HDTV Cable box and what it does

Username: Krustangel

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 1
Bare with me, but I have a series of questions related to HDTV and this is my first time posting, so be all means I will take any criticism given.

1. Recently purchased the 50 inch Sony XBR1 and have gotten my first taste of HDTV. This TV has 1080i capabilities and I realize that not all HD channels output this level. With that all said I just switched from a Radio Shack HDTV tuner to the comcast motorola HDTV cable box. .. my question is- have I lost the ability to watch some channels in 1080 because my box is limited to 720? Is there a way to change this? Or should I switch back?

2. The component video cables given to my by comcast for my box seem adequate. . . . but now that I have dropped all this money for a TV do I need to go out and upgrade to some MONSTER component video cables? or are these enough?

3. Last one, and this semi-related- during my orginal hook up phase with the new HDTV (HDTV tuner and analog cable to the back of tv (no Box)) I received all my local channels in HD and the normal cable channels, the only change and I dont know if it is the TV or the new house we moved in but I get channels like 92.3 and 92.4 etc. these channels appear to be HBO and show max. . . they are not on all the time and sometimes they appear to be fastforwarding. I have no control of the video, other than if it is on I watch it (last night I watched Syrania). My question is can anyone explain what is going on?

Thank you so much for your time and energy in this.

Best,
k

Bronze Member
Username: 1movibuff

Post Number: 32
I can help with part of your question. Here are a couple of links for the manual of the HD box I believe you have. One is simple, the other is the complete users manual. Hopefully one of them will cover your question about why you have lost the ability to watch some channels in 1080. I am sending you the link because I feel it is important to know how the use the HD box to get the most enjoyment from your new HDTV. As to your second question, it is a matter of opinion. The various techs I have spoken to who have installed literally hundreds of HD boxes say they see no difference. There are excellent articles on this website about the various cables under the "article" tab. I highly recommend you review them before you spend any money on expensive monster cables that you may not be happy with and they will answer your question much better than I can. Enjoy your new HDTV & cable!

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/DCT5100/downloads/DCT5100_Insta llation_Manual.pdf

Username: Krustangel

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 2
MB-

Thank you so much for your help. The situation is much better.

New question- for overall video quality is better to stick with the component cables or scrap them for a DVI to HDMI cable?

thanks again

Bronze Member
Username: 1movibuff

Post Number: 33
I have provided a few links that will provide you with the answers better than I can. As I said, the techs I work with & have talked to have installed the same HD box you have on hundreds of HDTV's and one tech in particular who is very experienced said he has not noticed any difference. Again, it may be a matter of opinion. Read through the articles carefully because there are some drawbacks to HDMI. The last link may seem redundent, but it has opinions from different "experts". I hope these will give you the information you need.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/114333.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/122868.html

http://tech.yahoo.com/qa/20060724055740AAbm6v0

Username: Cyterio

Post Number: 6
Kris, most Comcast boxs can be accessed by turning off the cable box then hitting the menu button, this should bring up the service menu.

One other point I would like to run by you. I am not sure what kind of TV yours is but I believe its native resolution is 720P. There are only a few tvs on the market that display a native resolution of 1080I or 1080P. Now the tvs can be misleading because they will accept all signals up to 1080I or 1080P but downscale them to the native resolution of 720P.

So I would probably just leave the comcast box at 720P, this way your tv is receiving the same signal it scales to, thus making the tv work less.

Hope this helps!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us