Akai PT5598HDI or Samsung HC-P4752W at Sams

Username: Jcam

Post Number: 1
HI,
Sams Club has an Akai PT5598HDI 55 " HDTV for $1297 and a Samsung HC-P4752W HDTV monitor with component stand for $1047. Both units have DVI inputs, the Akai has a built in HD tuner, and the Akai is 55" vs 47" for the Samsung. Side by side in the store, images in both look about the same. Which is the better deal? Which one should I get?
Thanks

Username: Bucfan

Post Number: 4
Hello, I am also interested in either of these televisions. Have you gotten any more info or have you decided on one yet. Please let me know. Thank you. You can email me if you want.

BRAD

whatname
Unregistered guest
Definitely suggest to get Akai. We got Akai PT5598HDIX for $1099 before tax several days ago. It has a built-in tuner which will cost several hundred bucks if buy separately. We love it so far. With HDTV, we can receive HD channels. Now we have 4 PBSs (1 regualr + 3 HD channels). Major TV stations offer HD channels, including CBS, NBC, FOX and so on.

Akai PT5598HDIX also has two antenna receivers which allows you to set up air and cable at the same time.

SamT
Unregistered guest
I bought a 5598HD from Sam's last week. So far, not bad. Getting dishnw HD installed tonight, so haven't seen how it looks in HD yet. DVD on component only, not thrilled but not bad. One thing: The DVI port won't accept a signal from my HTPC. Found buried in the manual that a pc signal is 'not compatible' with the DVI port on the tv. Anyone know a way around this?

Anonymous

I just bought a Akai pt5598hdix/sms from Sam's Club. The HDtuner for off air(not cable) tunes better than my USDigital HDTV-tuner I purchased at Walmart almost a year ago. The Akai has both your standard and HD tuners for off air reception. I paid $900 . Couldn't believe the price. They said at the time I bought it, no more were on order. They only had two in stock. No complaints. Excellent price. [Baltimore Area].

Unregistered guest
My wife bought me the Akai PT5598HDIX for my birthday and I love it. But, I noticed a little red smudge on the screen. I tried to clean it but it must be in the inside of the screen. I'm not sure but I think I can take the front off of the tv and clean it. I was able to do this with my dad's 65" Mitsubishi that I got him. Can I do this with this tv also?

Unregistered guest
I looked at the Akai PT5598HDI at Sams, and the way they had it set up (signal through various TVs) it didn't look so hot. I played with the settings and couldn't seem to fix it much. When I got to the allignment, it seemed the center was off from the sides, and it wouldn't adjust. They have another one in a box. Anyway, My 50" HD ready 4x3 Mitsubishi is toast (after 6 years), and that's what I need to replace. In the opinions of those who own this, will this image be as good as what I'm used to?

thanks!

Tom Matz
Unregistered guest
I went back to Sams and realized the picture was bad compared to the other TVs since they had component in to the other TVs, and 1 RCA video out from another TV to the Akai inout. Of course it looked bad like that, maybe that's why they still had a few in stock. I bought the Akai PT5598HDI at Sams for $1,099 plus tax. I changed to a hi-definition cable box using component outputs and it looks great. Really nice with the high-def channels. On some standard programs, the antenna input from the cable box looks better than the component, but for the most part, the component is definitely best. I've never even tried the internal speakers, I use a pretty serious surround set up.

I switched to a basic Samsung Progresive scan DVD player and it looked better set at Interlace than Progressive scan. Maybe because it's a cheap player, I'm not sure. Maybe different DVDs look different?

Anyway, good TV for a great price.

Teewinot
Unregistered guest
I have had this TV since May of 2004 and think it is a great set. I have tweaked the service settings in the beginning and have self alligned the service convergence screen and my picture is as close to perfect as you can get. I use the OTA tuner on all the Fox sports because my cable company doesn't carry Fox Sports in HD. This is a nice feature when you need it.

Username: Caleb

Denver, Co USA

Post Number: 2
Can anybody tell me how to bypass my directv box and utilize a set top HD antenna for broadcast tv channels with this set?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us