Need help with cable and set up

Anonymous
Hi,
I just bought Onkyo HTS650 and I already have TV, VCR and DVD player. My problem is I don't know what cable should I get for the system and how to set up correctly. My friend recommend me that I should buy all new cables for speaker, DVD, and VCR because the cable come with system is not good. Can anyone help me? Where should I get all the cable?

Thanks

Ok, here is a suggestion. You don't have to break the bank to start out. I just purchased a Monster Cable 300 subwoofer cable to start and just upgraded the speaker wire to 16 gauge. For the input from your DVD player, I would recommend getting a cheap OPTICAL cable (around $15) to start. If your DVD only supports coaxial output for 5.1 than stop down at your local radio shack and get their home theater line of cable. It is reasonably priced and you won't really be able to hear much of a difference if you compared it to a cable twice its value. I was lucky and happened to have some leftover Phoenix Gold RCAs from a previous car stereo installation. I used them for hooking up my TV (to the video 1 input). My VCR I just kept hooked into my TV since my TV outputs stereo anyways.

So, here is how it should look. Start by upgrading the speaker wire to at least 16 gauge. Next upgrade the subwoofer cable to a cable that is dedicated for low frequency signals. Make sure you attatch your DVD player to the best possible output/input you can. Start with the optical, if not, than go with the coaxial. Finally, I would than upgrade your other RCAs as money provides. Really don't have to spend a bundle here folks to make things sound decent.

By the way, how do you like the 650? This is my first HT and I am loving it!!!

Hope this helps!

DeNile Williams
I have a Panasonic large tv. I have dish network. I have a small stero that plays dvds and that is currently hooked up so i can watch dvd on tv. My problem is how to add a vcr hook up. Do I run the incoming dish to it, then out to the stero/dvd then into the tv? or what?
Thanks

Tom L.
-Anonymous
i also just purchased the HTS650 i didnt even want to look at the cable that came with the system so i IMMEDIATELY went to Home Depot and bought 1 spool of 100 feet 16 Gauge RCA Speaker wire for only $13.99, as for the subwoofer i had some DUAL RCA monster cable and i just splited them and used one side to hook up to my SUBWOOFER and the other one to the S/PDIF out of my DVD player and into the receiver. that was a cheap and VERY effective upgrade. BTW: is that okay that i used RCA AUDIO cable to plug into my SUBWOOFER, and the other into the S/PDIF??

Anonymous
i just broke down and bought a 100 ft spool of monster cable (i believe it was 16 gauge). just make sure you measure it out before you chop it all up.

shiela gorgeous
ive got a total factory system and its rockin man!!!!!!!!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us