Importance of dvi input

adamchich
Unregistered guest
Can someone please tell me how important a dvi input is on a hdtv. I'm planning on buying a 16:9 hdtv and noted that only some tvs have a dvi input. I will be using the tv to watch dvds and digital cable.

Thanks.

vurbano
Unregistered guest
DVI is important to prevent you from copying HD material. Otherwise you will get the same performance from component cables. DVI is a standard being pushed by disney and the film makers (it is uncompressed, gigabytes per second,therefore you would quickly fill up any media and be able to copy it without some kind of compression "box").

vurbano
Unregistered guest
DVI is important to prevent you from copying HD material. Otherwise you will get the same performance from component cables. DVI is a standard being pushed by disney and the film makers (it is uncompressed, gigabytes per second,therefore you would quickly fill up any media and not be able to copy it without some kind of compression "box").

Unregistered guest
Hi All:
I am new to HDTV but am considering getting the Samsung 61" DLP the Samsung 931 DVD Player and a Dish Network HD Receiver. I have one question:

Isnt it true that Assuming you are interested in DVI, you probably have a HDTV -- which begs the question, how many DVI inputs do you have on your HDTV? Only one I assume -- so you are forced with making a choice of receiving HDTV through DVI, or your DVD player through DVI, but not both.

Is this correct? Are you able to watch HDTV and the DVD without switching the DVI cable on the back of your set?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS
ZubinH@aol.com

Anonymous

Use DVI for your HDTV inputs. There is no HD DVD player and it seems to be well documented that componet (the Red Green Blue cable) looks better than the DVI on the DVD player. When a HD DVD player comes out and DVD are in HD format, then you might need a DVI DVD.

My .02 worth.

Anonymous

Zubin:
The Samsung 931 DVD player has a DVI output. What you need is a DVI switch box so that you can select DVI input either from HDTV or DVD. This will solve your problem. Search DVI switch box and you will find a few in the market.

Merrill
Unregistered guest
I want to use DVI connections both from my DVD player (Samsung 931) and also from my Voom Sat receiver into my new Samsung 61" DLP, but it only has one DVI input.

I've found three DVI switches, and I think there are others. Which is best? Does anyone have any comparison experience or testimonials? Here is what I found ...

1. Gefen - $250 or $225 with no cables (the best one?) -

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=DS-21R

3. Lindy $175 (no wires) - http://www.lindy.com/us/productfolder/09/97711/index.php

Thanks for your help,
- Merrill

Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 6
Have you tried using component cables to connect from your DVD to TV? Just curious, but this may save you some money. DVD-quality video can only look so good; I guess there's still no comparison to HD.

Anonymous

The advantage of using the DVI out on your DVD player is the ability of most of these dvd players to "upconvert" the DVD signal from 480P to 720P/768p/1080i. I have not personally seen this in action and cannot attest to the quality of the upconversion but that seems to be the feature Samsung flaunts the most about their DVI DVD players.

DonS
Unregistered guest
I have a question about the SAMSUNG DVD player that has both DVI and component video output. Is the resolution the same on both outputs?

Anonymous

The resolution will depend on your TV. The component video output from the Samsung DVD is 480P and the DVI output is upconverted (still not HD by definition) to 720P/i080i. Many HDTV would routinely upconvert the input signal to 720p/1080i. So if you have a TV that does the upconvert, you will see the same resolution because it would upconvert the 480P signal to 720P/1080i.

Anonymous

to get the best upconversion it is best to have a player like the 841 to do it then send to your tv. many hdtv's will not do as good a job by themselves

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 104
there is no PQ difference between DVI and component connections.

jeff spear
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung DVD player with DVI output and am interested in buying a projector for a home theatre setup. Some claim to be HDTV but have no DVI setup. I've found a couple with DVI inputs that also have a native XGA resolution. They don't claim to be HDTV, however. Will a DVI input on such a projector display the Samsung upconversion in its entirety? Is this a standard computer protocol signal that will be understood by another device with the same input configuration?

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 12
This is a rather 'deep' topic, but...

The original purpose of DVI was to do away digital to analog conversion when hooking up computers to LCD monitors. DVI provides a direct digital to digital connection, hence, no signal degradation. What's that mean to us?

When you hook something up to your HDTV with analog cables, a DVD player for instance, the player is converting a digital signal to analog, then the HDTV is converting the analog signal back to digital. With a DVI connection, the signal doesn't get converted back and forth.

Without getting into all the pros and cons, twists and turns, politics and business, variations in design and implementation, and all the rest of that stuff - that's the bottom line!

No signal loss...

Unregistered guest
I just puchased the Samsung DVI DVD and the DVI 43" TV, but the DVD will not allow me to select the DVI output. It allows standard and S-Video but not DVI, do you think my DVI interconnect that came with the TV is bad? Tips? Thanks.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
" just puchased the Samsung DVI DVD and the DVI 43" TV, but the DVD will not allow me to select the DVI output. It allows standard and S-Video but not DVI, do you think my DVI interconnect that came with the TV is bad? Tips? Thanks."

DVi is somewhat peculiar in that the cables must be connected when the units are off. Then when you turn on the DVD player it will recognize a DVI connection. Give it a try.

Anonymous

I just purchased a Samsung HD841 and had similar trouble. You actually need to connect it S-Video, go into setup and change to DVI. While doing that, you have 20 seconds to click ok on the DVI display. This is a mechanism to keep you from setting it to a mode that you cannot recover from. After selecting DVI on the DVD, change the TV input to the DVI input, move the cursor to the button that says you can see it ok and select it. Samsung should now be using DVI.

Good luck -- hope this helps solve your problem.

Cioffi for HDTV
Unregistered guest
paul derouin is not correct regarding the DVI and the component connections that are located on DVD players being the same.

Most DVD palyers only output 480i or 480p on the component connections and if they feature upscaling will only upscale on the DVI output to 720p and 1080i.

I have a Hitachi 50HDT50 Plasma TV that automatically detects the signal type (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i)and a Samsung progressive scan dvd player which upconverts a 480p to 720p or 1080i. These upconverted signals are detected only via the DVI connection and not via the component connections. Component connections of the Samsung and the all the Sony DVD players I have seen including the newest Sonys which up convert only output 480p.

This is not true for my VOOM satellite service. Voom HDTV DVI and component connections are both 1080i and not 720p or 480p.

hope this helps!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
I'm a bit confused, but I'm able to change the settings on my voom menu to either 1080i OR 720p using my component connections. I assumed (because I don't own a prog. scan dvd player) that I could get 720p out of a prog. scan dvd player w/ component connections, since I can do so with voom. Is this wrong?

Anonymous

Samsung DVD Players that upconvert only use the DVI Output to upconvert to DVI DHCP Inputs. There are other players that can upconvert using component out like the new high end onkyo player but is quite expensive.

There is also another connection type out there called HDMI that can upconvert but require a display device to have that connection as well.

Marty B
Unregistered guest
You know you can get the Zenith Upconvert DVD player and apply a firmware patch to make it work through component. AVS forum has something about this.
WHen it first came out it upconverted on both component and DVI. They had an issue on the DVI end and the new one's have a firmware patch to fix the DVI issue but, in the process, they killed the component upconversion.
The fix is to apply the original firmware via burning a .bin file to cd and just turning on the player with the disk in.

The chip that does it is a pretty famous one but the name escapes me. It starts with an "F", like Focia or something like that. Ther is a generic sister modle that does the same thing that is about 20$ cheaper but can't remember that name either.

I am stuck w/o DVI as I bought an pre-scenium RCA TV w/HD DTV integrated and I guess they never thought anyone would need anything more than DTV or OTA for HD.

I am thinking of getting one of the Zenith models but was waiting for some to say they tried the fix and it works.

i can read
Unregistered guest
I have been reading the comments on this page, and I am laughing at all of you who do not read your owners manuals.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
ha ha ha! Very funny; happy Thanksgiving to you, too, pal. Seriously though, some of us are allergic to the paper contained in owner's manuals. Yeah. Now go get your kicks somewhere else.

SamsungCrazy
Unregistered guest
I just bought the Samsung 841 upconvert DVD player, and actually prefer the 480p (component video) to the 1080i (DVI) pic. The DVI pic is very dark and does not give me any new level of detail. The source material can only go so far, I guess...

So, since I'm getting the Samsung TS360 DirecTV receiver I will hook that up via DVI and just use component video from the DVD player. If that's the case, do I really need a fancy upconvert DVD player or will any old p-scan DVD work?

I think I answered my own question, but does anyone have a thought?

Username: Gofigure1

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 1
DVI inputs? I own the Sony XBR800 which has the DVI input. What I deduct after all my research into this feature/topic is that it's just A way of Sony together with other manufactures of HDTV receivers to sneak there DRM formats into your home. Making it impossible to record anything without paying for it. Other than that I do not see any advantage in picture quality. If anyone here cares to elaborate on what I have just said or try to prove me wrong please do.

Thanks

Unregistered guest
Hey! I just bought a Samsung 841 DVD player, and am wanting to run its DVI output into a DVI switch, so I can switch between it and my Dish Network HD receiver's DVI output. I'm looking at the Gefen 2x1 DVI switch (http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hd-DVI-2x1.htm), but there's a warning about the Samsung 841 on the page, and suggests instead using the related HDMI switch. The Samsung doesn't have and HDMI output, though! Anyone know of a DVI switch that will be guaranteed to work with the Samsung? My TV is an LG RU-44SZ63D with HDCP, by the way. Thanks!

User 007
Unregistered guest
Dan:

Ram Electronics had HDMI to DVI convertor plugs

Unregistered guest
I own a Sony DRC 34" with dvi input and i'd like to know if it is possible to connect my PC there would it work, my dvi card is a geforce fx which features a dvi outlet

DK
Unregistered guest
Most new quality TVs will do as good if not better job of upconversion than what the Samsung can do. Do research and you should easily find that SONY Grand Wega does a better job of upconversion thatn a DVD player. Either way, the quality of the picture is going to be way below true HDTV. In my opinion, buying a DVI switch is a waste of money if you have available component imputs for a DVD player.

Anonymous

"upconverting" sort of like putting a color screen over a black and white TV and calling it color

mystifiedbyacronyms
Unregistered guest
Help! I started reading about this all yesterday, why so many acronyms?...!I want to use a DVD player to send a signal direct to an LCD monitor (no PC between). Can I do this? Do I have to be careful to purchase a DVD player with DVI that does not have HDCP (which I think the Bravo D1 does not - are there any others, I think Samsung does).

The reason I want just the monitor and DVD player is I don't want a TV or TV tuner (cos I will have to pay the license fee, and don't want all that rubbish beamed into my home.)

And can I then just plug the dvd player into my speakers (how many acronyms and standards will I have to understand for that?!)

And then what about "regions"? The bravo D1 doesn't seem to be available for sale in UK. Will I be able to play UK purchased dvds on it if I get one over the 'Net?

Teresa
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us