Ghosting and/or Color offset on my CRT HDTV

Bronze Member
Username: Lytalbayre

Post Number: 34
So, I have a dishnetwork 34" CRT (Widescreen) HDTV monitor. Model HD34-310 (It's newer than the HD34-300, and has features like reverse 3:2 pulldown).

The problem is that when I watch some DVDs, not all, there appears to be a small amount of ghosting or color offset, not sure how to describe it.

Example 1 is when you view widescreen narrower than 16:9 you will still have bars on top and bottom. On the edge of the top bar, maybe 3 or so pixels wide, the color will be off (pale green instead of blue).

Example 2 is when there are very intense colors, like bright yellow text, shifted to the right and the same thickness of about 3-5 pixels you will basically see a ghost image or shadow of the bright image (bleeding into surrounding image).

Example 3, like 2, is when there are high contrast scenes, like a persons face juxtaposed against a dark or black background, you will again see the ghost or shadow shifted to the right.

Sitting ten feet away, and this is barely noticeable, but because I know about it, I'm constantly paranoid.

Also, I have noticed on newer DVDs, the problem is not as bad as on older (4-5 yr. old dvds).

I have tested dvds and seen this problem using a panasonic 480p signal over component, a zenith 480p signal over DVI, and a zenith 1080i signal over DVI. Because the problem is there no matter the signal, it leads me to believe that the actual monitor must have a problem.

The settings are warm color, low black level, low sharpness, medium contrast, middle tint, no VSM, no auto skin tone, low contrast expansion (don't really know what that is), medium color. (I think that's it).

Any theories on this? Any easy fixes? Hard fixes?

Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us