Looking to buy a 55">= DLP or lcd television under 3600

Username: Macadami

Post Number: 2
My 55" samsung hdrptv has a strange blue yellow caliberation error at the bottom i cant seem to fix, so im looking to get a new DLP tv hopefully around the same size or bigger. I just got a new dvd player with that whole hdmi thing and i use satelite instead of cable so that whole cable card thing doesnt concern me. Any advice as to which i shoud look at?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 419
The 52" or 61" JVC DiLA. I feel there are too many issues with the single chip DLP sets. The JVC uses 3 chips (no rainbows) has HDMI input, and one of the best pictures around. You don't have to worry about a/v sync issues, motion blur, or burn-in either. The price is excellent too. You can easily find the 52" for around $2800, and the 61" for around $3400. I've seen lower prices than that, but you have to shop around.

DLP? Sammy for me!
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch,

Why are you, pushing that JVC DILA (LCOS) glorified LCD technology? Everybody knows that LCD won't last 2000 hours before pixels fail, stick, or discolor. Then, what's he gonna do? Those three chips are reflecting a Liquid Crystal On Silicon display. It's a completely different technology than the superior DLP (30+ years) technology. Besides, he says he's looking for a DLP. Rainbows are a thing of past DLP models. Seven segment color wheels at 12,000+ RPM don't cast rainbows. Yea, I know, the bearings whine a little after a year, but the part ($160) is covered in any extended warranty. The Samsung picture is unmatched. I haven't heard the first bad thing about the Samsung HLP5674 series with the HD2+ chip. Some people are swearing by Toshiba's HD2+ chip over the HD3 of Samsung's HLP5063W model. (higher contrast) I haven't seen it for myself, though. The first xHD3 chip set (1080P) should be available soon from someone. I found this! "Samsung HL-P6197W - $6,499 (retail price) - 61 inch picture - uses the xHD3 DLP engine with full 1080 x 1920 pixels supporting a native 1080p resolution. Will have a 3000:1 contrast ratio and will use a high speed 7-segment color wheel." I've had my HLP5063W (HD3 chip) for almost a year now. No complaints, except now they are $1400 less. Here is the best deal I can find on a new one like mine.

[link removed]

DLP? Sammy for me!
Unregistered guest
Oh, I forgot...you bought a JVC. Sorry! I truly hope it stays trouble free for you. Hopefully the LCOS is a little better than standard LCD. I'll stop bashing now.

Mr.Lynch
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 03:08 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with you Ray. People need to be more constructive with their posts. I think Samsung has an excellent product with the DLP sets. They do have questionable quality issues, but it seems to be getting a lot better. I have not seen as many complaints as before. I'm pretty sure they are addressing the issues and that is why some of the products have been delayed (74 series for example).

Every type of TV is going to have its pluses and minuses, but for the most part just about every HDTV is going to look damn good compared to what was available before. I personally bought a JVC, but I'm sure I'd be happy with a Toshiba or Hitachi or Sony or even a Samsung. I found this forum very helpful (for the most part) and we need to keep it that way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us