Question about upconverting dvd players

Username: Freman

Post Number: 2
I was thinking about buying the samsung hd841 but it seems to have mixed reviews. I'm not very tech savy and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I have a sony kp46wt500 television I bought 1.5 yrs ago. It does have a dvi input and can go up to 1080i. Would I see a much better picture with the samsung compared to a progressive scan player? The player I have now is an older rca with no progressive scan so I dont even know how good ps would look on it. I wanted to get an upconverting dvd player but I wanted to make sure if it would make a big difference on my set. Which player would you recomend for my tv. Also I dont care about dvd-a or sacd since I'm not much of a music listener, so I dont really need the ability to play them.

Someone please help me.

Ito
Unregistered guest
A dvd's native video is YCbCr. If sent from hdmi to hdmi it stays in this form. Your tv has dvi so the player must convert YCbCr to RGB video using Rec 601 for 480i and 480p. The problem is some upconverting players incorrectly use the hi-def color decoder Rec709 and will cause the colors to be displayed incorrectly. For this not to happen the player must always use the standard def decoder Rec601 on RGB signals when sending 720 or 1080. Ask your salesman which upconverting player uses Rec601 on RGB signals to a dvi input on the display when upconverting to 720 or 1080.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us