Interference problem

I am getting nightly interference from a CB radio or something similar through my main front speakers of my audio system. I talked to someone at a local hi-fi shop, and he was sure I was picking up noice through the wiring in my house, which was being transfered through my power strip and out my speakers. I purchased an Acoustic Research power strip that eliminates interference, but the problem still exists. I have also replaced the speaker cable with the AR brand, which seemed to have a thick insulation.

One more note. The interference is only coming through the main speakers, not the center channel or the surrounds. Any ideas on how the interference is getting to my speakers, and how to eliminate it? Thanks for the help.

po
Try this to isolate the problem. Unplug your center channel as you say you have no noise there. Now run your left speaker (that has the noise problem) into the center channel connection on your receiver. Don't change the speaker wire, just move the connection on the back of the receiver from the left speaker to the center speaker. Play something to see if noise still persists. If noise persists, then it is either the speaker cabling or the speaker itself (unlikely).

If the noise goes away, then the noise source is somewhere in the receiver and is being sent out only the L/R channels. It's not likely your power as power is distributed to all channels. Could be those front speaker amp stages. Sometimes the front L/R speakers have a pretty different path through the amp as they are crucial for music.

po
You got "B" speaker connectors on the back of your receiver? If so, try them as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us