Receiver cuts off!

Username: Mbridges86

Post Number: 1
Why does my receiver (kenwood) cut off when the volume get too high? When I'm watching a movie or playing video games, when something loud happens (explosion, loud sound effect) the receiver cuts off. What's the deal?

Any info appreciated!!

johnm
Unregistered guest
I'd first recommend checking your speakers impedance (4,6,or 8 ohm). If you have a low impedance speaker (4 or 6) then check the back of your reciever or the owners manual to see if it accepts low impedance speakers. Sometimes they don't or sometimes you have to set your receiver to accept them.
The reason your receiver may be cutting off is that it has a built in safety feature that will shut down power if it overheats by driving a low impedance speaker.

Ed Sullivan
Unregistered guest
also you may have cooling problems with the locatiion of the reciever if it dosent have enough room to "breathe" it will over heat and shut down also try just simply turnin it down a bit and if it aint loud enough then get a higher powered reciever or buy speakers with a higherr senisitivity because every 3db gain in sensitivity is a double in the amp for which means a speaker with 90db at 1watt at 1meter would twice as loud as a 87db at one wat at one meter givin the same amount of powwer

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Ed - Three dB does not equate to twice as loud. You need about ten dB to go twice as loud. Check the dBW table under "Definitions and descriptions" in the Speaker section of the forum.

Username: Zyepod

GA USA

Make sure all your speakers are working. A friend had a 6 channel system (2 surround 1 rear surround) One of the three surrounds had stopped working (not sure why) this was causing an impedance problem thus the reciever would shut down with high volume. Change out the bad speaker... Problem solved...

Rex Staples
Unregistered guest
I have a 4-year old Kenwood VR309 that does the exact same thing. Ever since I moved from an apartment to a house a year ago, my Kenwood would shut down when playing a digital source (coax or optical) at high volume. Since this past weekend it will shut down on non-digital sources at high volume as well. The unit shuts off and the red power led flashes. The unit is not very warm, the space is well-ventilated, and I can turn the unit back on immediately, so I am at a loss as to what the problem is. I am wondering if it could be that the unit enters the safety mode because the voltage on the outlet drops. I have no clue, only guessing. I just don't want to buy a new receiver only to find out I had a different problem.

Username: U8myufo

Well mike as a newbie I dont know that much but all of the suggestions so far seem worth a try. Here is one more and the same happened to me justa couple of days ago, and the problem was due to me pushing the spike of one of the floorstanders straight down through the cable of one of the rears. Doh!!! Hope you get it sorted

Anonymous

I have the same problem and it occurs even at -28dB. I have the VR616 Kenwood receiver which I purchased as a entire home theater unit (HTB775DV), so the speakers are Kenwood and came with the unit. I just wrote to Kenwood with questions. Obviously since we are all having the same problem it has to do with Kenwood. I will post whatever response I receive. Has anyone found out what the problem was with their unit?

Username: Puddy

Check to make sure none of your wiring is crossed. I had this happen to my kenwood and then found that where my left surround connections entered the wall jacks, the negative lead was touching the positive post. Everytime a signal was sent to that channel, my kenwood would turn off.

Anonymous

I have a Kenwood AV receiver which has worked fien for a few years. When switching sources it used to give a "click" when activating the Surround sound. It now seems to switch the Surround sound on and off intemittently and when off is very muffled.

Any ideas?

Username: 1sctrojan

Post Number: 3
I'm having the same problem with my new Pioneer VSX-D814 and my Polks. When an intense movie like LOTR or Term 3 is on, the receiver says "overload" and shuts off. This is the most rediculous thing i've heard of. I don't know what to do.

Username: Blaine3119

Kokomo, Indiana USA

Post Number: 2
Same here with my Pioneer VSX-D814, messing with some new crossovers I got, put them in my mains and whenever I turned the volume up over halfway, "overload" and shut off. Put original crossovers back in mains and no more problems with overload. Now back to original problem, when listening at high volume, sound cuts completely out for just a fraction of a second then back on again !!!! May try putting a fan above the receiver, instructions say to have 8 inches of clearence above receiver, but I only have about 4 inches above receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us