PLEASE HELP...HOME THEATRE SETUP FRUSTATIONS!!!

Ok, here is my problem. For my home theatre system I have a TV, DVD, VCR, and Receiver (with 5.1 system). I have cable with no cable box. From everything I have seen I am supposed to run the cable into the VCR then from the VCR into the Receiver. My problem is that I have a mono VCR! This will destroy my audio quality, right??? My other option would've been to run my cable directly into my DVD and then my DVD to my Receiver, but I have no RF inputs or outputs on my DVD player! Any advice on how this should be setup so I can maximize my audio!

Anonymous
Sounds like your only option is to go through your reciever with all components. Of course you will only get mono with a mono VCR. Your DVD is a player only so of course it will not have any inputs. Your reviever is switchable and there for will be the controll center for all components. Naturaly your vidio will have to be interecepeted by one source hopefuly your rciever but if not it will be your VCR or T V only. the VCR will function as a pass through and will have to be on continiously in this mode. Passing throught your VCR will alow you to record. This is where a splitter can come in handy. Splitting to VCR to record and then to Reciever if available or to T V. In this mode VCr will not have to be on continiously. Naturaly when you record on Vcr the signal you recieve will be in Stero but playback will be mono

Oh thanks! One more question.....so what, then, is the best way for me to run my cable wire? Should I run it into my mono VCR or into my TV??

I guess my question is that if I run my cable into my mono VCR will it affect my sound quality when I am using the surround sound speakers while watching TV? Or would the mono VCR truly just be a "pass through" as the previous post suggests.

Is it better to go cable wire from wall -->mono VCR-->Receiver or cable wire from wall -->TV-->Receiver. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Al Holland
Hook the cable to the TV and route your audio from the TV to the receiver.
This should work for stereo and pro-logic if your TV has the connections to allow you to do this.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us