Any "negatives" to a HD CRT ???

Username: Kevinp

Post Number: 5
Aftr doing research any seeing opinions ranging all over the place, I don't have much confidence in ANY of the new technologies, or so it would seem.

I always prefered the picture on my CRT over the years to other TV's that came out. So my question is:

is there any "negatives" to a HD CRT? Bulkyness and weight are not issues, as I'm not looking for anything above 45" (I'l probably end up with something in the 30"s).

But there isn't any "lag" or "sound delay" like the DLP's, correct?

Again, the main purpose of this TV will be for Xbox 360 video games in 720p or 1080i mode & DVD's.

Komah
Unregistered guest
Sounds like a question for SuperBong! I'm sure he has a suggestion. I need one about 46". Help us out TB!...Thanks

fx
Unregistered guest
Well pretty much all CRT HDTV's manufactured today only accept and display in 1080i. I don't have an X-Box so is that a downside for your 720P games?

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 67
The only downside to a crt is the size and weight. burn-in is possible, but not likely unless you left a static image on the screen for 4-5 hours. Since CRT's do not have to scale to a native resolution, they will simply diplay what is inputed, most are capable up to 1080i.

I used to be turned off by the darker screens and narrow vieing range, but certain new models have improved dramatically.

My local BB has all the CRT's on a top shelf that is about 6-7 ft high. They put the DLP's about 1 ft off the floor so the screen is at eye level. I believe they do this on purpose to help sell more of the newer technology. When you look at the crts that high, they look like crap compared to the DLP/LCD RP. I was at RC Willeys last weekend, and for the first time, I was able to compare a microdisplay side by side with a Mitsubishi and Hitachi CRT. I must say that I was shocked by the comparable picture quality. And for much less money.

Bottom line, if you have the room, I really don't think you can go wrong with a high quality CRT. I still like the LCoS JVC set's PQ a little more, but for the difference in price, I am really beginning to question whether it's worth it or not. Plus, the black levels on CRT's are still superior, even to DLP's.

Bronze Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 11
Again, the main purpose of this TV will be for Xbox 360 video games

Kevin,

The biggest downside is burn-in on games and stuff that display static images. Set all your game stat bars to see-thru, instead of soild and try to reduce the brightness of both them... and the overall brightness (contrast) of the set.

Most CRT sets (and I assume newer types as well) come from the factory with the contrast/brightness cranked up WAY too high to make the set look "bright" while on the showroom floor... They come set at like 90% on the contrast fror exmaple... I keep mine around 30 for normal TV. and maybe turn it up to 35, 40 for DV movies that have dark sections.

Beside reducing burn-in, reducing the contrast will make the tubes run cooler/last longer.

One last thing.. I just got a JVC HD-61z575 (Floor model).. waiting for a "blub".... Doesn't impress me TOOO much to see posts from people saying their blub has burned out after only a few months. (In my case I believe the blub burned out because more than likely the retailer at the end of the day turns off power to ALL TV sets via a main breaker which caused the blub to "cook".

Without that cooling fan running, I can see how that would happen. Last time I checked (about 2 years ago) CRT sets don't use cooling fans, the CRTS being surrounded by a liquid /gel collar.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
PS: as HD Fanatic points out above :"black levels on CRT's are still superior".

And they're cheaper to boot.

And they last a LONG time (asumming you don't run them at 90%-100% contrast.

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 68
The only cooling fan that an HD CRT uses is for the high definition signal processor. It's a small fan and you can't even hear it run, similar to the cooling fan for the processor on your PC. When the set is turned off, it doesn't stay running, so it's not as critical as the cooling fan is for bulbs.

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 69
Kevin,

If you are looking for something in the 30" range, the March issue of Consumer Reports rated the Sony KV-30HS420 and the KD-30XS955 tops in the 30" wide screen category. The Samsung TX-P3064W was third.

The 34"ers was again dominated by Sony with the KD-34XBR960 1st, the KD-34XS955 2nd and the KV-34HS420 3rd. These were all wide-screen sets.

It seems like Sony still knows how to make a good CRT set.

Post Number: 6
WOW, thank you for all the replies, MUCH APPRECIATED.

But is what "fx" said corect - CRT's only display 1080i?

I NEED the 720p setting as that is what EVERY game on the Xbox 360 will run at. It is left up to developers to decide if they will make the game in 1080i.

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 70
CRT's are not fixed pixel displays like DLP,LCoS and LCD and plasma. They simply output what is inputed. Most of them will display 480i, 480P, 720P, 1080i, as well as analog and some even have a virtual or "hi-scan" 1080P mode. So to answer your question, it will display 720P just fine.

Some of the cheaper CRT's only display up to something like 960i, so whatever you decide to buy, pull up the specs on it and make sure it displays up to 1080i. Here's a link to a review on the 34" Sony XBR. It's rather expensive for the size but it is a very nice direct view CRT. I'm sure you can find something a little cheaper that's almost as good if it's out of your price range.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KD_34XBR960/4505-6481_7-30787600.html

Post Number: 8
HD,

Thanks for the link. In the review it states that "you can't change the aspect ratio when watching HDTV, but there are 4 options for standard 4:3 sources".

I'm not sure what that really means. BUT, isn't HD always in widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio? If so, why would I want to change that?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
HD is broadcast is 16x9 format...

and sometimes they broadcast in 4x3 format....(side bars-yuck)

While it may not be "true" HD... some programs are broadcast in the 16x9 format that fills up the entire screen on a 16x9 set.... and other shows don't.... It may be a HD channel, but the source may be in the 4x3 format.

I had a Motorola HD Tuner that would "stretch", or give the option to stretch.. thing died, swapped it for a Samsung SIR-T451 tuner.... And I hate it... Stretch mode, and the amount of overscan is WAY off....

Need to see if there is a service adjustment to see if the amount of stretch can be adjusted in the service menu.... all options in the user menu pretty much useless.

Motorola HD tuner unit did a good job of filling the screen, and AUTOMATICALLY would stretch or NOT stretch the picture as needed... Samsung unit SUCKS... Besides doing a piss-poor job of filling the screen, when receiving the different HD formats, you have to manually switch back and forth!!!! (Samsung DVD player on the other hand has some nice stretch modes.... BIG let-down on the Samsung HD tuner....)

PS: Anyone have a:
SERVICE MANUAL for a Samsung HD-Tuner , model SIR-T451 ???????..

SERVICE MANUAL for a Samsung HD-Tuner , model SIR-T451

SERVICE MANUAL for a Samsung HD-Tuner , model SIR-T451

It's got a port on the back...I'm hoping the unit can be put into service mode, and adjusted without any special "tools". (translation, I'd like to adjust the amount of overscan, stretch myself... as the local "service" center personnel are morons.)

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 212
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=560471&page=2

Here's a thread regarding Samsung 47" RPCRT inc ATSC Tuner available from SAms Club for $999 WITH STand.

A great "holdover" HD TV until the FP gets their collective shyte together with the issues and bulb costs. THere is a great burn in thread in that forum as well. Not to worry about burn in. Just keep the brightness and contrast levels down and you will be fine. BTW There is a lot of contrast and brightness "headroom" you won't be losing PQ...(unless you want that overly contrasty in your face "comic book" look of DLP and RP LCD.)

fx
Unregistered guest
"They simply output what is inputed. Most of them will display 480i, 480P, 720P, 1080i, as well as analog and some even have a virtual or "hi-scan" 1080P mode. So to answer your question, it will display 720P just fine.

Quite incorrect, as I wrote clearly above 99% of the CRT's on the market today will not even accept a 720p input much less display it. You will get a blank screen, nada, nothing, not even snow. Please ignore HD Fanatic on this point, generally he is pretty sharp but he dropped the ball on this one.

The reason why is economics, sure a CRT is capable of this but the manufacturers in order to stay price competitive do not include input scaling circuitry to change 720p into the 1080i displayable signal.

You might find a Lowe model that will do this but it will be quite pricey compared to a similar sized CRT by any other manufacturer.

Now you can purchase a CRT monitor that will accept all input signals and will work fine for your XBox gaming but it will not be a TV. Perhaps this is what confused HD Fanatic.

All my data applies to rear projection CRT HDTV's, not to FP CRT projectors.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 9
FX,

Hmm, that complicates matters. I assume I have to make sure that the Xbox 360 will allow you to output only 1080i signal then.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if this would be a machine setting or a software setting.

Hopefully Microsoft thought of this ahead of time as to avoid upsetting a big potential customer base.

Silver Member

Post Number: 223

The 360 will upscale 720p to 1080i on all their games.. , unless you absolutely want to play 720p XBOX games in 720p instead of setting it to output 480p then there is no need for a TV to support 720p

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
Don't believe tom bong!
He's a ranting repetative idiot.

I'm not sure why he keeps repeating false information. It seems more like a self affirmation of his own propaganda.

He acts like he's on some kind of self appointed mission to save us from technology advances.

What a total moron!

Buy what you want, when you want it.

Post Number: 10
Tom,

Is 1080i better than 720p? Will I be losing anything by "upscaling"?

I'm confused if Microsft is allowing you to choose the resolution of if it depends on what resolution the game is coded in.

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
Don't ask this idiot anything!

He doesn't have a clue!

Both are HD formats. Both look fantastic.

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 71
Quote:
"Quite incorrect, as I wrote clearly above 99% of the CRT's on the market today will not even accept a 720p input much less display it. You will get a blank screen, nada, nothing, not even snow."

fx,
I think you will be misleading people on that statement. Most HD CRT's are compatable with 480i, 480P, 720P, and 1080i. It sounds like what you are saying is if a station transmits HD in 720P, that an HD CRT set will not display a picture. That is false. In my area, ABC and FOX both broadcast in 720P and my HD CRT displays them just fine. Maybe you were thinking of analog CRT's???

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
Some purists say 720p is better for certain images,1080i better for others. I do not think most people could tell the difference.

They both look fine and if you send 480P from the box it will look fine. Try it.

Against the Ranter
Unregistered guest
Nobody cares what you have to say, dumbass!
Find a new hobby!

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
And since when do you speak for everyone?

Its okay, I understand your frustration.

I forgive your rude behavior.

Nobody cares what you have to say, Mr Against the Ranter
Unregistered guest
Against the Ranter,

Against the Ranter=Poster child for why people should use birth control.

bong-exposed fraud
Unregistered guest
Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 12:41am

Quotes from the link that tom bong posted in the samsung problems thread:

"In the old days, color imaging was accomplished by tickling phosphors with an electron gun. Surprisingly, this system produced (and continues to produce) the most life-like images of all, which is why CRT front projectors are still preferred by a small number of high-end customers for home theater applications."

"That's because CRTs are capable of a wide grayscale and can show images with very low luminance levels (shadow detail) as well as very high luminance levels (highlights) in the same scene. More importantly, when a CRT is idling, it is essentially shut off. I mean REALLY shut off, as in black. Not a deep gray, as you'll see with LCD, DLP, and LCoS projectors and AM LCD and plasma monitors."

If you ask people who really know this technology, they will tell you that a properly calibrated CRT is the reference that all others are measured by.

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/shmontrast.htm

A 2003 article that groups DLP black levels in with LCD and Plasma isn't very credible. Everyone knows that DLP black levels are matching CRT black levels while LCD is still unable to.

Using wording from a 2003 article as your own is pretty lame. It's pure plagiarism. It's misleading and outdated.

This proves beyond doubt that tom bong is a fraud.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us