Need a seasoned opinion

Anonymous
I've recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V3200. I'm looking for a set of speakers to maximize this receiver. I've also purchased a subwoofer at a silent auction and would like an honest opinion whether this will be sufficient for the system. The sub is a C12ps made by Directed Electronics under the name a/d/s/ (analog and digital systems) it is a 12" driver. has 500w amp power. Frequency response is 20-250Hz.
Maximum output(@1M) is 110db
Distortion less than 1%
Low Pass crossover Freq. 40Hz to 180Hz, variable
High Pass Crossover Freq. 80Hz, fixed
Both Low & High Crossover slope is 12db per octave
Bass boost or Cut +/-6db variable,centered @35Hz
preamp Input impedance is 50K Ohms
Output Impedance is 20K Ohms

Does this sound Like a good SUB ?? MSRP is supposed to be $800+ and I picked up for $250 brand new.

Next question.. I'm looking at the Mirage Omnisat line for my satalite speakers. Three for the front and two for the back. Probably an additional $1500 investment.
My room is approx 15" x 20" with a 20"peak
I'm new to the game and would appreciate any advice on these components and suggestions.

Derek
I've owned a/d/s before. They were good and for the $250 you spent, it sounds like you got a good deal.

I've heard the Mirage Omnisats and you can indeed hear music evenly in all directions. These speakers are better for music than Home Theatur and Mirage is one of my favorite speaker companies.

Also have a listen to How Hear This, Paradigm, Mission and Monitor Audio.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Derek
Thanks for the info. Hooked up the Sub last night and ran into a few concerns. Minimal buzzing that would come and go. Not sure if this could be the power in the house or signal from the Yamaha??? It was plugged to it's own isolated outlet but the subs lowest setting on the back is 115v. I plan on checking the outlet. Also while playing around had issues with the front grill on the sub. On these models they have a metal grill that seems to be permanently affixed and was hearing a rattle/vibration at medium/ to louder volume. Did you also experience this? My original wish list had a new Velodyne (think this is the spelling) for about $999 and a much smaller unit with heavy plastic cabinet. Just happened upon the a/d/s. Pondering whether to try and exchange the a/d/s or pass along to a friend and move in the original direction. ??
What are the surround concerns for theater with the Mirage?? They sounded great with music at Tweeter and of course the salesman pumped up the overall performance. I will check out your recomendations. Thank you

Derek
There's nothing wrong with the Mirages. Thier omnidirectional pattern makes dialogue difficult to hear as compared to say Klipcsh or JBL. The latter's horns actually don't sound like P.A. systems like you would think. Thier directional sound makes dialogue easy to hear.

The Mirages have a much broader images that fills the room and stays that way no matter where you sit - just like they are designed to do.

Re: the a/d/s... I had small a/d/s speakers along with a pair of Brauns back when Radio Shack first introduced the Minimus 7 and more recently a pair of 6 1/2 inch woofers in the back of my car. Try removing the metal grills and glue them back on with some butyl rubber, available at Home Depot.

Hope that helps.

Andy C
Thank You

Andy C
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us