CRT RPTV questions

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 72
What are the negatives compared to LCD, PLasma, DLP or LCOS sets in regards to picture quaility?

OR any other comparsions

CRT RPTV defiently win the price comparisons!

From what i've been reading I've almost put a nail in the coffin and not consider a CRT but then i compare prices and there 50% cheaper the same screen size tv. SO what do you gain for the extra money in DLP, LCD, AND lcos, Plasma i would never pay that much for.....

What i read DLP will give u rainbows and headaches from a color wheel. LCD gives you shadow door or what ever they call it and LCOS green tinting....

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
The only disadvantages to a CRT is it size (space requirements)and sensitivity to glare. If you have a large enough room which is not overly bright a properly calibrated CRT will provide you with the best picture for the least money.

One other factor to consider is the WAF (wife acceptance factor), many a spouce has said "I won't have that ugly box in my living room". :-)

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
LOL ya WAF in my house too. Power of The P***Y

hehe censored for younger readers :-)

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I suppose I should mention (before someone else does) that CRT's may also experience burn-in under certain long term viewing conditions wheras DLP and LCD will not. As long as you adjust the CRT after it is in your home from the showroom "torch mode" you should not have any burn-in trouble. That is why a professional ISF calibration is useful as well as to give you the best possible picture.

Personally I have a 65" Sony CRT downstairs and a 61" RCA DLP upstairs. I am happy wih both pictures and units. Moving a 350 lb display to my upstairs bedroom is the primary reason I went with DLP over another CRT model.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
well i've got a 36" crt toshiba that is about 6 years old and no burn in yet hehe. I turn the tv off if i put a game on pause to go away from the tv for any length of time. the only think I don't like about crt is magnetics. I almost screwd the tv up bad because of unshield speakers opps.

The only thing i can say regarding weight of a crt vs same size dlp or lcd is that u figure the weight of the tv + the weight of the stand you are approaching 200lbs aswell and since crt cabinets usaly come with wheels on the bottom(my mothers 65" sony did a few years ago) the tv is rather easy to move around. I would think it would be a pain to unattach a tv from a stand to move them sepreatly to a new location, and wouldn't move it as one(one screw in the back of your tv is the safest way to move it.)

I'm thinking of just waiting to the 1080p comes out for tvs. We are remodling and by the time it gets done and the time it takes to save for the tv these sets should be out. LOL for 2 arms a leg and 2 ears and a collar bone ;)

Anonymous

Plus the flickering, emission of CRT. It has excellent PQ though.

Unregistered guest
I have a 42" CRT HDTV (Toshiba) and I love it. I spent a lot of time calibrating the set and run it with quality sources.

I took some time yesterday looking (I mean really looking) at the newer alternatives. I tried to pick ones that were getting an HD feed to give them the best chance.

They looked great from a distance but up-close most were blotchy and unconvincing. The best by far was the Sharp (about 37") Aquos LCD, bright and very clean. The plasmas and DLP projectors were flashy but ultimately dissapointing.

Having said that CRTs need proper set-up to look their best, they are hopeless in light rooms and I suspect they are inherently unreliable due to their large number of fragile parts.

I use my TV mostly as a "movie projector" late at night with little ambient light. I still find myself saying WOW when viewing certain images from DVD or HDTV. Having said all this my technical level is such that I can handle minor service level calibrations such as convergence and color balancing. If not these services are expensive and might need repeat treatments.

Idealy I'd like a Sony Trinitron direct view CRT but the largest 16.9 screen size is 34" and after seeing a bigger screen I don't think I could go back.

Owning a CRT is a bit like operating an old Jag: it's the smoothest ride on the road but it will be in the shop far more often than a Toyota.

Username: Psu828694

Post Number: 9
I had a 51" RPT CRT and sold it to buy new technology. I got the Sony KDF55655 LCD RPT. WOW!!! It blows away the other, and it is not even close. The colors and image are amazing!!(note:this thing is built for HDTV, and that is where it really shines)alyhough, all my SD channels look 2x as good on this than the old set. I can have all the lights on in my basement and no glare, and the viewing angle is incrediable. Please, I beg, do not buy a CRT!! Well, good luck finding one anyway.

P.s. this Sony I got sits on a table and weighs a mere 85 pounds, vs my old one at 225 pounds. :-)

Unregistered guest
Joe

I'm interested to know what your old set was. Was it an HTDV and was it properly calibrated with correct greyscale, convergence etc.

Most new CRTs look dreadful out of the box and really need professional calibration before they truly shine.

After calibration my Toshiba looked like a completely different TV. Colors are so natural they look real and image detail and black level are spot on.

I've got nothing against new technologies. In fact, I'm looking to get a smaller Sharp Aquos HDTV for my bedroom. I just know that CRTs are capable of fantastic film-like image if properly set up and as I said in my last post they're not really suited to general viewing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us