Is there a problem with JVC D-ila rear projection HDTVs?

Username: Wbbaril

Post Number: 1
I've been HDTV shopping and my top candidates are Mitsubishi WD-62725, Samsung HLP5674W and the JVC HD-62Z575. I've noticed several "makes me wonder" events in the last month with the JVC.
1. Significant price reducitons.
2. Best Buy removed the floor model and said they won't carry the TV.
3. Standard TV/Appliance has a "special purchace" major discount running.

Anybody know what's going on?

LLJ
Unregistered guest
I have been hearing that the price slashes are due to the second generation TV's coming out in March...(See Below)

JVC EXPANDS HD-ILA REAR PROJECTION HDTV LINE WITH NEW SCREEN SIZES & 1080P SETS

Proprietary three-chip D-ILA microdisplay technology to be offered in 52-, 56-, 61- and 70-inch screen sizes.

LAS VEGAS, January 6, 2005 -- Building on the successful 2004 launch of its HD-ILA microdisplay rear projection televisions, JVC Company of America expands the line this year with the addition of two new screen sizes and two sets that provide 1080p resolution.

First offered in 52- and 61-inch screen sizes, JVC will add 56- and 70-inch sets this year. The company will market 720p versions in all four screen sizes, plus 1080p 61- and 70-inch sets. All of JVC's HD-ILA rear projection TVs use the company's three-chip D-ILA (Direct-drive Image Light Amplifier) technology that has been used for many years in the company's high performance professional video projectors.

"Our first HD-ILA displays were very well-received last year, and we showed that our technology can deliver the superior performance promised and the reliability the market demands," said Michael Holmes, Vice President, Consumer Display Division, JVC Company of America. "This year, with full HD versions, more screen sizes and added features, we'll firmly establish D-ILA as the most advanced microdisplay technology available, and offer a line that appeals to an even larger market."

The first new sets to be available will be 720p models: the HD-52G886 (52 inches), HD-56G886 (56 inches), HD-61Z886 (61 inches) and the HD-70G886 (70 inches), all with silver cabinets. Black cabinet versions of the 52-, 56- and 61-inch models will also be available (models HD-52G786, HD-56G786 and HD-61Z786, respectively). All are ATSC tuner/CableCARD-equipped, feature PC inputs, and dual IEEE 1394 inputs. The HD-70G886 adds a memory card slot for convenient direct playback of still images and video from the full array of flash memory cards.

All 720p sets use the same 1280 x 720 pixels, 0.7-inch D-ILA device in a three-chip design -- a vertically-oriented LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon) technology that adds an inorganic alignment layer that stabilizes device performance and maximizes chip production. The three-chip structure has the ability to - 2 - continuously reproduce a flicker- and burn-free picture. In addition, an invisible pixel structure ensures that there are no color or motion artifacts, and a true analog grey scale provides outstanding gradations of black.

Late in the year's third quarter, JVC will ship the 61-inch HD-61FH96 and 70-inch HD-70FH96, which offer resolution of 1080p using a 1920 x 1080 (over 2 million pixels x 3 panels), 0.7-inch D-ILA device. Both will offer dual HDMI inputs, and the 70-inch model will also include a memory card slot.

All JVC 720p HD-ILA sets feature the company's fourth generation Digital Image Scaling Technology (D.I.S.T.) and GENESSA, a 32-bit CPU dedicated to controlling picture refinement. JVC's D.I.S.T. uses an exclusive digital algorithm to upconvert any video source to the set's highest possible resolution -- 720p. Jagged lines inherent in the original source are smoothed and vertical resolution enhanced. Another exclusive is JVC's Five-Point Color Management, a new generation of this technology that samples red, green, blue, yellow and flesh tones and adjusts each separately to delivers vivid color reproduction.

Performance is further enhanced through the use of HD DSD (Digital Super Detail) edge enhancement, which is active on still, fast and slow motion areas of the picture for crisp, defined edges. HD-ILA sets also feature improved Dynamic Gamma Control Circuitry with GENESSA, TheaterPro D6500K color temperature, Digital Noise Clear Circuitry, Interactive Plug-in Menu, XDS ID Display, and Natural Cinema 3-2 pull down with on/off capability for the best image quality when viewing content originally shot for film.

An HDMI input (dual HDMI inputs on HD-61FH96 and HD-70FH96) with HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) offers an uncompressed solution to the transmission and display of high definition video and audio content. All sets also include dual auto sensing component video inputs, assuring the best possible picture quality whether a viewer is using DTV, D-VHS or DVD, and three S-Video (two rear, one side) inputs and four AV inputs (three rear, one side).

For top-quality audio performance all sets offer BBE High Definition Sound Enhancement, JVC's new A.H.S.+ (Advanced Hyper Surround), which features improved center channel performance, and oblique cone speakers that direct the sound upward to deliver better performance throughout the room. All also include the convenient AV CompuLink III for connectivity with other JVC audio and video products, and an NTSC tuner with split screen and multi-screen.

All HD-ILA televisions feature a user-replaceable lamp.

Most new HD-ILA sets feature a new cabinet design with a thinner frame and a slimmer speaker area across the bottom. JVC will also offer a new stand that integrates with any of the new HD-ILA sets to create a clean, single-piece appearance.

Availability for JVC's HD-ILA televisions is as follows:

Model Available
HD-70G886 March
HD-61Z886/786 March
HD-56G886/786 June
HD-52G886/786 July
HD-70FH96 Fall
HD-61FH96 Fall

Anonymous

The theory was the JVC capitalizing on their extensive 3 chip D-ILA experience with high end front projectors, would then be able to successfully bring this same 3 chip technology at a lower price point to rear projectors - by in essense avoiding the major problems of the 2 major competing technologies, ie one chip DLP and LCD projection

JVC can and will win over regular single chip DLP's, at least with buyers seeking to avoid the color wheeel/headache risk.

However, JVC will not win over LCD projections any longer

Problem is the latest generation LCD's at a viewing distance even at close as screen diagonal distance tend to either have a barely noticable "screen door" effect or more likely none at all

On the other hand the JVC D-ILA's tend to have a soft look, which compares very unfavorably to LCD projection technology, and makes them look somewhat weak in side by side comparisons against Panasnonic, Hitachi, and Sony LCD's of comparable size

Bottom line is the "screen door" effect of LCD has basically be fixed, and LCD will outsell JVC D-ILA models in most cases

My guess is that the large box stores are not selling that many

Username: Toona

Post Number: 5
Since the newer models are coming out starting in March, do you guys thing the 52" 575/585 will be dropping any further? We want to purchase it now but after reading this we are thinking...just two more months...

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 414
KAthy-

The 52" inch won't be replaced until atleast July so the prices will continue to drop, but won't make a big move until then.

Username: Toona

Post Number: 10
Thanks Mr. Lynch, I just kind of wanted an opinion and I agree with you on the date. Just not sure whether to wait or not. I guess there will always be something better coming up...time to fish or cut bait.

Unregistered guest
My husband and I are looking at buying a new big screen (56 inch or 60-61 inch). We're thinking of holding off until the 1080p models are out since this should apparently improve resolution even though HD won't be broadcasted in 1080p for some time (if ever). Will the picture be that much better on these 1080p models over lets say, the current Panny or Toshiba DLP models (I know there aren't any 1080p DLP's announced yet for these makes but Samsung and LG seem to have some decent product coming out). We just want to make sure that we are going to have the best picture quality possible - it's not everyday you dish out that much $$$ for a TV set and we know that at the size we're looking at, pictures can be grainy on some broadcasts, hoping 1080p might make it a little sharper.

Anonymous

They are nice, but it won't have any impact on HD broadcasts for years, DVDs of the current variety won't look better (and potentially worse), and SD/Analog content will look markedly worse than today on 720p sets. With BlueRay and the other HD DVD standards hitting the market soon those movies will look like HD or better, but the players will be expensive and you have to get movies on the new format (which one can assume won't be cheap and few and far between at first when compared to current DVDs.)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us