Subwoofer questions.

Username: Redrhino

Post Number: 4
How do I know which subwoofers work best with my surround sound system? Does anyone recommend any subwoofers that are grest, but not too expensive? I will add more questions as I think of them. Thanks.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
It quite often works best to simply stay with the same brand as your front speakers. Otherwise there are plenty of good subs you can choose from.

Username: Redrhino

Post Number: 6
Why is it best to stay with the same brand of subwoofer as my front speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1089
Budget?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
The front speakers, in particular, should match in timber as much as possible. Usually you will want match L-C-R at the very minimum. But a same brand subwoofer will give you the additional timber matching as the frequencies are crossed over and, in part, shared by the different drivers that are generating the signal. A subwoofer does not start at 80 Hz and the main speakers do not stop at 80Hz. There is an octave or more up and down where the speakers are both reproducing the same signal. So between 160 to 40 Hz (or possibly greater amounts) both speakers are working together. Matching speakers to sub by manufacturer will give the smoothest transition through this area.
Otherwise, if you don't care to follow this route the best subwoofer is the one you like the most just like you picked your speakers.

K-Dizzle
Unregistered guest
This is a little confusing.I have two 12" subs and they have two round terminals. The box I have came with wire already in it to wire to the subs with two female electrical connectors t the end. Is there an adapter to onnect the female electrical connectors to the big round ones on the sub, or do I have to cut and strip the wire in the box and add a different type of terminal, like the one on the subs?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us