How to add 5.1 HT to my existing stereo system?

Username: Dennislwl

Post Number: 1
Dear all,

I am new in 5.1 HT. I am now have an existing stereo system for listening music (a pair of speaker, stereo amplifer and a dvd/sacd player). How to expand my existing system to a 5.1 HT?
I know, i have to buy an AV receiver, 3 more speakers (center and surrounds) and a Subwoofer.
The problem is i want to use my stereo amplifer to listen music (only front speakers on). and use AV receiver on movie. How to connect all components together?
I really confused and need help. Thanks a lot.

Dennis

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1319
An AV receiver is also capable of doing stereo.
What you can do is use the pre-amp output of your soon to be AV receiver and hook it up to your older stereo system. Use said stereo system to listen to just stereo music.

NEW HT RECEIVER --> OLD STEREO --> Front left/right speakers

NEW HT RECEIVER --> Center speakers, Left/Right Surround speakers.

Post Number: 2
Excellent! Thanks Berny,
But if connect like this, Does the HT receiver will affect the quality of the stereo sound?
How to control the volume in HT and stereo mode?
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1329
The quality of the stereo sound will depend on the receiver you will be using. It does not mean it will be bad.

The volume control for everything will be done by the HT receiver. But you can also make adjustments on the stereo amplifier.

Post Number: 3
Thanks again Berny,
Why i asked about whether the coming HT receiver affect the stereo music quality, is becasue it directly affect the choice (hi-end or low-end) of the receiver. I think i will use 70% music and 30% movie. So, Stereo quality is important. If the HT receiver affect the stereo quality, Maybe i should choose more hi-end HT receiver. (But it will make my stereo amp's exist no sense!).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us