Clear to Air HDTV Question

Username: Smittyb

Post Number: 1
I am a newbie to HDTV. I recently replaced my old 21 inch Sony Trinitron with a Sony KDLV32XBR1. This TV does have a HD tuner built in and a cable card slot. The picture and sound are both outstanding! I currently have cablevision basic which has 79 analog channels. No digital box and no cable card. When my new sony was programming the stations, it found an additional 21 or 22 digital stations. Some of these are in HD. ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, UPN, PBS and the WB. I get these stations without a cable card and after reading several posts on this subject I believe that you call them "clear to air". They have a decimal in thier numbers and all of them are above the last analog channel #79. My question is this. One of these stations, NBC in HD is now showing a "not authorized" in the program designation. Has this NBC HD station been moved to a different digital number or is it a temporary transmission problem? Any help would be appreciated. Also, is there any publication or web listing that provides the general public with the digital codes for these digital station?

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 42
sounds like a cable company problem with receiving and passing on the NBC signal.

an FCC publication that shows current and future channel designations is

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-05-1743A2.pdf

The new digital Television (DTV) can multicast several sub-channels in their frequency allotment. the .1, .2, etc are the sub-channels. In my area, our local PBS station uses 6 subchannels to broadcast all their programming. You cable provider has picked one of the sub-channels to re-transmit on the cable. To get all the "over-the-air" (OTA) signals will require a antenna, probably mounted outside. You remember the good ol'days...when every house sprouted a huge TV antenna on the roof. Well, you may not need a huge antenna anymore, but a simple external TV antenna, maybe mounted on a rotor, will probably allow you to receive all the DTV signals broadcast locally without the need of cable or satellite.

www.antennaweb.org will give you the info on local broadcasters.

Username: Smittyb

Post Number: 2
Martin, Thanks for your input on my "over-the-air" question. As it turns out it was a cable problem and the HD NBC broadcast is back on line. I do remember the good ol' days with having to go up on our roof where our antenna was and my Dad yelled from down below "Turn the antenna to the right!" Yes sir, those were the days. Thanks again.

Username: Blackolds98

Post Number: 2
I am also new to the HD game...currently have a 51" Sony projection and HDTV receiver thru DirecTv. I recently purchased an off air antenna (Radioshack amplified Indoor VHF/UHF/HDTV #15-1892) and don't get jack. I don't know if I have it hooked up right, but it's pretty brainless. Do I have to go to a special channel through my HD receiver? Do I hook the antennas "TV" to the VHF/UHF connection on my tv, or the AUX? Are there any special settings??? Please help this frusterated newbie!!!Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us