Archive through November 29, 2007

Username: Pplenty

Post Number: 1
Wow! You guys are amazing!! You did all my homework for me. This happened to our TV starting last night. 2004 Sony Grand Wega KDF-42WE655.

I panicked when I remembered we bought our extended warranty (which expires next month)at The Good Guys, which is now defunct. Luckily, GE is has taken over all their warranty administration. So we are starting our journey today with a service call to the tech service GE contracts with and awaiting a home visit. I will post our progress.

Again, thanks Patti

Username: Bwchambers

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 4
Folks:

Just a quick update on my Blue Dot saga (which by the way continues to get worse on the KF-50WE610). I spoke with Sony Canada this morning and they have offered me the following:

KDL46S3000 (retail $2199) + 2 yr Extended Warranty

For $1150 plus taxes. As I figured it - The TV retails for $2199 and the extended warranty is $249, total $2448, which equates to basically a $1300 credit for a TV that I paid $5K for less than 4 years ago. Doesn't seem like a lot but it is at least a starting point. I'm not a lawyer, but by making an offer aren't they pretty much accepting/admitting fault for the issue. Now its just a matter of what is agreed to as an acceptable solution?

I have gone back to them and enquired as to what they could do on either the KDL52XBR4 or KDL52W3000. My thought process is that I spent $5K on a TV that I expected to last 10 years. Given the fact that we aren't even at the 1/2 way mark of the lifecycle, I'd like to see approximately half of my investment in credit towards a new TV. Make sense?

Thoughts, advice, comments would be truly appreciated!

Thanks!

Username: Boxermom

Louisiana

Well we had our optical block corrected today with a new light engine so no more green and yellow crap on the screen.
BUT............
Now we have PURPLE!
Oh yes! Rachel Ray was cooking with purple asparagus and purple green beans!
Sony was closed today for 'training' so the tech could not call them to see what is going on. He said this was the first time he has ever seen this and he has done 2 dozen optical block repairs so far. He said chances are it is a bad part,,,,which he has JUST replaced.
So he will call them tomorrow and get back with us.
We are so frustrated at this point I cannot even tell you!!

Bronze Member
Username: Edenney

Post Number: 47
Brad,

In most of the previous offers that Sony has made they've suggested that it was based on a 7 year life expectancy, so although it seems reasonable to expect a TV to last 10 years (and the old CRT TVs usually lasted a lot longer than that), Sony seems to have taken a 7 year position. You can go through old posts here to dig up evidence of this and use it in your efforts against Sony, since they shouldn't just be randomly making the rules up as they go along. In my estimation you should get about a 2K credit for your TV if you paid $5K for it 4 years ago, but Sony usually doesn't budge much from their initial offer once they make it. With prices dropping a lot in the last 4 years and these TVs being so problematic, your best bet is probably to take their offer and get into a new TV with an extended warranty.

Username: Dawn_y

Post Number: 9
Brad, I had the same TV and in getting prices I asked for prices on the recently discontinued models. We got the KDL46V2500 and it was $620 vs $1200 for the 3000.(These are US prices-our original unit was $3400)I paid $100 for the extended warranty plus tax but they paid shipping. Maybe you can get a better deal asking for last years models.

Username: Bwchambers

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 5
Eric, Dawn:

Thanks for your feedback and assistance - it is appreciated! Well, I had a couple of calls with Sony yesterday and things didn't go very well. Eric - you were dead on with respect Sony not budging from their initial offer. They did however come back with two additional options:

KDL52W3000 - $2450 + Tax (3yr Warranty)
KDL52XBR4 - $2950 + Tax (3yr Warranty)

Basically - exact same credit off of retail price ($1050 + addl warranty) irrespective of the cost or retail price of the replacement product.

I ended up speaking with at least 2 different levels at Sony Customer Care yesterday and two comments were very striking - 1. Sony doesn't guarantee or state in any way that their products will perform beyond the products warranty period and 2. Sony is not in the business of negotiating offers and as such, no further offers/options will be presented. I have asked to speak to the next level mgr and am awaiting a call from them sometime over the next couple of days.

I by no means am trying to be difficult in this situation. I understand the complexities of the technology industry with combined increases in technology and diminishing retail and manufacturer costs, but at the same time, as consumers, we buy products with a certain expectation. I understand that technology changes and that costs have significantly decreased, but at the same time, as a consumer, I purchased a product with certain expectations and if those expectations had been met or even reasonably close, this would be a non issue. Right or wrong, when I purchased this TV (which at the time was one of Sony's premium products) I expected it to last 7-10 years. I certainly didn't expect to have to be paying to replace it in less than 4 years. Furthermore, if this was a unique situation, or our usage was a direct cause of the problem, I could certainly understand Sony's reluctance to adequately resolve the problem. However, based on my research, this is a very well documented and known problem and as such, as a consumer, I feel as though Sony should take responsibility for this issue and at a minimum, be a little more reasonable with respect to an adequate settlement or resolution.

In my opinion, right or wrong (again), manufacturers have to have some level of corporate conscience or responsibility if they expect consumers to continue to support their products and/or dealers. Its about correcting mistakes, problems and/or issues and accepting responsibility as a manufacturer that you stand proudly behind the products that you manufacture and sell.

That being said, when you combine the purchase price of the TV, the TV specific stand, a new bulb (purchased last year), applicable taxes and the cost of the service call from Quality Sonnx, I have over $6000.00 invested in this TV. To receive an offer from Sony of approximately $1300 (including cost of 2 year service contract) off of the RETAIL COST to purchase a new TV, isn't in my opinion, a fair and equitable resolution to this matter.

This battle (for lack of a better term) is not something that I am going to walk away from. I am not prepared to settle for Sony's last offer as I truly believe (as noted above) that as consumers, it not unrealistic to expect a product to perform to a certain standard based on our investment in that product. Perfect example - a couple of years ago I bought a Sony DVD player for a couple of hundred $. It lasted about 2 years and when it died, I didn't have any issue replacing it as I believed as a consumer, I got decent value for the investment. It was in a sense "disposable" based on the investment and subsequent replacement cost. However, these TV's are a different issue. We've all made significant investments in the product and I as a consumer expect more from a $5K+ investment in a TV than I do in a $200 DVD player.

Furthermore, irrespective of the model of TV you have, all the issues, problems, etc., outlined in this forum, other forums, the class action lawsuits, etc. relate back to one defective component - Sony's optical block. You can't tell me that Sony isn't aware of the magnitude of the problem nor could you convince me that they shouldn't accept responsibility for the problems. Their reluctance, inconsistencies with respect to settlement and the hoops that they are making us all go through are absurb.

Fortunately, as consumers, we are somewhat protected under the law with respect to breach of contract and consumer protection legislation and if need be, as noted above, I am more than prepared to take this as far as I need be to get a fair and equitable resolution to this problem.

Its now far more than economics - its about principles.

Sorry about the soapbox!

Thanks again for everything!

Username: Pkretz

Austin, TX USA

Post Number: 2
Brad... Amen... I think you'll find vehement agreement from most everyone else in this forum. You are absolutely right, and I don't mind at all reading your views.

You're in a position to make a decision if an offer of $1300 from Sony is reasonable, or if you want to pursue other options. Leaving out the product failure issues for the moment, a 52W3000 LCD flat panel for equiv price of approx $2200 is pretty sweet, if you like that TV... you need to get a new TV regardless. Contrast that however, with Samsung HPT5064 Plasma (very nice flat panel, currently about $1600 from various vendors) and it gets more complicated.

Also, compare your current status with mine - I described in post earlier this month. We have the same model HDTV, purchased at same time (7/04 for me), with the same specific problem, and followed the same escalation path with Sony for resolution. Unlike you, Dawn, and several others posting here, Sony has offered me nothing -- just advised that I'm out of warranty and we're done.

In my case, I have now written back specifically to CEO Sir Howard Stringer (with cc to Exec Review Committee) outlining my issue with apparent arbitrary and capricious response from Sony for this known and acknowledged defect in design or manufacture. As of today, I'm still waiting for a response -- we'll see.

Like you, I am ready and willing to take my case further -- perhaps to small claims court in Texas as has been recommended and outlined in prior posts. I don't know if your legal options are different in Canada. I'll post further updates as this proceeds for me.

I echo your comments... it is absurd, and unacceptable, that a company with Sony's reputation is putting us through this. It will certainly influence my future purchases, and what I tell family and friends... as it will for many, many others. Good luck with your decision.

Username: Jackpiner

I also have Sony KF50WE610 purchased in November 2003, as with many others mine also has a defective optical engine. My screen is completely green. The cost for the repair is $1350, quite a large sum for a TV this old.
I talked to a level 2 Sony customer support agent and was told that there was no coverage for my problem, only the scribble pattern was covered under their additional warranty that expired 9-30-2007. My TV has no additional coverage.
What a bunch of B.S they know that this model has an inherent design problem but they refuse to back this product.
My next step is to write the review board and the CEO. But I don't anticipate a better outcome; Sony is not acknowledging any problems with this unit.

Username: Gfranchu

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

After reading about all the problems associated with the "blue blob" I contacted Sony Canada concering the problem with my Model KF42WE610, 42" LCD set and sent the following "This TV was purchased on July 18, 2004. At the time of purchase I also included the extended warranty for 2 additional years. Within the last couple of weeks the TV has developed the Blue Blob at the bottom of the screen and searching the Internet it appears that this is a common problem with your sets - the Blob occurs just after the warranty period is up. The label on the back of the set indicates that the unit was manufactured on April 11, 2004.

The Internet appears to indicate that the problem is with an optical block in the sets electronics and the cost of repair is substantial - in the area of $1,000. I am not impressed with having to pay this amount for a 3 year old set that cost $3,500 to purchase.

Is there any recalls/warranties on these problems?

At the time that this set was bought we also purchased a Home Theatre system that had to be totally rebuilt because of a defective circuit board within 2 years of purchase. It appears that during the time of manufacture the quality control at your factory or your component suppliers was not up to par.

Please advise if there is any rebates on the required repair to the TV."

Sony's reply was "Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.

We are sorry that there is no recall on this Sony KF42WE610 TV. Based on the information provided, it appears that your unit needs a service. It takes rocket science to figure that out?}

You can obtain the location and contact for your nearest Sony Authorized Service Center on our website at:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/service

We certainly understand your concern regarding the service estimate you received. Although we work hard to keep our costs well in line with other electronic manufacturers, repairs can be quite expensive. We sincerely regret that you feel our costs exceed your expectations.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

In plain language "tough luck", the cost of repairs is your problem.

I will not repair the set but will replace it with any brand other than a Sony and will advise anyone contemplating purchasing a new LCD TV and/or home theatre to buy anything but Sony as Sony appears to have very poor reliability factor.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Glen,

Did you follow the same course of actions that most everyone else on this board has suggested and done, by contacting Sony's ERC and CC'ing Sir Howard Stringer CEO, or did you just contact the front line support contact for Sony? You won't get anywhere with the front line support, you have to write a letter to the ERC for anything other than the form response that you received. If you haven't done this there are excellent sample letters that others have posted previously on this board which you can practically copy word for word to save yourself time and effort.

On a side note...

I think at this point in time, the hundreds and thousands of us that have experienced this problem and found our way to this board, need to figure out an effective strategy to warn and stop people from buying Sony Rear Projection TVs. I guarantee you that if I had any clue that there was a problem of this nature with these TVs, how much it would cost to fix, and that it would happen almost exactly every 12 months (with as much as I use my TV), I wouldn't have touched this TV with a 10 foot pole, and I'd bet that almost nobody else would either. The problem is that people only find their way here when they search for something like "Blue Blob" + Sony, and they'll virtually never find out about this problem while just searching for a TV to purchase.

The only way that Sony's going to stand up and take notice of this problem is either A) A Class Action lawsuit (which is in the infant stages of development at this point), and/or B) a substantial drop in sales as a result of public awareness of this ongoing problem, which has STILL not been corrected in their new models after 4 years of cranking out hundreds of thousands if not millions of defective rear projection TVs.

I wish someone else had made an effort to make me aware of this problem before I bought my 55" TV at no small expense, and we really owe it to others to do the same. The fringe benefit is that if Sony sees an effective, active campaign to raise awareness of this problem with consumers, as well as a decrease in sales, they may finally take some real action and at least FIX the damn problem, which to date they apparently still haven't done in even the newest models (based on recent reports on this site).

Bottom line, someone's going to need to build a simple web page describing the problem, and register it effectively with all of the search engines so that anytime someone searches for a new TV (especially Sony and/or rear projection) they're going to have a good chance of seeing a link to this web page. Even if it's by subterfuge, with the search result link claiming to have the lowest prices on Sony TVs :-). Whatever it takes to get prospective buyers to a site where we can raise awareness of this problem. Word of mouth is a very effective medium, and if we can start making the general public aware of this problem, and Sony's pathetic response to those who have experienced it, the word will start to spread. But at this point nobody's ever going to know until it's too late and they're stuck with the world's largest and most expensive paperweight in their home.

That's my 2 cents...

Username: Gerardlambert

Las Vegas, Nevada USA

I have a Sony KDF-E50A10 manufactured February 2006. I have had the set now for about 18 months.

My problem started happening the other day and has not stopped. I am currently waiting for an authorized Sony repair serviceman to grace me with his pressence.

Whenever I turn my tv on it runs for about 2 minutes perfectly fine both picture and audio then both audio and picture abruptly turn off and the green power/standby blinks continuously with no pattern for about 30 seconds or so and then the tv turns back on. This cycle continues like this for as long as I have had the patience to sit to see if it would just stay on. My patience ran out at an hour.

I called Sony service and they said a patch had been issued to solve this sort of problem. However, my serial number did not match units that needed the patch. We even unplugged the tv so it could reset to no avail. The Sony operator quickly gave up and directed me towards a repair outfit.

Being a self proclaimed know it all...I decided to try to self diagnose the problem. I thought that maybe the unit was overheating and turning itself off then back on so I cleaned the fans and gently vacuumed any dust I could see. I even removed the lamp and carefully cleaned it and the chamber it sits within. That would of been too easy and of course it did not resolve the situation.

I even tried the self diagnosis of (display, channel, 5, volume minus, then power) to only tell me there was one problem noted with the lamp. I don't understand this because my picture is perfectly fine when it is on.

I read on another blog that turning on and off with continuous blinking in between meant 'no reply from the jungle IC301 (data bus is busy, shorted to ground, or held high), IK video path is defective'. What the hell does that mean???

In the meantime I have given up and will be waiting for the repair man to tell me my unit is broken and will require a lot of money to fix.

If anybody has any answers I am all ears.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Gerard,

You didn't say anything about replacing the lamp yet and your symptoms perfectly match those of a lamp on it's death bed. You might have also noticed that when the TV turns back on the picture is dimmer than usual, and may or may not brighten up before it turns off again and the cycle repeates. They usually last 12-18 months give or take (up to 8000+ hours) depending on how much you use the TV and how often you turn it off and on. There's a way to see how many hours the lamp has been used but I forget how, though I'm sure someone else on this board can tell you.

You're outside the warranty period for everything but the Optical Block so you're going to have to pay for the service call which isn't cheap, so I suggest cancelling it and replacing the lamp if you haven't already done that before you waste your money. The lamps run around $200 give or take as I recall depending on where you get them. You can find and order them online and it's easy to replace yourself, you definitely don't need a tech to do it. By the way, if you had an extended warranty it would most likely cover the lamp replacement which obviously isn't cheap, so it's another good reason for purchasing an extended warranty with any new rear projection TV.

Bronze Member
Username: Slinke

Post Number: 25
I have instructions on how to check lamp hours and cycles in the service menu for at least some Sony rear-projection models on my Sony optical block problems web pages. Look under the "Sony Service Menu - Checking and Resetting Lamp Hours" link there.

Username: Gerardlambert

Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Eric,
Thanks for helping out a HD rookie and saving me money! I'll give it a try and let you know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
No problem, that's what we're all here for. The first time my TV started exhibiting those symptoms I freaked out too. A TV endlessly turning off and on accompanied by a slough of blinking lights sure doesn't seem like the kind of behavior you'd expect when a lamp is reaching the end of it's life cycle, but that's what these Sony TVs do. Like you, I thought for sure I had some major problem with my TV, but I have no doubt that you just need to replace your lamp, especially since your diagnostic indicates that there's an issue with the lamp (which I didn't even notice until after I replied to your message).

You should follow the instructions on Steve's web page for checking the number of hours the lamp has been used, just so you know how many hours you got out of your first lamp and so you'll have an idea of when you'll need another one. You can buy a lamp from a local store or repair shop for a little more money if you want it fixed faster, or order it online for cheaper and wait slightly longer for it to arrive. Let us know when you've got it resolved.

Austin, TX USA

Post Number: 3
Update on my blue blob status, with KF50WE610. As posted previously, I've reached no resolution through escalation process with Exec Review Committee. I wrote back to CEO, Sir Howard Stringer with specific request to consider the arbitrary responses Sony is making to many of us with this problem. Jose from ERC called me back... this time, as a good will gesture, he offered that Sony would pay for 1/2 of the cost of a replacement Opt Engine part. While I appreciate any gesture (vs. complete denial), they are once again consistently inconsistent.

Net is, that Sony offered to pay for 1/2 of $1350 part cost (I know, that is too high but was my official estimate), for total of $675. My net status would then be, that I would have to invest additional $1275 to repair a 3 yr old, $3000 TV. I declined their offer.

My next step, as discussed in prior posts, is to pursue in Small Claims court - this has now become a "civics lesson" for me. There are specific procedures that apply to Texas Small Claims courts, including filing no sooner than 60 days after my demand letter, finding a specific name and address to name in filing (registered agent), etc... but this is (sort-of) interesting. I'll advise of status.

I am investigating further about implied warranty of merchantability, which I think forms a reasonable basis for claim - i.e. Sony recognizes this defect and has extended service coverage in many similar models (50WE620, for example), and has chosen to offer accommodation (noted in this forum) to others in same specific status.

I appreciate comments provided from others in this forum so far. If anyone has specific Small Claims experience, or is also choosing to take this path now, I would be happy to talk further - send me a private follow-up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Good luck with your small claims case Peter. You will be the first person from this board to actually take their case to small claims, since most everyone else has received and accepted what they deemed to be a reasonable offer from Sony.

I believe you were the one with the insane $1950 repair cost, about $600-$800 more than anyone else on this board has experienced. With the ridiculous amount that facility is charging for labor and parts, I can understand why you wouldn't be satisfied with Sony just paying for half of the part cost. Under normal circumstances where a company is typically charging no more than $1200 for the entire repair, 2/3s of which is the part cost, having Sony pay for half of that $900 part isn't entirely unreasonable.

Still, in my opinion Sony should be paying the FULL expense for the replacement of this CLEARLY defective part (which they've knowingly continued to use in over a dozen models for 3+ years) for the reasonable life of the TV, or offering a pro-rated trade in value based on at least a 7 year life span.

I have no doubt that you will be vindicated in small claims court where this case belongs (in addition to a class action lawsuit). As you go about your case, please post any information that would be helpful to others here who are considering the same course of action. It sounds like you've already done some preliminary research on the subject, be sure to visit NOLO.COM and utilize the excellent literature they provide for anyone wishing to represent themselves at any level of the court system.

Username: Gfranchu

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

For anyone having to replace a lamp on their Sony LCD the best thing that I found was to find the lamp number (in your user manual)and then look for it on Ebay. There are a number of companies that sell the lamp only - not the lamp with the case/holder as Sony does. Sony's charge for an XL-2100 lamp with case is $315.00. I got an identical lamp without the case for $135.00 on Ebay and its extremely easy to remove the old lamp and install the new one in the case/lamp holder - just remember to wear gloves so you don't touch the new lamp with your bare hands as the old on your hands causes early failure. For that price I now have a spare so I don't have to wait when the next lamp goes.
My first lamp went in about 2 1/2 years and contrary to what some say NO ONE covers lamps under warranty for much over 30 to 90 days. Extended warranties do not cover lamps.

Username: Butwhydoitalk2u

Cutler bay, Florida

i just started having a problem with my kf50we610. it has blue vertical lines every inch or so across the entire screen. What can be the cause, the optical garbage?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
By any chance, does anybody have any web material from Sony's former "stationary scribble/random line pattern" extended service coverage web pages? They seem to have removed it, as links to it no longer work. For example, I am interested in an image (PDF, screen capture, etc.) of the main page and the claim form that was linked there. The sample photos are actually still there, and I found that everything is still on the Sony Canada support site. I just wanted an archive of the Sony US web site, as people have started to report this problem cropping up after the expiration of the coverage.

I have updated my web page to reflect the removal of the Sony US support page.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Roberto, one of my failed optical block replacements, had a series of vertical lines, but they were multi-colored and were very tightly spaced such that I could really see much behind them. Your problem sounds different, but in my case, it was yet another problem with the optical block. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if this sort of problem could also arise from a bad circuit board, as well. See this post for a photo of my problem.

Post Number: 10
Steve, Go back to June 23 post from Greg Belloni. He has a couple of links to Sony about extended service. If I remember correctly there were several others in that time frame also.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Thanks, Dawn. I found a link to the old claim form in Greg's post, and I added it to my web page.

Username: Zach12

Miami, Fl Usa

Hello All,

I'd like to thank every one on this forum!
A few days ago my KDF60XBR950 started with a
blue line on the bottom on the screen right side, I never had a pronlem with this TV until
March of this year, when the lamp burnt out.
I had it since Sept. 2005. That really wasn't a problem but no one ever told me about the lamps.
Okay fastforward to last week the blue line appears with some haze on the screen.
yesterday it got worse.
So I called customer service with my concerns,
the service rep. was really bad, barley spoke english!. After a 10 min. conversation???
I was told there was nothing they could do for me. Well that really PO"d me, So I went online
and found this wonderful forum! Let me tell you I learned allot fast. Today, I tried to turn on
the set and it clicked and the screen went blank,
then the lamp light came on. Well that was it now I was really mad at Sony. So after reading the information in here, I called Sony this time I was not so nice without being rude, after going thru the blah, blah, blah, I was told srry there's nothing we can do, my reply was this is unacceptable so when I got firm, they transfered me to customer relations a guy named Robert, armed with my info I told him, how could Sony have known about these problems and never notified their customers? he stayed quiet and then he told me to have my local authorized Sony look at the set! I know what the diagnosis will be! So here starts my jouney with Sony at the wheel.

My question is what is the best way to proceed from this point? or should I wait to see what they offer? I really don't want the set anymore
even if they fix for free or for labor only.
I think even if its fixed YV, it will happen again in 2 years from now! then what I'm sure Sony wont fix it again! so for the bargin price of $5000.00 plus including the sony stand. I will use this tv for ony 5 years only maybe?
What's that $1000.00 per year plus the lamps?

Please send any advice!

Zach

Username: Pplenty

We had the etch-a-sketch, optical block, yellow blob issue on our 2004 42" LCD Sony. For some unknown reason we bought the 3-year extended warranty (we never fall for that sales pitch at the electronics store). Thank goodness we did this time.

I guess the message is, until they perfect the technology, buy the extended warranty. It certainly was worth it for us.

We bought the TV at The Good Guys (which has since folded) and GE is now servicing their warranties. They came out, replaced the optical block, and the problem is gone. No charge, thank you very much. Thanks for all the info on this site. It really made us informed consumers on this apparently latent defect.

PJP

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Zach,

Sorry to have you as a new member to our club, but at least you have the benefit of our collective experiences. Sony sure hasn't proactively contacted any of their customers about this issue nor issued anything remotely close to a public statement about it. They've somehow managed to keep this completely off the radar from prospective buyers.

Anyway, your question has been answered on average about every 10th post or so, so just look back through recent posts and you'll find explicit instructions on what to do if your TV isn't covered by Sony's recent extended service bulletin for TVs that have the blue blob problem. If you don't want to look through them manually some good key words to search for are CEO, STRINGER, and ERC.

Good luck,
Eric

Username: Sonycrap

Arnold, MO U S A

Hello All,

Nice to meet all of you, sorry to be in this manner. We too have been fighting Sony over much the same defects that most of you describe. We have the KDF60S955 (60") that we bought in Dec '04 for Christmas. We first started noticing the blue blobs in the lower left corner of the screen that has now progressed to including the entire screen. As of this week the screen has now developed a huge black hole/blob in the major center of the entire screen. (SEE ATTACHED PICTURE) We too have contacted Sony Service, had a Sony authorized tech out (would be a $1380 repair), went through the customer service dept (what a joke!) and have just finally fired off our letter to the Exec Rev Comm, and are waiting for an answer.

My situation being a little bit different than most..... I have ZERO PATIENCE for this kind of thing.

So... I've bought a website and a guy is building right now. Sonycrap.com.

I also have set up email for receiving any emails related to our problem. Its SonyCrapUSA@yahoo.com.

My best friend is a partner in a large law firm and is starting a Class Action suit against them with respect to these issues, Sony's knowledge of these defective issues, and their reluctance to do anything about them.

If anyone wants to be a part of this, you can email your name/contact info along with your particular model, a very brief description of the issue, a picture of a screen shot showing the problem if you can, the date or approximate date of purchase, and how you've tried to resolve the problem with Sony to my email address listed above (SonyCrapUSA@yahoo.com).

My web site will have all of this in form style to make it easier to be used as a database.

You will receive an email confirming its receipt and you will kept informed of its progress. At the appropriate date and time, I'm sure you will be contacted by the firm for more legal information. That will be out of my hands and will be through the attorneys.

Sony can blow each of us off, one at a time, but lets see how they side step hundreds or a few thousand of us in court or on 60 minutes ! ...and yes that call has been made too.

Together in the fight for whats Right,
R. Firebaugh

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Rick,

Welcome to the not so exclusive blue blob club. I've never seen anything like the picture you posted, though I have no doubt at all that you're suffering from the same blatant defect with the Optical Block that the rest of us have experienced, some of us more than once like myself. I'm guessing that the hole in the middle of the screen is just what happens when the blue blob problem progresses far enough, but it's possible that it could be something else entirely. Most people get their TV repaired before the blob completely consumes the screen because it's hardly watchable long before that happens, so we rarely get to see anything as bad as yours.

The tack you're taking is exactly what I espoused should be done not too long ago on this board. The problem is that the CONSUMERS aren't aware of this issue and it's STILL HAPPENING with the new Sony rear projection TVs, so they've completely failed to resolve an obscenely blatant problem for at least 4 years now, and it affects virtually all if not all of their rear projection models. It's great that we have this board here as a resource for the unfortunate souls that go online and search for Sony + blue haze or blue blob and find their way here, but nobody has done anything to date to try and reach the consumers BEFORE they buy a new Sony TV.

When you register your website, try to use as many keywords as possible that people searching for a Sony or any HD/rear projection TV would use for when looking to buy a new TV. They're going to get flooded with links to online retailers, but if you use the proper keywords your site might pop up high enough that you can capture some of the consumer traffic and spread awareness about this problem.

The other thing that's essential to getting Sony to really do something about this problem is getting the Media involved and consumer advocates groups. We're literally talking about millions of dollars here that are being wasted on these Sony TVs which will be nothing more than 100 lb. paperweights in 2-3 years time, and you can't unload them with a bad optical block to save your life. I'm not really sure where to go with this but 60 minutes is a start, though I doubt they'll pick up the story since it's not particularly sexy.

By the way, there is already another law firm that has started the class action lawsuit process on this issue. They've been working on it for several months at least, but I haven't heard anything new about it. The fact that Sony decided, after an overwhelming number of owners contacted them with this problem, to extend the warranty on this part until Dec. 31 2008 for selected models, helped to put a little water on this fire. A LOT of owners that have this problem were not included in that extended warranty though and they're very unhappy about it, fortunately I'm one of the lucky ones that's covered.

Anyway, way to be proactive and I hope your efforts bear some fruit, you certainly have nothing to lose.

Eric

Miami, Fl Usa

CLASS ACTION SUIT LONG OVER DUE!

Rick, I totally agree with you 100%

Class action suits made Toshiba Laptop division learn their lesson.
Things are very differnt now with them.

If Sony gets hit hard with a large class action they will change. I really don't think a partial repair or free parts will do or is fair, atleast not for me, I'm really stupid when it comes to these type of things, I live in Florida here when you file law suit against anyone, if they lose the case, they must pay your attorney's fees!

I've learned this from personal and business expierances. I'm the type of moron that will spend $10,000 on a lawyer to recover $5000.00
When I feel I've been cheated, principal and pride always et the best of me.

So, I will see what they offer me on monday, when the unit is inspected by repairman. When I call Robert from customer relations if he starts the free parts crap with me, I will ask him to put in writing and fax it to me,and I have to think about it??? Then i'd be happy to join you and the others with a class action suit.

WE ALL NEED TO TAKE LEGAL ACTION AGAINST SONY!! THIS WILL SEND THE MESSAGE TO SONY!!!!

THANKS TO ALL AGAIN!

ZACH

Austin, TX USA

Thanks for your update, and your further actions Rick. I've posted my status previously... KF50WE610, mfg July04, with same blue blob problems. I'm not covered under extended service coverage (50WE620 is covered!)... have pursued through all of the channels described in this forum. After many letters and calls over 30+ days, ERC finally offered as a "good will gesture" to cover cost of 1/2 of the part for optical block. I would still be out additional $1200 to fix a 3yr old TV, for a known and acknowledged problem. I declined... sigh...

I think Sony has an obligation to its customers, and is demonstrating their "acceptance" of such through their extended service support for limited models and out of warranty accommodation for many others as described in this forum -- all for this very same problem.

I currently have a BBB complaint pending with Sony Corp America in NYC... not holding my breath. If that doesn't resolve my issue, I plan to next file suit in small claims court here in Austin.

I'll check out your website now, and will happily participate with you in any class action progress. I have all my records, documents, notes from phone calls, and pictures of my blobs...

In the interim, while it is ugly, I can still watch my TV... your pic is really disturbing about how I'll eventually end up.

Username: Toddtvl

Has anyone in Canada who purchased LCD in 2004, and has Blue Blob made any progress with Sony.ca ?

Also, does this blue blob burn the screen somehow, or is that all in the optical block; hence, a new OB will be like a new TV then?

My situation, is that I built this TV into the wall (there if very little dust getting in there, as a built an air filter on the air in/out vent. and I would like to keep it working. It was amazing as new, and hopefully I can get things going again. The blue blob is frustrating, for a new technology worth close to 4 grand.

Miami, Fl Usa

Help!!!!!!!

Okay guys are you ready for this one, after I was told by Robert in customer Relations they would solve my problem. I just received call repair service.

My KDF60xbr950 needs over $1600.00 in repairs
It needs the optical block, the fan assm, new lamp and the lamp door because it melted from fan failure.

What's my next step, do I call Robert back at customer reliations or start my letters to CEO and ERC ??????

Need Advice.

Zach

Miami, Fl Usa

Hello to All

I want to thank everyone especially Eric,it
looks like I'm going to get taken care of by Sony.
they called me today and are going to help
me solve my problem.and that's all because of this forum,
and all who post here. THANKS!...

Keep up the good work, but most of all
thanks again!

Zach

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Congrats Zach. Please post your eventual outcome so we can use it as further evidence of Sony's inconsistent handling of this problem, especially for anyone that needs to take their case to small claims court.

Username: Evab

We purchased our TV Jan of 2003 grand wega KF-50XBR800 we had to have the lamp replaced three times, on Sept 18 2007 we got the yellow stain I call it the lemon. I called Sony did some research was talked into following procedure at 189.00 for the evaluation fee then was denied by Sony to repair the optical block, I wrote a letter to the ERC received a call from Jose he offered to pay for half the repair bill of 1281.99 and nothing on the 189.00 evaluation fee. I then wrote to
Sir Howard Stringer
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Sony Corporation
550 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022

10-24-2007 today I received a call from Debbie I have been offered half the repair cost reimbursement of the 189.00 evaluation fee or exchange department for a discount on a new TV. I am disgusted about the runaround Sony gives all their customers pertaining to this known defect called the optical block. Check out my lemon.
Here are some other sites to help anyone. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/sony_tv.html and http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-opticalblock
well I have to shrink my image first Ill be back.

Username: Brianhalloran

Roseville, CA

Attn: Zach

I have the exact same TV (KDF-60XBR950, build date 5/04)with the blue blobs and blue dots (no bulb issues...yet) and I just got shot down by Barry in the Customer Relations Dept. I had to pay the $99 yesterday to the service guy who spent 15 seconds looking at the screen, 10 minutes on hold with Sony, and 20 seconds writing up an estimate for $1615.00.) By the dates of your posts, it seems you didn't have to go through the letter writing campaign, right? What did you do to get them to kick down when most of us are getting the run-around?
Thanks to everyone for all of the info.

Miami, Fl Usa

Brian,

.Yes, I spent 4 hours writing a letters to ERC and CEO, follow instruction on the board postings and be presistent you will get something.

Everything you need is on this board..

Regards,

Zach

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Eva,

Sony's response to your letter, was their standard response for almost everyone who initially gets blown off by their front line support when you have a major problem (99% of the time the defective Optical Block). 50% of the part cost and no labor remibursed, OR, a trade in value toward a new Sony TV that you can select from on a particular site. The second option under the circumstances is always the best. It gets you into a new TV with a new warranty, even though you have some out of pocket costs. For most people, depending on what model TV they had and what size, they usually end up spending several hundred dollars to get into something else.

So far, Sony hasn't even wanted these hunks of junk back so calling it a trade-in value isn't exactly correct. They know as well as we do that they're worthless without a working Optical Block. Go for option B and get into the largest LCD that you can afford, avoid the rear projection TVs. You may have to downgrade in size a little but the picture will be better and the LCDs don't have any well known chronic problems. Whatever you do, BUY an extended warranty though!

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 6
Eva,

I agree with Eric 100% he knows what he's talking
about.I have not finished with my situation yet but it looks like that's where it's going, Any thing is better than nothing, option B is best
if they offer that to you take it, that is my opinion.

In my case it's better than 200 lb paper weight.
I was very upset the other day, but after I spoke with one of my attorney's, his said that, with Sony's extending of the warranty on some the models especially the one that ended on Sept. 30, 2007 ended most of there liability.

They have made an effort to infrom their customers somewhat ???, rather than waste time in court and money, in a lawsuit which you will proberly win something. It's better, if Sony's makes an somewhat decent offer take it.
That's what I was advised.

After thinking about it some more, I decided to go with option B , even though I was not completly satisfied with their offer I will take it and be done with it. My time is more important than all this grief!! Even though none of us were ever notified by Sony's, of their truly defective product.

I will post my final outcome when it actually ends, it should end Monday. Like said before I'm
not happy with offer, but I'm not really un-happy
with it either, its okay I guess.

REMEMBER, TO BE FIRM AND NICE AT THE SAME TIME.
I CAN'T STRESS THE POINT OF BEING PRESISTENT!!!
SEND A SECOND LETTER IF YOU HAVE TOO.

Sorry for the rant.

Much luck to all,,

Zac

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Yep, patience, persistence, and staying professional will win the day in this battle. Won't do any good to go off on anyone, it isn't going to change anything. You just have to follow the system set forth on this board and you'll have your measure of justice.

Sadly, in my opinion Sony is giving people JUST enough so that they'll take what they can get and walk away from the whole ugly affair, never to think of Sony as a top of the line brand name ever again. Their products are NOT surperior in the consumer industry anymore and their customer service surely isn't either. They have an even worse defect with their 400 Disc DVD changers that are ultimately far more costly to the owners than all of us that have bought these damn TVs (unfortunately I own both).

Fact of the matter is, Sony held their place on top of the throne in the TV market for so long as a direct result of their patent on the flat screen, Trinytron tube television. Those were hands down the highest quality TVs produced for around 15 years, and had by far the best picture quality and viewing angle. They were able to charge almost twice as much for their TVs as any of the competitors as a result. But, when their patent expired on the Trinytron several years ago and everyone and their brother started producing cheap knock-offs, everything changed. They could no longer charge an arm and a leg when you could get a comparable TV for a LOT less.

The big fish had grown fat and swam really slow, now they had to keep up with all of the hungry little fish that were scrambling for their little piece of the market. To do that they either needed to invent a revolutionary new product like they did with the Trinytron, or find a way to compete with all of their competitors. In my opinion the result was that they dramatically changed their business practices and started using inferior parts, an inadequate QC process, insufficient customer service, and relied on the retail outlets to push their extended warranties to cover the substandard TVs which were no longer built to last (I still have a couple Trinytrons that are 10-15 years old and work as good as the day I bought them).

The end result of these changes couldn't be any clearer, or any worse for Sony. They relied on their name in the industry for many, many years, and that name means nothing anymore to anyone that has purchased one of their defective rear projection TVs or one of the 400 disc DVD changers that ruin all of your DVDs. These aren't their cheap, bottom of the barrel products that you would expect to break after 2 or 3 years, these are their flagship products in the consumer audio/video market. When customers have no faith in the quality of your products, why should they buy them much less pay a premium price that the Sony brand name has always commanded? The future in the consumer A/V market doesn't look good for them unless they change their business practices.

Thanks for the advice Eric and Zach,

I started going through this with Sony September 18th so it was before the deadline but after my four year warranty ran out in Feb this year. (The TV not on much)
Although this has been very frustrating I have been polite even when Sony lied to me.
I have read all the blogs here and thanks to everyone's input I am going to have to go with Rick, I wish I knew how to upload my picture because it really looks like a big lemon on my screen, I have sent it to Rick's Sony site I think it would be a good picture to get out there to the media and let people know Sony has lemons.
I paid top dollar for my TV it was the top of the line model I didn't pay for half of a TV when I purchased it I don't see why I should pay for half of the repair.
There is in here somewhere that any product sold to consumers over 50. 00 is supposed to be tested and these optical blocks apparently were not. No I am not ready to settle for paying another 650.00 for a part that should have lasted longer than it has only to have it guaranteed for 90 days. I think its time to get the media involved start with a local small town news station tape it from your TV and put it on you tube my space everything that is available to us to get the word out Sony isn't what it used to be.
Nothing is settled if both sides are not happy, I'm not happy paying half the repair bill, I'm not happy putting another penny towards a Sony product after being lied to and given the runaround. My first call to Sony I was told "I would be reimbursed for the tech if it was the optical block and it would be fixed Sony would make it right.
So far I am out another 189.00 I have an offer looking at me to pay 650.00 to fix a Sony defective part that is warranty for 90 days or purchase another product from the same company that just put the screws to hundreds of its customers.
No I am going to have to pass on any offer that involves me paying Sony one more dime. I will continue to fight with Sony until we get this resolved either by ourselves or let the courts decide. I will put up with this until I purchase a TV from a company that stands behind its products I'm looking at Samsung, Mitsubishi.
I talk to a man that has a Mitsubishi bought same year as mine never had a problem with it not even a lamp to replace he has it cleaned once a year for 65.00 that sounds like a better deal to me.
I have also just googled complaints about SONY and found several links that's how I found this place
I googled Samsung, Mitsubishi and a few other I can't recall at this minute what a difference!
Thanks everyone!

Username: Rmacc

Sony KDF-E50A10 LCD rear projection TV. Anyone seen the problem (line of 28 squares 6.5 inches from bottom of screen) shown on the attached two images. Local Sony service says over $1500 to repair. Purchased set May 06.

Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Ron,

Although 95% of the problems on this board are related to the same thing, yours is an exception. I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one other person with the same problem post similar pictures on this board. I would suggest you just scroll back through the archives, looking at the pictures that people posted until you see one that looks like yours, shouldn't take too long since there aren't all that many pictures posted. I don't think it was in the last few months, so I'd start at least a couple months ago and go back from there 3-6 months, just scanning through the pictures.

Based on the cost of the repair it sounds like it's probably an Optical Block, but it could be a board. Unfortunately that's all the help I can give you.

Eric

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 7
Hello to all,

Today was finally the day I got some satisfaction? from Sony, Like the Guru Eric says
has posted many times there are 2 options
A) free parts for the repair, you pay
the labor and tax.
B)Credit on your tv towards purchase of a new Sony unit, I chose B because,
A only offers a 90 day warranty.

I math is a little crazy for $6,100 + tax 7 %
I only received about 3,000.00 credit both
the tv and the expensive Sony SUGW3 stand
with only 27 months use 50% on both, if this based on 7 year life span the math is way off?

Okay so I decided to not give them anymore money adain NOT.... The model I choose was the KDL52W3000 which 3,000 on sony'site even trade rite NOT... THERE POLICY IS THE MINIMUM YOU
WILL PAY IS $300.00 + $150.00 DELIVERY +
PLUS TAX,, What BS rite, when on Sony's site shipping is free rite now!!! It means you have to pay no matter what... So I bit the bullet and paid $1400.00 and got the model I really wanted the KDL52xbr series .

Like I said before its better than nothing, I hope this helps some of you out there!!! So you have an idea what the true cost is..

The last thing I what to say is
if your investing in a expensive TV set whatever the brand, buy the best extended warranty you can get, that way if you have a problem it will be taken care of as long as the warranty is in effect..

Follow the posts here, you will get something.

Much luck,

Zach

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Thanks for posting your results Zach, you actually went through the system pretty frast, from your first post regarding the problem to your final resolution with Sony to purchase a new TV.

That's the first I've heard that no matter what kind of credit you get, you have to pay something out of pocket toward the new TV, so that's useful information for future users. Pretty sure though that one of the other people reported that they got free shipping.

Regarding your credit, you will never get any compensation for the stand that you purchased with your original TV since there's nothing wrong with it, even though you bought it at the same time and even if that stand only works with the particular model you had purchased (which in and of itself is a good reason not to buy a matching stand unless you have money to burn). I didn't notice exactly how long you owned the TV prior to the resolution today, and they definitely don't include any shipping costs you might have originally paid when you bought the first TV (shipping costs for a large TV can add a LOT to your total), so my hunch is that when you factor out the stand and shipping costs, and possibly tax, the usual 7 year pro-rated formula was probably in effect or not far off. We all know that Sony has not been the picture of consistency in handling these issues, but the pro-rated formula seems to have been fairly consistent.

I definitely think you made the right decision, I don't encourage anybody to take the option of getting the TV repaired unless the costs are covered in their entirety like for people that fall within the recent extended warranty (me thankfully). If they want to keep fixing my TV once a year for free that's fine, and if the Optical Block fails after they've now said that the problem has been fixed, it will happen before that extended warranty is up and I'll just fix it again then sell it in perfect working order. Before I do that though I will go another round with Sony and the VP of Worldwide Customer Support that told me in writing that the problem with the Optical Block has been fixed. If I don't get a satisfactory resolution from Sony that doesn't involve giving me another ticking timebomb of an Optical Block, THEN I will be forced to get it fixed for free and sell it.

Oh, and please don't call me the Guru here :-), I can't accept the honor. Although I contribute my time to helping others, my information comes largely from standing on the shoulders of the predecessors on this board, combined with my personal experiences. I haven't even had to write a letter to Sony yet, so all of the information that I've shared related to that process has been culled from all the people that came before me and continue to find themselves here such as yourself.

Again, kudos for getting a measure of satisfaction. I think you'd probably agree that had you not found this board, and followed the steps outlined here you probably wouldn't have known that the problem with the Optical Block was chronic and just bit the bullet and paid to repair your TV (otherwise you'd have been stuck with a very expensive paperweight). No question but this board has helped a lot of people get a measure of justice that they otherwise wouldn't have known how to get from Sony, even though we all agree that Sony handling of this issue continues to be very far from satisfactory.

Eric}

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 8
Eric,

Sorry from the Guru, remark is was not meant to offend in any way. I thank you and all who post. here as I said before. Without you guys and gals.
I would have never gotten anything from Sony. and just trashed the set and filed suit.

Everyone is curious how I got thru this problem so quickly it was dumb luck,
I know someone who's has access to Sony executives directly they did me a big favor.
I spent 4 hours and wrote 2 different 6 page letters to ERC and CEO, sent them to my friend and they were forwarded to Sony for me, again it was all dumb luck I never knew my friend had a contact, till I mentioned how upset I was and was offered help.

I said why not, what have got to loose? So after read allot of post with letters here.I wrote my own.

It was all luck again and 2 letters,They went into all the sorted details of everything that has gone on with my problem and other personal stuff.I just wanted it to be different, because I noticed a few letters posted are very much the same thing. All of them are very good letters but I decided to go in a different direction.

I had no idea anything would come of it.Things just turned out that way for me.I don't think spending $1400.00 is great, but they were asking over $1,600.00 to fix mine.which I was nver going spend on an older unit not even $300.00 when they offered to pay for my parts,no extended warranty, no further repairs ever again.

I sincerely thank everyone here!!!

Best wishes to all..

Zach

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
There was definitely no offense taken, I knew it was a compliment, I just couldn't take that credit when others on this board have contributed much more than me. Let us know when you get your new TV.

By way of introduction,I posted a couple of images recently showing a horizontal line of 28 boxes that appeared on my KDF-E50A10. I have gone the route of both phone and online exchanges with Sony "Tech Support." The hours spent in that endeavor were a waste. I have communicated with the local Sony authorized repair facility and provided to them images of the problem. The images were referred to both their on site techs and some sort of special Sony engineering support that they had access to. The result $1500-$1700 cost to repair. The problem was diagnosed from the images to be a faulty "B Box." The set was purchased from Circuit City in May 2006. After reading many of the postings on this site I felt it worth a try to try to get my case before someone in the Sony organization that might be able to give me some consideration. As a start I visited the Circuit City where I purchased the set to see if they could provide a doorway that would get me past the Sony first lines of defense. The store manager was non sympathetic and would not provide any help of any kind. Now I am asking anyone on this forum for help in determining an address/names in the Sony Co. that I could present my case to. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Ron, your TV seems to be beyond the standard 1-year warranty, but less than 2 years from purchase. As a first step, if you purchased it with a credit card, you should check to see whether the card has warranty extension coverage. For example, most, if not all, Gold and Platinum Visa and MasterCard cards double the manufacturer's warranty on purchases made with the cards. This coverage is available with some other credit cards, as well. Whenever I purchase items with warranties, including my Sony rear-projection TV, I buy them with this type of card. I figure that if electronics are going to fail, they should fail within the first 2 years, and I hate paying extra for idiotic extended warranties. Of course, in the case of these TVs, the problems seem to show up just after 2 years, so there goes that logic.

Thanks very much for the reply Steve. I do appreciate it. Unfortunately I
did not purchase the set with a credit card. I purchased it using the Circuit
City 18mos no interest plan. And as per my last post Circuit City gives you
no consideration once you get it out the door unless you pony up with the
cost of an extended warranty. This evening the problem went from the 3/8" x 3/8" boxes shown in the original image post to what you see here.
Upload

Username: Willie44

Melbourne, Florida

SONY KF50WE610 Update
Classical " Blue Blob " problem developed and just got worst. Sony replaced the entire optics block and " B " board and I just paid for the labor.
A letter to the Sony Executive review board ( in Fort Myers Fl ) got a very quick responce and great customer service . Set was purchased 6/2004
B board replacement was required due to different setup parameters for the updated optics engine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Okay, stop the presses. Eyster, are you saying that you had nothing else wrong with your TV, but that the Optical Block that they were installing was so different that it required the replacement of the "B" board? That would be the first post on this board that I'm aware of where a change to the Optical Block design has required the "B" board be replaced.

The only reason to change the Optical Block design would be to address the Blob issue, so, just following the logic here, if what you're saying is correct, then anyone who recently had their Optical Blocks replaced as a result of the new warranty, did not get one of the NEW Optical Blocks if they did not get their "B" board replaced at the same time. I surely didn't, and mine was replaced under the extended warranty a few months ago. Of course that was also my second round with the Blob problem.

Anyone else have ANY info about this issue, the replacement of the "B" board if you're having your Optical Block replaced? I would very much like a straight answer from Sony about this. I want to know WHY they're suddenly changing out "B" board with the Optical Blocks, and what exactly is different about the Optical Block that requires this. This is all assuming of course that Eyster is correct about why they changed out the "B" board, and that they didn't just lie to her about why they changed it.

Username: Willie44

Melbourne, Florida

The optical block was changed due to the " Blue Blob " problem... Nothing else was wrong with the Television. The repair was performed at my home and I watched very closely ! The "B" board was not initially replaced , however when the set was turned on the white balance was way off and the entire screen had a blue cast ! The technican then stated that there was a SONY technical bulletin that required the "B" board to be changed when the updated optical block was replaced. (BY THE WAY , CHECK SOME OF THE OTHER FORUMS , THIS DOENST SEEM TO BE NEW NEWS !). Once the "B" board was changed the white balance was correct and the set looks very good. My service manual does not ID a "B" board, but one clue is that all of the setup parameters are stored on this PCB including all custom video settings and labels. During startup language, channel , and all of the custom owner setup needed to be reprogrammed.

PS. NOT A "HER" AND HAVE LOTS OF TECHNICAL DESIGN EXPERIENCE SO THIS IS NOT " HERESAY "

Just reporting the facts for those out there that are having the same problems !!

Hank

Bronze Member
Username: Farmerpig

Post Number: 14
Howdy Dugfio, First off my 70" was built 3/2005....They also offered me a rebuilt/refurbished model I said no..I said I want the new 70", but they could not deliver.(new 70" was not out yet).If they could, I would have done that deal....So since they could not deliver a 70"...I made them repair mine...What changed their mind to repair mine...I guess several things..First I reported them to the BBB of New York...I had a complaint open up with a file number on Sony of New York...That takes time, but it is worth it...It's all done on line at the BBB..I also wanted to know who at ERC was my advocate, who was speaking for me - Who is on my side...When I got that guy things started to change...Not sure if it was the letters to Sir H. or the ERC, BBB or no new 70" to replace mine...Might have been all 4...It sucked working all those angles, but that is what I did...Next time I will even take them to small claims...Sony is not playing fair on this....Their product is defective and they know it....

Good luck, don't quit....

Frank

Thanks Frank,
I finally wrote a leter to my local BBB about the Sony optical block. I dont want to pay 4 to 5 hundred dollars to fix my TV for a Sony defect, I am waiting to hear from them, Next I send a letter to my local TV station.

Never give up!

Bronze Member
Username: Farmerpig

Post Number: 16
Your Welcome Eva, Keep up the good fight!

Username: Chicagotc

So I've been following these threads and another on AVS for awhile now. I have a KDF-42WE655 manufactured in 04. It definitely has the "etch-a-sketch" issue. I noticed it about 6 months ago but since this TV is in my living room we rarely watch it. 99% of our TV watching is in the media room. I finally got around to taking it apart this weekend and tried to clean the LCDs. I've read this procedure worked for the fingerprint so I'd figured it was worth a shot.

No luck after a thorough cleaning. Taking the set apart and getting to the block was actually pretty easy.

So here is the rub, I won this TV at a work promo in 04 and have no way to get a proof of purchase. I've tried many avenues but it just isn't possible.

So what do you think my options are at this point?

1. Source an optical block for $400 and replace it myself.

2. Try to contact Sony and see what remedies I have with no proof of purchase

3. Ignore the issue since I rarely use the TV.

4. Donate the TV to a local charity and replace with a $800 720P 42" Vizio

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Tom,
I'd try Sony and explain how you got it. They extended the warranty on that model until sometime next year so there is the chance they will cover the repair. Don't know much about the Vizio but from the number I've seen in the as is section at my Sam's I'd wouldn't buy one.

I need to post a follow up here about the most amazing customer service I've ever experienced. I made my initial post last Sunday night, around noon on Monday I received a call from Sony customer service. Mind you I have never contacted Sony about this issue. I'm not even sure how they received my home phone number. I wasn't available so I called back later in the day and received Carl's voicemail.

I checked my messages from work yesterday and there was another message from Carl providing instructions for calling the local service center, Abt Electronics. I've bought a lot of equipment at Abt so I'm very familar with them. They are definitely a value store, not always the best prices but the best service for sure.

So I called Abt yesterday and spoke with a repair rep. They were well aware of the TV situation and I have a no charge in house repair scheduled for this Saturday.

I'm still in shock over the whole incident. Sony really went above and beyond here. I'm very confident when I say my next TV will be a Sony.

I'm assuming someone from Sony saw my post, please send me a message so I can pass on my compliments to your supervisor.

Tom,
It must be nice to have your faith restored in a company that has so many complaints on the internet about it and its expensive defective part.
I am still trying to negotiate getting my TV repaired for labor cost only. I talked to Debbie today it doesn't look good as my TV model is not one on Sony's list of TVs to be repaired for optical block issue, yet the problem with my TV is ....you guessed it the OPTICAL BLOCK. Go figure? The way it stands for now to get my TV repaired 641.00 my cost with a 90 day warranty!
I asked Debby why some people are paying only for labor cost and others are being asked to pay half the repair bill. Didn't get a definite answer, just that all claims are different....... But we have that bad OPTICAL BLOCK in common.
I am getting tired of the Sony procedures, first pay for the tech to come to your home and evaluate your TV at a cost of a couple hundred dollars for the ten seconds of him to look at your TV.
Then have the repair man call and tell you that you have been denied from Sony the repair cost of your TV.
Then send letters, and the haggling, I went from getting nothing to getting half the repair cost to half the repair cost and reimbursement of the initial 189.00 evaluation fee.
I am not happy with this deal so I am now looking at the exchange department, my file is being transferred there and I am told to be expecting to get a phone call from them in the next few days.
Although I was told the value price will start from the date the TV was made because I don't have the sale receipt that is a farce because the purchase date is in the computer with the serial number of my TV where I bought the TV and I am the original owner.
What I would like is a phone call from this Carl and see for myself that Sony can and does go above and beyond for their customers your story is just so hard to believe, truly amazing and so unbelievable! Sony contacting you! No procedure to follow? Attention Carl from customer service Carl you can contact me through Debby at NCR she has my number!
To the rest of us following procedure as per Sony's wishes I will contact you as soon as I hear from this Carl in customer service.
I think Tom is a friend of a friend that works for Sony, just my opinion.

Eva (nonbeliever in amazing customer experience from Sony)

Louisiana

Well this is a followup to my post from several weeks back.
Once our optical block was 'repaired' and we had the light engine changed, we had ended up with BLUE being GREEN, and GREEN being PURPLE and YELLOW being PINK and so forth. From the get go my husband was CONVINCED (being a technical person himself) that they had installed the wrong part. I assured my husband he had been very meticulous.
Well the very nice service guy was perplexed and since Sony was closed that day for 'training' , he would call them and get back with me.
Which he NEVER did. So after a couple weeks I called the repair shop to see what the deal was. The response I got was that they were scheduled to come out and change the light engine again. Ok news to me, let me get MORE time off of work... fine come change it.
So we ended up with the same problem afterwards....everything looked like Alice in Wonderland and watching an LSU game was just weird (purple field and pink jerseys). So service guy says he will have the TV place give me a repair estimate, he assumes part of the main board needs to be changed - $$$$$ This last 'repair' was done on 10/25.
3 weeks later I call asking what is the latest, that I hadnt heard from anyone. Person on phone said she saw our service ticket was closed and nothing further needed!
Long story short when this same woman ordered our ORGINAL part,,she ordered one for the wrong tv - hence screwing up our colors. And then tried again with the same wrong part. Which the service guy (who owns the repair shop the orginal Sony repair place contracted out) failed to verify part numbers on the one he removed and the one he put in. SO he didnt double check and could have avoided the 2nd attempt.
Weeeelllll... they came out with the correct one yesterday and WOO HOO we have our tv back!
Everything looks great and we are (finally) happy.
We only dealt with Sony once, when we first initiated the repair. We were nice, they were nice.
Thankfully - problem solved....for now.

Eva,

I understand your your skepticism. I felt the same way when I got the first message. I promise you I have no ties to Sony. In addtion to the TV I do own a Sony HD camcorder and PS2 but that is it. I still have no idea how they got my phone number. Honestly, I don't know if I ever even registered the TV.

All I did was make my initial post on this board. I've read all the threads here and on AVS but that is it. I do know that my exact model was covered under warranty with the "etch a sketch" problem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
FYI in response to recent posts, Sony DOES monitor this board. Many of us including myself, have been contacted privately through this board by Sony personnel in response to posts that we've left here. All the more reason to be upset with Sony, knowing how acutely aware they are of the problem with their optical block design and how many people are suffering with this affliction.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Agreed. I think the most annoying thing is that Sony refuses to extend the coverage for the blue blob/haze issue to the 2003 models, when those models clearly have the exact same problem as the covered 2004 models. I am lucky enough to have had my 2004 model optical block replaced under the extended coverage. I think the second most annoying issue is that Sony has cut off coverage for the road-mapping issue, even though new cases are clearly happening.

These are obviously design flaws and/or defective materials, and replacing all of these optical blocks is very expensive for them, but their reputation (what's left of it) in the TV market is at stake.

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV - Optical Block Problems web site

I stepped out for just a minute and wow a call from a guy named Scott from Sony; the exchange department, I called Sony back and spoke to Sarah, the model I picked out (KDS55A3000) was on sale for 1999.99 my cost 1480.00 plus 125.00 shipping at a total of 1605.00. I know this is a bad joke right. At this point I have decided to get what information I can including the best offer Sony has for me and pass it on to the BBB. I was interested to see how much Sony would give me towards another TV. Sarah said I was given 520.00 credit for my TV. Yes I seen the free shipping advertised too.
FYI when I sent letters to sony I included not only this blog but other sites I have found on the internet I wanted to make sure Sony is aware that the people are talking just a matter of time before the class action suit. By the way I have sent information to the sonycrap site provided by Rich Firebaugh and haven't heard anything from him anyone else? Call me Carl I'm waiting?

Eva

heres my SONY lemon Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Eva,

Although you might not be faced with a great set of options, I ALWAYS encourage people to take whatever credit Sony is willing to give you for your TV toward a new model, preferably an LCD rather than a rear projection due to the numerous problems with the RPs. Anything that gets you out of this mess with their RP TVs and into something with a NEW warranty (be sure to buy the extended warranty this time) is a good thing. Unless you're covered under Sony's new extended warranty for certain models with the "Blue Blob" issue and you're getting the problem fixed for free, it just isn't worth it to pay any substantial amount toward the repair of your existing TV when the jury is definitely out on whether they've resolved the problem(s) or not despite their claims. Note that you can't haggle with them about the trade-in value (I say trade-in although they don't even want the TV back usually), once they set an amount nothing you say will change that from the past experiences of many people that post here.

If you're still not satisfied with the options you've been presented, you will get no further directly with Sony, your only real option is to take them to small claims court. You can also report them to the BBB, but since they've made an offer of reconciliation that won't help much either, but it definitely doesn't hurt. Every person on this board who has experienced this problem, and is anything less than 100% satisfied with Sony's handling of it should file a report with the BBB. Companies take those reports VERY seriously as it goes on their public record and rating that anyone can look up online. At the very least, the cumulative weight of all those BBB reports might have an effect on their decision making process as it pertains to these issues.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
LOL, talk about a LEMON! That would be hilarious if it weren't so sad. I've never seen anything quite like that except for the picture that Rick posted of his problem on Nov. 3rd. I would speculate that both problems are related even though the colors are different and the design isn't identical. It's very likely the Optical Block, but it isn't the traditional "Blue Blob" issue that the vast majority if owners suffer from.

Post Number: 7
Thanks Eric,
I have contacted BBB in my area; it is my understanding that they will direct my complaint to a specific department for this type of complaint. The reason I wanted to go the distance with sony is to pass along all the information I have to BBB. You want blue blob here this is in between channels now my lemon is a blue blob. The model the year it doesn't matter, it's all the same defect OPTICAL BLOCK.
Eva
Upload

Arnold, MO U S A

Thanksgiving Greetings to all,

First of all, thank you for those of you who have submitted the issues on your TV to sonycrapusa@yahoo.com.

My apologies for taking so long to respond. I've been away on business and can finally get back to our TV issues. Rest assured while I was away, my legal team has been studying the viability of the class action suit to Sony.

I spoke to them on Monday of this week and they have been doing extensive research on Sony and their business practices. Apparently there's a related class action suit in its earliest stages in the state of New York. While this is not a door closer for us, it may change a bit the approach our team will be taking. A suit can initially be filed here in Missouri and then expanded as the need (and clientele) rises.

If you so feel inclined, please submit to the email address above any contact information you feel comfortable giving, in order that my attorneys may contact you when it progresses to that point. Pictures are helpful if you can send them.

The opportunity is there and has been there for Sony to solve this problem in good conscience by totally fixing everyones television to the customers satisfaction within reason. Of course, what we want is our three, four or five thousand dollar TV's fixed and running as we expected them to do when we bought them.

An update on my situation..Our contact with Sony has included numerous calls to the their customer service department on or around June 15th, that led to a service tech from a local electronics company coming out to tell me that indeed our optical block was bad....however it did not have the same characteristics as the scribble line warranty so we were not covered. The service call...$105.00-paid it. The bill to fix..about $1350.00. NOT ! as my daughter would say. More calls to the customer service department. No luck. Their advice was to write the ERC.

We eventually made more calls to them in early October but nothing. READ ON !!!

After returning from a business trip November 3rd, with still no response, I sat down at my computer and wrote the letter posted (far) above (see above post-Nov 3rd with "black pumpkin" picture). By then, I had already started the sonycrap.com website (almost finished now) and the sonycrapusa@yahoo.com email address.

Several of you were nice enough to post to our email quickly and thank you for those who have.

***** WITHIN 48 hours Debbie from Sony called. She said my file had made it all the way to the Presidents office and they wanted me to be a satisfied customer....that the problem reported by my service tech had indeed been covered by a warranty issued just several days after his service call and that it had been overlooked ! IMAGINE THAT ! After several conversations, they agreed to not only fix my TV with a new (and improved) optical block, pay for the labor, but reimburse me for the service call too ! CAN YOU SAY.....MAKE HIM HAPPY AND SHUT HIM UP?

Yes they apparently do monitor this forum !!!

To date, I have received the check for the $105 service call reimbursement but have not cashed it. My parts are supposed to be on order (Debbie said probably 2-3 days, the electronics company said 5-10 days. Nothing yet. Closing in on 2 weeks.

Anyone feel like sending their contact info to our address now?

We will keep you informed with regular posts through the email address and the website thats currently being built, as well as here on this forum.

Best Regards,

Rick

Post Number: 8
Today is my lucky day! I just heard from Rick F.
I am also ready to give BBB the information in trying to get Sony to make things right. Hey Eric Sony was also sent a picture of both my lemon as well as the blue blob. There's no excuse for sony.
Tom Chomicz because you have a camcorder and a PS2 by Sony is that suppose to mean you were treated as a great sony customer that didn't have to follow procedure.
Still waiting for that phone call CARL,... sony customer service.
Eva

Louisiana

Eva - it's almost like your own personal black hole in that last pick!

Louisiana

I SPOKE TOO SOON!!!
We turned on the tv this morning and we have a blue strobe light type effect on the entire screen!!!
Picture plays fine but now just something else to piss us off...guess I will be calling Sony again.....

Post Number: 9
Becky,
Too Bad about the problems with your TV but... its a SONY.! I am in the works of making a video for utube and myspace about my sony lemon TV, fingers crossed it will be out before Christmas and make the news!!!wish me luck!

Eva,

Not sure where the hostility towards me is coming from, but you should get over it. I was simply pointing out my only connection to Sony. I don't work for them nor do I personally know anyone who does. My TV was covered under the warranty and they are fixing at no cost to me. Therefore I am a satisfied customer, hopefully your situation works out.

Username: Bonni

I have a Sony KF-60WE310 that we purchased in Nov of 03. Obviously it is out of warranty , however after the first year the bulb went out and we had to get that replaced. Now, within the last 4 months we've noticed a blue blob in the lower right hand corner of the screen, as well as a star pattern of dots in the middle of the screen. It grows...too. I called sony and got the run around several times because my model and year aren't covered! I finally wrote a letter and got a repsonse informing us that because it was so far out of warranty they would pay for "parts" only. Out of pocket to us - $500 labor. We spent over 4 grand when we bought it,, I really don't want to put more good money on top of what we already paid with no assurance that this wont happen again. Does anyone know if there will be a class action law suit filed against the company for all of their defective optical Blocks??

Sorry .. just noticed a post from Rick mentioning a class action law suit possibly in the future. Count me in please. Like you mentioned in your post Rick.. We just want our televisions to work . I really don't want to be forced to pay another 500 dollars to get mine working again. I am totally frustrated. I am calling Sony again on Monday to ask that they pay for all costs to repair it. It's a pity that Sony won't stand behind their product and they treat us consumers like we are an expendable commodity.

Post Number: 10
Tom,
There is no hostility directed towards you.
I'm not even upset with sony trying to ignore this problem.
I am making a music video/comedy spoof of my sony lemon, I feel very fortunate to have the problem with my TV as it is like Eric said funny, I think it is the best advertisement for a sony lemon. As far as your comments I didn't understand why owning a few other sony products has to do with anything or why you mentioned them. I guess you explained it, that it was your only connection to sony.
I only mentioned once about a possible connection between you and sony, you didn't have to tell us again you don't have any connections to sony I believe you.
Good for you getting your TV repaired with out the runaround most of us are getting. If I were you I would also get a lotto ticket you seem to have good fortune smiling down at you.
When sony gives you a lemon ....throw in a pineapple!
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Becky,
Hope you don't take my comment as being hostile towards you, it wasn't intended that way.
Eva

Eva- as soon as you get that spoof made, throw it up on youtube...should get quite a bit of attention! Good Luck!

Username: Jackpiner

Here is somewhat of a positive update on my situation with Sony. They have replaced the optical block on my Oct. 2003 KF50WE610, $300 charge for the labor to install, total out of pocket expense $510 to date for the repair. Much better than the original $1300 estimate, still more than I want to spend on a 4 year old TV but better than using it as a paperweight
The letters to the review board and CEO have made a difference. Maybe they are softening up their stance a little.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Think I will get my 189.00 reimbursement check for the evaluation fee if I decide to watch the Sony lemon instead of buying a new SONY or choose not to get my Sony Lemon repaired for 641.00? I was told I would be reimbursed for the evaluation fee but was that only if I pay to have my TV fixed or replaced I don't have a check yet?

Username: Bigroot

Hello guys,

I just got the blue blob problem(KDF60XS955).
Came across this forum while searching for similar issues.

Ive got a 4 year warranty with Best Buy. Gave them a call and the are sending someone out tomorrow to take a look.

One question, does anybody know if the part that sony is using is the same or has the problem been fixed?

I hope the problem doesnt return in 2 more years after my warranty has expired.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Welcome to our not-so-exclusive club Chris. Count your lucky stars you purchased a 4 year extended warranty on your Sony RP TV. When I had my optical block fixed in July for the 2nd time since purchasing the TV, both times as a result of the blue blob issue, I was told by an executive at Sony Worldwide Support that the problem had been fixed with the new Optical Blocks. This was immediately after they had issued the extended warranty for owners of certain models that had this problem. HOWEVER, within the last month certain owners have reported that while having their OB replaced for this problem, they also had to have one of the boards in the TV replaced as well in order to work properly with the new OB. It is my belief that anyone who only gets a new OB, such as I did in July, will continue to have this problem within 12-36 months depending on how much you use your TV (12 months for me).

Fortunately, the extended warranty runs through Dec. 31 of 2008 so if they did not fix the OB I'll have the problem again around August of 08 and HOPEFULLY by that time they'll have finally resolved this problem. One thing is certain though, I'm going to sell this TV on or about Dec. 31, 2008. After participating in this message board for entirely too long, and seeing hundreds of people coming here with the exact same defect, I'm not willing to gamble on whether or not Sony FINALLY fixed the problem after all these years, when I'll have a perfectly functioning 55" high-def TV that I can sell for a decent price.

Once that OB goes out your TV is an instant paperweight destined for a land fill (Sony doesn't even want them back when they negotiate trade-in deals) if it isn't under warranty one way or another. Anyone that knowingly pays ~$1500 for a repair which to date has only extended the life of the TV 12-24 months until the same part fails again, is by my definition insane.

Louisiana

I was contacted via email about an exchange. It is pretty cool in a way that they monitor this board as I was emailed within hours of posting here about our latest problem.
We are supposed to get a call today to talk about details.

Louisiana

Eva
No hostility taken at all
:o)

Username: Chapman

Hi, I recently changed my optic block "A1606010a from a KF60we610. The picture improved from the purple blob etc. However, the C2 board(silver box) that came with the part seemed to have disabled my "memory stick" function. When I replace the original c2 board, the function works, but the picture gets a non-uniform coloration of the screen. Like a yellow haze on the left side. I also seem to have some different menu items. For eg. in setup: iLink, game mode. Now I have to set the Channel to C3,instead of ch 3 to get my sat/cable to work through Coax. I have tried contacting Sony, but the people there are of no help.. they seem lost. This part was returned and they sent me another complete one and it does the same.
I would appreciate if someone can help me out with this to solve this mem stick issue. Also noted that my TV blinks longer to power up with the new C2 board. In the service menu it indicates a different Light engine number. In Audio setup it also seem to gain Dolby digital simulation, but it does not work if it is selected. In channel menu... It shows Digital channels. The old box had a choice for Cable/air selection, but with the new silver box, this is not listed.

Thanks again.
Kf60we610 Nov 2003

Username: Exffpm

I thought I had problems replacing the lamps (#4) in my Sony KF-50WE610! Wow, after spending hours reading these posts and realizing what an absolute P.O.S. I spent my hard earned money on, I am having serious reservations about buying a "spare" lamp so I don't have to spend another holiday (this Thanksgiving) without the use of my entertainment system. I spent an inordinate amount on this Sony product partly due to it's having an excellent picture, but mostly because of my naive faith in the quality and trust in the Sony name. Had I known that I would be spending $300 yearly replacing lamps and that the T.V. itself was only designed to last "seven" years, I would have had SERIOUS reservations. After reading these posts and those on other boards, and experiencing firsthand the "road map" problem on my in-laws KF-50WE610, I am dreading the battle I expect to face. My wife should not be afraid to turn on our $3000+ T.V.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Chap,

Perhaps when you replaced the board, it replaced the "firmware" version on your TV. In theory, I think the firmware can be updated or downgraded with a special Memory Stick. Perhaps you can inquire at Sony about this.

Username: Fletch58

I own a KF60we610 for 3 years and have the Blue Sky problem. They say I need a new optical Board but Sony has denied it due to this model not having a problem. I find it amazing that such a good company is nit picking about something that in the long run could cost them millions of dollars in revenue. If they don't step up to the plate and pay for this I will NEVER buy any Sony product again. I am about to contact the commitee, is that my next step ? I would be more then happy to take the legal route if they don't do the right thing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Jack, I had the same answer originally with my KF50we610 but I followed the guidelines on this site, wrote my letters and got an exchange to a flat panel. Go back to the posts around July 18 or so and follow those procedures. Don't forget to get an event number from Sony before sending off your letters. Also, if offered an exchange ask about last years models-they just changed model year and the deals were better on the old ones.

Update: I spoke to Kevin yesterday(rep who contacted me in Sept after I wrote to the ERC in Florida.) Again, he stated that Sony would only pay for parts and not labor. He claims that there hasn't been enough complaints about my model KDF-60WE610 manufacture date Oct 03, to justify them paying for parts AND labor. He also told me "there's got to be a cut off date for the models it did affect."

He did admit that the original Optical Block design did not allow for enough ventilation causing "some" of them to overheat. Their new design allows for more ventilation. Uhmm... so Sony admits there is a problem ..and it has affected "some" of the models, however until enough consumers complain .. or a class action law suit is filed ..because that's what it will take AGAIN... we will continue to get the short end of the deal. My question to Sony is: If there aren't that many models affected by this engineering flaw...why not just buck up and pay for parts and labor on the repair? Shouldn't cost that much money to pay for the "few" compaints they've gotten hey? Ohh that's right .. customer satisfaction is only LIP SERVICE at Sony, where the minimum is the best they can do!

(We know we have a problem ..but seriously,do you really want us to be accountable for our mistakes?)

Anyway,
I refused Kevin's offer to replace the part. I also refused a trade in allowance, of which, would have been more out of pocket for us. I believe Sony won't budge on this until legal action is taken. I plan on contacting my cousin (attorney) and getting the ball rolling on this. Perhaps this could be an inclusive class action suit for all rear projection models with the same optical block engineering design flaw, since it has affected many of the models in some form or another. I'll keep you all posted!

Username: Fletch58

I sent off my letter today. If I don't get satisfaction, I would join any legal action.

Arnold, MO U S A

Bonnie,

Before your cousin gets too involved with paperwork, please read my above post dated Nov 21 st.

Update: As of today, I've contacted my local electronics repair shop again to check the status on my repair parts, thought to have been ordered on or about Nov 5th. Their "5-10 days" has came and went, nothing. Yesterday they informed me they had no record of ordering parts, an authorization number, etc, just that we had spoke on Nov 5th. OK, I can't blame Sony for this...unless they contract their repair shops out to folks that have the same work ethics they do?

Anyway, today they tell me they do have a record of the optical block issue and that it was covered, but no authorization # was ever applied for, or received. Three weeks, nothing. I called and left a Message with Debbie's vmail. We'll see.

Rick

Arnold, MO U S A

Hey I was ready to log off after leaving the above post and had to start laughing !!!

Has anyone else seen all of the SONY TV ADS posted in the right side bar of this website ???????? HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA LMAO

They'd stand a better chance of selling matches in Hell !

Rick

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I agree Bonni,
I am confused as to why anyone would settle for a credit towards a new Sony product? Better than nothing? I would rather have nothing then give more money to a company I feel just put the screws to me. I will not ever buy another Sony product or recommend any Sony product one to anyone.
I will tell everyone of my personal experience with Sony or tell them to find out for themselves search internet for Sony complaints they will find all kinds of information and unhappy customers.
Almost done with that jingle it has been sent to Tennessee to be tweaked by a writer friend of mine, and I have several new pictures to use in my video great pictures of a Sony lemon, I have written letters to my local TV station asking them if they would be interested in doing a story for consumers nothing from them yet, I have also offered my TV to a competitor of Sonys I think they should use my TV in a commercial. Who would knowingly buy a lemon?

Username: Chapman

Hi, I recently changed my optic block "A1606010a from a KF60we610. The picture improved from the purple blob etc. However, the C2 board(silver box) that came with the part seemed to have disabled my "memory stick" function. When I replace the original c2 board, the function works, but the picture gets a non-uniform coloration of the screen. Like a yellow haze on the left side. I also seem to have some different menu items. For eg. in setup: iLink, game mode. Now I have to set the Channel to C3,instead of ch 3 to get my sat/cable to work through Coax. I have tried contacting Sony, but the people there are of no help.. they seem lost. This part was returned and they sent me another complete one and it does the same.
I would appreciate if someone can help me out with this to solve this mem stick issue. Also noted that my TV blinks longer to power up with the new C2 board. In the service menu it indicates a different Light engine number. In Audio setup it also seem to gain Dolby digital simulation, but it does not work if it is selected. In channel menu... It shows Digital channels. The old box had a choice for Cable/air selection, but with the new silver box, this is not listed.

Thanks again.
Kf60we610 Nov 2003

UPDATE: I spoke to sony DAPC yesterday,and today. Both times they pretended to be ignorant of the issues with whats happenning with the replacement part. I have decided that Sony is Pure 100% POS. I have spent thousands on sony products. I have their Elevated Series HT equipment etc. Now, I will have to tell everyone to not buy a sony due to their inferior product and disgusting support. I will also try writing to them,too.

Thanks,
Chapman.

Username: Ebk231

Goshen, In

hello
I have a kdf-42we655. I am getting these purplish thumb like shapes they are pretty much in the center, and you can really only seem them when the screen color is white or really light. They are there constantly though. I have talked to sony and they said since its not the blue dot star pattern they will not help. So does this sound like the optical block? I will try and get a pic up tomorrow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Brian,

While 90% of the posts here are related to the "blue blob" issue, there have been a few scattered reports of the "fingerprint" issue. Search the posts for that key word or something similar, and when you find them, look for follow up posts shortly afterward from people responding to the issue. If I recall correctly, this has been linked to dust on the LCD panels, and the only/best home solution is to blow it out with compressed air. I'm not sure if it's possible to "clean" the LCD panels any other way without damaging them. Again though, this is just from my recollection of the problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
A best guess on the "small purple fingerprints" is that they are dust in the optical block. This is distinct from the "blue haze/dots" issue, which likely arises due to heat-induced damaged to the LCD panels in the optical block, and the "random scribble/road-mapping" issue, which likely arises based on heat-sensitive defective parts in the optical block.

So, yes, it is likely the optical block is the problem and needs to be replaced; but, no, it is not covered by a warranty extension; and, yes, it seems like pretty bad engineering to have an "open" optical block that allows tiny dust particles to be blown/sucked in and be magnified onto a big screen. Of course, these are just educated guesses.

See my Sony optical block problem web site for more details.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us