New to HDTV...

Username: Jhubjhub

Post Number: 1
Ok, I'll readily admit I am an HDTV neophyte so I'm in desparate need of help from you wisened veterans.

I recently bought a Vizio L37 HDTV and I upgraded to Comcast's HDTV box. The box of course has the option to use DVI and the TV is setup for this as well, but right now the box is connected to the TV via a RF cable. Comcast assured us that there was no need to have a DVI cable to be able to use our HDTV to the fullest, but I wasn't sure so I thought I'd bring my quandary to the boards for help.

So, what do you all think? Will a RF cable be sufficient or do I really need to get a DVI cable to enjoy the HD channels fully?

Thanks for your help!

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 48
I can't believe the Comcast installer is that stupid, or it's the new company line to avoid supplying a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the box to the set. At a minimum, you need the three wire (coax) "component" cables to get analog HD to your TV. The best connection would be a cable that converts the DVI on the Comcast box to HDMI input for your Vizio. Since DVI does not pass audio signals, you will still have to use the red/white RCA cables to provide audio along with the HDMI plug (your Vizio should have a pair of RCA inputs along side the HDMI input exactly for this type of signal conversion).

If you attempt to buy a DVI to HDMI cable locally you will get screwed royally! I purchased one from www.monoprice.com for less than $18 and it worked great.

Username: Jhubjhub

Post Number: 2
Well, I found the problem. The Comcast installer didn't bother to hook up the component cables, choosing rather to set them over on a counter and leave them without mentioning he'd done so.

Luckily I found them and hooked them up so everything is fine now. It is kind of annoying to have the "installer" choose not to install the cable, though.

Thanks for the advice, Martin. I might still look into DVI to HDMI cable, but at least the HD portion of my service is working now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us