Sammy HL-R6168 vs. Mits WD62725

Username: Deegan

Post Number: 1
I'm on the cusp of buying one of these monsters. I'll be going OTA for HD initially, and viewing most of the content with Directv standard programming lineup (via DirecTiVo box). Over the next few months, I'll upgrade to piped in HD content. Meanwhile, back to the question at hand.

I'm torn between both TV's. I won't be using the cable card in either (but want them just incase I lean that direction at a later time). I just want the best pic, all around reliability, and performance. TV will be setup in a dedicated media room and the audience sitting at about 12'. One more thing, going component input via DVD.

I've read the forums and found issue with both but if you HAD to choose between these 2 and money is NOT a consideration, which would you lean toward and why. Thank you for your input!

FYI
Unregistered guest
You must mean the HLR6167WX because the HLR6168 isn't available yet. If your waiting for the 68, which is a native 1080P display, it's apples and oranges to the Mitsu which is a native 720P display. If you have any windows or lamps you won't like the Mitsu because the anti-glare Diamond Shield glares. It will reflect any light in the room. Both models have the useless CableCard slot. The Mitsu has an older generation light engine and chip.

The HLR6167 has the latest 5th generation light engine and the new HD4 chip which is twice as fast at mirror switching than previous chips.

If money isn't an issue then wait for the HLR6768 for about $7k. It won "Best in Show" at the Las Vegas CES. It's the largest DLP display in the world and has the 1080P native resolution with 10,000:1 contrast ratio.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5545074-1.html?tag=top

The actual DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
SIR-may i reccomend the sony xs lcd projection set-because i had the Mits WD62725,and sent it back.
3 reasons-
1- rainbows
2- fan noise
3- i could hear the color wheel
check it out-i think you will agree!
good luck

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
quite a fip-flop there-The actual DLP4me!

The actual DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
yes-mr.DLP4me!
but i got seasick from the rainbows,and unlike mr. klause-i could hear the color wheel spinnig.
lcd projection has no moving parts-sir

The only DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
gotta agree with ya dude-lcd BABY!

bustenchops
Unregistered guest
RIGHT ON BRO-JUST TOOK DELIVERY OF MY NEW SONY XS55-no more rainbows

Post Number: 2
Yup, typo'ed there. I meant the current generation of Sammy's and specifically the HL-R6167W.

I'm not interested in LCD because I'm going to be watching sports more than anything and have read LCD does not transition as quickly as DLP. Additionally, though you pretty much have to be ontop of the sets, SDE is something I've little interest in dealing with.

Finally, though money (around $3.5k) is no issue with either set, why wait for the 1080p version when there is no content for that TV?

Oh, while I'm at it. Does the internal system of the Sammy beat out the internal system of the Mits? A salesperson (read: trying to spend my money) told me the Samsung is catching up to the Mits with this years technology -- essentially Sammy is "chasing" Mits.

I'm listening ...

The actual DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Deegan Reed-dude,
1-sde -never saw it,rainbows i did see on my mits
2-transition?-on my mits ghosts and shadows were abundant,on fast movie scences,and with x-box.
on my lcd -NONE!NON-ISSUE!
3-sony has all connections needed-non -issue.
the only thing i would say is make sure you can exchange your dlp,because between the rainbows,and fan noise,YOU WILL BE RETURNING IT.
there are many dlp to lcd switchers on this board who were sucked in by dlp,only to convert to lcd projection.
good luck on your choice.
just look at all the converts posted here.

Authentic DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
All the converts on this thread are the same phsyco fraud imposter who got tired of playing with himself one way and thought playing with himself on the forum would be fun.
What an adolescent, idiot, boneheaded creep.

Deegan,

I don't know how anybody could be chasing anybody since Texas Instruments in Dallas makes all the DLP chips. These are new inventions. Every smart person is buying the extended warranty. Seems no matter what brand you choose you will be the testing ground for it, just like the rest of us.
My Samsung is an awesome DLP. What Texas instruments has been able to do with light and mirrors is nothing less than a revolutionary phenomenon.
I didn't like the glaring screen on the Mitsu, either.

Post Number: 4
Well, looks like I've stumbled into some sort of dispute on who is the actual DLP4me! However, regardless of who holds the actual identity, both of you offered interesting points of view.

Uh, one thing: I thought LCD had an issue with fast moving images on-screen (pixelation) like sports broadcasts, etc.?

I recently read Sound & Vision and their comparison between DLP vs. LCD (they tested a Sammy vs. Hitachi) and although they are very close, all three testers leaned just slightly toward the DLP option. I do have a solid return policy on this particular purchase and will be taking advantage of that if things fall apart. And, yes, I will be purchasing the extended warranty and watching my step.

DLP4me!
Unregistered guest
Deegan,

When you get one home and you've had some time to check it out, give us your take on it. I've been thinking about getting an "R" series too.

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 26
Deegan:
You will find in these posts that An individual posts by hijacking other unregistered guests' logins. He makes reference to his life partner , and lcd even though one of his hijacked aliases is DLP4me. We have decuced by looking at the times he posts that he is probably an adolescent male ( possibly neutered) and that his life partner is actually his mommy, who carefully monitors his computer time but not the material that he publishes.

In regard to your questions, The new 67 series sets from Samsung have been well received and should be reliable. The problems with the previous models were fixed via aggressive warranty repairs and updates to parts such as color wheels that had issues with reliability. You will notice that Real Samsung product issues have dropped way off in these threads, and many are now hook up or signal quality issues. If you are going to have the set in a bright room, Samsung is the way to go since the screen is very glare resistant, vs the Mits shiny screen.

Cory C
Unregistered guest
Going back to the question earlier... someone said why wait for the 1080p set... although there are no 1080p broadcasts... native 1080p resolution will greatly improve 1080i and 720p pictures.

Username: Aaronwt

Northern VAWoodbridge

Post Number: 7
The 1080P Samsungs will be out in a couple of weeks. They are only a few hundred dollars more than the 720P models. I have a preorder with an interent retailer for the 6168 for the same price that I could get the 720P version from Best Buy with tax.

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 35
aaronwt,

Which online store did you place your order with?

Northern VAWoodbridge

Post Number: 8
It was a Powerbuy through the AVS forum. If you go to the Rear Projection Section, you will see the thread at the top for the Samsungs and a link to the purchase info at the beginning of the thread. The only requirement is you have to be an AVS forum member to make the purchase. They are some very good prices so check them out.

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 38
Thanks!

I found this online store taking orders too!
Hell of a price considering what the MSRP is.

http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?id=sahlr6768w&l=more

Northern VAWoodbridge

Post Number: 9
They also want $250 for shipping. And I don't know if they have a 30 day return policy, with no fee if you get another set, like where I preordered mine. Plus I got an extended warranty that tacked on 4 years to the manufacturers 1 year, and a 3 year bulb replacement warranty and a 2 or 3 year screen replacement warranty.

RichNY
Unregistered guest
I too am anxiously waiting for the 6168. I had called the internet retailer specified above last month(which actually has a store in NYC) and they told me they already had the x68 to ship. This was a big surprise to the Samsung Product Manager, whom I happen to talk with from time to time.
I wouldnt buy anything from a retailer who so blatantly is a liar.
Think the 6168 and Samsun are now the 1) top technology HD leader, 2) has a very reasonable price, 3) is now arguably the mid-level consumer electronics leader having replaced SONY, 4) doesnt have an anti-glare screen which imho ruins the mitsu and if mitsu ships with it, i guess there is a reason even tho it can be taken off, and 5) anyone who has seen these sets probably has to agree that design wise they blow away any of the competition.
As far as SONY, sayonara - you blew your lead, I have seen the Qualia next to the 6768 at the Home Entertainment Show and for twice the price - or even the same price - was not impressed.

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 11
I also saw the samsung next to the sony at the Home Entertainment Show in NY and have to admit the sony did look a little bit better and the TI rep also admitted the sony was better, but at twice the money the samsung is a much better buy.

Anonymous

Which Samsung next to what Sony?
Didn't happen at the January Las Vegas CES!
Samsung was preferred against all brands.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5545074-1.html?tag=top
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us