Serious help on What to buy!

Username: Jigar

Post Number: 1
Hello to all professionals!
I want to buy a PLASMA HDTV. the cost doesn't matter. I want the size would be between 42" to 50".
I have no idea what to buy. some people say Sony some say Panasonic. and I think pioneer is great. So you tell me what to buy or atleast what manufacturer is the best and i buy it.
thank you

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 856
Since cost "doesn't matter", you should have the resources to determine the answer to this question for yourself.

Post Number: 2
what do u mean?

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 216
You pretty much have it figured out - Sony or Panasonic. Take YOUR pick. Personally, I prefer Sony products, but that's just me...

Also, since price is no object, you might check into a Sharp AQUOS LC-45GD6U. It's a LCD flat panel, not a plasma, but I think you would be quite happy with it.

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1426,00.html

Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 5
Loewe Xelos A 42 42in Plasma TV

Best TV made period. I wish I could afford one, but money matters to me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
Sweet! :-)

http://www.loewe.de/

Post Number: 3
how about 50 inch Tvs? HDTVs

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 6
Pioneer PDP-5050HD Plasma TV Looks like a nice choice for around $5,000. But to me, if money is no object, that's not expensive enough.

Sony KDE-50XS955 Plasma TV - But it's only $4,699.

All I'm doing is surfing the net for the most expensive I can find.

Personally, if I was really buying right now, I would go with the Samsung HLR5067 for around $2,200. But that's because money is important when I purchase something and it will fit in my Entertainment Center.

Another one I like a lot as a free standing is the Samsung HL-R5087W DLP TV. It's about$3279.

Here is a link to this one:

http://www.dtvcity.com/samsung-dlp/samsung-hlr5087w.html

Have I humored you enough yet? I really like looking at this stuff. But if you can get on this message board, you can do the same thing I am doing. Good Bye!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1243
$3300 for something that says Samtrash on it, not in this lifetime.

Post Number: 4
lol, you people are great. thanks for everything

Silver Member

Post Number: 867
David, they won't listen. They just keep buying Samsung. Must be a disease of some sort.

Post Number: 5
i think i should go with sony or panasonic or pioneer. i have seen pioneer sometimes and the quality is great. or maybe i will buy panasonic becasue i have bought a panasonic DVD recorder and its great so they can go with the same brand name. lol

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 7
David/Dale, do you have any suggestions? I have not bought anything yet, but based on my research, I am really leaning towards Samsung, but I will listen to why you think this is a bad idea. Remember though to me, money matters. I have a Pioneer Elite 54TX Reciever that I really like with KEF speakers all the way around. What do you suggest for the TV? I currently have the older 40" direct view Mitsubishi and whatever I buy has to fit in that opening. It's about 47" wide and height and depth will handle anything. I can't see going bigger than a 50" screen which is one of the reasons I am looking mostly at Samsung. They fit my opening the best and they are reasonably priced.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1247
They are reasonably priced because they are cheap junk that doesn't last. Saving a little up front doesn't mean anything if it doesn't last very long. Saying Samsung is plagued with problems is an understatement.

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 8
WOW what a great explanation. They are junk because I say so. I go on another forum and read about how much people like the newer HLR models, but I should not get one because you say they are plagued with problems? OK maybe this will make it easier:

Do you like:

Mitsubishi
Pioneer
Sony
LG
Phillips

Do you like DLP, LCD, Plasma or CRT?

Many of us are coming on to boards like this to try and learn what is good, and we are looking for people who know what they are talking about. I have read some really good and some not so good about most every brand, but from what I have read Samsung is what I am leaning towards, but I am not locked into it by any means. I'm just looking for your opinion of what is good, not just Samsung is bad.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 183
Jim,
I can't speak about the technical issues behind not buying a Samsung, but I can tell you from experience they wouldn't be my 10th choice. I've heard a lot of incompatibility issues with the HDMI connection on Samsungs, which amounts to an HDCP issue. I'm very partial to Sony's, even though there may be something better out there. I think what you're missing here is both Dale and David agree don't waste your money on one. They are cheap, but ask yourself why are the Samsungs so cheap compared to other similar models? It's because they use cheap components. I agree this might not be the answer you're looking for but just because you read somewhere else that people like them, doesn't mean there's not issues with them. If you want to buy one, go get it...opinions are subject to debate. My opinion is I would rather spend a few more dollars and get something that isn't in the bargain section. You may like it now, but down the road you'll regret making that purchase. Most high dollar purchases require a little research before you invest your hard earned money. You don't buy a car without taking for a test drive do you? My recommendation is to find a local company in columbus, like audio encounters, stereovisions, progressive audio, absolute theater let them know what your budget is, compare availability based on your price limit and get their opinion on what is the best product in your price range, then go off to best buy, hh gregg or wherever and find the best value for what is recommended. You'll probably find that everybody has one common recommendation to stay away from this, and given options. I'm sure Samsung won't get many recommendations, unless it's purely based on price. Hope that helps

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 9
I have been to Absolute Theatre in Powell and guess what they showed me and told me was the best buy? You guessed it: Samsung. Been to the Great Indoors which has fairly high end and they are the ones who sold me on the new Samsung HLR. One guy there likes the Mitsubishi a little better than the earlier HLP models of Samsung, but he really likes the HLR models. I am a shopper and I do lot's of research. That's why I'm here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1250
Go buy one then. Why do you need anyone here when you've already made up your mind?

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
He's looking for social reinforcement... :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
OMG!!! After re-reading this thread, I realized that 'we' are (almost) in total agreement. This is a first...

Look, Jimmy Kilowatt, Samsung sucks!

I've bought nothing but Samsung PC monitors ever since I can remember, but never more. This SyncMaster 763mb, I'm using, has convergence problems (blurry) after only 2 years, e.g. they don't make them like they used to, baby! And, all the Internet PC sites still think Samsung monitors are the hottest thing going. They obvously didn't use one for any length of time...

I bought a Samsung DVD-HD841, based on what I read here. Everyone said this was the hottest DVD player going. It sucked! It suffered from 'black crush' big time (no definition in black areas), right out of the box! I took it back to Best Buy, and noticed they had a whole pile of them on the clearance rack - returns from other customers. I bought a Philips, and I'm tickled pink with it...

I bought a Samsung SIR-T351 HDTV STB. Everyone said it was great too. It wasn't! Another Samsung POS, I'm afraid. Dropped channels like crazy (had to re-program the channels everyday), for no reason. Took it back and got a Motorola STB - tickled pink with it.

Now, as far as your TV pick goes - everyone's favorite, the Sammy DLP - if you like audio/video sync lag (when playing games), dithering problems (speckles), clay-faces (everyone looks like an Indian), stuck mirrors, and the dreaded rainbow effect (wow man, that's good acid), you made the right choice!

Is that detailed enough?

Post Number: 6
lol yes its enough.
what do you think about Pioneer Tvs?

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 10
I'm not buying anything. Just making conversation and trying to get a good idea of what to buy when the Mitsubishi dies. Right now I have a car that died and needs replaced and a daughter getting married this weekend and I have to pay for the wedding.

I just wish I could go buy a new TV, lock everybody out of the house until I'm ready to let somebody in and watch movies and listen to music. Instead I'm going to have a house full of in-laws staying with us for the next several days. I think I need a break. Sorry if I offended anybody, that was not my intention.

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
Heh! Didn't offend ME!

I'm the nice guy around here... :-)

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 11
Link to a thread where people really like Samsung:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/139094.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 873
JimKW. You were warned. Buy Samsung and be miserable ever after.

Username: Tskobo

Post Number: 2
My parents are being talked into a new 42" HD Fujitsu plasma. Money is no object, but after looking at the specs, the stated contrast ratio is 1000:1 vs. panasonic's 3000:1. The sales rep. said that the processor in the t.v. makes it "the new rolls royce" of plasmas. Anyone ever see this one (HHA40). Probably not worth the extra $, but if $ is no object, is it really the best?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us