blocks. Warranty cards are specific to each model or group of models, they don't have verbage in them to cover every make/model/type of TV Sony has ever made, so any assertion that the 'color picture tube' verbage was only supposed to apply to TVs that HAVE a picture tube, is total hogwash.

Anyway, you're basically between a rock and a hard place at the moment but you DO have options and you will very likely get a measure of justice. Unfortunately, the first thing you have to do is get it formerly diagnosed by a Sony authorized service rep, you can contact Sony to get a list of them or you can find them online. Nothing will be done without a professional diagnosis. You will have to pay for this up front but you may get it covered later. Next, since you're within the 2 years that many of the warranty cards provide coverage on the optical block rather than the phantom, non-existent color picture tube, I would locate one or more models online with a warranty card that has the optical block verbage where they've now substituted it for the color picture tube, then approach Sony about it and ask them about the change in the verbage when the TVs are designed exactly the same, and the fact that there is no "color picture tube" in a rear projection TV, there is only the optical block which serves that same function. OBVIOUSLY it's either a "typo" (yeah right), or they intentionally changed the verbage to create confusion for the customers who suffer from this problem and to avoid shelling out $ for free repairs. You can locate the warranty cards for various models here, just type in the model number you're looking for and click on the link to look at the warranty card (you'll need to do a little research to find the various model numbers produced between 2003 and 2006) http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=KDFE50A10.

If you don't get anywhere over the phone with the BS switch in the warranty card verbage, you're going to need to follow the instructions that have been outlined many times on this forum, which involves writing a physical letter to the Sony Executive Review Committee (ERC) and CC'ing a copy of it to Sir Howard Stringer, CEO, detailing the nature of your problem and your frustrations, the issue with the switch in the warranty card verbage, and the fact that this is a WELL documented problem with ALL Sony rear projection TVs due to the defective Optical Blocks. You can find sample letters that others have written on this forum by doing some searching for the proper keywords, and use that letter as a base for writing yours if you wish. I would especially point out how unhappy you are that Sony has only extended the warranty on the Optical Blocks for TVs suffering from this problem that were built prior to your model, when they know full well the defect exists in the A10 series optical blocks. I would also point out how negligent they were in continuing to utilize what they KNEW by that point was a defective Optical block design, from the thousands of complaints they had received BEFORE they started producing and selling the A10 models.

Let Sony know that this situation is totally unacceptable and that you want your repair covered immediately, OR (at your discretion), let them know you do not want to continue to own what is obviously a defective television which will fail every 1-2 years depending on usage and will require a $1300 repair. Tell them you want to be credited toward the purchase of a Sony LCD model which does not suffer from the defective optical blocks in all of the Sony rear projection TVs. I highly reccommend doing this because if you don't, even if sony repairs it for free you're going to be back in the same boat in 1-3 years depending on how much you use your TV. They have NOT fixed the problem with the optical blocks, so any repair is temporary and the problem will reoccur.

That's about it. You can get the addresses for the Sony ERC and Sir Howard Stringer from searching this forum. Just search for those key words and you'll eventually find what you need. I can't stress enough that you must write the letter to the ERC and Stringer if you strike out over the phone with the warranty card issue. Virtually everybody that has followed these steps and written the letters has gotten all or part of their repair covered (in your case it should be all since your model is so new), or they've been credited toward a new TV of their choice. Keep us posted on your progress and the resolution.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Dock,

Her model is not included in any of the extended warranties because it's too new. Unless or until Sony extends the warranties on the Optical Blocks for the A10 series, those owners are out of luck. They'll need to keep up the pressure to make that happen.

Arizona

Eric, yes we watch a lot of tv here, the set is on almost 24/7/365.Thanks for the info. I will get letters out today, and in the meantime I will research the warranty card verbage. Up until this I was very satisfied with the tv (with the exception of having to replace the lamp already, and about to replace it again.

Bronze Member
Username: Cyfairslam

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 13
I have a KDF-55WF655. Today, for the first time, I noticed the blue blob in the lower right hand corner of my TV. I bought the set in Jan. of 2005 and replaced the bulb about 4 months ago. It appears that the set is failing just about right on schedule as others have experienced.

How long does it typically take for the blue to start moving more into the center of the screen?

The TV is very watchable at this point. It appears I have a December of 2008 time frame to report the problem. However, I think it would be best to report it when it becomes a more serious problem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Karen,

LOL, I knew you had to be a pretty heavy viewer. Mine literally stays on 24/7 and fails about once a year. The sooner you get those letters out the better, but don't forget to get a service rep out ASAP to diagnose the TV, nothing will happen without a formal diagnosis. We all know it sucks because everybody here knows what the problem is and it doesn't take someone coming to our homes to tell us what we already know, but you have to go through the motions.

Yeah the lamp thing sucks too... if I'd known I was going to have to spend a couple hundred (about $400 if you pay someone else to do it) about once a year for a new lamp I wouldn't have bought the TV. Ironically, the optical block fails faster than the lamp, so they should have put an 8000 hour rating on the Optical blocks as well as the lamps. Call me crazy but I just don't think they would have sold as many TVs if people knew they'd have to spend $1300 for a new optical block and $200+ for a new lamp every 1-2 years.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Cyfairslam,

You're in luck, that's the same model I have and it's one of the ones covered by the extended warranty on the optical block for owners with the infamous blue blob. As you already know, you have until Dec 31 of this year to have it fixed. However, the blue blob will progress very rapidly depending on how much you watch it. If you leave your TV on all the time it will be very noticable within a week, and quite annyoying withn 2 weeks. Within a month it will cover about 20% of the screen and will be much brighter. Within two months it will cover 50-60% of the screen and will be very bright, making your TV very unenjoyable and annoying to watch. Figure out how much you watch your TV and change those estimates accordingly.

I suggest you immediately start the process of getting it repaired, there's no reason to wait since Sony will cover 100% of the cost and you won't have to pay a penny up front or out of pocket. Just contact Sony about the problem, let them know you're sure it's the optical block and that you're aware of the extended warranty. They'll create an incident number and provide you a list of service centers in your area that you can contact to get it formerly diagnosed. Someone will come out, take 30 seconds and confirm it's the optical block, then they'll order a replacement optical block, replace yours, and Sony will cover everything. The whole thing should take under 30 days. By that time your TV will be pretty annoying unless you barely use it, so get on it right away. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to take your TV in to get it diagnosed on matter where you live, they have to come to your home.

Bronze Member
Username: Cyfairslam

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 14
Thanks Eric

I think I will get the process started next week.

Arizona

I just got off the phone with Sony for the 4th time in 4 days...! At first, he said that I could have it fixed and it would be covered under the warranty ( I had already given him my model/serial numbers). When I told him the Sony "certified" repair center said it was not covered, he said hold on, then came back on and said "I am sorry to have to tell you that it is only a one year warranty on your model"....Why is it that they ALWAYS give you the runaround BS first??? When I asked if he would clarify the warranty verbage regarding the 'picture tube'...he just kept repeating that there is no picture tube in this model therefore, the warranty is only 1yr on all parts! He is very sorry for my inconvience. Yeah right!
I have proceeded with the letter to the ERC, and Sir Howard Stringer. I will not let up and I WILL find all the forums and post about my bad experience with them.
This IS UNACCEPTABLE!
I think what bothers me more than anything is that I worked a second job and saved every dime for months to be able to buy this set...and I researched everything, I was so proud of myself. I even gave the old set to my daughter for her college dorm....We are such TV addicts here, and I am afraid I will have no TV at all soon! Lets hope someone at Sony wakes up soon!
Cyfairslam, I wouldn't wait till next week, you may not be able to get the part right away.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Just another reminder: if you experience an issue like this after the one-year manufacturer warranty has expired, but within two years of purchase, and if you paid for the TV with a Visa or MasterCard gold or platinum card (or other credit card with warranty doubling), you should be able to submit the repair bill for reimbursement through your credit card plan. I ALWAYS pay for items with warranties with a platinum card to double the warranty, particularly on such large purchases. Another reminder is that I have a Sony optical block problem web site that collates information from many different sources on this issue.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
I sympathize with your plight Karen, a big screen TV is something a family should only have to invest in perhaps once every 10-15 years. Heaven knows the tube televisions lasted at least that long. I still have Sony Trinitrons in my house that are at least 15 years old and have never been serviced for any reason. You have every right to be upset about this situation, and you can understand why Sony isn't producing rear projection TVs any longer.

The warranty card thing is really BS. That's a bunch of crap about the picture tube, it quite clearly used to read "optical block" in the first generation rear projections they sold in 2003-2004, and then they changed the verbage. You can see for yourself if you look up the warranty cards. They had already stopped producing tube TVs before 2004, so it's absurd that they would suddenly replace the correct wording with verbage about a technology they no longer even produced, on warranty cards for TVs that don't even have tubes. Of course the front level support person you get is clueless though and you won't get anywhere with this argument (exactly what Sony had in mind no doubt when they changed the verbage).

BTW, Steve makes a very good point about the credit card warranty doubling, one I often forget since I've never taken advantage of it even though I buy everything by credit card. It's very likely that's how you paid for it, if so check your card's benefits and you'll probably find that they double the warranty. Also, Steve's website has a lot of useful information, he's been a major contributor to this board for over a year as well.

Hang in there, you'll get a measure of justice. I do advise you to get rid of that TV one way or another though as quickly as possible, either by exchanging it through Sony or selling it outright once Sony pays for the repair.

Username: Pswen

Eric - I haven't seen any posts on my issue so here goes. I have a Sony
KDFE50A10. About a week ago I saw a series (28) of small blocks, about
1/2 inch square, appear horizontally across bottom of screen. The
blocks are pixel-like. Within 2 days there are 6 of these rows. All
inputs effected. Did a reset as instructed by Sony. No help.
Authorized repair coming to look this thurs. Optical Block?? Any help
would be appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Paul,

Please post pictures of your problem if at all possible. Please take a look at the pictures halfway down the page from this archive and see if they match the problem you're describing, there are two separate posts with pictures so look at them both: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/430026.html. The problem sounds the same and the model number of the TV was the same. Unfortunately it was diagnosed as being a faulty "B Box" (which I thought was actually called a "B Board" unless there are both boxes and boards). The repair was startling expensive, even more than the optical block, at an estimated $1500-$1700.

When was the TV purchased, are you outside the 1 year warranty and did you purchase an extended warranty? If you have any valid warranty you'll be fine. As Steve reminded Karen yesterday, if you purchased it on a reputable credit card it's very possible it offers the benefit of doubling all manufacturers warranties, I know most of mine do, so be sure to look into that. No matter what you're going to need to get that diagnosis done so move forward with that.

Since your TV is still relatively new and probably just outside of the warranty window, if your credit card won't cover it you should do what others have done and write the Sony ERC and CC Sir Howard Stringer about the problem. You'll find complete instructions in previous posts, just search for those key words. State in your letter that you paid a lot of money for your Sony TV and expect such a reputable brand name *cough* to be trouble free for many years. Having to pay nearly the full cost of the TV for a repair less than 2 years after you purchased it is totally unacceptable, and others have reported the same problem. Let them know you're also aware of the widespread problem with their optical blocks in all of their rear projection TVs, and are upset yours is probably going to suffer from that problem in time.

I suggest you ask for a pathway to exchange it for an LCD, which will require some out of pocket money from you, or you can ask them to compensate you for the repairs. In all likelihood they will offer to pay for 1/2 the parts and labor, or just the parts if you go the compensation route. Thing is, you're almost certainly going to fall victim to the optical block problem, so my suggestion is to exchange it for an LCD sooner than later since they typically pro-rate your TV base on how long you've owned it.

Eric
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us