Not receiving Dolby Digital or DTS sound from receiver

I have a Sony receiver and using an optical out, but I am not receiving DTS or Dolby Digital sound. My dvd player says Dolby Digital, but receiver says Dolby Pro logic. How can my movies play in Dolby Digital

Dolby Pro Logic is a format that preceded Dolby Digital. It had four channels encoded on the two analog channels. Front left, right and center and a rear surround field. Does your Sony receiver also say Dolby Digital and/or DTS on it. If not it will not process Dolby Digital or DTS. But if that were the case I'd have no idea why it would have an optical input.

Cota
What model Sony receiver do you have?

Anonymous
Is your receiver set to auto decode for DD or DTS or do you have to swich it? Does your receiver have DD and DTS logos on the front? Do you have to assign inputs on your receiver for the dvd player? Are you sure your set up menu on your dvd player is set up right? What are the model numbers of your gear?

Anonymous
You may need to buy an updated receiver. All new receivers come with Dolby Digital and DTS surround modes. They also support Dolby Pro Logic. An excellent budget digital receiver is Pioneer's entry model VSX-D412.

Unregistered guest
I have a Pioneer VSX-D812 receiver. I have a progressive scan DVD player hooked up with an optical cable. My first question is does anyone know what the best mode is for this setup? For example Cinema (Neo 6), Movie (Pro-logic II). I have it on Standard Cinema (Neo 6). Second what db should each speaker be set too? (from 0-10db)
I'm constantly fine tuning it and I can't seem to get the perfect sound. Does anyone know of any universal settings for this receiver? All advice and infomation would be great.

Username: Project6

Post Number: 109
the best way to set it up is by using a sound level meter...get one from radio shack
cheers

Username: Hampshire

Post Number: 6
Michael, the universal settings would be to have all speakers set at 0db. However, speaker size, brand, placement will effect what settings you want. Your receiver should have a TEST mode on it or a lot of THX dvds have a TEST track on them that plays white noise (like a hiss) that goes from left, to center, to right, to right rear, to left rear, to sub. You can then adjust the db +/- for the center and rear speakers so the volume levels sound the same to your ear. Or, as Berny mentioned, get a sound level meter for an exact read.

Anonymous

I have a Pioneer VSX-D811 S receiver. I purchased it 2 years back and i attached with a dvd player with optical cable. But till now iam not able to get a good quality surround sound from my receiver. i keep on trying the setting, but not much difference . I will be greatful if any body guide me to set the receiver to get good surround sound. To hear songs, what kind of CDs ( dolby digital/mp3 etc) i should use to get good surround sound. I have a collection of MP3 songs. please advice me the settings to havae good quality sound from a mP3 disc.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 597
CDs don't provide good surround sound, they are always in stereo, and the only way to matrix them out to the surrounding speakers is by using pro-logic on your receiver. Unless we are talking about SACDs or DVD-Audio, these are recorded in surround formats.
MP3s are generally poor quality recordings as the compression is geared toward portability and not fidelity.

Anonymous

dvd player should be configured for this. Enable bitsreaming at the settings for sound of your DVD player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us