Phillips 55PL9773 or Samsung HLN507W? -help!

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through December 03, 2003Lawrence in Madison,347
Archive through January 04, 2004Rod100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

San Diego
Unregistered guest
Monica,

Regarding your DVD-Audio/SACD question: I have a Yamaha DVD audio/video player hooked up to my Onkyo and was initially confused with the analog vs. digital dilemna. For simplicity, you can use the optical/coaxial inputs into your receiver. For "better" seperation of the channels, you will notice that you have nanalog inputs in the back of the receiver for each output on your player. If you decide to use this setup, you need to press the button on your remote that says "A" with Audio written above it and TV/VCR below it. I noticed a tangible difference when playing back SOME songs. The difference is most noticeable with DTS sources. Super Audio I do not have. Good luck!

Unregistered guest
Guys,

I have also been looking at the Sammy and the Gateway. I look over your link LT and the specs look the same to me. The price sure doesn't.

Anyone out there heard anything about RCA's Scenium line?

Unregistered guest
Wrong email address on the first post. I am trying again.

New at this, cut me some slack.

Username: Lawrence_al

Post Number: 17
Rod - I think all set top boxes are software upgradable to some degree. Software upgrades are normally delivered via the satellite feed itself. I have no idea how often this might happen in a product life cycle. Some of these upgrades might be dictated by DirecTV (or other satellite provider if you don't use DirecTV). I would imagine they don't do this unless absolutely necessary as the satellite carrier must charge them for that service. On the Sony, there's an option in the service manu to see what software rev you have, when it was updated and even when the next update is planned (none show as planned as of this date).

Best check with Sony themselves. On the HTL-HD Hughes recever, I have no experience with this model, but as you will have read in this forum, Floyd has.

Nick - there is a comprehensive review on the new Gateway DLP in the latest edition of Widescreen Review. It was pretty impressive overall for the price.

Unregistered guest
LT,

Where can I get Widescreen Review, or do you have a link?

Thanks

Nick

Post Number: 18
Nick: here are three links to great magazines. I subscribe to all of them and read them almost cover-to-cover when they arrive each month!

Widescreen review: www.theperfectvision.com
Home Theater Magazine: www.hometheatermag.com

Enjoy!

Post Number: 19
Nick - re Widescreen Review, I notice that their web site features issue #80, but I have issue #81 in print already (arrived two days ago). That's the one with the Gateway DLP review.

Unregistered guest
LT,

Appreciate all of your helpful insight. I will head to book store for a copy.

Thanks again

Nick

Unregistered guest
LT and board,

Just returned from Books A Million and they did not have the new issue yet. I will keep trying.

Nick

Username: Brian_d_dallas

Post Number: 4
Lawrence, unfortunately I haven't hooked up to a satellite dish yet, but I'll report back about audio when I do.. I plan to get the dish after moving in the near future..

About the Samsung HD-931... This may be controversial, but after further experimentation, I think the 480P component output may be as good, if not better than the DVI output from this DVD player. One caveat, both the DVI and component inputs are independently tuned on the Hitachi 60v500, and that may be the difference...

Nevertheless, Art and others, if I had the chance to do the purchase over again, I would NOT buy the Samsung HD-931 for the 1080i up-conversion. The picture just does not seem to get any better. Besides, DVD's are at best 480 to begin with.. To save money I'd go with a good 480P DVD player instead..

Another note, the component output also looked better than the DVI output from my Sony Satellite Receiver into the Hitachi 60v500. It is very minor but I'm picky enough to catch some dithering and loss of detail. I think the problem may be with the DVI port on the Hitachi 60v500... Theoretically the picture should be the same, right?

Post Number: 20
Brian - interesting points on the Samsung HD-931. As you say, it's all 480p to begin with. The latest news on HD DVD's is that the big giants are still battling over proposed standards with the HD-DVD proposed std. apparently winning over Sony's Blu-Ray group, but only time will tell.

On your Hitachi component vs DVI, actually the DVI should be hands down better as that's the only one that's digital all the way, so something is wrong. Component is an analog feed. If you are using the supplied DVI cable that came with your equipment, that's one possible cause. I ponied up a small fortune for a Monster Cable DVI interconnect but the signal's great. It's also possible there's an issue with the DVI port on the Hitachi. You might want to discuss this with Hitachi technical support.

This could also be why your Samsung DVD doesn't seem to be so good as you thought it might be. The cable is definately a suspect. Check out Crutchfield on-line - I saved 50% over Tweeter's retail prices, but a local store will have hopefully have a liberal return policy if it makes no perceptible difference.

Username: Unc879wins

Well, the dirty deed is done. I ordered the HLN567W ($4099 w/free shipping). They had 18 units on hand so my timing was right. HD-931 ordered as well. Monster M500DVI and M1000CV also. Hooah.

Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 3
Andrew,
Congrats, I really like this set. How far are you going to sit from it? Where did you buy it?I have not been reading the best things about the Sammy DVD player on this forum.
-E

Username: Unc879wins

Post Number: 5
With most everything, you find 1/2 good 1/2 bad when it comes to reviews. I am planning on using the DVI connection from DVD to TV so we'll see. I purchased thru hypeaudio. Sitting about 15' from screen. I'll give updates as this process continues.

Anonymous

Intel Moves Into Consumer Electronics
Thu 8 January, 2004 18:40

By Daniel Sorid

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Intel Corp. INTC.O on Thursday said it will begin supplying microchips for digital televisions this year as part of a push into the $100 billion consumer electronics market.

The world's largest microchip maker said it intends to give consumer electronics the same level of attention it gave last year to wireless technology, which was highlighted in a $300 million marketing campaign for its laptop computer chips.

While Intel already dominates the market for PC microprocessors, its latest initiatives target a new set of competitors: consumer electronics leaders such as the Netherlands' Philips Electronics PHG.AS , who are unlikely to accept the chip giant's entry without a fight.

"Our goal is to eliminate boundaries between electronic devices inside and outside the home," Paul Otellini, Intel president and chief operating officer, said in a statement. "For Intel in 2004, this effort will receive as much focus as the work we did last year to advance wireless technologies for mobile computing."

Otellini, who is scheduled to outline Intel's plans on Thursday at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, said the company expects to deliver a microdisplay chip, which uses a technology called liquid crystal on silicon, in the second half of the year.

Display manufacturers in China, Taiwan, and the United States are now working with Intel prototypes, the company said.

Otellini is also expected to outline the company's work on a slim-form computer it calls the Entertainment PC. The PC, expected to be available from PC manufacturers mid-year for under $800, connects directly to the television and includes a remote control instead of a keyboard.

The Entertainment PC, Intel said, will organize TV programs, movies, music, and video games, and share them over wireless home networks.

Earlier this week, Intel said it would invest $200 million in companies that are building "digital home" technologies intended to allow media to freely flow between electronic devices around the home.

Intel's television chips use a novel technology that combines liquid crystals, a mirror-like surface and a silicon chip.

Texas Instruments Inc. TXN.N already supplies a chip using a rival technology, called digital light processing, which uses more than a million microscopic mirrors to reflect a high-definition image onto a big-screen television. Big-screen sets based on DLP are produced by Korea's Samsung Electronics 005930.K , France's Thomson TMS.PA , and others.

Intel said it expects televisions based on its technology to be available for less than $2000. The company said Infocus Corp., a U.S. digital projector maker, China's TCL and Skyworth, as well as Taiwan's Primax PDC are developing products based on prototype Intel microdisplays.

> With most everything, you find 1/2 good 1/2 bad when it comes to reviews. I am planning on using the DVI connection from DVD to TV so we'll see.

Andrew, when your Samsung(s) arrive, I'd be really interested in hearing your input on what the DVI connection looks like in relationship to the component connection..

Post Number: 6
Well, the final hours of the 30-day return period for the Hitachi 60v500 were winding down, and I blinked. The Hitachi 60v500 is going back. Circuit City on Dallas Parkway was very gracious in accepting this HDTV back after I had it for 29 days. Thank You Circuit City... I'm sure they will sell it in no time this weekend anyway. It's a great LCD projection TV, but not for me in the long run. Here are my top 3 reasons for the return:

1. It can't be used effectively as a crisp and clear computer monitor. I have it looking decent (using undocumented display resolutions through a program called Powerstrip), but I know that other TV's like the Samsung HLN567W provide the computer hookup on the back and DO support connecting a computer. I went through all levels of support at HItachi, and the final guy told me to hook my computer up using the S-Video connection (ack!).

2. The 60v500 is approximately 45 more pounds and a foot wider than the Samsung HLN567W . It looks gigantic in my living room, and I think the footprint may just be too large. Since I am looking to move in the near future, I can't see how I would move 140 lbs without the expense of hiring someone. (Maybe it wasn't the best idea to buy the TV right before I knew I might be moving?)

3. The DVI input on the back does not look as good as the component input when DVI should actually look better... Since DVI is digital, I don't see how the 1's or 0's could have been getting lost by a bad cable... If they were, I'd assume the picture would look like it does when I start to lose a digital terrestrial signal. I could be wrong, but did not have time to experiment since it is day 29...

If I do buy another LCD projection TV, there are two things I would do differently. 1. Make the purchase contingent on testing it out at the store. Create an all white screen by using Wipe Screen from the menu and look for dead pixels in the white, and conversly look for stuck pixels on the black background with no signal. I would have avoided the 1 dead pixel on this screen if I had done that. And 2. Find a place with a cheap exended warranty... For example, the Sears over here offers the same term warranty at half the price - and I read somewhere that it includes bulb replacement, but can't verify that fact.. (I feel a bit guilty about pointing that out since Circuit City treated me so well on the return).

So, it's not completely back to the drawing board since I feel like I've learned a lot from the experience and after talking about it with the members on this board. It will be a lot easier to make the next HDTV purchase decision... Speaking of that, I might be moving to a place that might have space for a media room.... Here's a link to the new toy I'm considering (Sanyo PLV-Z2):

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sanyo_plv_z2.htm

The neat thing about a projector is that it only weighs 9 pounds... A little lighter than the 60v500 when moving. :-)

Username: Claytonj

Post Number: 1
First off I'd like to say this is a great thread. I've learned a great deal from reading this. Hat's off to Bride for starting this.

This week I had a conversation with a co-worker that informed me that our local Sound Advice(Tweeter) had a 55" Cineos. I think the LCOS technology is amazing. So I went to take a look at the Cineos. I was amazed by the set. I stared at it then notice directly behind it was a 46" Sammy. They both had HD Discovery playing. I've been admiring the Sammy's for a few months now and loved the picture but man did the Cineos blew it away (IMO). I'm totally in love with the Cineos. I didn't see any of the problems posted earlier in this thread. My friend noticed a bit of rainbow but he was extremely close to the set and he saw it on the Sammy too. I have yet to see this but I understand why it happens. He also thought the Cineos had the better picture. They had a price tag of 3799 on it and the Sammy 56" was 4499. So I'm trying to get the wife talked into getting a big set. Now my question - Has anyone seen any of the newer "fixed" Cineos sets and what's your opinion on them. I'm going to call Sound Advice today and ask what the availability is on these.

Anonymous

Anybody have an idea why my infared system for my remote controls wont work when the small receiver that receives the signal from the remote controls is located near my plasma TV? As soon as I hide the small receiver away from the TV the infared system works fine. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Post Number: 21
Anonymous - can't say I have an answer to your remote problem, but I can suggest you check out this link: http://www.remotecentral.com/index.html . This site (it has forums too) has everything you ever needed to know about remote controls and you may find the answer there. If you do - be sure to come back here and post it for the rest of us. I'm curious!

Post Number: 22
Clayton - interesting update on the Cineos! I have thought all along that LCoS will win eventually. I'll pop into the Tweeter here in Huntsville and see if they one this weekend.

jr
Unregistered guest
I found out that it is common for some Plasmas interfere with IR systems.

Post Number: 2
I'm being told by my wife that we can get a new tv in April for my b-day. I want the Cineos but she's worried with it being new and the problems it's had that there will be more issues. I'm hoping there are no other issues. :-)

Lawrence did you see one over the weekend?

Post Number: 23
Clayton - sorry, I ended up working on Saturday and I had a big plumbing project on Sunday so never made it out of the house.

I'll try to swing by the store this week and report back.

Username: Toaster

I am really starting to hate this, I just want an beautiful picture with technology that wont be obsolete next year. I have looked at the SamDLP, the XBR Sony and now the Philips LCOS and each has its benfits but now i hear of the the hitachi 60V500A and now i even more confused than ever. i have the goahead from the wife to buy whatever iwant but it better be the best and brightest but i am frozen with fear of buying the wrong set. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Post Number: 7
Santosh, if you want to be really confused, follow the link I put in my last post:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sanyo_plv_z2.htm

And you'll be wondering if you even want a set top box! (Of course, anything you choose depends on your personal situation, where you're going to put it, your likes and dislikes, etc). Every technology has it's advantages and disadvantages... There's no one perfect set. If you enter the buying process with that in mind, do your homework, you'll come up with the best option for yourself.. Just spend an afternoon reading this board, and I think you'll find out most of the pro's and con's for the sets mentioned. Good luck... Brian

Unregistered guest
Attention Santosh: as I have mentioned in this forum several times in the past, but not rescently, Consumer Reports in their March issue will test and report and recommend the larger/bigger HDTV units, this should hit the stores and homes around Feb. 9, 2004. Their recommendations on Plasma TV's is already on line, the top rater was the 42" Hitachi 42HDT50 which goes for a whopping obscene price of $6000.00, the rest will be out in less than a month, it might be wise to wait until then and then make a decision and choice. Happy Hunting!

Unregistered guest
Just got back in town and picked up the Widescreen Review that Lawrence spoke about on the Gateway DLP 56". The review was good. I went by to look and they are now selling it for $2999. Can anyone give me a reason not to buy this set. They had it hooked up only to a computer, and are showing Harry Potter. My wife and I saw no rainbows, and I got the ok to purchase. Just wanted some input from the guru board on this.

Thanks

Nick

Username: Blev

Just wanted to give a final posting now that I have had my Sammy DLP (56") for a few weeks. As you'd see if you read my previous posts, I had waited and waited for the Cineos hoping to love it. But, in the end I went with the DLP because I was seeing constant rainbows on the Cineos. The bottom line is that I could not be happier.

Ironically, I do see rainbows on the Sammy now (I didn't in the store when I made the decision), but they are fairly infrequent so they don't bother me at all. But, the HD picture is simply phenomenal. While I felt the Cineos in the store had more natural colors (it's greatest advantage over the DLP I thought at the time) than the DLP in the store, after very minimal adjustments, my Sammy looks better than anything I've seen in a store.

I'm sure that is in no small part due to the fact that I haven't split my signal 100 times and I don't have people adjusting it all day long. But, there are no clay faces, no color push into green or red (I've heard people complain about both) and the black levels and brightness are much better than the Cineos (again, as I saw them in the store).

One of the greatest things about this TV is its design. The Tantus line (46" and 56") are designed with an extremely thin (~1/2") exterior surrounding the screen (the speakers are on the bottom). When watching widescreen programs, all you see is screen. It's a very cool effect. It is so much more realistic and movie theatre like than other TVs with more standard design (particularly the Cineos which has its speakers on the sides).

To any of you who are still on the fence, I wholeheartedly recommend this TV. I know that feeling in the pit of your stomach that comes from being afraid to make the wrong call or to make any call without being sure this is indeed the latest and best technology possible. I had it for months. But, I did a lot of research and looked at each of the potential candidates (DLP (both Sammy and Scenium), LCD (Sony and Hitachi), and LCOS (Cineos)) many times (including the Cineos which I saw at 3 different locations), and I can't imagine a person anywhere that would not be thrilled with what I'm seeing with the Samsung. And the fact that it's 2nd generation makes it even more attractive.

One warning though about this TV though; it's component inputs only accept 480p, 720p or 1080i, so if whatever you will be using to receive HD signals cannot upconvert 480i programming to one of those formats, you will have to switch inputs whenever you change channels from an HD broadcast to a regular broadcast. I was doing this for a few days until Comcast told me you could change the setting on the cable box to upconvert. This may be how all HD receivers work, but as I didn't know about the cable box setting at first, I thought I'd pass it along.

Hope that helps anyone still deciding. Happy viewing.

Post Number: 24
Nick - just remember that if they had the Gateway hooked up to a computer and were playing a DVD off that, then almost any screen would look great as this drives a pure digital signal all the way. The real test is how it handles analog input via component or other analog input; and also how it handles the upconvertion if you drive it at 480i/480p. Presumably you would use DVI (digital) for TV and component for DVD.

You also might check how it handles sizing a 4:3 feed onto the 16:9 screen. My Sony SAT-HD300 and Samsung DLP combination handles this perfectly but I had a battle with an earlier try-out with Samsung's SIR-TR165 box (it wouldn't remember the setting and it looked skewed as well). Stretching can be handled either within your set-top box or the monitor. It's a big deal because most TV feed is still std def for now and if it handles this badly it will drive you insane (or your wife - much worse because it "your fault"!).

The biggest question of all is how the scalar handles 480i feed and upconverts it to 720p. I let my Sony do all the scaling and I send the feed to my Sammy at 720p (although in defense of the Sammy, if I swap the roles, the Sammy still does it as well.

I read that the Gateway has a Faroudja scalar so it should be good!

Culpeppa
Unregistered guest
Sammy DLP 50" is a good mate to the most plentiful HD cable box out there, the MotorolaDCT5100.

You DO need to ensure the cable box 480 override is set to 480p so that you can use the DLPs componenet inputs for SD channels.

Culpeppa
Unregistered guest
Just hooked up the cable box DVI to my Samsung HNL507W. I was expecting the PQ to be even better than the component connection. Sadly, it was not. The analog picture looked sharper than the digital. That did not compute to me. Until ...

It seems all that fancy DNIe processing is not available on the DVI input. I can tell because when I try to turn DNIe on, it says "Not Available". And sure enough, it isn't.

The DNIe corrected analog component input actually looks better than the digital DVI input. Huh. Go figure.

Post Number: 24
Culpeppa,
You can have the cable box set to 1080i or 720p. I am not sure which is better. I looked at both and could not tell the difference. If the cable box outputs 1080i then the TV has to convert it to 720p. It seems that is the way to go. Unless the TV does a beter job of converting the 1080i signal to 720p than the cable box does with converting its native output to 720p. I have had my set for two weeks and think it is great.
-E

culpeppa
Unregistered guest
-E,
I agree with ya. I have my moto5100 cable box output at 1080i so that my Sammy can do the conversion to 720p.

I'm just disappointed that the DNIe processing does not happen on the DVI port. What was Samsung thinking? Except that maybe DNIe only works with analog. Maybe thats it. If so, they do such a good job of analog correction that it looks better than the digital.

Unregistered guest
Hey all, I've followed this thread a long time, and all my reseach always pointed me to the Samsung DLP. That was my final choice.

I ordered the HLN507W just before xmas, and received a "loaner" set, HLM5065, as the place I went didn't have any HLN507's in stock.

So, I thought I'd post my comments on them both, etc.

The HLM5065, first generation, etc...would make a nice set for a budget, since you can get them cheaper, and for HD, or DVDs it looked great. (I have the Mot-DCT5100 cable box.) I never noticed the rainbows on any color wheel set, and I was hard pressed to do it with this set at home. The std cable quality was fairly, with no DNIe and not very good upconversion. (I have the Motorola box set to 720p out, with 480p overide for the standard feeds. My thought on this, is if you have a 720p station, then send it straight through to the TV without conversion. If it's a 1080i feed, let the box handle it and send the 720p. If you set the box to 1080i and it is a 720p signal, then the box has to convert to 1080i then your tv converts it back. I think no conversion or one conversion by the box is better than the one or two conversions.) Lastly, I have a PS2 and just using the S-video (480i) input, the conversion was also fairly muddy, so the TV itself was just having trouble from 480(anything) to full screen (normal or wide). Anyway, the speakers are still on the bottom for the 50" and the bezel is fairly thin, but silver on this set. I really wanted my new HLN507, though.

Now, the HLN507 showed up last week. First thing I checked was the cable input on regular channels. MUCH IMPROVED! More like what I was expecting. The Antenna input seemed brighter, but that can all be adjusted via the picture/display settings. Then I checked the HD channels. They seemed similar to the prior set, just a bit better maybe. The DNIe seemed to sharpen the pic a bit to a point of some distortion, noticed mostly on the KCETHD logo and the like. I like a sharp picture, but it was a bit distracting. I wish I could have the DNIe on for any 480 input but auto turn off for any HD signal. I still bounce around, but mostly leave it off. The PS2 input now looked like it was on a computer monitor, everything was super crisp, as it was on my old 32" direct view. Absolutely perfect. DVDs are also great. So, anyway, I find the picture quality to be much better. About the 507 versus 5065, I am much happier with the grey/black bezel of the 507, as the screen seems to float more than with the silver bezel of the 5065's.

Lastly, strangely enough, I notice the rainbow effect on this newer TV much more than the other. It's most apparent in scenes with lots of dark but with some stark white sections, like in Ocean's Eleven. The handkerchief in the pocket of the tuxes just glow and show the effect. I think it was mostly being aware of the problem and kind of experimenting by moving my eyes around... Not thinking about it, it is not as noticable.

In the end I am very happy with the TV, and as many say, it comes down to the wife, and the wife noticed the difference on the cable channels and is much happier with this set.

Looks like I'll be getting a Cineos in April. Has anyone had any experience with the newer models? What's your thoughts?

Unregistered guest
Does anyone have thoughts about picture quality, reliability, technology, etc. regarding these two sets:

Philips Cineos 55PL977S/17 with Pixel Plus vs. Hitachi 50V500

I have the ability to buy either set for basically the same all-in cost (one is a descent price at Circuit City and the other is with an Employee discount).

Which would you buy?

Any thoughts are appreciated!!

Unregistered guest
Brad.. it remains to be seen if Philips has their earlier problems with the Cineos set up ironed out, if they don't then the Hitachi is the pick. Consumer Reports's March issue deals with your very question and will review many HDTV sets. If it's any help, their online reviews of plasma TV's picked the Hitachi 60V500A as the best plama but at $6000.00 retail it is too much to spend for a b..b tube, Consumer Reports should be out with their March issue either online or by mail or both by Feb 9 more or less. Good Luck, Sam Rogers in Dallas.

Unregistered guest
I have a samsung HCN4727W, a hughes e86 HD reciever for directv. sometimes the "t" is missing on HDNET logo, like the picture is beneath the border of the screen. normally the edge of the "t" is against the edge of the screen. am I missing and inch all around? Is it the reciever? the TV? or directv? I also notice some of the discovery HD channel logo missing (the small "y" is gone and the large "d" cut in half). Ive had HD for only a few months, been so impressed I havent complained about it but its time to correct it. helpppppppppppppp

Gerry in PA
Unregistered guest
Many viewers of this site know that Samsung's HLP5085 won CES' Best of Innovations 2004 for the video category at Las Vegas last month. It has the HD2+ chip (for release in June) and HD3 DLP chips are not far behind. This raises an interesting question regarding if and how "upgradable" first and second generation DLP sets are by adding next generation or future generation chips to them. There may be limits to doing this, somewhat like PCs that are limited in upgradability to faster microprocessors by a given motherboard and chip set. Anyone have answers or thoughtful speculation about this?

By the way, I have a HLP567 and am very happy with it. Of course, no matter how good any technology is when you buy it, it will be superceded by advancements within a year or two.

Post Number: 25
Vincent - you appear to be running in some form of Zoom mode. Check the screen settimgs on your Hughes box (I'm not familiar with this model - I have a Sony). On my Sony, I can zoom the picture to different degrees and it will produce this effect. It also shows up when tickers across the bottom on CNN etc are cut-off.

If it is not that, your overscan must be well off, which is definately not normal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Cupeppa - I came across this interesting explanation of DNIe on Samsung's site:

"DNIe Technology in a Nutshell
Samsung's unique DNIe technology encompasses four functions that analyze all signal input, from analog to high definition, in stages. The volume of noise in the signal is detected and the signal level is classified according into analog, SD or HD and then optimized accordingly."

I have never been able to enable DNIe on my DVI input either and I assumed it was only relevant to analog signals, but the above explanation seems to infer otherwise. Perhaps the DVI signal is so clean it, Samsung decided not to enable it for DVI on these models!

My HD signal is so perfect, I'm not sure what it could do anyway as DNIe is supposed to reduce the effect of noise artifacts - no digital signal should have noise artifacts anyway - that's the point of having digital!!

Well I think with all the littel issues I'm still hearing about with the Cineos set's. I'm gonna go with the 56" Sammy.

Rafi R
Unregistered guest
First, I wanted to add my thanks to the folks who have been posting to this thread. It has been quite an education. It's an example of how useful the Internet can be.

I had a couple of items to share, but I'm not sure if this posting is going to work, so I'll post this message first and then re-post if I can.

Rafi R
Unregistered guest
Posting obviously worked.

I have been in the market for a little while for HDTV. Had to wait until I moved into my new house, which gave me the opportunity to shop around and learn for a few months.

I had planned on the 61" Samsung, based partly on the reviews here. My father-in-law bought the 43" Samsung and the picture is outstanding.

I talked to a friend of mine in the consumer electronics industry. Without naming names, he works for a company mentioned several times in this thread and he works on directly on HDTV technology. Since he has some knowledge of where things are headed, not just what's great in the stores today, I asked him for help. Here was his advice to me:

Don't drop $5,000 on a DLP TV now; wait a while. If you can't sit on the sidelines, buy something to tide you over. Why? Because of the following:

1) LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon) will be the eventual winner. It will beat DLP, LCD, and plasma. The LCOS TVs today may not be as good or reliable or whatever, but they will have the best picture at the best price down the line.

2) If you wait a few years (ugghhh!), the technology will improve and the prices will drop.

BUT, I countered, isn't that the same refrain we always hear with technology? I could still be waiting to buy my first computer if I used that logic.

True, my friend said, but technology goes in spurts. There was a time when each newer faster computer each year chip made a huge difference in performance, followed by a long stretch when little innovation happened and prices gently drifted down. We're at the point in the TV cycle when the developments are coming fast and furious, but they will be slowing down in a couple of years when everything catches up to the new high standards.

I asked when I should buy an HDTV. My friend predicted that the new line of LCOS TVs would probably hit in late 2004, early 2005, but X-mas 2005 or even X-mas 2006 would really be the ideal time to invest in a system, as prices would have dropped by then (and some of these first generation bugs would be gone). He feels that after 2006 the price drops and technology additions will be in much smaller increments.

That's all well and good, but my idea of waiting is March, 2004, not December 2006. Here was his interim advice:

1) Check the interfaces--get HDMI. Just as S Video had its day and component connectiosn then became the rage, HDMI will be the new standard and will stay the standard for another 7 to 10 years. (That's not a casual guess, by the way; predicting which standard will dominate for how long is very important to these guys.) Getting HDMI is key to get for this reason: Not only is it the best picture, IT IS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN PLAY HIGH DEFINITION DVDS. High def DVDs are on the way soon, and you'll be very unhappy in a couple of years when you cannot play them on a TV you spent thousands on.

A note on HDMI. I saw a misleading post on it earlier in the thread. If a TV has an HDMI interface, that means it has DVI (digital video interface) w/ sound and can decode high def DVDs. If a TV has a DVI interface, sound goes through an alternate source and it may or may not support HDMI that would let it decode high def DVDs [The Sammys, by the way, have a DVI that supports HDMI, so they can decode high def DVDs (though sound goes through a separate wire)].

2. Hold off on some of the related components (e.g DVD player) if you don't really need new ones. Why spend a lot on a brand new progressive scan DVD when high def DVD players are right around the corner?

Well, this had me rethinking my Sammy 61" purchase plan. Since this post is already long enough I'll write in later with my new plan, along with a couple of questions I have.

Hope this post helps a few people, as previous posts have helped me.

june
Unregistered guest
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/displays_LCD_DLP_plasma8.html

Anonymous

I have been reading all the cool news about the new Samsung DLPs and the next generation of chips. I currently have a HLN46 and plan on keeping it a while. I figured I could, in the future; 1)Upgrade my Sony HD Rec box 2)Upgrade to the HD3 chip, or 3) Run my existing HD Rec (Sony 200) through a future HD DVR. Is this a sound strategy? Any ideas? At what point would make sense for each option? Please advise.

jon dough
Unregistered guest
After months of waiting for the resolution of the newest and best technology: LCOS, and considering all others over and over, it seems like the Philips Cineos for this year have been fixed.
BUT
A call to someone inside "P" said despite fixes, wait until the new model comes out, two to three months.
Life goes on while you wait a year or two for all the improvements, but a couple of months, and then it will be done. Cineos in the corner of LR. It will be time.

By the way, it seems like Philips uses the last digit as the year so look for the coming of the "4". I think that the 55PL977S is actually a 55PL9773 in silver, which is I think the only color anyway.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Interesting input Rafi, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, it is always tempting to wait, but I must admit that waiting 2-3 years was just way too agonizing for me and a lot of folks! I just love my Sammy 61" and I know I made the best decision available to me at that time in the fall of 2003.

You are correct on HDMI. I would also advise everyone to keep well informed on the whole HD DVD battle that is still waging in the development arena. The DVD Forum has finally approved the Toshiba/NEC system, but the Blu-Ray Group (Hitachi, LG Electronics, Matsushita, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Thomson, Dell and HP) has not conceded defeat and are forging ahead without Forum sanction.

The Hollywood Studios are flexing major muscle in this battle and Columbia Tri-Star (owned no less by Sony) are on one side and the likes of Disney got themselves elected to the Steering Committee of the DVD Forum. God help us if we end up with two DVD formats on the market (remember Sony's Betamax?). The whole thing is messy and the Department of Justice is now investigating the Blu-Ray group for allegedly trying to delay or scupper the advance of the competing format. The Battle Lines for the official format may be drawn, but the War has just begun!

The absolute best magazine to keep you informed on this battle is Widescreen Review (http://www.widescreenreview.com/). I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in ultimately investing in HD DVD technology when it comes out (i.e. true HD DVD, not an upconverted std DVD).

For we the consumer, staying informed is as important as ever if we are to spend our dollars wisely. There are essentially two diferent breeds of consumer out there - the informed and the naive. Anyone who reads this column and others like it is by definition "informed" because they personally went and researched this stuff.

Those who don't are more liable to depend on advice from sales staff in stores like B*** Buy and C***** City for help and in my opinion will be sold what is best for the store or the salesman's commission at that time and not what's necessarily the best technology-wise and "future-proof" unless they did their homework and can steer and control the sale. I have seen that happen to a couple of friends of mine who proudly showed off what they had just purchased and I quietly cringed when I heard what they had been told (for example, being told a screen supports HDTV when it can only **display** EDTV). As prices come down, we will probably find budget HDTV products moving into stores like Wal-Mart where there is likely to be even less technical advice on hand and you are already on your own if you are a Sams Club or Costco Member so you have to know what your are purchasing from these types of stores.

On a side note, while researching something I came across this handy website with a well stocked Glossary:

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/

Jorge Moreyra
Unregistered guest
Need assistance with my HLN-567W Samsung DLP. Here is my hardware: Samsung HD-931 DVD, Samsung SIR-TS160 Receiver and of course, the 567W DLP Samsung. Got the DVD player on DVI to TV. While watching a DVD, I get black bars on top and bottom (horizontally). When choosing "ASPECT" on my remote, I only get TWO options; WIDE(TV) and WIDE(PC)..The manual says I should have WIDE, PANORAMA, and a couple more.. What's going on?...I have checked and recheched my DVD and TV settings..Still same thing..How can I watch a DVD movie with the whole screen filled in??? My DVD movie says "2. 35 Anorphic Widescreen" whatever that means...Help!

Unregistered guest
Well, after reading and writing in this forum for over a year it's time to announce that we have made a decision. We are going tomorrow to Ed Kellum & Son here in Dallas and purchase the Sony KV-34XBR910. This is the highest rated TV in Consumer Reports, C-Net, eopinions and 8 other web sites that I have looked at so far. Our family room isn't that BIG so we don't need a lummox dominating one end of it. Will let you know how things turn out in a month or 2. Kind Regards, Sam in Dallas

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Jorge,
I have a 507w, not using the DVI input. A 2.35:1 movie is "wider" than 16x9. What this means is you will have black bars on the top and bottom. With the other HD inputs you can only select wide or normal, not any of the zoom modes. I suspect this is the same for the DVI input, but I'll have to check my manual.
Try the following link for a better explanation.
-E
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/

Unregistered guest
Samsung Upgrade Strategies

Here is a previous message:

I have been reading all the cool news about the new Samsung DLPs and the next generation of chips. I currently have a HLN46 and plan on keeping it a while. I figured I could, in the future; 1)Upgrade my Sony HD Rec box 2)Upgrade to the HD3 chip, or 3) Run my existing HD Rec (Sony 200) through a future HD DVR. Is this a sound strategy? Any ideas? At what point in time would it make sense for each option? Please advise.

Brazil2
Unregistered guest
I just bought a 61" Samsung from Crutchfield. It arrived in one piece and the customer service was great. Quick question for the general community:
The Comcast cable guy is coming out on Friday to install high def cable. Am I doing myself a dis-service by opting for high def cable instead of high def satellite? Is there a marked difference between the two? Thanks!

Culpeppa
Unregistered guest
Brazil,
IMO cable is playing catch up to sat in terms of number of HD channels available. With the big exception that cable offers the networks (well, most of them), and sat does not.

Picture quality should not be noticably different. Opinions vary, but if anything cable has more bandwidth for future needs. Although sat companies say compression technology is evolving that will level the playing field. Anyway, HD cable looks great on my 50" Sammy.

Username: Floyd_in_cbus

Post Number: 20
Hello all. It has been awhile since my Last post! I continue to follow this forum. A great resource for researching HDTV! For those of you with Sammy's that have Screen size problems.... I suggest you all read your instruction manual thoroughly and carefully with the remote in your hand and a DVD in your player! If you have a Samsung 160 or Hughes E86, you may want to throw it in the garbage and get the Sony SAT-HD 300 or Hughes HTL-HD! More on the Hughes in a moment!

Changing screen size...
You can only select wide, Normal (4:3) screen size in the Component mode
Screen size can't be changed in the DVI and PC (1080i) mode
You can select Wide (TV), Wide (PC) screen size in the DVI and PC (720p) mode.
You can select Wide (TV), Wide (PC). Normal (4:3) screen size in the DVI and PC (480p) Mode. This is straight out of the manual! Try different channels -- DVD chapters to get accustom to the settings!

Basically .... Use your remote to change to your comfortable screen size! Come on NOW! Set that universal remote aside and use the Samsung! It's not that bad of A REMOTE IS IT? I am afraid I can't speak of the cable! I have been a DirecTV customer since inception!

Now to the Hughes... The HTL-HD has been spectacular! I know I had some earlier issues. But, I was new system! I average 15 channels a week, only one of them may have the noise raster I was talking about! It appears, it all hinges on the quality of the broadcast itself! I only get it during sub-standard broadcasts! So far.. So good! The Sony SAT-HD300 is still in my future!

Wouldn't you agree Lawrence? Read the manual? BTW... How are ya? How's the 61? If it's anything like my 50, I'm sure your rockin'~!!! Sammy DLP- The only way to go -- Right here-Right now!!!

Very interested in the LcOS! Please keep me informed!

Danimal
Unregistered guest
Brian, regarding your post about the DVI not looking as good as the Component input...

I read somewhere that your DVI input MUST be DVI-HDCP in order to take advantage of the 1080i upconvert on the imaging.... at least with the Samsung DVD player with the DVI out that is what they say....

I am thinking of geting this, but i havent SEEN it in action on a HDTV WITH DVI-HDCP yet....

Has anybody?

Does it REALLY look that much better than the regular progressive scan DVD signal?

I was told the normal DVD scan is at 480p, so what is the point of putting THAT on a HDTV with 1080 lines if you are not going to upconvert it?

I wish i could see it in a store for PROOF that it is worth it... i've noticed many DVI inputs are NOT HDCP, so this could be why it doesnt look good for you... maybe?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Hi Floyd - welcome back! Nice to see you are rocking with the Sammy and the Hughes. Yes, my 61" and Sony SAT are doing great. I absolutely agree you gotta dig into the manuals and explore the menus in TVs, SAT/Cable receivers and DVD players to understand all the options and to get the best out of your system.

I accidentally ran for weeks with my Sony SAT-HD300 set to output at 480p before I realized it and switched to 720p. The Sammy did a great job of unconverting as needed, but when I switched the Sony to 720p it made a distinct difference to how std def material looked (less grainy and more HD-like). I recall when you drilled down into your DVD menus you discovered it was only outputting interlaced instead of progressive. Amazingly, many "Progessive" DVD players actually output at 480i straight out of the box unless you specifically choose the 480p option.

Aspect ratios seem to catch a lot of folks out. The trouble is, you never see the stores demo'ing a 2.35:1 anamorphic DVD, so you only ever see 1.78:1 material. It doesn't occur to everyone that 2.35:1 equates to 16:7 screen size and 1.78:1 equates to a 16:9 screen size (do the math) and, yes, there are technical limits on which inputs allow changes to the Aspect Ratio (and DVD's can't be changed).

But I must admit, when you first get these new toys, you always want to play with them first, and read the manual later!!

Still waiting on word of HD Tivo's coming to town....

Brazil2
Unregistered guest
Culpeppa:
Thanks for your info on cable vs sat high def.
My cable company is COMCAST here in Los Angeles.
They say that the DVI output on their HD cable boxes are inactive. If this is the case, I'm not getting a TRUE HD signal then with the component cable hook-up am I? In my new Sammy DLP 61" with the component cable hook-up (COMCAST's cables by the way),I see a lot of bleeding, fuzzness and lack of clarity. Should I opt for HD SAT in this case? Or should I try different component cables? What cable company do you subscribe to?
Brazil2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Brazil2 - HD should be crisp and sharp with no fuzziness or artifacts. Are you sure your cable box is set to output at 720p? If it is set up wrong, you may be sending a 480p (or worse, 480i) signal, leaving it to the Sammy to upconvert it to 720p. That could certainly explain the fuzziness and so on. The Comcast cables are probably basic quality which does not help either.

The original HD signal is digital and your cable box is outputting it as analog (over component). As you are sending an analog signal to the Sammy, the Sammy has to convert it back to digital again. Needless to say, some quality gets lost in the process.

I have experimented before to see how a component feed looked from my Sony SAT-HD300 and it wasn't bad at all, although the DVI feed clearly had the edge.

First thing to do is confirm your cable box is outputting at 720p.

Brazil2
Unregistered guest
Thanks a million for your advice Lawrence!
I'll check into this right away and get back.
Brazil2.

Anonymous

So is the Philips out of it? It seems nobody talks about it now.

Brazil2
Unregistered guest
Lawrence, what type of component cables do you recommend? Monster?
One other thing: Will my non-HD channels improve in picture quality after I change outputs (assuming the output is currently set up wrong), in the cable box from 480p or 480i to the correct setting of 720p? Because as is stands now, my non HD channels are so bad I can barely stand to watch them.
Thanks again.
Brazil2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
LTD,
I switched my comcast box back and forth between 1080i and 720p, connected to my samsung 507w. I could not see the difference. The question is do I want the cable box to convert signals to 720 or the TV. If the native signals are 1080i (I don't have ABC here in Atlanta), which does a better job of converting, the cable box or TV?
-E

Culpeppa
Unregistered guest
Brazil,
Yes, you are getting a true HD signal if Comcast is offering it in your area. HDNET seems to look the best. Actually anything shot with digital cameras looks best. So, how best to get the cable feed to your Sammy? I'll assume your Comcast box is the Motorola 5100. Check its settings by, via the remote, turning the power off and hit the menu key. My settings are:

TV Type: 16:9 (because you have a widescreen TV)
YPbPr Output: 1080i (to let the Sammy do the conversion to 720p, its native resolution)
4:3 Overide: 480p (must be set to this because your TV's component 2&3 inputs do not accept 480i. Component 1 does, thats meant for your DVD player)

So make sure you are using either component 2, or 3, input on your Sammy. Since component cables are analog, some say monster's gold plating and extra shielding carry the signal best. Maybe, but the PQ difference, if any, is not noticable to me. My six foot component cable cost about $16. With DVI, it makes no difference, thats a digital cable.

BTW, I seem to get a better picture using component instead of DVI, I think, because the Sammy does not do DNIe correction on the DVI input.

As for SD channels, you are probably at the mercy of the PQ your local Comcast sends to you, and/or the number of splitters or interference in your house. My SD channels look OK, although even that varies channel to channel. They're broadcast in 480i, output by your cable box in 480p, and converted to 720p by the TV. In the future, perhaps cable boxes will have more output options. I'm not sure that Sat boxes handle it any differently right now.

Anonymous

Has anyone bought the Philips LCoS? And if so what do ya think of it.

Username: Mannyaguilar

Aurora, IL United States

Hi to all. New to posting but and old follower of the thread. First I would like to thank everybody that participates in this great board. Special thanks to Lawrence. I've learned so much in the past year. I started reading the board b/c I was interested on LCD projection TV, DLP came out, then LCOS. Fast times we are living, aren't we? We should be grateful for this, past generations saw very little changes compared to us. Well, to the subject of the thread now: Samsung vs. Philips. I been following the unfortunate development of the Cineos (b/c I really like the set!) and just yesterday stopped by Tweeter, the Phillips next to the Samsung next to a Sony (LCD). I couldn't see rainbows or pink elefants or anythig else on any of them. I liked the Cineos better even though the colors were more vivid on the Samsung (could that be just settings?), but definition was better on the Cineos and deepness was better too. Now, the deal is this: I can get the Cineos for $3,200 and free shipping from Philips (employee disc.) but offer it won't last long. What are the news on this sets? Has the problem been fixed completely? Am I safe buying this set? Anybody has seen the Cineos recently at stores? Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Dave V
Unregistered guest
I currently own a Cineos and I'm returning it. I've documented the various reasons why over at avsforum.com. The biggest problem is what people like to call snowballs. My best guess is dust gets on the lense and when you are watching a dark background you'll see transparent white spots or streaks all over the screen. I tried 3 sets and all of them had the same issue. I'm also starting to experience a weird problem when I first turn on the TV. Basically 1/4 of the screen looks like you are viewing an old LCD screen at too sharp of an angle. It takes about 10 minutes to go away and is consistent every time I turn on the set. My experience is that the Cineos produces a slightly more well rounded picture than the Sammy (which I'm getting instead)but its not worth the hassle at this point since its so difficult to find a non-flawed set.

Chris72
Unregistered guest
I am running my PS2 through the component input 1, it works great except the sound does not go from the audio out from the TV into the receiver. I know the audio out works with video 1 and 2 because I have the DVD running through there for now. Can someone please explain to me how to get the sound to work?

I know an option is to just run a optical from my PS2 to the receiver, but I think the sound should work from my samsung to my receiver when component 1 is selected.

Thanks

Culpeppa
Unregistered guest
Chris72,
I believe the Sammy monitor out is only associated with Video1,2,or 3. Not component, or DVI.

Chris72
Unregistered guest
Hmm... Thanks, Culpeppa. That makes a heck of a lot of sense, Samsung.

Unregistered guest
Hi all, I have a Philips LCoS Cineos 55inch for almost a month. I thought I could live without HD for a while and rely on a DVD for my HD needs. Once I found that DVDs are only 480p, which is ok but not good enough for the price I paid for the set.

I looked at the HD options of cable and satellite and decided on VOOM since it has 33 HD channels available currently and no contracts. I rented the equipment for $10 a month.

I have not seen the so called snowballs or rainbows. Unless they jump out at me I am not going to try to look. But last night I was watching the Two Towers in HD and I noticed that in scenes where there is a lot of quick action that the characters became blury (like it didn't have enough time to project the image). I have not notice this in sports broadcasts (soccer and motorcross) but VOOM does not have ESPN HD yet and NFL HD is won't have games for until next fall, so I don't know how hockey or Football will look.

I believe this is the technology and not a flaw. I am not sure what I am going to do. It might be past 30 days for a return,but I did buy an extended warrantee just in case.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Username: Toastermax

I am hoping that the next generation LCOS set from phillips will address thisissue. Also i am hoping for the triple chip lcos set from them.

nathonrose
Unregistered guest
About the blurriness in the TT HD. That could be your HD provider/compression, could be the actual film, either just blurry on the film from too much action, or a stylistic thing to convey more action...like tracers behind moving objects in line art...it's done in movies, things may be intentionally blurred to give the sensation of motion, etc. Don't always jump to the conclusion that it is a problem with the TV. If you want to limit it to the TV, you'd have to do a side by side with multiple TVs/projection systems, and get other forms of HD compression/sending of the data. There is so much going into any given thing on the screen, you can't just fault the set.

Ryan S.
Unregistered guest
I totally agree with Dave V. I had "snowballs" on two different 55" Cineos sets. I returned it and got the 60" Sony with the 3 LCD screens on top of each other. It has an excellent picture with a proven technology.

Username: Roscoe

My turn to jump in.

I have the Sammy HLN 56" and HD931 DVD player. I bought the DVD player for two reasons: the 720p and the DVI. Well, DVDs are only recorded at 480p and my soon-to-purchase HDTV Sat receiver will take the only TV DVI connection (since it is true HD it makes more sense to prioritize the DVI to the reciever). When DVI is not used, the 931 component is only capable of 480p. So, the 931 was a waste of money. It goes back tomorrow.

That said, I was not impressed with the DVI picture. It was not noticeably better than the component driven picture. To be honest, I also did not notice that much of a difference from 480i to 480p either. (Maybe my settings are off...can anyone recommend what they think are the optimum settings?).

Someone above suggested that the cheap Samsung-provided DVI cable could be the reason. Don't understand how...digital signals are inherently pretty immune to noise (analog are not, hence the need for quality cables).

Comments?

Roscoe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Ross,
Take a look around this forum. Most say the 931 does not provide a better picture with DVI than component cables. I thought about getting it for my 507w, but decided against it.
-E

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=351020&perpage=20&page number=1

very interesting read.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Sorry guys - I've been so busy these past few weeks I had no time to participate. Thanks to Culpeppa for answering Brazil's questions for me.

Eric K - on your question of whether to have the set top box or TV do the upconvert, that is probably a case of trying it both ways to see what is best for your particular equipment. This is probably a case where mileage may vary! In my case, I got best results letting my Sony box do the job, but there wasn't much in it as the Sammy has a good scalar too.

Chris2 - Culpeppa is right - and it's not Samsung's fault. Component and DVI are not audio interconnects - Samsung are correctly following industry standards.

Eric K and Ross - the difference between component and DVI can be very subtle in some cases (and very noticeable in others), but it's there. Again, everyone's experience may vary because of different hardware used, differing program sources and differences in cable quality used. In every case, however, feeding digital all the way without analog conversion has got to make a difference to some degree.

I think you would have to spend some time watching a variety of programming in both modes to really make a judgement call.

Unregistered guest
Have had the Cineos 55" for 2 months now and so far so good! I read the concerns, experiences, and opinions and grimace at what "may" go wrong. But, had a chance to pick it up for $3200 and no tax and went for it... the wife and I still Oooh and Ahhh at the clarity and depth of color when watching the likes of CSI in High Def. Am using a 3 year old RCA DTC100 receiver and only imagine what it may look like with a newer receiver with a DVI output???????
In any case, just wanted to add that I'm glad I bought this set (for now). Will post problems should they develop... happy for now and looking forward to watching Cardinal baseball on the big screen, even if not in high def, I must add that this Pixel Plus thing is pretty remarkable!

patHDinSD
Unregistered guest
HankE
I have the Cineos 55 inch for over a month (see previous post) I think the progressive scan looks much better than the Pixel Plus thing on regular non digital cable. With DVI, AV4 and 5 inputs, pixel plus is not available. So are you sure you are getting pixel plus from your outputs?

I too grimace at the snow ball and rainbow issue. I just noticed the rainbow effect for the first time this week. I was watching Panic Room in HD. This picture is pretty dark and I could see it really well, so I started looking for it in the rest of the channels.

I could barely see it on some HD channels. I have to look hard at dark areas (mountains and water )to see it.

On Standard Definition (SD) channels and on the X-Box I don't notice it at all. I will check closer this weekend.

I addition have read that not all HD is created equal. If HD conversion does not start from 35 mm then it's not really HD. The Panic Room looked terrible so I wondering (or hoping maybe?) if it was a combination of a bad HD conversion than this rainbow thing.

I was going to wait until next year to buy, but my wife got hooked when were casaully looking a HD TV's and said to go for it (which is not a good to say to any man looking at electronics).

HD is great once you get it you can't go back. If I had it over, I would wait until the next year to buy a new TV as I planned, but then again Next year there will be higher hopes for clearer pictures the following year etc...

I am Still in doubt that the LCOS will be around $1000 in a year due to Intel jumping in especially after reading http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=351020&perpage=20&page number=1

PS I bought a 5 Year plan for the LCOS, so I am hoping it craps out in 2-3 years so I will get the latest technology available.

HankE
Unregistered guest
PatH,
I use AV1 (S-Video) and toggle off the HD output from the DTC100. As I've seen so often mentioned, the signal source determines a lot of what you end up seeing in non-HD. Experiment.
Boy, I'm just not going to go looking for this "rainbow" thing.
You're right -- no going back -- HD is awesome and I'm 55 and want to enjoy now so I'm happy with my decision.

PLEASE HELP - I just bought the Sony SAT-HD300 and can't get the DVI to connect. TV (Samsung DLP HLN567W) says "searching for signal". I had to use the component cables to see the picture.

ideas?

Disregard...The info on the switch on the back was well hidden <grin>

However, I just discovered something I don't like. If I use the DVI connector, I cannnot watch anything at an aspect ratio other than wide screen. Since most of what I will watch (for now) will be at 4:3 ratio, use of the DVI stretches out the picture. YUCK. In fact, today I am watching ESPNHD and to my surprise the picture is 4:3, not 16:9. The only way to watch it in normal view is to reach back and flip the switch to component.

Is there something on my Samsung TV that I have missed?

Roscoe

Floyd wrote:
------------------------
Changing screen size...
You can only select wide, Normal (4:3) screen size in the Component mode
Screen size can't be changed in the DVI and PC (1080i) mode
You can select Wide (TV), Wide (PC) screen size in the DVI and PC (720p) mode.
You can select Wide (TV), Wide (PC). Normal (4:3) screen size in the DVI and PC (480p) Mode.
------------------------

So how do I change the modes to get to the different scaling options? THAT ain't in the manual...

Roscoe

This is somewhat of a repost but to summarize my results when combining my Samsung DLP HLN567W to my Sony SATHD300. Note this is my first experience at HD programming so I may be confused or have had too high of expectations but...

DVI ain't the panacea everyone claims it is. I have been unable figure out how or if I can change the TV picture from 16:9 to 4:3 when in DVI mode (the vast majority of OTA programming and most DVD "extras" are in 4:3). After playing for most of the day, I have decided to leave the SAT in component mode unless I plan on watching a widescreen HD broadcast uninterrupted (I tend to be a channel flipper).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Ross... Slow down son! I know you are excited and it appears you have some nice equipment! Back in a moment!

Post Number: 7
I would say frustrated rather than excited...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I had some of the same issues you are referring to Ross when I first set up my system! I am sure others have to! You come home with your new high dollar equipment , plug it in, and expect everything to fire up with extrodinary results.. RIGHT! And why shouldn't you? You paid enough for it!!! Well, it's just not that simple! There is some high tech Sh** here and it is important to hook it up accurately and understand how it works! I can't stress enough to read the manual! I know that's a pain in the a** and most people don't like to do that but it makes all the difference in the world with some of this stuff!! You need more time! Play around with it for a week or two before making any harsh desicions. If you look back at some of my posts to Lawrence, I was screaming for help. I thought the Hughes HTL-HD was a screwed up receiver! BUT, as it turns out... It is a great HD receiver! The cheap Terk - 44 HD antenna I bought and hooked up is the only reason I have issues with my reception! Of course this is the OTA reception! Great ease of hook up w/ the TERK-44, but terrible reception in most formats w/ my HD hook-ups! The only time the noise raster or whatever is an issue is when I am viewing OTA broadcasts! The Hughes HTL-HD has performed incredibly well in all formats otherwise!!

Are you feeding with Directv or Cable? Once you have all your connections right, power down a couple times and re-address your issues! You have been watching 4:3 for a long time! You are now in the wide HD World! It may look a little different at first but really you should be viewing incredible pictures! The Samsung remote has a few "Ratio " selections to help with the format! See my earlier post! Youre DirecTV or Cable remote should help with this as well! Click the "Ratio Button"! Remember This.. Only your DVD Player can be plugged into the Component 1 jacks! Make sure you plug the DVI Cable from your HD Receiver into the DVI Jack of your Sammy and not the PC Jack! Yank the component cables, and change the video input with your remote to DVI and Holler back at me!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Inotherwords, you have Component 1, 2 & 3! and DVI. The DVI cable has to hook up from your SAT-HD300 to your DVI on your Sammy! Your DVD Player has to go to Component 1! Hook up all Opticals! If this is running through a receiver you have to have it on and select the appropriate output/input! (DVD) Go to Menu... Select Com ponent 1 for DVD or Comnponent 2 or 3 (where ever you hooked up your other source and you should be jamming!!! Let me know!

OUT!!!

Post Number: 8
Floyd -- You were partly right (Not about reading the manuals or making the right connections...I did). What is needed is playing with all the options, and most important...TAKE NOTES! The problem is the myriad of combinations of settings that are subtly different. Identify what mode the system is in (both the TV and the DBS box), what type of signal you are getting (SD/HD), and what options become available and their response.

Doing this I found that the Sony SATHD300 AUTO DVI setting does not work well. It works OK on HD channels (whether the signal is true HD or not as in the case of ESPN HD showing non-HD material). However, when viewing a 4:3 image on an SD channel, any attempts to reduce the image from 16:9 resulted in the message "Aspect ratio of current program cannot be changed".

Setting the SATHD300 to 720P (the native format of the Samsung DLP) provides what I need in terms of aspect control.

480P did some other funky stuff but I didn't look that close yet since I finally found a combination that appears to work.

On a side note, upon activation of the DirecTV HD package (as required) I found I had no signal on HDNet. Digging showed LNB "B" has zero signal strength. Since "A" and "C" are working fine, DirecTV suspects a bad LNB rather than a dish pointing error. I am climbing on the roof later to see if I have a loose connection...

You're right...patience and practice.

Post Number: 9
Question...why does the DVD player HAVE to go to component 1 on the TV? I have that, but it was more luck than foresight.

Roscoe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Ross,
Component 1 is the 480i/480p input. Your DVD player will output 480p if it is progressive scan capable (and set to progressive scan), or 480i. If the player does progressive scanning then you can connect it to any of the inputs. I have my PS2 connected to 1, HD cable box to 2, and DVD to 3, on my 507w.
-E

Cam T
Unregistered guest
Holy cow! I saw the Cineos 55" from Phillips at the Bose store, and thought it was nice..then I checked out the Sammy 61" DLP...WooooT! Me likey! They have it locally here in Minneapolis for $4,100 with 15 months free interest...sounds like a deal to me...any other places online I should check prices...I NEED one of these things!

Username: Jcohen3139

I am new to this board, and it seems like the best place to get info regarding the 55" Cineos Lcos set I purchased last month. Overall, I am pleased by the quality, but I am noticing the "snowball" effect mentioned in this board. I tend to see it only against a black background and always in the exact same spot. Several posters have mentioned that they were able to return the sets and move on. I bought the set at PC Richards, a large NY-NJ chain, who has a policy of no returns on large screen sets.....Would best bet be to contact Phillips directly or go thru store to inquire about return/exchange? Adding to the issue is fact that we had a custom wall unit built to fit exact dimensions of TV. Only other set that seems to have exact dimension is the Samsung 61" DLP, which would have to go thru the store, not Phillips. Would appreciate any advice.

Unregistered guest
I have been priceing the Samsung HLN507W for about a year. It is now at a price I can aford. I'm trying to sell my wife on the 50" 507W. We went to Circut City to see the tv in action. The HDTV picture was great but when we asked them to put it on a non HDTV station the picture was not very good. I have direct TV at this point. Have any of you seen the non HDTV pictrue on this set thru directtv? How is it?

Do you think I'm making the right choice in buying the 507W?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Planger1,
I bought the 507w after about 9 months of deliberation. I am very happy with the picture. I have comcast cable and regular channels are ok, some worse than others. THe HD picture is excellent. When the sound is very low I can hear the fan, but it doesn't bother me. I would definitely try to get one of the 507w-1 with the updated remote and inputs.
-E

PatHDSD
Unregistered guest
HankE & all,

I have been looking at this rainbow effect issue on the Cineos 55" and the DLP vs Cineos.
Rainbow Issue.
Since I have 32 channels of HDTV with VOOM. This effect is not present in all the darker scenes in HD.

Why is it that on some so called HD broadcasts I am I seeing this rainbow effect and others I can walk up to the screen and see no evidence?

I was bothered by this the first time I saw this in "Panic Room" dark scenes. I am now convinced that level of severity of this effect has a lot to do with the quality of the HD broadcast/slash conversion from oringal.

I have search HD broadcasts and found that I can not see the rainbow effect in most of dark scenes that I could find. It may be there still but I could not see it. For instance, in Tom Sawyer on a VOOM channel the kids walk into a low lighted dark shed. I could not see the rainbow effect from 8 feet away nor 1 foot away. I will keep you posted.

Could this be an effect that is more prevelant in 480P, 720P and less in 1080i? With the DVI input the Cineos does not indicate the broadcast resolution so I can not tell if the HBO/MAX "Panic Room" was broadcasted in 720P or 1080i.

One of the main reasons I bought the 55" Cineos was a popular science article http://www.popsci.com/popsci/computers/article/0%2C12543%2C489749%2C00.html and my father in law who researched the Phillips and DLP picture quality. The higher resolution of the LCOS may enable us to see the flaws in lower resolution HD broadcasts in the form of the rainbow effect.

DLP 50" inch vs LCOS 55" vs DLP 60"
I was at Good Guys. They had a Samsung 50" DLP beside 60" DLP. The 50" inch looked much better then the 60". The 60" inch definitely had some stability problems with picture. I never have seen anything like it with the Cineos.

The picture quality looked great with the 50" HDTV's I looked at. I don't think you can go wrong with a Sammy 50" or a Sony LCD XBR 50".

I believe a better topic would be 55" Phillips vs a 60" Samsung DLP and other TVs similar size HDTVs, reasoning is the bigger the screen the more the flaws of the TV and the broadcast will jump out at you.

Bottom line
Right now (I am with Hank) I a happy with the 55" Phillips Cineos. No snowballs yet, with rainbow effect that seems to be with lower resolution broadcasts (I will keep you posted, on the broadcast resolution issue) It has a better picture than a the 60 inch DLP and cost $1500 less that a 60 inch Sony XBR LCD.

Oh by the way I was watching FOX OTA American Idol last night Standard Def broadcast and it looked awesome for Standard Def. What the heck are they doing with thier signal? It was way above what I can get out of Cable Standard def. TV and PBS OTA SD.

I highly recomend VOOM if you and your TV are starving for HDTV. Dishnet, Direct TV, Cable, just don't have a enough HD channels.

I also was watching hockey highlights on the VOOM HD news channel and it was unbelievable. It was like being at the rink front row except over the ice. I can't wait for Football season. VOOM NFL HD - game of the week. I hope they pick up ESPN by then.

any idea when the new Cineos set will be available? I have already decided on LCOS technology but not sure if i am going to get the current set or wait for the new one.

Unregistered guest
Thanks to everyone - great help.
After looking at my choices I have decided to get the Samsung 507W1 along with their 931 DVD player.
I live in the San DIego area - provider Cox Cable who has
a promotion going for free hookup along with user training.
They transmit in 108i. I looked at a drawing of their HD box and it does not have a DVI connector.
I am purchasing the TV at Good Guys who offer delivery and all component hookup for $50.00. I guess my question is - do I schedule Cox Cable first and have their HD box ready for the people from Good Guys to do the hook up? I am assuming that Good Guys would know their TV's and hook ups better than the cable company. Meaning the Cox Cable techs would need to know the requirements of all brands of TV's. Which I find doubtfull.
I'm looking for opinions.
Thanks

PatHDSD
Unregistered guest
Jack W,

Do more research. Check out forums.

Check out how many channels cox has to offer in HD. Also check out the San Diego forum on HD and Cox. If you really want HDTV now, I believe you will change your mind. The same goes for direct TV and Dish network.

If you are looking for the most HD channels your dollar VOOM is tops in my opinion. Free install. 10 rental equipment.

For locals OTA and satellite there may be an issue with obsticles, but my backyard is Cowls Mountain I get everything but CBS (8) and ABC (10) with the cheapo OTA antenna Voom provides. I

Voom will provide a 60 dollar voucher if you require an better antenna when you are located in a tough spot.

If you have more then one tv (which you don't want HD with) then cox may be a better choice.

Unregistered guest
This is a follow up to my posting on 3/16/04. I bought a Samsung 5065W and love it. The non-HD picture from direct TV is great. I played a DVD and it blew us away. By the way, no fan noise and no rainbow effect.

I can't wait to get hooked up to HDTV. I'm still researching that. I understand Direct TV has very few HD channels and comcast cable offers many. I wanted to get HD TIVO but it will be Direct TV.

Jack W.
Unregistered guest
PatHDSD

I agree that Cox has limited HD programming but, as you stated "if you've got more than one TV ...."

I don't know what you meant about checking other forums. Was this directed as to my choice of the Samsung?

I have done some more research and I'm now in a quandry as to waiting for Samsung's HLP 2004 models with the newer TI chips:
HD2+ - (720p) Resolution 1280x720 - Contrast ratio 2500:1
xHD3 - (1080p) Resolution 1920x1080 - Contrast ratio 5000:1
see specs at: http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html

I know this is procrastinating but I don't want to regret that I didn't wait just a wee bit longer.

Mike H.
Unregistered guest
Just got the Cineos 55" from Fry's Electronics today. Pluged it in and nothing. Just the orange light in the lower right corner goes on for about a minute then it goes out. Nothing else happens. Is this a DOA situation. I really like it when I see the 55" playing in the store. Will call Fry's tomorrow about exchange/return. Am I alone here regarding this problem?

Anonymous

Hello everyone,

I have been following this forum since the beginning and have learned a lot from you. I too am looking to buy a big screen and do not want to spend more than $5K. I have seen a lot of sets (DLP, HT Poly and LCOS) at different stores and have read as much information as I could find. From what I can see LCOS looks like the way to go.

After doing a Google search on LCOS, I found different sites pre-selling a 62" Cineos.
http://www.1-877camcorder.com/62pl9774.html
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Philips_62PL9774
I have 2 questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

1. About how much will this sell for?
2. What month will it be available?

oh my, that is the set i have been waiting for, the 2004 version of the cineos. Its funny though, Philips does not even mention it on their website.

PatHDSD
Unregistered guest
Jack W

I have not checked this post for a while. I have been checking HD content forums and trying to get smarter on HD.

On checking other forums I meant check the San Diego Cox forum and look at the HD beefs and complaints. Check out the post for picture quality issues on local channels. I am guessing that the main reason you are getting a big screeen is for HDTV, you may not be happy at what you are going to get with Cox. Also check out http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=24

On Phillips LCOS update
- No snowball issues, there have been 2 times when the SAT receiver caused white dots on the screen and I had to restart the Satellite reciever and they went away.

- Rainbows - the only time I have really seen rainbows is from light reflections from dirty camera lenses or lense reflections in Dark scenes with multiple light sources (Like Basic, Eyes wide Shut, etc...) this is not an Phillips LCOS problem that I have seen. Also, in the past I have mistaken the signal compression with the rainbow effect.

- All picture quality issues are usually from the source.

Bottomline I am happy with the Phillips LCOS.

Username: Petethehanger

I finally got some response from Philips:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding our Cineos Lcos TV.

We apologize for any inconvenience to you.

In respect to you query, we will be releasing our 44-model Cineos Lcos system they are expected to be on consumer market June 2004. Our resources doe not stipulated that we have any upgrade added to them as we have corrected the initial problem unit will have the same features as the 55 inch set which is currently available.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us at our web site which is www.philipsusa.com

Sincerely,

Nakara Watkins
Philips USA Customer Suppo

Anonymous

The 55" Cineos is in production 55PL9774/37.
Pricing should be $3.500 or a bit more mean street plus s/h.
New LCOS engine and dust cover[snowballs].
Color problems are long solved. A reported early miscommunication of software engineers in one country and hardware engineers in another.....
Stay tuned.

Post Number: 8
any larger sizes of the cineos??

Username: Jcohen3139

The model I have is the 55PL9773. I purchased it the end of January. Is this the same as the newest generation you mention?

Is there a direct number for me to get in touch with someone at Phillips to ask?

Anonymous

philips ends their model # a lot of time with a year designation. Note old=3 new=4 but more than that, i gather there is a 4/17 or something like that which has been out for a while.
this is the new new one.
probably more to come as they perfect it.
seems like they are pretty up to date, with fixing the snowballs [dust] so quickly.

PG
Unregistered guest
I have been waiting for a fix to the Philips Cineos 55PL977S regarding the purple hue problem, where blue colors are purplish. When I address the sales people regarding a fix, the quote me as saying the Philips technician tried to fix the problems, but they haven't resolved it yet. Some sales people say, "few sets have the problem." Has anyone heard anything about this problem being corrected? Or, do you simply have to wait until the new models appear?

PatHDSD
Unregistered guest
PG on the purple color issue

I have never seen the problem on mine, how the heck can you tell. Is it obvious?

Speaking of colors. I was in Good guys the other day both Samsung 60 and 50 inch DLPs colors were really bad compared to the other HD sets broadcasting the same channel from HDNet. Bike racing. The grass on the in field was not the color grass should be. It was flouresent like. Maybe someone was messing with the color settings on both TVs, I don't know?

Is this a problem with the Samsung DLPs?
Those of you that went with the Samsung DLP are you happy with the color?

PatHDSD
Unregistered guest
Price drop, Good Guys has the Phillips LCOS for $2999.

PG
Unregistered guest
PatHDSD,
Yes, it is obvious. You can tell by looking at anything blue, i.e., blue jeans look like purple jeans, sky purplish, water purplish, etc. When did you buy yours?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
PatHDSD - I've had my Samsung 61" DLP since Oct 2003 and I am very happy with the color (and the bright, sharp picture). On HD, the colors are completely natural. With Std Def, the color is also excellent. Some channels that output older material have muddy or more garish colors but that's a function of the feed, not the set. DVD's are perfect.

As far as calibration goes, I got the Video Essentials DVD and tweaked it a little to finely tune the black level but made no changes to color. These sets are pretty good right out of the box.

I'm sure the sets you see in most stores have been fiddled with and have a poor feed to begin with, which does not do them justice.

I heartily recommend it.

jondough
Unregistered guest
the Cineos will be out with another new light engine that also will have a sealed light path in the next couple of weeks. Reportedly all existing problems fixed. There will be a running change early in the fall with another upgraded light engine and a much improved product with the 'O5 models.

davedave
Unregistered guest
When will the '05 models be released?

Post Number: 9
that is what i want to know, its half way thru 04 and the o4 has not been released.

rah50
Unregistered guest
I just saw a Gen3 Cineos next to a Sammy HD2 dlp. It blew away the dlp. I wonder how it will fair against the HD2+ ?

Thoughts?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
A while back on this thread, I reported that my Sony SAT-HD300 had an annoying problem with the audio cutting out briefly when you chose The Guide. I noticed recently that the problem had mysteriously fixed itself, so I checked the software revision - and sure enough, DirecTV had uploaded a new version a couple of weeks ago. The problem is now fixed.

I'm sure the software rev also had some other updates, but I have not noticed any other changes. Has anyone with a Sony SAT-HD300 got any further input on this latest software rev?

PatHDSD
Unregistered guest
PG
I bought it in late Feb04. I have not seen a purple hue issue.

Username: Peter6

What is the difference between the Single Panel LCOS Technology and the LCOS Generation 3 Engine?

Unregistered guest
Just started shopping for a Samsung DLP (56"+), I don't know if it is me but I noticed I would develop a slight headache while watching these sets. Anybody else experience this?

Post Number: 10
i just bought a 2nd gen cineos for the unheard of price of $2018. If somehting goes wrong then i am covered by my warranty or my extended warranty.

PG
Unregistered guest
Peter 6, I also was wondering what is the difference in the LCOS technologies. I am surprise that Philips does not discuss fully the distinction between the two. I believe, I saw one today at GG, yet it was the 44" model and Philips does not list a 44" with the Generation 3 Engine on its web site. I have been waiting for the new chip to emerge as the HD2+ models still do not work out the black contrast areas correctly, especially not like the LCOS chip.

Finally, does anyone know anything about the new JVC models having the LCOS technology?

caveman337
Unregistered guest
I've been waiting around for the 55PL9774 55 inch Cineos to come in stock on some of these internet sites. http://www.sparco.com/cgi-bin/wfind2?spn=DH55PL977437 So far this is the lowest price I've seen it at $3017. I'd order one but every site has it on back order. The only store around me that sells it is Bose but they want $4000 for it. I've been watching and waiting for 2 months now and no change. I don't understand why Philips doesn't put this TV in more retail stores. My friend bought a 62 inch HLN series Sammy DLP. I almost bought an HLP DLP until I saw the 44 inch LCOS Cineos sitting in Bose. I think the Sammy DLP has a great picture but i think the Philips LCoS has an even better picture with a more natural look. I've noticed sort of an artifial clay like quality to images, especially people, on the Sammy DLPs.
Than again we could all wait around until the end of the year and see if anyone comes out with a nice Intel LCoS based TV. But who wants to wait that long!!!

caveman337
Unregistered guest
I've been waiting around for the 55PL9774 55 inch Cineos to come in stock on some of these internet sites. http://www.sparco.com/cgi-bin/wfind2?spn=DH55PL977437 So far this is the lowest price I've seen it at $3017. I'd order one but every site has it on back order. The only store around me that sells it is Bose but they want $4000 for it. I've been watching and waiting for 2 months now and no change. I don't understand why Philips doesn't put this TV in more retail stores. My friend bought a 62 inch HLN series Sammy DLP. I almost bought an HLP DLP until I saw the 44 inch LCOS Cineos sitting in Bose. I think the Sammy DLP has a great picture but i think the Philips LCoS has an even better picture with a more natural look. I've noticed sort of an artificial clay like quality to images, especially people, on the Sammy DLPs.
Then again we could all wait around until the end of the year and see if anyone comes out with a nice Intel LCoS based TV. But who wants to wait that long!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us