Entry Level Home Theater System - Guidance Needed!

Hi,

I'm looking for an entry level Home Theater System to keep in my 2BR Apt. I have shortlisted Bose Acoustimass 6 II Series speakers (5 plus subwoofer) with 600 Watts output.

The receivers I have shorlisted are

1. Panasonic SAHE200K - DTS-ES, Dolby Digital EX, 6.1 Surround Sound pricing from $350 to $500 in different websites and stores.

2. PIONEER VSXD811S - Same features as said above.

3. JVC RX8020VBK Or RX-VBK8020 - Same feature as said above.

4. Onkyo TXSR600 - Same features as said above

5. Kenwood - I don't know the model number

Out of all five JVC model is priced for Cheal($330) in walmart.com. But, Pioneer model is rated best in circuitcity.com; then panasonic model.

Since all these models are made for 6.1 surround sound, I would need another 'rear surround' speaker. I'm thinking of buying separate Bose Center Channel speaker and use center channel speaker in the Acoustimass 6 II Speaker package as 'rear surround' speaker. OR other option is, if I buy the Panasonic SAHE200K receiver from crutchfield.com for $500, they provide a center channel speaker for free.

The total estimated price goes over $900.

Now, Please suggest me if the above said combination would work fine or not. Lot of people have more experience and knowledge about HT systems. Please recommend me any good receiver for 6.1 surround system; hence provide me your opinions if you own these systems.

Thank You!

I wouldn't mind giving you my opinions on a few things. Personally I think 6.1 is gimmicky. That center surround doesn't add very much to the listening experience, but it does add more expense and sometimes causes issues with placement.

I've heard crutchfield prices are high.

Run away from bose, it really is crappy. Also you can do much better for close to the same price than JVC, Technics, Panasonic receivers. The Onkyo 600 is nice, but if you take my advice and stick with the 5.1 the 500 is adequite. You might want to listen to the MArantz 4200/5200, Denon 1603 and the Sherwood Newcastle R756 (mine).

All of these are way better than the ones you listed baring the Onkyo.

As for speakers, I always suggest Canadian made, because they present the best value for the dollar with the quality and favorable exchange. If you can order online or buy in Canada its even better. Often the price tag in the US is the same as in Canada and with $1USD buying around $1.65CDN thats good value!

Some companies you might want to look at are Axiom (I believe is the best value and you can order online), paradigm, energy, totem, mirage, psb. Those are the big ones.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/cgi-bin/a.pl?speakers&1134&index.html
http://www.paradigm.ca

Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Oh as for a package from Axiom I would reccomend the Epic master. The M3's are an award winning speaker.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us