Help Please!

Benjamin L
Unregistered guest
Hey Guys,
I have a 35" Citizen Stereo TV and it comes with two different A/V input spots as well as a S-Video spot. I currently use the S-Video to hook my computer up to my TV and that works fine. I was wondering though if it is possible to hook up an amp to my TV for Cable TV and PS2 etc. I think you need A/V outputs but I was hoping there was some other way. If there is some possible way to do this, even if I'm not using an amp and just hooking up speakers, please let me know. Thanks,
-Ben
P.S. I know it's a really newb question but I suk with this kind of stuff =p

Ed Sullivan
Unregistered guest
by amp you mean reciever i would geuss you can puschas a stero one for sub 100 dollars and route the cable tv ps2 and comp through it and then use the recievers out puts to your tv and jus utilise the tvs speakers and possibly up the line get a set of stero speakes

a much cheaper and more practical solutioin for your situation would be to get a a/v switch for 30 bucks tops from radio shack and hook up the sources through that and then to the tv giving you more like 4 inputs or more for the tv if u want a link to the product just ask ill come up with one for ya

Benjamin L
Unregistered guest
sure, I wouldn't mind a link for one please. Once I hook the sources up through the A/V switch how would I get a few seperate speakers I have working for them?
Thanks,
-Ben

Ed Sullivan
Unregistered guest
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F003%5F010%5F011%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1983

ya i know long link lol but itl get you to the item 19.99 4 sources and it will upconvert the composite (one yellow plug) to the svideo for the other sources
speaker wise this would use the speakers in your tv now if you want to get bigger and or better speakers you woud eith have to buy a reciever and stero speakers or even surronf sound but that would make the a/v switch a moot point purchase or youcould buy a mini stero system that haas like a am/fm tuner in it a cd player etc and hook it up thorught the out puts of your tv which would have all the sound from the other sources because they go through the switch and then into the tv

Benajmin L
Unregistered guest
Ok, thanks. I have a reciever and some speakers but they're a bit older but hopefully they'll work. I thought I need A/V outputs though when I have only A/V inputs. Thank a lot man,
-Ben

Benjamin L
Unregistered guest
The receiver I found in my basement is a PIONEER stereo Receiver SX-680. I'm not entirely sure how good or bad this is and if it will work for what I want it to do. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.
-Ben

Ed Sullivan
Unregistered guest
If the reciever has a/v inputs (i coudnt find the model online to lok at it) then the tv does not have to have a/v outputs because your taking the audio before it goes to the tv from the sources so the tv has nothing to so with the audio if your using the reciever and as for quality i can say pioneer makes some great stuff very lon lasting and relably

Benjamin L
Unregistered guest
Ok gotcha, so I'm going to buy a AV splitter hook what I want into that (PS2, and DVD) then take AV cables and plug them from the inputs from my TV to the inputs on the Receiver and hook some speakers up to the reviever and I'm all set? will it still work for cable TV even thought my cable is plugged into the TV and not the splitter? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I got everything right before I go and spend a bunch of cash. Thanks a lot for all the help man,
-Ben

Ed Sullivan
Unregistered guest
no not exactly i think we got a lil mixed up there if you have the reciever on hand there you do not need a splitter considering the reciever has enought a/v inputs for the source you want to use

basicly you would take the a/v out puts from ps2 and dvd to the inputs of th reciever then take the ouptup of the reciever (a/v) and plug that to the tv then if you want to listen to cable through the reciever you must take the output from the tv back to the reciever to get the sound from the reciever a bit complex but that what it takes

Benjamin L
Unregistered guest
ok, gotcha but one more question...

"if you want to listen to cable through the reciever you must take the output from the tv back to the reciever"

My TV doesn't have outputs, only inputs. =/

Ed Sullivan
Unregistered guest
unfortunatly if your tv only has inpusts your screwed on runnin your sound through the reciever aslong as your using the tv as your tuner if you have a VCR layin around to use that as your tuner and hook it up to one of the a/v inouts on the reciever and problem solved

Benjamin L
Unregistered guest
Nice, thanks so much for all the help man, really appreciate it.
-Ben
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us