Onkyo TX-NR801 or Denon AVR-3805 with B&W speakers?

Username: Skyraev

Post Number: 1
I am planning to do a surround setup using B&W DM600 speakers. My question is, what receiver to get. I can't afford to buy all the components right away so I'm adding to it as money comes in.

I have a set of B&W DM602 S3 speakers that I want to use as the front left/right. The next step is the receiver.

Right now I have an Onkyo TX-NR801 on loan and for the most part I like it. It plays really well with my 602s, but my concern is that it will have a hard time driving the whole 5.1 B&W setup. I've been searching for info on this receiver for a while and depending on the source the Onkyo is either "plenty powerful" or "strugling to put out even half the rated power".

The other option I am considering is the Denon AVR-3805. It seems like most people love this receiver. The downside to me is that it's a couple hundred dollars more and it doesn't have the Net-Tune, which after only a day has grown on me.

Since I can't afford to buy the whole speaker system before I have to bring the Onkyo back I would love to hear some opinions on this.

Ed Sullivan
Unregistered guest
If there inst a major problem with the reciever i dont see why it shouldnt unless the speakers your buying are of a too low impedance for the reciever or if tere sensitivity is too low which i doubt both of whixh woud make the reciever look weak

Sam Maurus
Unregistered guest
Sky

Have owned an Onkyo TXNR801 since the day it first shipped to Australia (bout 7 months). I work as a home theatre consultant at a retail outlet. I am running 5.1 (eventually 7.1) Dali Suites (Denmark). These are 4-ohm speakers (The 801 has 4-ohm speaker switching).

The system has impressed all of my collegues considering the price point. The 'pure audio' mode is very impressive and I have never had any power issues. Note though that the 6th/7th channels double as zone 2 on the back (Hence cannot run 7.1 + zone 2).

Although it has nothing to do with sound, 7 digital inputs, learning remote (fully backlit), net-tune and a 5-year warranty (in Australia) confirms its status as a serious receiver, I believe it's the best bang fou your buck.

Hope you enjoy whichever one you choose.

Sam from OZ
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us