Maintenance on LCD/DLP/Plasma

Username: Phillyguy

Post Number: 1
Ok, I've been researching models and types of HDTV. This message board ahs been very helpful in avoiding some products.

One thing not mentioned is maintenance for each of the above tyoes of TV. Today while researching I saw that for example DLP's need bulb replacements every 8000 hours at $250 a pop.
Also, LCD's need new bulbs at $300 a pop every 8000 hours of watching.

This being the case, why would you not go with a tube TV at this time? Or Plasma?

Are there other maintenance issues I should be aware of before forking out a ton of money? I've been saving gift cards for a year and keep asking for them as presents to get a HDTV. Looks like I should have just laid out the money for a tube TV.

Anonymous

Grab a calculator and figure out how long 8000 hours of watching is. Unless your watching tv more than 5 hours a day 365 days a year a bulb should last you at least 5 years. And last time I called sony (1-800-222-sony) they quoted me a bulb price of $200. And changing the bulb is a do-it-yourself job.
Tubes aren't big enough and they're heavy. Plasmas cost too much and run up your electric bill.

Bronze Member
Username: Sbull

Post Number: 15
Plasmas and CRT's have burn-in issues with static images. LCD's (and DLP's, I believe) don't. As ANON said, 8000 hrs. is a whole lot o' watchin'.

RobW
Unregistered guest
Crt's are less expensive and the videophile's choice (when ultimately tweaked by trained technician) BUT I'm quite happy with my 60" Sony LCD which weighs 110#, sits on a low table, and is only 22" deep. CRT tv's tend to dominate your room.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us