Calling all pros--newbie needs help!

Username: Robertwv

Post Number: 1
I just bought my first HD tv--a Sony 30hs420--and I already have a few questions. I tried to get some answers from the guy at Best Buy, but the more he talked, the more confused I got. (Isn't that always the way?) Anyway, I'd appreciate any and all info you guys could send my way. Here's what I'm having troubles with. I apologize if these seem like dumb questions.

1. The tv is widescreen. Will my dvd player automatically "know" it's sending a signal to a widescreen tv, or will I have to format my dvd player somehow? And what if I want to watch a full screen 4:3 movie or tv show? One guy told me all I had to do was put the tv on "standard" screen, while another one said the only way I could watch a full screen movie was if I ran it through a video S cable. Which is it?

2. I'm running my dvd audio through my stereo system. I only have two speakers. (I can't really afford 5 speaker surround sound right now.) Anyway, I'm just running the dvd audio though my "normal" stereo settings--more or less the same settins I use for my CD's. I do have the option of setting the receiver on Dolby Prologic, Simulated Surround, Dolby 3 Channel Logic, and something called Studio. Which should I use? (Keep in mind I only have two speakers.) Also, should I change my options on the dvd itself? For example, Lord of the Rings has audio for both 5.1 Dobly Digital EX Surround Sound and 2.0 Stereo Surround Sound. What would be the best one for my set-up, or doesn't it matter?

3. What's the difference between analog audio (red and white wires) and coaxial (one yellow wire)? Both my dvd player and my receiver have red and white holes and the single yellow hole. Which should I use? I already know how to use analog. If I wanted to use coaxial, would I just run the single yellow wire from my dvd player to my receiver, or is it more complicated than that? Would I have to re-format my receiver, my dvd player, etc.?

4. I first ran my dvd audio into the Laser Disc ports on the back of my reciever. I wasn't able to get a signal, so I switched the wires to the TV ports, and now I get a pretty good signal. Is that okay, or should I set it up a different way?

Again, I apologize if these are dumb questions. Well, take care. Thanks for your time.

johnm
Unregistered guest
1) Good question. If you got a newer Sony DVD player to go with your tv the screen may adjust by itself. If not, make the adjustment on your tv (screen format), not on your dvd player.
Same with a 4:3 picture. If you want it stretched to fit your screen use the tv's screen formats.

2) Another good question. I'd choose the "normal" stereo setting if you only have two speakers. You can try "simulated surround" while a movie is playing to see if you like it or not. It sets up a simulated wide sound but may cause an echo effect which may or may not be annoying.
If a DVD gives you choices pick any "stereo" or "2.0" setting since thats what you have.

3) Yet another good question. Stick with the white/red analog for now it's fine. If you ever upgrade your speaker/receiver you'll want to upgrade to a optical cable for great sound.

4) Last good question. TV audio ports on the receiver are fine. Again, if you ever upgrade your receiver make sure it has "DTS" capability and "optical" input.

Last point- Since you got yourself a nice HDTV you probably want the best picture from your DVD player right? Make sure your using "component" connections, that's the red/green/blue. If your DVD player doesn't have this output you should consider an upgrade. If you do go for an upgrade i'd recommend a sony, progressive scan, component video output, optical audio output.

newbie04
Unregistered guest
"Robert Voedisch - What's the difference between analog audio (red and white wires) and coaxial (one yellow wire)? Both my dvd player and my receiver have red and white holes and the single yellow hole. Which should I use? I already know how to use analog. If I wanted to use coaxial, would I just run the single yellow wire from my dvd player to my receiver, ...."

johmn, I understand that on the dvd player/ receiver, yellow hole means video out and red/white holes are for audio out. Coxial is a different hole.
Also yellow wire is not the coxial, it is composite cable. Is it correct?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us