Athena vs Orb

Cara
Unregistered guest
Hello-

I'm looking to match some speakers with my Panasonic SA-HE200 5.1 and I'm leaning towards the Athena Audition series (AS-F2,AS-B2, etc) or the Orb Mod 2. My room is about 20' x 20' with cathedral ceilings. Anybody have any preferences for a total package at $800 - $1000? Thanks.

Cara

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1209
The Athenas would be a better set of speakers for your room. The Orbs are excellent but they just don't have the oomph.
cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 38
I have the Orbs in a bigger room and they have plenty of oomph. The sub is a monster and the Mod2 satellites are extremely loud and efficient. The system is much louder (and clearer) than my friend's 4+ foot tall Klipsch floor standing speakers. The Athenas are good, too, but don't write off the Orbs. They will definitely exceed your expectations.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1219
Well, there you go! An Orb satisfied owner. The key thing is that you have to go and listen and decide on what you like.

Monologue, how long have you had the Orbs? I may have to go and get them for a 30 day evaluation:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I've had them nearly a year now...bought them after I heard them at a friend's place. I started out w/ the Mod1 system but upgraded to the Mod2 system about 6 months ago when Orb got the promotion from 2nd system to primary system.

Cara
Unregistered guest
Its interesting but the difference between Athena AS-F2,C1,B2,and P400 Sub vs Orb Sub and Mod 2 Left, Center, and Right and Mod 1 for the (2) Rear has the Athenas coming in at $100.00 more. I'm willing to spend $100.00 more for something noticeably better. What do you think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1229
Have you listened to any of these systems? I can recommend all I want, but if you go home and not like the set-up, disappointment will be too easy to place on somebody else. Monologue is very happy with his set-up, I have auditioned numerous speakers and I can usually tell what people may like and some that you can downright hate, but I am still waiting to audition these series so I can't recommend them...just the Athenas.
If you think you can get a bargain, that is entirely up to you.
cheers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
My guess is that you'll be happy with either system. The speakers you are considering are fairly different in terms of size...is that an issue for you at all?

Cara
Unregistered guest
To coin a phrase, size doesn't matter. I happen to have lots of room for virtually anything I could come up with.

Bronze Member
Username: Matthew2582

Raymore, MO United States

Post Number: 39
Athena builds extremely high quality speakers at astonishingly low prices. Components used are really very high end, cabinets are acoustically very inert and their musicality is significantly above average and their designers are not only committed to musicality but are also at the cutting edge of speaker design.

Regards

Matthew

Username: Ahuja784

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 3
I have ORB mod1 for 6 months now... EXCELLENT !!. No complaints. Amazing sound and THE oomph. Need not say my wife and all her friends call it "cutie pie". They r small and beautifull.

I am sure even Athena is good, but orb scores for size and beauty.

Regards
Amit
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us